Author Topic: Charmed Marathon  (Read 30470 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Charmed Marathon
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 01:53:49 AM »
Charmed: Season The Complete Third Season
Three times is a charm! 'Charmed: The Complete Third Season' has three times the power, as well as all of the supernatural thrills and excitement, as the Charmed Ones -- Prue (Shannen Doherty), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) -- deal with being modern-day witches.

How could life get any more complicated for the Halliwell sisters? One learns that her greatest love is also her greatest enemy; another defies The Powers That Be to marry; and tragedy unexpectedly befalls the third, leaving the sisters powerless to stop it.

The perfect potion of suspense-filled adventure, crafty humor and dynamic heroines casts a spell that brings you 22 episodes of pure viewing magic.

Disc 1:

1. The Honeymoon's Over
Prue (Shannen Doherty) and Phoebe (Alyssa Milano) set a killer free in order to protect their identities, then must fight a soul-stealing Guardian without Piper (Holly Marie Combs), who has disappeared with Leo (Brian Krause).

My Thoughts:
The season three premier was done very well. Lots of stuff going on. Piper returning home after disappearing for a month. Cole is introduced... Piper and Leo gets engaged... Phoebe gets a new power. All that besides the weekly demon fighting story. The weekly demon storyline was decent... but not one of the better that I have seen. It did bring up a good question to the sisters just how far should they go within the mortal laws to protect their secret.. in this case being witnesses in a court case.

2. Magic Hour
Piper and Leo defiantly attempt to marry in spite of the wrath from The Powers That Be, as a demon infiltrates the lives of the three Charmed Ones.

My Thoughts:
Leo and Piper tries to get away with a secret wedding... away from the all seeing eyes of the Elders. In the mean time, the sisters try to reunite cursed lovers. I really liked how they did the curse. It reminded me of a movie I seen many years ago that I just can not remember!... but they curse the man to be an owl during the day... and the woman a wolf during the night. I just asked a friend I am chatting with what movie I am trying to think of... she says it is Lady Hawk.

3. Once Upon A Time
Piper goes on strike against The Powers That Be, so Prue and Phoebe must work alone to save a little girl protecting a fairy princess from evil trolls.

My Thoughts:
This one is a really fun episode. WE have fairies... trolls... and Prue and Phoebe on Fairy Dust turning them (mentally) into little kids. but at the same time as being a fun episode... it also has it's emotional side as well. We get some very strong emotions from Piper wanting The Elders to return Leo. Definitely one of my many favorite episodes.

4. All Halliwell's Eve
The Helliwell sisters travel back to the 1600s to protect a coven in danger of extinction and save their own future.

My Thoughts:
If I am remembering correctly... this may be the only Halloween episode of Charmed during their entire 8 season run. I normally don't care for what I call "Period Pieces"... movies/episodes that take place well into the past. But this is definitely an exception. I liked the way that they showed there was a lot of magic know-how lost over the years. And I especially liked the reveal of who it was they went back in time to save. Another really good episode!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 07:06:41 PM »
Disc 2:

5. Sight Unseen
An invisible demon is sent by the Triad to destroy the sisters, as Prue obsesses over a human stalker who seeks to kill her.

My Thoughts:
This episode is a fairly standard episode. This episode focuses both on the Cole plot as well as a weekly story that surprising has nothing to do with demons. Made for a nice change of pace... and evenly leveled.

6. Primrose Empath
Piper and Phoebe race against time to save a cursed Prue, who has been tricked by Cole (Julian MrcMahon) into helping a demon.

My Thoughts:
A decent... but standard episode. Shannen Doherty does a fine job in the scenes where she is being tortured by Empathy.

7. Power Outage
Cole/Belthazor invokes an Anger Demon to pit the sisters against each other, rendering them powerless and vulnerable to attack.

My Thoughts:
Yet again we get another good, but standard episode. I think it is all the Cole story lines that puts me off some. I have never been a fan of that character. Not for any real reason... as I do see him as adding a lot to the series... but something about him I just personally do not like. This episode does however show just how deeply their sisterhood bond means to them. They loose that and they loose much more then just a family member.

8. Sleuthing With The Enemy
Prue and Piper team up with a bounty-hunter demon to destroy Belthazor, but Phoebe has other plans for the man she loves.

My Thoughts:
Once again we get another good but standard episode... just an episode devoted to the Cole storyline.  I will admit... being such a huge Cole episode... my mind wandered a bit while watching this one.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2008, 01:26:52 AM »
Disc 3:

9. Coyote Piper
When a life essence takes possession of Piper, her soul is at risk of dying if Prue and Phoebe don't kill her body.

My Thoughts:
Ahhhhhh... this is more like it. Finally an episode I can sink my teeth into. I loved every second of this episode! For one thing it is a piper episode!  :drooling: But also it deals with possession... one of my favorite subjects when it comes to horror movies. So that makes it a lot of fun to watch. Besides... what straight male couldn't love Holly Marie Combs' dance on that bar!...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ4viLcwtuI
That scene alone shows me music actually is good for something!  :laugh: And then there was the added plus that Cole was not in this episode. Sure there was a lot of talk about him... but he didn't actually appear in the episode.

10. We All Scream For Ice Cream
Phoebe and Prue battle to save innocent children from the force of The Nothing, but must enlist the help of their father to do so.

My Thoughts:
More of a lighthearted episode. Seemed to be an episode that was played seriously... but at the same time for fun.  This episode is also the first time in this season that we see the sister's father. The episode itself was definitely enjoyable. Plus another Cole-less episode as well.

11. Blinded By The Whitelighter
The Charmed Ones battle their most powerful opponent, an ancient warlock who threatens the existence of all Whitelighters and witches.

My Thoughts:
A very good, strong episode. This time around Phoebe comes clean about not vanquishing Cole... but only to Leo. At this point she still hasn't told her sisters. Cole still hasn't shown back up yet... which is cool by me. And in this episode Piper and Leo is officially engaged.

12. Wrestling With Demons
When Phoebe confesses that she let Cole escape, a betrayed Prue and Piper must put their feelings aside to stop Prue's old boyfriend from becoming a demon.

My Thoughts:
And this is the episode that Phoebe finally lets her sisters know that Cole is still alive. I actually have mixed feelings about this one. No real reason... it is a fun episode... but for some reason whenever I watch it I get the feeling that somehow it could have been better. I did kinda get a kick out of seeing the pro wrestlers on this one... I used to watch pro wrestling as a teen... but it has been many years since I been into it. Just kinda grew out of it.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »
Disc 4:

13. Bride And Gloom
Phoebe turns to Cole for help when a demon tricks Prue into marriage so he can turn the sisters evil and take possession of the Book of Shadows.

My Thoughts:
This is another fun episode. It was really entertaining to get a glimpse of what the sisters would be like if they were evil. This is also the episode that Cole returns... oddly though... as much as I dislike him... I didn't mind him all that much in this particular episode. Maybe because his time was limited a little less then most episodes he is in.

14. The Good, The Bad And The Cursed
Phoebe's visit to a ghost town becomes a nightmare, and when Leo can't help her, Prue and Cole must unravel the mystery to save her.

My Thoughts:
Here we have an interesting episode. Get a little taste of the Old West. Much more Cole in this episode... so that part didn't appeal to me much. But nonetheless I enjoyed it.

15. Just Harried
Piper begs for a demon-free wedding day, but her marriage to Leo is put on hold when Prue is accused of murder.

My Thoughts:
A good episode filled with emotion. Piper and Leo finally make it to their wedding. Of course you know they couldn't make it as easy as that on the show. They also have to deal with that in her sleep Prue is split in two... her sleeping self and her astral self.. trying to get away from all the responsibility that she has. As she finds out that she finally has to take some time for herself instead of only being there for others.

16. Death Takes A Halliwell
Prue faces the Angel of Death while two Seeker Demons destroy everything in their way in order to find and kill Cole.

My Thoughts:
Another powerful episode. Not to mention a glimpse into what will be happening in the show soon. In this episode, like the previous episode, it is Prue that once again learns a hard lesson. Episodes like this makes me wonder if the show was hinting at Prue's end on the show... or if at this point they didn't know they were about to loose Shannen Doherty... and they were doing some major character development.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 12:12:04 AM »
Disc 5:

17. Pre-Witched
The Charmed Ones battle a warlock that gets stronger every time it is vanquished, as Piper wrestles with her decision to move out of the manor.

My Thoughts:
This is a really powerful and emotional episode. As Piper and Leo prepares to move out of the Manor they deal with the memories of life with Grams as well as her death and what it meant to the sisters. Aside from such emotion running wild we get a warlock, an ex witch familiar, that needs to be killed off by The Charmed Ones 9 times so that he can stay in warlock form... as well as be immortal.

18. Sin Francisco
When the sisters fight a demon cursing people with the Seven Deadly Sins, they must first save themselves from succumbing to the powers of their own sins.

My Thoughts:
After a good handful of serious episodes... here we have one that plays for fun. The sisters... as well as Leo... get infected with one of the 7 Deadly Sins each.

19. The Demon Who Came In From The Cold
The sisters and Leo count on Cole to help them when he goes undercover in The Brotherhood, an elite gang of demons, but can he be trusted?

My Thoughts:
This is a decent, but standard episode. A huge Cole episode... so that was something I had to deal with. This episode is there to make you wonder if Cole can stay good even though surrounded by evil.

20. Exit Strategy
When Cole is framed for the killing of a witch the sisters tried to protect, he finds it harder to contain his dark side while Piper can no longer control her powers.

MY Thoughts:
This is a continuation of the last episode. Is also a decent episode... but this time I definitely can not call this one standard. Something happens in this episode that changes things for the rest of the series. In this episode Piper's powers grow. Now instead of just having the ability to freeze... she discovers she now also has the power to blow things up.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 02:14:16 AM »
Disc 6:

21. Look Who's Barking
Prue is transformed into a dog to help track down a Banshee demon, but when the demon attacks Phoebe, Cole must save her.

My Thoughts:
This is a really fun episode. I always liked the episodes where the sisters get turned into something else. And in this episode 2 of the sisters get turned into something... besides Prue getting turned into a dog... we also have Phoebe getting turned into a Banshee.

22. All Hell Breaks Loose
When Piper and Prue are exposed as witches, Phoebe sacrifices herself to the dark side to save them, but the deal threatens to destroy them all.

My Thoughts:
This is really a powerful season finale. They really get a huge show in this one episode. It has such a huge ending that it leaves you desperate to see more. I remembered the first time I watched this episode... I was so worried about what was going to happen to this series after such a huge episode. But I will go more into that when I start the season 4 set.

Over-All Season 3 Thoughts:
I definitely have mixed feelings on this season. There was some really good episodes here. But it also is the season that introduces Cole. And even though I can not say why I dislike that character so much... even though I do know he was very important to the series... I just can't get into that character for anything in the world. Over-all I definitely enjoyed this season... but I wouldn't say it is my favorite season. Unfortunately there is no real extras in this set. All you get is some trailers for other TV Series on disc 1 that they want you to buy.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 11:45:43 PM »
Couldn't help myself... had to continue!

Charmed: Season 4
The Charmed ones, modern-day urban witches Phoebe (Alyssa Milano), Piper (Holly Marie Combs) and Paige (Rose McGowan), move into Season Four with deeper, darker and more deftly crafted stories. As Piper and Phoebe struggle with the loss of their older sister, they discover the existence of half-sister Paige Matthews. Possessing the power to orb as a half-Whitelighter, Paige joins the Halliwell sisters to recreate the magical triad that protects the innocent and vanquishes evil. But all may be lost as Cole's (Julian McMahon) demonic side takes over, and Leo (Brian Krause) must face his past if he is to help the sisters in a battle that could destroy them all.

With intriguing characters, amazing special effects and the perfect brew of suspense, drama, and humor, each exciting episode in this fascinating supernatural series casts a gripping spell.

Disc 1:

1. Charmed Again
Phoebe and Piper grieve Prue's death and struggle with the demise of the Power of Three until they discover the existence of half-sister Paige, a Whitelighter.

My Thoughts:
With Shannen Doherty gone I originally thought that was the end of Charmed. But wow was I surprised to see them really pull it off. I was concerned when I first saw Paige... but at the same time I instantly liked her. It is almost a restart of the series... seeing one of "The Charmed Ones" first learning to use her powers.

2. Hell Hath No Fury
Paige steals the Book of Shadows for personal gain, while Piper's inability to deal with Prue's death makes her vulnerable to demon vigilantes.

My Thoughts:
This was a good episode... I really enjoyed it! Paige makes her first of many mistakes learning to be a witch... and Piper gets turned into a Fury. As I have said in previous post... I like when they get turned into something else. Always makes for a fun episode.

3. Enter The Demon
Paige creates havoc when she mixes potions that switches her body with Phoebe's and must battle evil that has opened a portal between two worlds.

My Thoughts:
Interesting and good episode... but a standard one. Paige makes another mistake. but fortunately the mistake that she makes helps them save the day. How convenient!  :P
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:11 PM »
Looks like you can't resist the call of the Charmed Ones.  :tease:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 12:01:23 AM by RossRoy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2008, 12:17:13 AM »
Never could! I mean come on!....

:drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:
Pete

RossRoy

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2008, 12:23:06 AM »
Stop it! I can't watch them now! I've sold them! I have to wait until October!  :tease:

Although this picture:

while I don't hate it, I don't think they are at their best ....

Otherwise:  :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 12:29:12 AM »
nah... that is not the best of pics. But was a quick  search! :P

But don't you think it is only good costumer service to watch them and make sure all is in good working order before you send them out? LOL :P

Kathy...
Don't kill me!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 12:37:01 AM »
I'm not in a hurry if you want to watch the series again. I'm afraid my unwatched pile is quite large...I'm not sure how large and NO I don't want to know how to figure it out! :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 12:41:00 AM »
I'm not sure how large and NO I don't want to know how to figure it out! :laugh:

Believe me, you don't want to figure that number out. Last time I figured my amount of unwatched stuff, I almost had a heart attack! But I don't know why I was so surprised, I mean, the pile just keeps growing and invading my space after all.  :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 12:41:26 AM »
 :laugh: I agree... better not to know!  :P
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 12:23:41 PM »
my contribution to this thread:

:drooling:
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools