Author Topic: 2011 October Horror Marathon (Discussion thread)  (Read 5749 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
2011 October Horror Marathon (Discussion thread)
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »

I know it's a little bit early, but I feel it's the time to open the topic for this year...

I hope that we will be many to do it again this year ;D

It isn't important if you watch 1 or 100 movies (or TV show episodes or documentaries). what is important is that you have a lot of fun during this month and don't forget you are the one who decide what is horror for you.

This thread is for the discussion and for the reviews of those who don't want to create their own thread.
For the scorecard you can find it here.

RossRoy

Re: 2011 October Horror Marathon (Discussion thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 01:41:32 PM »
So, for those of you who are thinking of participating, anything in particular you are planning to watch?

I'd like to get the Child's Play series in there somewhere.. I really did like Ginger Snaps too last time I watched them, so I'll try to slip these in too. Maybe a few Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th for good measure.

Quite a few horror title I have but never seen too, so perfect time to slip a few of those in.

But then, given my track record lately with movies .. I don't think I'll get all that many in. But who knows?

Anyways, what are you all thinking of watching?

I need to catch up with the reviews before this starts .. or it could get messy!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:16:38 PM »
If it arrives in time (which it should) I plan to start with Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant. I been wanting to check it out since the first time I saw the trailer... but never had the opportunity. Other then that I have many I have never watched that I want to check out.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:40:52 PM »
So, for those of you who are thinking of participating, anything in particular you are planning to watch?
That will depend of what I'm in the mood to watch... I've a lot of unwatched titles already near my computer (I expect others to arrive this week and in october) and many that I haven't watch in years.

Just one thing is sure : I won't go near the movies in the awfull set I got two years ago  :laugh:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 05:57:24 AM »
I don't know yet...I'll probably try a few from the movie set year.  I have some Dracula movies I haven't watched yet.. Maybe some of the other movies from the Universal Sets I have..Frankenstin movies...Wolfman...Creature From the Black Lagoon.  I've got the newest Lost Boys..haven't watched that one yet.
I'll watch some again that I usually watch every year....Halloween movies...Sleep Hallow...Sweeny Todd. 

I don't know what I'll start with yet.  I'll just see what I'm in the mood for.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:14:53 AM »
I am not sure how many I will get to watch, I promise though that I will not review all of those I watch :hysterical: Weekdays I prefer TV series rather than movies, not sure how that will go. I just received Primeval Series 5, I guess I could count that as borderline horror...?

I have a bunch of Blu-ray upgrades where I have seen the movie before, so this might be a good time to get to watch them. Like Nightmare on Elm Street, The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I also may go through Romero's Dead series.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 01:37:52 PM »
I slightly edited my current review format for the horror marathon. What do you think... anything I should change or add?

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant (2009/United States)

Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Director:Paul Weitz
Writing:Darren Shan (Original Material By), Paul Weitz (Screenwriter), Brian Helgeland (Screenwriter)
Length:109 min.
Rating:PG-13
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Stars:
John C. Reilly as Crepsley
Josh Hutcherson as Steve
Chris Massoglia as Darren
Jessica Carlson as Rebecca
Michael Cerveris as Mr. Tiny
Ray Stevenson as Murlaugh

Plot:
Welcome to the Cirque du Freak, a traveling sideshow filled with magical creatures, misunderstood freaks, and the mysterious vampire, Larten Crepsley (John C. Reilly). Drawn to the dark, unpredictable world of the Cirque, 16-year-old Darren (Chris Massoglia) decides to trade in his ordinary life for a chance to become an immortal vampire. As Darren explores his newfound powers and faces unexpected enemies, he'll find that his existence as a memeber of the undead is filled with more challenges, suspense and fun than he ever thought possible. Based on the best-selling book series and co-starring Salma Hayek, Josh Hutcherson, Ken Watanabe, and Willem Dafoe, it's a fast-paced, suspenseful journey critics call, "Imaginative!" (Peter Hall, Cinematical.com)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes

My Thoughts:

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 0
TV Ep. Count: 0
Other Count: 0

I dropped the Time Started under the count. I figured who cares what time I started each movie/show. Or was that a fun fact that you all would like me to keep?
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »
It looks good to me Pete. Is that DVD the winner in the "What will Pete watch first?" contest?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Yes, everything is right there. :thumbup:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 04:51:10 PM »
It looks good to me Pete. Is that DVD the winner in the "What will Pete watch first?" contest?

Well... there is still a good day and a half... so it could change if my mood does. But... yes... I think it will most likely be it.
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
Looks good.

I'll probably try to watch something after midnight tonight.  Just have to decide what I'm in the mood for.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 11:40:53 PM »
I am not sure if I will be up for one right at midnight this year. Though it will be the first time in years that I miss my Midnight movie.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 02:58:36 AM »
I wonder if Pete is sleeping to be sure to watch 2 or 3 films when midnight will come :shrug:
He log the last time more than one hour ago and he usually do it :whistle:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 04:40:14 AM »
I was wondering if he was going to do that again too.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 07:24:07 AM »
I actually tried... but didn't wake in time to start at midnight. Woke a little after 1am. Getting ready to pop in the first one here shortly. Probably start first one at about 1:30am. Usually have the first one watched by that time. :P
Pete