Author Topic: Jimmy's - 2011 Ooctober Horror Marathon  (Read 36439 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Jimmy's - 2011 Ooctober Horror Marathon
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:26:40 AM »

Pete start his one already so why not me :whistle:

For the fourth years it's the time for my annual horror marathon ;D

Last year I watched 67 movies, so the target for 2011 is to beat this number and review them all (at least a short one).

I'm almost sure of what film I will start with, but I don't want to look to eager to start so I don't list it now...

BTW : 10 pts to the first one who will find from what movie is this scene... It's an easy one :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:28:18 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Jimmy's - 2011 Ooctober Horror Marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 08:09:53 AM »
So no one was able to find the movie the image came from :tease:
Like I said it was easy... It's Zombi 3 or Zombi 3 - Ein neuer Anfang or Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 or Zombie: Hell on Earth

Less than 24 hours to go ;D

Now I've to decide how I will start it :hmmmm:

I'm not sure between starting with Nightmare a movie I want to watch for years and wait since I got it in july...

or

the complete acting career of Rosie Holotik with Encounter with the Unknown, Don't Look in the Basement and Horror High.

Guess it will depend if I feel like watching an eighties Video Nasties or a trio of seventies regional horror (Texas).

BTW this is a relatively recent picture of Miss Holotik, can you believe she was 62 years old on this picture. Another proof that you don't need plastic surgery to age wonderfully ;D

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 08:37:04 AM by Jimmy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:43:54 AM »
So no one was able to find the movie the image came from :tease:
Like I said it was easy... It's Zombi 3 or Zombi 3 - Ein neuer Anfang or Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 or Zombie: Hell on Earth
:laugh:

I think I only saw Zombi 2, once, and do not remember any of it. Wasn't it that there wasn't an actual Zombi 1, they just thought people will think that it's a sequel to Dawn of the Dead, which was called Zombi in Europe? (:hmmmm:, so there was a Zombi 1, it just has no relation to the other films :slaphead:)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 03:54:25 PM »
Sure there was a Zombi 1 at least for you in Europe. Dawn of the Dead was named Zombi in Europe. Zombi 2 is a sequel in name only as it as nothing to do with Dawn of the Dead. Also Zombi 3, 4, 5 and 6 aren't related at all... just some weirdness of the italian industry.

Zombi 2 is Zombie Flesh Eaters (here it's L'enfer des zombies)
Zombi 3 is Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 (here it's Zombi 3, funny since there was nothing called Zombi or Zombi 2 for us)
Zombi 4 is After death
Zombi 5 is Killing birds and it was made before Zombi 4 and have no Zombies in it
Zombi 6 is Absurd who was made in 1981 and is a prequel of Antropophagus
Zombi 7 is Zombie '90: Extreme Pestilence a German movie that I've never seen

Even The Living at Manchester Morgue, Nightmare City, Zombi Holocaust, ... were called Zombi 3 at one point :laugh:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 07:50:04 PM »
 :laugh:

The joy of Italian movie naming...

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 08:25:12 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Nightmare (1981)

Genre: Horror
Director: Romano Scavolini
Rating: Not Rated
Length: 1h38
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English
Subtitles: None

Stars:
Baird Stafford
Sharon Smith
C.J. Cooke
Mik Cribben
Danny Ronan

Plot:
Mentally unbalanced patient, George Tatum (Baird Stafford), is released from a New York mental hospital, slums it up on sleazy 42nd street, and then travels to Florida to terrorize an unsuspecting family. Voted by many websites as the ultimate horror film, this lurid cult classic is now available for the first time on DVD for all horror fans to enjoy.

My Thoughts:
This movie had quite an history as it was on the notorious british video nasties list, even the British distributor of it was put in jail because of this one... the british rating board goes quite over the top in the eighties with this "ban this filth" bandwagon. So my expectations were quite high as it's the first time this film is release uncut and I was not deceived. The film is quite bloody and violent, even more than I expected. Some of the special effects are quite convincing. BTW talking of special effects : Tom Savini was a special consultant, so not really envolved in them. The effects are done by two beginners : Cleve Hall and Ed French (who had work on quite a lot of films since them and was nominated two times at the Oscar). The acting is alright for the most part with Stafford giving quite a performance in the title role.

A film I've no problem to recommand, but with a little warning : there is a female masturbation scene and I know it isn't everybody cup of tea (but you don't see that much if you choose to watch the fullscreen print, wich is the one approved by the director) 

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Herschell Gordon Lewis The Godfather of Gore (2011)

Genre: Documentary
Director: Jimmy Maslon / Frank Henenlotter
Length: 1h47

Plot:
Take an outrageous ride through the wild world of exploitation films with this often-hilarious documentary, Herschell Gordon Lewis, The Godfather of Gore.

Featuring interviews with cast, crew, and critics such as director John Waters, drive-in movie critic Joe Bob Briggs, and Herschell Gordon Lewis himself, The Godfather of Gore traces Lewis’ start in the innocent bare-naked world of “Nudie Cuties” before he shocked the world with Blood Feast, the first-ever gore film. Lewis then continued to assault audiences with such audacious shockers as She-Devils on Wheels, Blast-Off Girls, Just for the Hell of It, Two Thousand Maniacs!, The Gruesome Twosome, The Gore Gore Girls, and the incredible Wizard of Gore.

Experience a decade of motion-picture madness – with tons of clips, rare outtakes, and testimony from the people who were there – as Herschell Gordon Lewis, The Godfather of Gore leaves you laughing and screaming at some of the most amazing movies to ever play American movie theaters!

My Thoughts:
One of this most, if not the most important, character in the horror movies history. Why? Easy without him the gore movies wouldn't exist as he (and David Friedman) were the first to make one of this film. Isn't what us horror movies fans like to have everything but the sink thrown at our face? So this documentary is a complete overview of the Herschell Gordon Lewis career in the industry. Starting with his start in the nudie cuties with The Prime Time (the first film of Karen Black) a genre he was one of the precursor with Russ Meyer. Of course the large part of the documentary is devoted to his gore movies (who were quite effective for the period). Of course all the various type of film he did later are also cover (but not that deeply, for that you must watch the deleted scenes and there is more than one hour of them!!!!).

Frankly a great documentary but this isn't surprising as it was produce by Something Weird Video. Many people who worked with Lewis are interviewed in the film. BTW it's great to see how Mal Arnold, Jerome Eden, Bunny Yeager, Ray Sager (he is now a big TV producer on the english side of our country) and many others look like now. The only missing one I would have like to hear is Connie Mason, I suppose she wasn't available as she is always alive.

A recommandation if you are interested to know about the beginning of the horror genre as it is now.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 01:51:12 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Vacancy (2007)

Director: Nimród Antal
Rating: R
Length: 1h25
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English / French
Subtitles: English / French

Stars:
Kate Beckinsale
Luke Wilson
Frank Whaley
Ethan Embry
Scott G. Anderson

Plot:
When David (Luke Wilson) and Amy Fox's (Kate Beckinsale) car breaks down in the middle of nowhere, they are forced to spend the night at the only motel around, with only the TV to entertain them - until they discover that the low-budget slasher videos they find in their room were all filmed in the very room in which they're sitting. With hidden cameras now aimed at them - trapping them in rooms, crawlspaces, underground tunnels - and filming their every move, David and Amy must struggle to get out alive before they end up the next victims on tape.

My Thoughts:
Let me start by saying this one had a lot of potential, just check how the trailer make it looks great. Sadly it doesn't go further than this...

Boring by the book script that feels like it was done by a computer using keywords to create a 100 pages script. Acting not convincing at all by two not so great actors to begin with. A complete lack of scary mood (yes, it's the kind of film full of sound to tell you when you are supposed to be scare). A dead kid add to the mix for no reason, maybe to make the viewer care for the protagonist (if it is indeed the case it doesn't work, developing the character is usually the way to do it). Even worse, we don't see any killing on the video as they all happen off-screen. Wich bring the rating non-sense, there is no reason for this movie to be rated "R" in fact here it's a 14+.

Also did you know that when the electricity is cut a VCR resumes the reading of a tape where it did stop when the electricity return...  ::)

OK I know I usually have a negative bias against the new film but seriously this one is not recommanded at all...

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 08:12:28 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Witchmaker (1969)

Director: William O. Brown
Length: 1h39
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1

Stars:
Anthony Eisley
Thordis Brandt
Alvy Moore
Shelby Grant
Tony Benson

Plot:
Dr. Ralph Hayes (Alvy Moore) is a professor of paranormal studies who leads a group into the Louisiana swamp to investigate a string of murders. His student Tasha (Thordis Brandt) is the psychic whose powers have been inherited from her witch ancestors. Hayes believes that witchcraft is the reason behind the murders of the young women, and reporter Victor Gordon (Anthony Eisley) is out to cover the story. The trail eventually leads to Luther the Berserk (John Lodge) a sorcerer of incredible powers who, after drinking the blood of his victims, has the ability to raise the dead as his unholy army of the night. The efforts of the human researchers collide with the supernatural forces of evil in this terrifying feature.

My Thoughts:
Back to better film ;D
This one is one I already know well before buying the Code Red release in april, so I known already what to expect before starting it. What I didn't expect is how it will look great!!! This is probably one of the best use of the shadow I've ever seen in a movie, great lightning works by John Arthur Morrill the DP of this film. This film is the genre of film that make you think and don't throw everything in your face (sometimes it's a good thing sometimes not, depend of what you watch). Of course some could say that it moves slowly but not me, I like how the story is developped. John Lodge who play the berseker (some kind of Devil servant) do a really good job and he sure looks creepy. The cast isn't filled with big names, but everybody act well. Also it was interesting, at least for me it was, to see Patricia Wymer (The Babysitter), Sue Bernard (Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!), Nancy Crawford (The Thrill Killers) and Diane Webber (the most popular pin-up girl of the fifties and the sixties) showing in small role. Also be prepare for a nice ending...

This film was produce by L.Q. Jones (you can see him in many Sam Peckinpah's movies) who will produce and direct six years later one of the greatest cult movie ever made. This film being of course A Boy and His Dog ;D
L.Q. Jones is present on this release for an interview and a great commentary track with John Arthur Morrill.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 09:37:34 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: SSSSSSS (1973)

Director: Bernard L. Kowalski
Rating: PG
Length: 1h39
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Strother Martin
Dirk Benedict
Heather Menzies
Richard B. Shull
Tim O'Connor

Plot:
David, a college student, is looking for a job. He is hired by Dr. Stoner as a lab assistant for his research and experiments on snakes. David also begins to fall for Stoner's young daughter, Kristina. However, the good doctor has secretly brewed up a serum that can transform any man into a King Cobra snake-and he plans to use it on David.

My Thoughts:
Not too bad but not really my style. This is more an horror film for the kids than anything else. Nothing really happen on the screen and the acting is a little bit flat (no overacting, but more like if the actors didn't really care). The transformation make-up effects is fine, but the last part of it look dated (even for the seventies). I'm sure that if you are frighten by snakes you will feel uncomfortable as there is a ton of snakes on the screen.

Rating :

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »
I bought that one a while back but haven't watched it yet. I will have to see if I can get to it sometime this month. See if I will enjoy it any more then you did.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 11:57:48 PM »
I'm sure you would. I'm just not a big fan of PG movies where nothing bad happen on the screen.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 12:05:04 AM »
Just the cover is enough to scare me off that one. 
Witchcraft sounds kind of interesting though.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 12:13:40 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Burial Ground Nights of Terror (1980)

Director: Andrea Bianchi
Length: 1h24

Stars:
Karin Well
Gianluigi Chirizzi
Simone Mattioli
Antonella Antinori
Roberto Caporali

Plot:
The nights of terror are unleashed when a professor's thirst for knowledge seals his own demise as he unwittingly unseals a cursed underground crypt in an ancient burial ground. The desecrated graveyard erupts with a groundswell of ravenous, rotting, flesh-hungry zombies that stalk the nights in search of living human prey! On the adjoining grounds, a group of clueless, decadent socialites are enjoying a wil weekend retreat of debauchery. Among the eccentric guests are a nympho mother and her freakish, incestuous son! Unfortunately for the guests, their isolated country villa lies directly in the path of the flesh-eating horde that has party plans of it's own!

My Thoughts:
It's an eighties italian movie so you know to expect before watching it. Bad english dubing, silly story that doesn't make sense and good make-up effects. This one deliver all of this with some of the most "what??" pieces of dialogues. A couple of exemple :

In the beginning the professor (he look like Rasputin BTW) who own the castle is attacked by a living dead and he say "stay back! I'm your friend!". What??? This guy looks like he is dead since at least 200 years...

At one point the kid (who is played by a strange looking 25 years old little person) start to caress sexually his mother (he even go for the panties :o). So his mother tell him to stop and his replied is "What's wrong!, I'm your son!"...

If you like the genre I'm sure you will like this one.

Rating :

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 03:22:49 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Vampire Sucks (2010)

Genre: Comedy
Director: Jason Friedberg / Aaron Seltzer
Rating: G
Length: 1h24
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English / French
Subtitles: English / French / Spanish

Stars:
Jenn Proske
Matt Lanter
Diedrich Bader
Chris Riggi
Ken Jeong

Plot:
Sink your teeth into the hysterically funny spoof VAMPIRES SUCK Extended BITE ME Edition with more outrageous humor and bloody fun! Becca, an angst-ridden teenager at a new high school, finds herself torn between two supernatural suitors; a moody vampire and an extremely hairy werewolf. From two of the comedy masterminds that wrote Scary Movie and costarring Ken Jeong (The Hangover), this laugh-out-loud comedy will leave you howling for more!

My Thoughts:
Better than what I was expecting judging by all the other movies I've bought from the same guys. It doesn't mean it's good or really funny, just that this one is better than Disaster Movie or Date Movie. At least this time they follow one film story line (even if I haven't seen it I've read a 10 pages recap of it, so it's more or less the same thing for me). Of course they continue to put some random trendy things I've no clue what they are, but less than usually. Jenn Proske does quite a good acting job in this and I think she will go to better and bigger thing (but I tought the same with Vanessa Minnillo after Disaster Movie and since than she only did TV show guest appearances and host True Beauty).

Not great, not strongly recommanded. But if you got a chance to watch it on TV take it as it will cost nothing to try.  

Rating :
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:41:24 AM by Jimmy »