Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 292399 times)

RossRoy

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #435 on: December 13, 2009, 06:10:30 PM »
Have you seen any of the BBC series produced over the years, Sébastien? I've seen the occasional one, as well as a couple of the films. The original book was written at a strange time as Conan Doyle had killed the hero off, but the public demanded more stories. He set Hounds before Holmes' death, which might explain his attempt to put more focus on Watson.

No I haven't. But I have my eye set on the Granada series boxset, but last I checked, it was still so damned expensive!

Looking forward to the new film then? I really don't know what to think of an all-action version. Ok, he was supposedly adept at martial arts, wrestling, etc, but the point was he hardly used them...

Yes I am! I think Iron Man could make a great Holmes, but like you, I'm not sure about the whole action movie angle. I like the calm and deductive nature of Holmes. Guess we'll see how it turns out before too long ;)

northbloke

« Reply #436 on: December 13, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »

No I haven't. But I have my eye set on the Granada series boxset, but last I checked, it was still so damned expensive!

If you can multi-region, Play.com have it here for just under £30.

RossRoy

« Reply #437 on: January 09, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »
Paranormal Activity
WHAT THEY SAY
YOU DEMANDED IT and now the surprise hit critics call "one of the scariest movies of all time" can be experienced in the most terrifying place of all...your home.

After a young, middle-class couple moves into what seems like a typical suburban house, they become increasingly disturbed by a presence that may or may not be demonic but is certainly most active in the middle of the night. Especially while they sleep.

Paranormal Activity builds suspense night after night all the way to the shocking ending. Roger Ebert calls it "truly scary." Go ahead, WE DARE YOU TO WATCH IT AT HOME...at least you can leave the lights on.

MY THOUGHTS
<shivers> that's a creepy movie! I wouldn't say it really scared me, and I did find it a bit too predictable. But, some scenes are just downright creepy and made my skin tingle!

But I don't know why it didn't scare me. It's exactly the kind of thing that usually scares the shit out of me: Blair Witch, The Ring, The Grudge.. they fall in somewhat the same mold regarding paranormal activities. Is it because I wasn't alone? Maybe I should have watched it alone..

Either, I still found it to be a good movie. I like how it ever so slowly builds up and how it doesn't rely too much on jump scares.

One last thing: I hope they release a new DVD down the line that includes the so-called "Festival Ending" (look it up on IMDb).. It sounds a whole lot more terrifying than what is on the DVD. The "Steven Spielberg"-proposed theatrical ending I found lacking... though it is much better than the "Director's Cut" ending...

RATING:

RossRoy

« Reply #438 on: January 09, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »
The Haunting in Connecticut
WHAT THEY SAY
Based on a chilling true story, The Haunting in Connecticut charts one family's terrifying, real-life encounter with the dark forces of the supernatural. When the Campbell family moves to upstate Connecticut, they soon learn that their charming Victorian home has a disturbing history: not only was the house a transformed funeral parlor where inconceivable acts occurred, but the owner's clairvoyant son Jonah served as a demonic messenger, providing a gateway for spiritual entities to crossover. Now unspeakable terror awaits, when Jonah, the boy who communicated with the powerful dark forces of the supernatural, returns to unleash a new kind of horror on the innocent and unsuspecting family.

MY THOUGHTS
I didn't quite like it, and I didn't quite hate it. The movie is interesting, but the reliance on cheap scare tactics and horror clichés destroyed it for me. The movie touts being based on actual events, but it blows it so much out of proportions, that I kept "disconnecting" from the movie. It's worth a watch, but meh!

RATING:

RossRoy

« Reply #439 on: January 24, 2010, 09:06:37 PM »
Downfall
WHAT THEY SAY
Called "dramatic, accurate and harrowing" by the 'San Francisco Chronicle' and nominated for the Oscar® for Best Foreign Film, DOWNFALL takes you into Hitler's bunker during the brutal and harrowing last days of the Third Reich. Seen through the eyes of Hitler's infamous secretary Traudl Junge, optimism crumbles into grim realization and terror as it becomes clear that Germany's defeat is inevitable. As the Russian army circles the city, the dimly lit halls of the underground refuge become an execution chamber for the Fuhrer and his closest advisors.

MY THOUGHTS
I quite liked this portrayal of Hitler, as it makes a lot more sense. If you look at previous portrayals, there is no way a whole nation would rally behind such a man. But here, with the way Ganz plays him, it is a way to show how a whole nation could get manipulated into Hitler's plan. 

The movie as a whole is also good. It gives a believable look at the last days of Hitlet's reign, but I do think the movie drags on at times. It is worth a watch though, if only to get the other side of the medal, so to speak.

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #440 on: January 24, 2010, 09:13:59 PM »
Forrest Gump
WHAT THEY SAY
Forrest Gump is the movie triumph that became a phenomenon. Tom Hanks gives an astonishing performance as Forrest, an everyman whose simple innocence comes to embody a generation. The winner of six Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Director (Robert Zemeckis) and Best Actor (Tom Hanks).

MY THOUGHTS
I just love Forrest Gump! I could watch again and again and never tire of it. Everything comes together to create a great mesh: music, images, acting, the story itself, the special effects, everything.

This, to me, is a masterpiece of créativité.

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #441 on: January 24, 2010, 09:18:14 PM »
Big Fish
WHAT THEY SAY
Throughout his life, Edward Bloom (Ewan McGregor) has always been a man of big appetites, enormous passions and tall tales. In his later years, portrayed by five-time Best Actor Oscar® nominee Albert Finney (Best Actor in a Supporting Role, Erin Brockovich, 2000), he remains a huge mystery to his son, William (Billy Crudup). Now, to get to know the real man, Will begins piecing together a true picture of his father from flashbacks of his amazing adventures in this marvel of a movie.

MY THOUGHTS
Marvelous movie. I just love everything Tim Burton's made, and this is no exception. This is such a heartwarming father and son story, with some great imaginative storytelling. The actors all give great performance, but I especially like Ewan McGregor. He is perfect in the role of Edward Bloom showing cunning and naïveté all at the same time. Another movie I could watch again and again and not tire of it.

This movie also is one of the very few to actually draw a tear from me.

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #442 on: January 24, 2010, 09:22:25 PM »
The Grudge
WHAT THEY SAY
From filmmaker Sam Raimi (Spider-Man®, Army of Darkness) and acclaimed Japanese director Takashi Shimizu comes a terrifying tale of horror in the tradition of The Ring and 28 Days Later.

Sarah Michelle Gellar (TV’s "Buffy The Vampire Slayer") stars as an American nurse who has come to work in Tokyo. Following a series of horrifying and mysterious deaths, she encounters the vengeful supernatural spirit that possesses its victims, claims their souls, then passes its curse to another person in a spreading chain of horror. Now, she must find a way to break this supernatural spell or become the next victim of an ancient evil that never dies, but forever lives to kill.

MY THOUGHTS
It's odd. Last time I watched this, I remember liking it and being scared here and there. Either I'm confusing it with something else, or it's lost its effectiveness since. Either way, I was disappointed this time. I found the story lacking, the ghosts too obvious and predictable. Guess it's true that tastes change with time.

RATING

Najemikon

« Reply #443 on: January 24, 2010, 09:29:22 PM »
It's odd. Last time I watched this, I remember liking it and being scared here and there. Either I'm confusing it with something else, or it's lost its effectiveness since. Either way, I was disappointed this time. I found the story lacking, the ghosts too obvious and predictable. Guess it's true that tastes change with time.

Maybe you watched the proper version last time and not the rubbish remake!  ;)

I like Big Fish too, but Forrest failed for me on the last viewing. That last act is such a letdown.
(click to show/hide)

RossRoy

« Reply #444 on: January 24, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
Dead Silence
WHAT THEY SAY
Dare to unlock the deadly curse of Mary Shaw...

From the writers and director od 'SAW' comes a new thriller of relentless terror! Ever since Mary Shaw was hunted down and killed, the small town of Ravens Fair has been haunted by horrific deaths. When a local's wife is brutally murdered, he returns home to unravel the terrifying legend of Mary Shaw and the reason why when you see her, you should never, ever scream.

Beware the stare of Mary Shaw.
She has no children, only dolls.
If you see her in your dreams,
be sure you never, ever scream or
she'll rip your tongue out at the seam.

MY THOUGHTS
Well! I've always found ventriloquist dolls quite creepy. This is not going to help ;)

But I was disappointed again. The movie is OK, but I find it lacked tension. The kills and makeup effects are nice, but there's very little tension leading to them.

(click to show/hide)

Also, if it me, of does Billy (on the cover) almost looks like an unfinished and/or alternate/early version of the Jigsaw mask (from Saw)? ;)

RATING

RossRoy

« Reply #445 on: January 24, 2010, 09:35:12 PM »
I like Big Fish too, but Forrest failed for me on the last viewing. That last act is such a letdown.
(click to show/hide)

I know what you mean, that part bothers me too. But at the same time, Forrest looks so happy starting from that moment in the movie, I find it almost makes up for it.

Actually, I always get annoyed at Jenny, especially with her comment early in the movie, when she tells Forrest that he doesn't even know what love is. I know it's meant as a double-entendre, but at face value, it annoys me so much.

RossRoy

« Reply #446 on: January 24, 2010, 09:38:07 PM »

But I can't help to wonder how that went to wrong. I mean, it's the same director, and the same actors for the ghosts. Oh well, guess the studios in Hollywood truly are broken ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #447 on: January 24, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »

But I can't help to wonder how that went to wrong. I mean, it's the same director, and the same actors for the ghosts. Oh well, guess the studios in Hollywood truly are broken ;)

It's so long since I saw it. But excuse the blatant self-promotion and consider what I said in my review for Ring 2. That sequel to the remake (which actually wasn't terrible), also managed to employ the original director. Somehow though, the understated Japanese style kept jarring with the Hollywood overplaying of music and a cast who were used to being nervous from the start, instead of honest.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #448 on: January 24, 2010, 10:57:03 PM »
I quite liked this portrayal of Hitler, as it makes a lot more sense. If you look at previous portrayals, there is no way a whole nation would rally behind such a man. But here, with the way Ganz plays him, it is a way to show how a whole nation could get manipulated into Hitler's plan. 

In Germany this movie has been criticized for making Hitler a human being and not a monster. Un-demonizing Hitler is usually a big no-no around here.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 24, 2010, 11:22:25 PM »

I just love Forrest Gump! I could watch again and again and never tire of it. Everything comes together to create a great mesh: music, images, acting, the story itself, the special effects, everything.

This, to me, is a masterpiece of créativité.

I have to admit that I'm completely in the opposite camp on this one. I saw it in its original theatrical run and both my wife and I would have rather endured an interrogation session at Guantanamo in its place.  :yucky: