Author Topic: Cowboys & Aliens  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Cowboys & Aliens
« on: August 01, 2011, 10:12:46 AM »
I went to see Cowboys & Aliens on Friday. I've been interested in seeing the movie for a while.

Time is taken to set things up, though the plot really isn't as strong as it could have been and there isn't much character development.  I like the idea of aliens turning up in the old west.  There is more attention given to the action scenes.  Those are done well, and some of them are pretty cool.  The CGI is done well.  I thought the aliens looked creepy.  A few things shown are a bit gross. 

The characters are likable enough overall and somewhat interesting.  They just could have been a bit more developed.  Harrison Ford's character isn't exactly a bad guy, but he isn't that nice either.  He will use extreme measures to get his way and he throws his weight around the small local town.  Ford is great in the part, though it is a little weird to see him in a part like that.  Daniel Craig does really well with the part of Jake, the guy who ends up in the middle of the mess without knowing who he is. 

The movie is just fun and entertaining overall even though the plot could be stronger. 

I would have rated the movie 3.5 if I had the option at Epinions.  I rounded up to 4 since I didn't have that option.

I did get a review - without spoilers - posted at Epinions.

Cowboys & Aliens

Rogmeister

Re: Cowboys & Aliens
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 03:35:11 PM »
Interestingly, I hadn't been to a movie in two years until last week when I went twice.  This was one of the two movies I went to and I enjoyed it a great deal.  I even plan to buy the soundtrack when it comes out in a couple weeks...I always enjoy a good soundtrack and this one wast properly western-sounding.  In the early part of the movie, before the aliens show up, this had the feel of a real western which I appreciated.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »
What other movie did you see?
The soundtrack was good..I liked it too.

Rogmeister

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:36:27 PM »
On Sunday, I saw Captain America: The First Avenger and I saw Cowboys & Aliens the following Saturday.  I managed to see Cap in 2D.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 02:49:10 AM »
I saw Captain America is the 2D too.  Hmm..that reminds me..I can't remember if I posted about it here...well if I haven't, I'll fix that in a bit.

I'm probably going to another movie tomorrow.