Author Topic: RossRoy's Random Viewings  (Read 293692 times)

Najemikon

Re: RossRoy's Random Viewings
« Reply #570 on: August 13, 2010, 09:36:45 PM »
Yeah, that was me. Pete had just posted his review of Sherlock Holmes, a film I do like, but suddenly feels a bit dumb and obvious now there is this version.

RossRoy

« Reply #571 on: August 14, 2010, 03:03:37 PM »
I just started watching Torchwood Season 1 (spin off of Doctor Who starring Capt. Jack Harkness).

I like it, but what type of cameras are they using? It looks odd.. It looks flat, artificial, almost too clean.

Najemikon

« Reply #572 on: August 14, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »
Hmmm, not sure. I never watched Torchwood properly as it didn't grab me. Apparently it improves immeasurably for series 2. Maybe that goes for the photography too!  ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #573 on: August 14, 2010, 03:52:58 PM »
Well if IMDB is to be trusted - it seems they filmed with Digital HD Cameras at 25fps

I wonder if it could be the 25fps that's putting me off. I'm used to either film at 24fps, or NTSC at 29.97fps

Najemikon

« Reply #574 on: August 14, 2010, 04:00:33 PM »
It would make sense. Digital HD has been coming in slowly for certain productions.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #575 on: August 15, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »
I just started watching Torchwood Season 1 (spin off of Doctor Who starring Capt. Jack Harkness).

I like it, but what type of cameras are they using? It looks odd.. It looks flat, artificial, almost too clean.

There are a few newer shows that I've seen a little of that I thought something looked off in them.  I think that's it..too clean and artificial looking.  It's just odd.

RossRoy

« Reply #576 on: August 28, 2010, 01:55:49 AM »
Hmmm, not sure. I never watched Torchwood properly as it didn't grab me. Apparently it improves immeasurably for series 2. Maybe that goes for the photography too!  ;)

I does improve quite a bit with Series 2! Though Series 1 is already pretty good!

But I'm still not used to the Digital HD cams.. ;)

---

Also, are openly gay male superhero leads common in the UK?

Not that I'm complaining, especially since you could described Jack as omni-sexual, he'll hit just about anything: female, male, aliens, etc. But I was surprised when the episode "Captain Jack Harkness" (when we find out how he got his name) involved a slow dance and a male-male kiss! And it's not the only time it happened either! I was a bit taken by surprise on that. We definitely don't see it often this side of the pond.

Najemikon

« Reply #577 on: August 28, 2010, 10:33:19 PM »
I've often mentioned our soaps on this forum and it's programs like Coronation St, Eastenders and Emmerdale that are popular and good enough to be able to gently push the edge of what is accepted. I think Eastenders had the first male gay kiss in about 87? Still, I preferred Brookside's storyline with a young Anna Friel...  :devil:

Bear in mind soaps get shown at peak viewing times, like early evening, so yes, it is accepted.

They've come so far now, a show like Emmerdale has had a host of gay characters with very substantial and intelligent story-lines. It is absolutely accepted across the board now, but still, Russell T. Davies deservedly got a great deal of credit for going one step further and doing so in a sci-fi genre show. Doctor Who is at heart a children's show, but Captain Jack is well defined character even then.

RossRoy

« Reply #578 on: August 28, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »
Doctor Who is at heart a children's show, but Captain Jack is well defined character even then.

On Doctor Who, the gay undertones of Jack Harkness aren't present, or at least very toned down. I didn't really notice any. He's even going openly after Rose, and then Martha later on.

It's really on Torchwood that they explore his open minded sexuality. And it makes sense for the character. After all, he's a 51st century Timecop that ended up stuck in the 18th century waiting for the Doctor. And at the time he got stuck, he had already lived quite a bit. And since he can't die, and they make it clear that he's stuck in the 18th century having to wait for the Doctor to come back, for which "the century will turn twice", means Jack has lived a looooong time. So it really makes sense that he would seek comfort with whoever, or dare I say whatever. Afterall, in a sense, he's not human anymore.

It's unrelated, but I'm currently watching an episode that shows how each member of Torchwood ended up being recruited. It's funny because for Jack, instead of saying so-and-so years ago, they say "1,392 deaths earlier". Thought it was funny! :)

Najemikon

« Reply #579 on: August 29, 2010, 12:02:26 AM »
On Doctor Who, the gay undertones of Jack Harkness aren't present, or at least very toned down. I didn't really notice any. He's even going openly after Rose, and then Martha later on.

Well, it's a while since I saw it, but I distinctly remember the way he looked at the Doctor very early on...  ;)

RossRoy

« Reply #580 on: August 29, 2010, 12:49:21 AM »

Well, it's a while since I saw it, but I distinctly remember the way he looked at the Doctor very early on...  ;)

Maybe I just didn't notice until Torchwood because in Torchwood.. well they are not undertones. It's right-smack-in-your-face-tones!  :laugh:

RossRoy

« Reply #581 on: August 29, 2010, 12:52:12 AM »
Argh! I hate that!  :voodoo:

I've been lucky so far with those, but it seems I'm having a streak of bad luck.

What do I mean? Bad discs.

Disc 4 of Torchwood Series 2 is bad. Right at the end of the season finale (ring a bell? Happened not too long ago on Farscape  :voodoo:)

Fortunately, I haven't bought them all that long ago, and I've just found the receipt! So I'll go see tomorrow if I can't get them to exchange it.

Oh and to make matters worse, I think it killed off my on-the-brink DVD reader! Good that they are cheap these days..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 12:57:18 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 29, 2010, 12:58:06 AM »
Happen to me with my copy of Postal. It works fine when I did the profile, but when I decide to watch it 6 or 7 months later it freezes in the middle... Of course it was too late to get a replacement after all this time, maybe I would have tried if I would got it from Amazon but since it was from Walmart it was a lost cause...

RossRoy

« Reply #583 on: September 05, 2010, 03:02:48 AM »
I'm currently watching Doctor Who Series 4 - and in it, The Doctor has a new companion. Donna Noble.

Now, in Series 3's Xmas Special, Donna was featured. I found her a bit annoying. So when I saw she'd be the replacement for Series 4 I got concerned.

But my oh my is she growing on me! I love her! And I'm finding she's the most beautiful of them all so far too! I must be getting older...  ;)

Rose Tyler - Series 1 & 2
Martha Jones - Series 3
Donna Noble - Series 4

Najemikon

« Reply #584 on: September 05, 2010, 03:17:24 AM »
Over Billie? Yeah, you're getting older! ;) mind you, the current assistant is a cracker...

But Donna made for the most satisfying assistant arc I think. She is independent and not besotted. Some of her lines are brilliant. I love the sequence of her and the Doc meeting again! The little fat creatures are fun too.

The Christmas special wasn't taken as seriously I think because it was probably supposed to be a one off with Donna. What you probably don't know is that Catherine Tate is a very popular commedienne with her own sketch show and catchphrases, so it was a real novelty to see her in this.

Search Youtube for "Catherine Tate Nan"... :D

If you still find her attractive, there's no hope for you and your definitely old! :tease: