Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292398 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: My Random Viewings
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2008, 04:28:05 PM »
Very possible. But there's a whole scene with the Alien "boss" talking about how humanity is too childish to handle such weapons. How could it be entirely accidental?  ;)
Well, actually, the more I think about it, the idea of poor Ed having these great ideas and lacks the ability to put them on celluloid properly is intriguing...

There, now you've done it. I almost get the urge to rewatch the film again. :yellowcard:

RossRoy

« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »
There, now you've done it. I almost get the urge to rewatch the film again. :yellowcard:

:tomato:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »
:tomato:
Nah, don't worry, I wasn't gonna throw tomatoes... And luckily I already watched something for "9" in this month's marathon, so I can easily overcome the urge. :laugh:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2008, 06:09:52 PM »
Nah, don't worry, I wasn't gonna throw tomatoes... And luckily I already watched something for "9" in this month's marathon, so I can easily overcome the urge. :laugh:
But you could always watch it if you need a "19" title (total of letter)  :devil:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2008, 06:13:28 PM »
But you could always watch it if you need a "19" title (total of letter)  :devil:
:hmmmm: (If I am in a masochistic mood, I just may do that... And get the disc's money's worth :))

RossRoy

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2008, 01:30:54 AM »
Maurice Richard

Original Title: Maurice Richard
Year: 2005
Director: Charles Binamé
Rating: PG
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: French: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English, French

What they say
Maurice Richard had a dream to play in the National Hockey League. Through hardships and hard work, he became a hero. This film is the exraordinary true story of the man they called The Rocket, who led a team to greatness, inspired a generation, gave passion to his country and brought a national sport to the world.

My Thoughts
Wonderful movie. I just hope nobody expects a fair review of this movie from me. There's just no way I can be objective with this film. First, it's a movie from my home land, Quebec, but even more importantly, it is about Maurice Richard. Maurice Richard is a symbol here in Quebec. A symbol of hope, of the possibility for a "frenchman" to actually be successful in an english environment. He became the catalyst for a change in how the english would treat french people in Quebec. He paved the way for many other french people to take their place, and realize that they too can achieve something and rise to the upper echelon of society. Maurice Richard personifies all that. And to top it all, he is one of the best, if not THE best player in the history of hockey.

So in that context, how can I be objective reviewing this film?

Well, even considering all it represents, I think the movie is very well. Roy Dupuis gives a marvelous performance as the titular character. Actually, all the actors are great in their respective roles. Charles Binamé did a great job showing us the Quebec of the time, and showing the politics of the era, while telling the story of hockey's greatest player, and his fight against the establishment to get the "frenchmen" to be respected.

This is a great movie, and I recommend it without hesitation.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2008, 11:56:31 PM »
Sebastien,

Thank you for the recommendation! I love sports and true stories and am always looking out for something new. I will be getting this one as soon as possible.

RossRoy

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2008, 06:44:36 AM »
House of Wax

Original Title: House of Wax
Year: 2005
Director: Jaume Collet-Serra
Rating: R
Length: 113 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

What they say
Thrills and chills ooze all over you in 'House of Wax', from Dark Castle Entertainment and legendary horror producers Joel Silver and Robert Zemeckis ('Gothika', 'House on Haunted Hill').

When their car breaks down on a road trip, six college friends are sidetracked into an eerie backwoods town. Curiosity gets the better of them when they are intrigured by its macabre House of Wax. They soon find out that the town is not what it seems and they must find their way out before they fall victim to its ghoulishly inventive killers.

My Thoughts
I must say, I have a love/hate relationship with horror movies. On the one hand, I love them. I love how the music works together with the cinematography to create tension and a spooky atmosphere. But then, I'm also squeamish. Not so much about the gore itself, but too much is too much, but also because I'm jumpy. I get so tense expecting to be scared, that when something actually happens, my heart skips a few beats. There's also the whole side of movies lingering with me a few days after watching. Not so much on stuff like Nightmare on Elm Street, Saw, Hostel or House of Wax, but more stuff like The Ring (Ringu), The Grudge, etc. For example, I lost a lot of sleep over The Ring. I'm like that.

So, of course, going into House of Wax, I didn't know what to really expect, except I was happy to know that Paris' character would meet her demise. As is usually the case when I watch a horror movie, I again got very tense expecting the scares at every corner. But surprisingly, I'm either become desensitized, or there weren't any real jump-scare scene, but the gore made up for it. Not that there's all that much of it, but what's there is effective. It is gratuitous gore though, but I found it was good gore. I also liked the whole wax angle to it. Without giving too much away, let's just say I hope real life wax museums aren't built and populated that way ;)

The story? What story? The whole thing is set up as an excuse for melting wax and killing people. There's one thing though, that I can't stand, and sorry, I'll spoilerize it, though I don't think it's all that big of a spoiler.
(click to show/hide)

As a whole though? The movie was entertaining. It kept my interest throughout, though it takes too long to take off. The introduction of the main characters gives so little, that we don't really attach to anyone. They shoud've cut most of it, and made a 90-minute movie, instead of a 120-minute one. It would've been tighter, more focused. I still enjoyed it, even though reading all that might lead some to believe otherwise! ;)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2008, 11:24:23 AM »
The story? What story? The whole thing is set up as an excuse for melting wax and killing people. There's one thing though, that I can't stand, and sorry, I'll spoilerize it, though I don't think it's all that big of a spoiler.
(click to show/hide)
I agree.

(click to show/hide)

RossRoy

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2008, 06:47:28 PM »
The Number 23

Original Title: The Number 23
Year: 2007
Director: Joel Schumacher
Rating: 14
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

What they say
Jim Carrey and Virginia Madsen star in the year's most "mind-bending" (Pete Hammond, 'Maxim') psychological thriller directed by Joel Schumacher.

The nightmare begins when Walter (Carrey), a mild-mannered dogcatcher, begins reading a tattered, used book called 'The Number 23'. Obsessed by the countless similarities between the degenerate main character and himself, Walter plunges headlong into the same dark, seductive world. When the book's main character commits an unspeakable act, Walter is terrified that he's destined to follow the same twisted path.

My Thoughts
I quite enjoyed that one. I think it is a nice little thriller. And as with many other thrillers, there's the obligatory twist at the ending, which I sort of saw coming, and yet I was still surprised by it. I also felt the urge to watch it again to try and catch the little clues that are scattered throughout the movie. I think it deserves a watch, it may not win any awards, but it's good. I loved Jim Carey in the leading role. I find I like him much more in his dramatic work than his comedy, i.e. Truman Show, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and now The Number 23. Virginia Madsen is just as beautiful as ever.

RossRoy

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2008, 07:18:12 AM »
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Original Title: My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Year: 2002
Director: Joel Zwick
Rating: G
Length: 95 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Greek, Spanish

What they say
Toula is 30. And unmarried. Which means as a nice Greek girl - she's a failure. All her cousins did the right thing - married Greek boys and made Greek babies. So everyone worries: what will become of Toula?

Then one day she sees the ultimate unattainable guy and realizes the only way her life will get better is if she gets away from her big, fat Greek family. Toula escapes from the family restaurant. She exchanges her seating hostess jacket for a college diploma, convinces her aunt to give her a new job, and trades in her coke-bottle glasses for contact lenses, just in time for "him" to walk back into her life.

Ian Miller is tall, handsome, but definitely not Greek. Their courtship is an Olympian culture clash. Can Ian handle Toula, her parents, her aunts, uncles, cousins and several centuries of Greek heritage? Will Toula discover the love she's been missing right in the heart of her big, fat family?

One thing is for sure, for better or worse, richer or poorer, with Ian's proposal, Toula is headed for her big, fat Greek wedding.

My Thoughts
So, what do we have here? Well, at its core, this movie is a fairly standard, run of the mill, love story: Girl meets boy, they fall in love, they marry. Nothing special here. What's interesting, is the clash of cultures. You've got the typical, overprotective, almost paranoid father. The very open-minded, understanding mother. And a big and loud typical greek family. Now, movie may be called "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", but the way I see it, you could exchange Greek for just about anything. The greek angle, is probably just what Nia Vardalos (Writer and leading lady) knew better, but the way the film is constructed, it is a look at how a different culture would react towards the first girl to marry a, in this case non-greek, boy, and all the lack of trust and oddities that ensues. And they are plenty in this movie, which is actually quite funny in its own right. I actually laughed out loud a few times.

You should give this movie a spin, it might surprise you. Even if you don't usually like love stories.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »
My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Original Title: My Big Fat Greek Wedding
Year: 2002
Director: Joel Zwick
Rating: G
Length: 95 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Greek, Spanish

What they say
Toula is 30. And unmarried. Which means as a nice Greek girl - she's a failure. All her cousins did the right thing - married Greek boys and made Greek babies. So everyone worries: what will become of Toula?

Then one day she sees the ultimate unattainable guy and realizes the only way her life will get better is if she gets away from her big, fat Greek family. Toula escapes from the family restaurant. She exchanges her seating hostess jacket for a college diploma, convinces her aunt to give her a new job, and trades in her coke-bottle glasses for contact lenses, just in time for "him" to walk back into her life.

Ian Miller is tall, handsome, but definitely not Greek. Their courtship is an Olympian culture clash. Can Ian handle Toula, her parents, her aunts, uncles, cousins and several centuries of Greek heritage? Will Toula discover the love she's been missing right in the heart of her big, fat family?

One thing is for sure, for better or worse, richer or poorer, with Ian's proposal, Toula is headed for her big, fat Greek wedding.

My Thoughts
So, what do we have here? Well, at its core, this movie is a fairly standard, run of the mill, love story: Girl meets boy, they fall in love, they marry. Nothing special here. What's interesting, is the clash of cultures. You've got the typical, overprotective, almost paranoid father. The very open-minded, understanding mother. And a big and loud typical greek family. Now, movie may be called "My Big Fat Greek Wedding", but the way I see it, you could exchange Greek for just about anything. The greek angle, is probably just what Nia Vardalos (Writer and leading lady) knew better, but the way the film is constructed, it is a look at how a different culture would react towards the first girl to marry a, in this case non-greek, boy, and all the lack of trust and oddities that ensues. And they are plenty in this movie, which is actually quite funny in its own right. I actually laughed out loud a few times.

You should give this movie a spin, it might surprise you. Even if you don't usually like love stories.

I agree...this movie cracked me up too!  ;D

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »
Sebastien

just to let you know that if you have not watch the season 7 of Charmed yet, it's a great one better than the precedent. I've watched half of it and the storyline is good, no monster of the week and all the episodes are conected. Since you like usually the good looking girls, this is the new Seer  :drooling:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »

Isn't that Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase in Buffy/Angel)?
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »
Isn't that Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia Chase in Buffy/Angel)?
Yes, maybe I will have to check those serie too  :hmmmm:
Not that I was interested in them, but if she have an important role  :whistle: