Author Topic: Marie's Random Movie Viewing  (Read 66327 times)

Offline GSyren

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Marie's Random Movie Viewing
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2013, 06:11:26 PM »
Most often used quote from Princess Bride:
"My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Yes, it's truly a classic and worth watching several times. When it was released on Blu-Ray it was a given double dip for me.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2013, 04:25:55 AM »
I haven't read the book..I think I did see it somewhere once and almost got it.  Not sure why I didn't now.

I love that line...especially later in the movie when he finally found who he was looking at and he just kept going..  I also like Inigo Montoya in general.

It was a double dip for me too.  It looks gorgeous on Blu.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2013, 01:18:23 PM »
I bought and watched The Princess Bride many years ago because of all the great reviews it had. After watching it... I found it to be fair at best. I actually struggled to get through it... been in my collection for many years and never bothered to pop it back in. But hey... what do I know? I am the same guy that likes Omen IV: The Awakening:bag: :laugh: :tease:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »
You struggled to get through it?  Really?  It isn't even a musical.   :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2013, 11:05:24 AM »
 :laugh: :bag:
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2013, 07:54:05 AM »

The Mummy
Deep in the Egyptian desert, a handful of people searching for a long-lost treasure have just unearthed a 3,000-year-old legacy of terror. Combining the thrills of a rousing adventure with the suspense of the legendary 1932 horror classic, The Mummy is a true nonstop action epic, filled with dazzling visual effects, top-notch talent and superb storytelling.

I was interested in seeing this one back when I first saw trailers for it before it was released.  I didn't see it until I rented it - I think it was on VHS - and the movie was one of the first I got when I got a DVD player.  Unfortunately I didn't realize there was a full screen version and a widescreen version...and I ended up with the full screen.   >:(  It drove me nuts when I would watch the movie and Evie or Jonathan were cut out of the scene.  I eventually got a widescreen version for like $3.  I recently got the collection on Blu-ray. 

I still really enjoy this movie.  It is a fun, adventure type of movie to me.  It did freak me out just a bit when I watched it for the first time - I watched it alone, late at night.  Now I just see it as a fun, entertaining, adventure movie.  The movie looks really good on Blu.  There is a good mix of adventure, action, and humor in the movie.  I like Rick, Evie, and Jonathan - Jonathan still makes me laugh. 

I think the movie and the effects have held up well and it is still worth watching.

I did one of my first reviews at Epinions on this movie - which I later went back and updated - if anyone would like to take a look.

The Mummy

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »

The Mummy Returns
An ancient legacy of terror is unleashed when the accursed mummy Imhotep (Arnold Vosloo) is resurrected – along with a force even more powerful: the Scorpion King (The Rock). Now, as the fate of all mankind hangs in the balance, Rick O'Connell (Brendan Fraser) and his wife, Evie (Rachel Weisz), embark on a daring, desperate race to save their son – and the world – from unspeakable evil. The Mummy Returns is supercharged with pulse-pounding action and spectacular special effects that'll blow you away.

I first saw this movie in the theater on opening day for it - this was actually the first movie I went to see on opening day.  I really like Rick and Evie, so I was happy to see them in another movie.  I like Jonathan too and I loved some of his interactions with Alex.  The movie is another fun, adventure type movie and it connects well to the first movie.  I've seen that some people have said that it contradicted the first movie when Evie was the reincarnation of Anuk-sun-amon.  The first movie never said she was...Imohtep was just going to scarfice Evie for the ritual to bring back Anuk-sun-amon - I may have spelled that wrong, sorry - and then her spirit would take over Evie's body.  I still really enjoy this movie when I watch it. 

This was another of my first reviews at Epinions that I went back and updated later.

The Mummy Returns

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor
Brendan Fraser and Jet Li star in the action-packed adventure The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor! When a 2,000-year-old curse is broken, a ruthless dragon emperor (Li) comes back to life with a diabolical plan to enslave the world. Mankind's only hope against him and his legions of undead warriors lies with the courageous O'Connell family, who chase him from the dangerous catacombs of China, to the icy Himalayas and beyond. Featuring intense battle sequences, breathtaking visual effects and extraordinary creatures, it's a thrilling journey that Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun-Times calls "the best in the series!"

I first saw this one in the theater on opening day.  I did like seeing Rick and Evie again, but something was missing from this one.  The characters seem a little off, which is probably at least partially because Maria Bello took over the part of Evie.  She's fine in the part, but she isn't the same Evie and that changes the dynamics of the characters.  I think it would have worked a bit better if they hadn't jumped so far ahead.  Rick and Evie just don't look old enough to be Alex's parents now.  I don't like that Alex acts like he can't stand his parents anymore, especially Rick.  That was just an excuse to add more tension or drama or something that wasn't needed.  The family was really strong and close in the second movie so it doesn't seem right that things would be so different.  It does add something somewhat new to be in China, but the new bad guy isn't that different from Imhotep.  He's just driven by a need to rule the world instead of wanting to bring back the love of his life.  The movie is fun and entertaining overall, but I didn't like it as well as the first two movies.

I did get a longer review posted on Epinions after I first saw the movie.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #98 on: July 15, 2013, 08:30:47 AM »

Wreck-It Ralph
Prepare for adventure when "the most original film in years" (Bryan Erdy, CBS-TV) that thrilled audiences of all ages drops on Blu-ray! From Walt Disney Animation Studios comes a hilarious, arcade-game-hopping journey in Disney's Wreck-It Ralph.

For decades, Ralph has played the bad guy in his popular video game. In a bold move, he embarks on an action-packed adventure and sets out to prove to everyone that he is a true hero with a big heart. As he explores exciting new worlds, he teams up with some unlikely new friends including feisty misfit Vanellope von Schweetz. Then, when an evil enemy threatens their world, Ralph realizes he holds the fate of the entire arcade in his massive hands.

Featuring an all-star voice cast and breakthrough bonus features that take you even deeper into the world of video games, Disney's Wreck-It Ralph has something for every player. Bring home the ultimate reward on Disney Blu-ray!

I went to see this movie back in November and really enjoyed.  I liked it just as much watching it a second time on Blu-ray.  It is a fun, entertaining movie that is good for families, though younger children won't have any idea who some of the game characters are.  Adults may like that part of the movie more.  The movie has an interesting plot, with the characters of video games being alive and the serge protectors in the arcade being like a train station. The animation is very well done and it really looks like the graphics from the older games when Ralph's game is shown at first.  Even once things change to the better animation, the characters from that game move a little differently. 

The movie is really fun and entertaining and it definitely deserves to be seen.  It is one of the more original ones I've seen in recent years.

I did post a longer review on Epinions after I first saw the movie.

Wreck-It Ralph

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #99 on: July 15, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Uncover the intimate details of the search to cast Harry Potter and his friends. See Daniel, Rupert and Emma's never-before-seen screen tests. Be there with stars and filmmakers walking onto the set of the exciting first day of shooting. Learn about Chris Columbus' critical, step-by-step decisions behind the creation of Harry Potter's world on screen. Look back on an amazing decade's worth of movies with Daniel, Rupert and Emma in new and vintage interviews never seen before.

As some of you many have noticed recently from my signature, I watched my Harry Potter movies again.  I still love the movies when I watch them even though I do have some issues with things in later movies.

This one is a very good adaptation, and it takes the time to properly set things up.  I know that some people thought the movie was too long and didn't cut out enough, but I don't agree with that at all.  I love discovering the magical world along with Harry.  The cast is great and they all fit their characters so well.  Yes the child actors weren't the strongest at times, but they get better in later movies.  Some of the effects late in the movie don't look as good but that doesn't detract from my enjoyment.  There is a sense of wonder in the movie - and the next few - that is missing from the last few movies. 

I did post a review after I saw the movie in the theater.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Discover the intriguing inside stories of why so many of Britain's most celebrated stars took roles in the series. See the newly unveiled screen test between Daniel Radcliffe and Evanna Lynch (selected to play Luna out of 15,000 hopefuls!) Go on the set to see firsthand how each of the directors brought unique strengths to the series. Witness the amazing transformations as Daniel, Rupert and Emma grow with their characters over a decade of unprecedented filmmaking.

This one is another good adaptation of the book and the important explanations aren't cut out.  I sometimes wonder how some of the other movies would have turned out if Christopher Columbus had directed them.  The story for this one is entertaining, and it starts the trend of the movies getting a little darker with each other as Harry and his friends get older.  I could have done without the snakes and the basalisk that looks like a giant snake to me.  That think still freaks me out a bit.  Hagrid's giant spider doesn't bother me a bit.  Professor Lockhart is an idiot and Kenneth Branagh is great in the part.  

Every time I watch the first two movies, I miss Richard Harris as Dumbledore.  Michael Gambon did fine when he took over, but he wasn't the same and Harris was absolutely perfect for the part.  He looks in these movies the way I imagined Dumbledore when I read the books. 

I did post a longer review at Epinions.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:21:17 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #101 on: July 15, 2013, 09:29:01 AM »

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Wonders never seen before...
Go behind the scenes at the Creature Shop, where wizards of animatronics, prosthetic makeup and computer-generated imagery work their magic • Share Daniel, Rupert and Emma's memories of creatures from the magnificent Buckbeak to the malevolent Dementors • Watch as creatures develop from page to sketch to model to screen • Discover how actors are transformed from humans to rats and werewolves • Witness Voldemort's evolution from grotesque, infant-like creature to the Darkest Force of all.

This is the first movie to have a different director and it is the first to start making odd changes and leaving out important explanations.  I still think it is stupid that Hagrid's hut and the Whomping Willow are moved and that long bridge is added along with that clock tower thing.  There isn't a proper explanation for what animagi are and the fact that they have to register with the Ministry of Magic.  A few things about Harry's dad and his friends are left out, including that they wrote the Maurader's Map.  Those little things would have just taken a few minutes to explain.  This is the smallest of the explanations left out, but it is the beginning of a bad trend with the movie. 

This movie does the best job at capturing the magical aspects of Hogwarts, with ghosts floating about all over and the paintings always moving.  I absolutely low how the paintings are done in this movie.  The rest of the movies barely show the paintings moving.  The sense of wonder and magic is out in full force in this one.

I did post a review after I saw the movie in the theater.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #102 on: July 15, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Journey into the Magic of Music and Sound...
Discover how musical themes for Harry, Hedwig, Luna and Lord Voldermort define each  character's on-screen identity • Learn how sound effects experts create the crunch of footsteps on snow and the whoosh of a flying broomstick • Go to the recording studios and see how each of the composers brought his orchestral vision to the films • Plunge into the fun as Daniel gets the sound of underwater dialogue just right • Feel the magic as music is added to a scene, intensifying the action and guiding the story.

This one had a lot of stuff cut out due to time concerns.  I don't mind that SPEW didn't get all the attention it did in the books, but I still think it should have come out that there are house elves at Hogwarts and that Doby was working there.  I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see Arthur and his sons show up to pick up Harry...and how Dudley gobbled up some of Fred and George's ten ton tongue toffee - I think that was what it was called.  That would have been fun to see.  Several things gets a little condensed and for the most part that doesn't bother me.  Dumbledore does seem a little off early in the movie, especially with how he reacts to Harry's name coming out of the cup.  Harry's fight with his dragon goes on too long, taking up time that could have been used for some important explanations.  It would have been nice if it had been shown at least once how Hermione and then Ron - after he was over his snit - helped Harry learn new spells that he might need for the tournament.  That would have helped to back up just how powerful a witch Hermione is..and that it isn't just all book smarts.  The paintings aren't as impressive as they were in the last movie. They never seem to move which is disappointing.  This one gets a lot darker later in the movie when Voldemort returns.  This was the first of these movies to be rated PG-13.  Voldemort is suitably creepy when he finally shows up.  There are still some good humorous moments too, like when Ron has to dance with McGonagall or when he is wearing his dress robes.  That is a ...unique look.

Even with the few issues I have with the movie, I still enjoy it and think it should be seen.  It is definitely best to watch these movies in order.

I did post a review at Epinions after I first saw the movie - this was the first of the Potter movies that I saw on opening day.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #103 on: July 15, 2013, 10:06:54 AM »

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Deeper. Bolder. Darker. As the eight Harry Potter films trace Harry's journey from innocent schoolboy to selfless hero, the series undergoes a transformation. Evolution – packed with exclusive content only available here – takes you along for every exciting step of the 10-year filmmaking odyssey.

This is my least favorite of the movies - it is my least favorite book too - but I still liked the movie overall.  Entirely too much was cut out just so the director could make this movie shorter than any of the others.  I read that even before the movie came out originally, which caused me concern...which I think was justified.  Important explanations are butchered or left out completely - unfortunately not the last time Yates would do this.  It wouldn't have taken that long to include the explanations, but they got cut.  Some of what was cut out from this one does end up being referenced in the final 2 movies, so people who haven't read the books will be clueless about some of those things.  The fact that Harry wanted to be an auror comes up in this book, but it is left out of the movie..only to be brought up in the next movie briefly out of nowhere.  Umbridge is a horrible, nasty character, though she doesn't seem as nasty as she did in the book.  The music is changed a bit at times and what I think of as the main Potter theme is mostly missing.  Some of the music that is used is  bit out of place, sounding too upbeat or happy for what is happening on screen in those parts.  Snape's memory is bungled, being so short, it is almost like it wasn't even used.  The whole point of what that memory was Snape's worst memory isn't even shown.  I still don't think Yates was a good pick to direct these movies. 

I did post a longer review at Epinions if anyone wants to take a look.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #104 on: July 15, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
In Harry Potter's world, portraits come to life, potions transform, time reverses, Quidditch players soar, dragons attack and magic is everywhere. Now, fascinating new insights, interviews and watch-it-happen footage let you experience the triumphs of technical wizards who conjured up an awe-inspiring alternate reality.

I have several issues with this movie, though I do still like it overall.  Stupid, pointless stuff is added in while once again important things from the book are left out.  The set up for the final movies is screwed up big time, with it being presented like Dumbledore had no clue that Voldemort had made horcruxes before they checked out Slughorn's memory.  That makes Dumbledore look stupid, which he wasn't.  I don't mind that an attack on a muggle bridge is added at the beginning of the movie since that helps to show that Voldemort's followers are openly going after muggles.  In the book, there are on going attacks that are mentioned every so often.  That doesn't happen at all.  Instead an attack on the Burrow is added that is a complete waste of time and just stupid.  It is more clear in the movie what Draco is up to than it was in the book.  Memories about Voldemort play a big part in the book, showing how he starts to become Voldemort and giving Harry more information for what will be coming. Unfortunately they aren't handled right in the movie.  The ones that are in the movie are done well..the problem is that most of them are cut out.  The ones that are cut out show things that would be helpful for Harry and help to show a fuller picture of Voldemort.  All of the memories were in an early draft of the script, but Yates said they were unimportant - again in an interview.  Stuff is added early in the movie with Harry in a normal coffee shop, reading the Daily Prophet in front of muggles.  That is just wrong.

I did post a longer review on Epinions after I saw the movie in the theater.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince