Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292455 times)

RossRoy

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #495 on: June 13, 2010, 03:53:21 AM »
Dune / Children of Dune

WHAT THEY SAY
DUNE
In the distant future, the planet Dune is the only source of a mysterious spice that gives whomever controls it dominion over commerce and civilization. By way of an ancient prophecy, a young man realizes his destiny as Dune's messiah and leads a rebellion against the corrupt galactic empire and forever changes the balance of power. A spectacular version of this science fiction odyssey!

CHILDREN OF DUNE
Against a backdrop of interplanetary intrigue, rebellion and betrayal, the future of humanity itself rests with the Children of Dune in this sweeping tale of visionary sci-fi adventure! A spectacular sequel to the Emmy Award-winning Frank Herbert's Dune, starring Academy Award® winner* Susan Sarandon.

MY THOUGHTS
This is the second time I watch these two miniseries. It also happens that I'm currently re-reading the books.

I love Dune. I keep coming back to the books and rereading them.

Coming into this the first time, I had my apprehensions. The story of Dune is so complex and convoluted, I didn't how they'd do it on screen. Especially when considering Lynch's Dune, which I like also, but it is somewhat of a mess. I had read the book before seeing Lynch's movie, and I'm sure that's the only reason why I was able to follow along with the story.

Being a miniseries, hence having more time available, they could show and tell more of the story. And it pays. They can show more of the subtle stuff. I really like how they treated the story.

Almost the only thing that bugs me are the visual effects. Not because they are bad, they are quite adequate, problem is there's a lot of CGI, and it was all done on a TV budget. Some effects look great (the worms), but some a completely cringe worthy (the desert mouse). But I think they did a decent job with what they had available.

I also especially like the music in Children of Dune. Actually, most of you probably know the music of Children of Dune without even realising it! The music was used in the trailers for Star Trek 2009, Master and Commander, Kung Fu Panda, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull... to name a few. After the lackluster effort on Dune (don't even remember who did the music - and I won't check), it's really refreshing to get such a strong yet nuanced soundtrack by Brian Tyler for Children.

If you're a fan of Dune, and not too anal about complete faithfullness to the source material and understand the constraint of movies and TV miniseries, this is a great example of a good adaptation.

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #496 on: June 21, 2010, 01:42:05 AM »
Farscape: Season 2
WHAT THEY SAY
Farscape Season Two unfolds as a tapestry of histories and mysteries. Following Season One's harrowing finale, John Crichton and the crew of the living space ship Moya must now evade the villainous Scorpius. But that's even harder than it seems, thanks to the insidious connection Scorpius has forged with Crichton. And if the Peacekeepers weren't enough trouble, Crichton and company soon cross paths with the ambitious, reptilian Scarran race.

The crew's unstable camaraderie is tested when they discover the part a crew member played in the brutal fate of Moya's first Pilot. Things spin even further out of control as the crew struggles to deal with the violent nature of Moya's offspring—not to mention murders, royal weddings, identity crises, terrorists and slave traders.

Building upon the mind-boggling Season One, Farscape Season Two delivers even more ingenious stories, extraordinary new characters, razor-sharp dialogue and dazzling special effects, from the artists at Jim Henson's Creature Shop™.

MY THOUGHTS
Wow! This is something else! I liked the first season, but this literally blew me away!

Sure, there are many one off episodes and antagonist of the week type things, but they still all serve to move the story forward and things that happen in a given episode have repercussions later. Which I like! And the payoff in the final episodes of the season is mind blowing.

And I must say, with that cliffhanger? Phew! Good thing I already have the next season and can keep watching tonight to know what happens! I can't imagine what it was like back when it was still on TV and having to wait a full off season for the conclusion!  :fingerchew: 

(click to show/hide)

I don't think I would've made it ...

Oh and in case there were any doubts - I absolutely love the show!

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #497 on: July 01, 2010, 05:46:19 AM »
The Revenge of Doctor X
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #1
WHAT THEY SAY
A NASA scientist is ordered to take a vacation due to showing signs of stress while working on his latest missile project. Traveling to Japan, the scientist decides to indulge in his botany hobby and begins experimenting on a venus flytrap he brought along on his trip. Using radical techniques and falling into madness, the scientist eventually creates a plant creature that feeds on flesh and blood, wich then sets off to find food in the form of the people of a nearby community.

MY THOUGHTS
I can sum this movie up very easily: Tooooooooooo ... Daaaaaaammmmnnnnn ... Looooooooonnnng ...

Nothing happens! The "Doctor" just keeps on babbling and babbling and babbling. Then a guy in a suit humanoid plant appears and goes on a rampage .... or not. It basically just stands there rocking left to right.

Oooooh scary!  :yawn:

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:28:13 PM by RossRoy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 01, 2010, 08:13:47 AM »
Boo!

(click to show/hide)

I was less rough than you since I give it a 3, but most for its ridiculousness than anything else... Don't forget Ed Wood wrote that.

Is it great when a cover had nothing to do with anything in a film :whistle:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:16:11 AM by Jimmy »

RossRoy

« Reply #499 on: July 01, 2010, 08:30:09 PM »
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
WHAT THEY SAY
Enter a dazzling world of fantasy in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, director Terry Gilliam's magical adventure tale starring Heath Ledger in his last film role along with Christopher Plummer, Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell and Jude Law. In exchange for extraordinary powers, Doctor Parnassus (Plummer) makes a deal with the Devil to turn over any child of his when they turn sixteen. But as his daughter Valentina's (Lili Cole) birthday approaches, a mysterious stranger (Ledger) arrives with the power to change everything. In this captivating, explosive and wonderfully imaginative race against time, Doctor Parnassus must fight to save his daughter in a never-ending landscape of surreal obstacles - and undo the mistakes of his past once and for all!

MY THOUGHTS
Good thing it has the word "Imaginarium" in its title - because it is a very imaginative movie! Sometimes maybe a little too imaginative. Some of the world within Parnassus' Imaginarium are so out there they almost lost me. It's a very wild ride and for a long time, I didn't know what was going on what with the travelling theater troop and the mirror leading to the Imaginarium. But in the end, it works, makes sense, and fits the story.

For those of you who may not know: This is the last movie of late Heath Ledger. So last in fact that he never completed it. Three different actors came to the rescue: Colin Farrel - Jude Law - Johnny Depp. The integration of these three alternate actors actually works with the movie! It actually makes sense! And all three did a pretty good job taking over the role.

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #500 on: July 01, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
Dead Man
WHAT THEY SAY
Johnny Depp (Sleepy Hollow, The Astronaut's Wife) delivers a remarkable performance in this highly acclaimed tale of adventure and intrigue in the wild, wild West!

A young man in search of a fresh start, William Blake (Depp), embarks on an exciting journey to a new town…never realizing the danger that lies ahead. But when a heated love triangle ends in double murder, Blake finds himself a wanted man, running scared - until a mysterious loner (Gary Farmer) teaches him to face the dangers that follow a "dead man." With an outstanding supporting cast including Gabriel Byrne (End Of Days, Stigmata) and Robert Mitchum (Cape Fear), and a sizzling soundtrack by Neil Young, Dead Man is another motion picture triumph from filmmaker Jim Jarmusch.

MY THOUGHTS
Oh boy. Talk about boring. The pace is slow. The speech is slow. They even manage to make the travel slow and painful!

Actually, I never even finished it. We stopped it after 70 minutes because it was just dreadful.

I think Plan 9 From Outer Space is better than this! Yes, I said it. Something is worse the Plan 9

RATING

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:35:37 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #501 on: July 02, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »
Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #2
WHAT THEY SAY
Jesse James and his partner Hank Tracy are on the run from Marshall MacPhee after their latest robbery and stumble across the decrepit residence of Maria Frankenstein. Maria, the granddaughter of the infamous Baron Frankenstein, is continuing the family legacy of experimenting in resurrecting the dead human tissue and has the still-living brain of the original monster.

MY THOUGHTS
Right off the bat I can tell you that the poster outrights lies. There's not nearly enough action to warrant the claims of "roaring guns" and "raging monster".

This is a pretty run of the mill cash-in movie. Take two popular icons, mash them together into a movie, and spew it out. It's nothing to call home about, but I found it correct. It didn't bore me out of my mind, but I'm not eager to watch it again either.

It was a bit unsettling though that the role of pretty-spanish-girl was played by a 40 years old lady. Oh she looks good, no question, but don't they usually have all sexed up young ladies for these types of role? Mind you the film was made in the sixties.. maybe it was different then.

The lady playing Frankenstein's Granddaughter though - yowhza! What a fine looking lady! Despite her variable foreign accent :laugh:

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:28:42 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #502 on: July 03, 2010, 04:03:07 AM »
Up
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #3
WHAT THEY SAY
From the revolutionary minds of Pixar Animation Studios and the acclaimed director of Monsters, Inc. comes a hilariously uplifting adventure where the sky is no longer the limit.

Carl Fredricksen, a retired balloon salesman, is part rascal, part dreamer who is ready for his last chance at high-flying excitement. Tying thousands of balloons to his house, Carl sets off to the lost world of his childhood dreams. Unbeknownst to Carl, Russell, an overeager 8-year-old Wilderness Explorer who has never ventured beyond his backyard, is in the wrong place at the wrong time - Carl's front porch! The world's most unlikely duo reach new heights and meet fantastic friends like Dug, a dog with a special collar that allows him to speak, and Kevin, a rare 13-foot-tall flightless bird. Stuck together in the wilds of the jungle, Carl realizes that sometimes life's biggest adventures aren't the ones you set out looking for.

MY THOUGHTS
Another good one by Pixar!

Great little story. If I am objective, it's a rather standard story but the way it's shown, the imaginativeness of it all makes it a solid movie. There many nice little touches here and there.

Yes, I quite liked it!

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:28:58 PM by RossRoy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 03, 2010, 05:10:40 AM »
Sebastien since you watch the films in the Chilling Classic set at least try to watch Horror Express, Naked Massacre (Carole Laure is in it), Scream Bloody Murder, Silent Night, Bloody Night and Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory who are five good one in this set... Of course, you can watch War of the Robot also if you want to continue with the bad one :laugh:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:37:25 AM by Jimmy »

RossRoy

« Reply #504 on: July 03, 2010, 06:27:03 AM »
Sebastien since you watch the films in the Chilling Classic set at least try to watch Horror Express, Naked Massacre (Carole Laure is in it), Scream Bloody Murder, Silent Night, Bloody Night and Werewolf in a Girl's Dormitory who are five good one in this set... Of course, you can watch War of the Robot also if you want to continue with the bad one :laugh:

We'll see  ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #505 on: July 03, 2010, 06:35:21 AM »
Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #4
WHAT THEY SAY
Brace yourself for the hard-hitting action and high-flying excitement of Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li. including an all new unrated cut! Based on the wildly popular Street Fighter video game series, this powerful martial arts adventure explores the origins of the Street Fighter universe through Chun-Li (Kristen Kreuk), who avenges her father’s death at the hands of Bison (Neil McDonough) and his evil Shadaloo Empire. Now the stage is set, the challenge is clear, the legend will be forged...but who will prevail? Round One. Fight!

MY THOUGHTS
Bought that movie after seeing the trailer and because of Kristin Kreuk.. then I read the reviews. Didn't bode too well. But after watching it for myself, I find it's ok. It's good entertainment. Very simple revenge story, some over the top action, some questionable "magic". It's nothing special, but it's nothing too bad either.

I thought Kristin Kreuk did a fine job with the role. Robin Shou was fine as Gen. But the rest of the cast? There's an expression in hockey where they will call up young player as "jersey filler". That's how they felt.

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:29:13 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #506 on: July 05, 2010, 03:59:52 AM »
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #5
WHAT THEY SAY
Harry Potter learns on his 11th birthday that he is the orphaned son of two powerful wizards and possesses magical powers of his own. At Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, Harry embarks on the adventure of a lifetime, discovering a world of magic and fantasy where he is destined to live.

MY THOUGHTS
What can I say? I love the Harry Potter franchise. It took me a while to give in, but once I did, I discovered a great little world filled with magic and a very interesting story.

In this first installment, of course the characters are introduced. Our main trio, their closest allies and their future enemies are pretty much already all laid out. The stage is set, now let the magic happen.

I like how magical they make everything look. Hogwarts looks absolutely stunning. A shame though that the Quidditch match and some other effects are already showing their age. It didn't stop me from enjoying the movie though! Still, it's not as good as some of the upcoming ones!

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:29:29 PM by RossRoy »

RossRoy

« Reply #507 on: July 05, 2010, 04:11:58 AM »
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #6
WHAT THEY SAY
The next installment in the Harry Potter series finds young wizard Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliffe) and his friends Ron Weasley (Rupert Grint) and Hermione Granger (Emma Watson) facing new challenges during their second year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as they try to uncover a dark force that is terrorizing the school.

MY THOUGHTS
Year 2 at Hogwarts.

Further advancing the story, thing are starting to take a turn for the worse. Voldemort starts getting a bit more fleshed out. Our heroes are getting more powerful and now have more control over their powers. Yet, it still feels like they got lucky. We finally start seeing the lovely Ginny Weasly more.

I love how some seeds are already being planted for events that will happen much further down the line. It helps cement the story as a whole, give it direction to drive it forward.

This year's story is great. The Drago-Harry anomosity is building. Snape is... well.. Snape  :laugh:

Unfortunately, this marks the last appearance of Richard Harris as Albus Dumbledore. I would've loved to see how he'd handle some situations in the later stories. His replacement does a good job, but right form the first movie, Richard Harris brought something special to the role.

A good movie, a good story, and part of a great fantasy world.

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:29:41 PM by RossRoy »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #508 on: July 05, 2010, 04:15:33 AM »
I completely agree with Richard Harris bringing something special to the part of Dumbledore.  He was prefect in the part and fit it much better than Michael Gambon..but that doesn't mean I think Gambon is bad in the part.  His Dumbledore just isn't the same.  I agree I would have liked to see Harris in the later movies. 

RossRoy

« Reply #509 on: July 05, 2010, 04:20:10 AM »
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Alphabet Marathon - July 2010 - Entry #7
WHAT THEY SAY
As Harry Potter readies himself for his third year at Hogwarts, an incident in which he is unable to control his anger forces him on the lam. At the same time, a dangerous man named Sirius Black escapes from the Azkaban prison with one thought on his mind: to track down and kill Harry Potter. The third year at Hogwarts is full of excitement and danger for Harry and his friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger.

MY THOUGHTS
This movie (and the book that inspired it) to me, marks the beginning of when Harry Potter's story stepped from being a good book/movie series, to a great book/movie series.

As Harry Potter ages and matures, so does the storytelling. We start seeing layers upon layers upon layers in the stories. Dumbledore's army is slowly taking shape, The Order of the Phoenix is slowly revealed. Important figures are starting to appear. The backstory of James and Lilly Potter is slowly being revealed. Harry's place in all of this is taking shape. The tension is rising between the different camps. You can see the pawns being placed and nuggets of information being fed to the audience, all moving the story forward, and leading a great things yet to happen.

I like the darker look Alfonso Cuaron gave the movie. This installment also sports my favourite Potter soundtrack by John Williams.

Azkaban, to me, really marks when Harry Potter (as a story) became a great story and great storytelling. And it just keeps getting better from now on.

RATING

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:29:56 PM by RossRoy »