Author Topic: Eric's DVD watching.  (Read 116376 times)

Touti

Re: My "Whateva !" Marathon
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 12:57:55 AM »
Crimson Rivers - Angels of the Apocalypse

Synopsis
A murder victim with the same DNA as Christ. A serial killer mimicking the deaths of the 12 Apostles. Inspector Niemans (Reno) and a young, rebellious detective team up with a beautiful expert in religion to crack the case before their elusive suspect completes the cycle of terror, paving the way to an even bigger bloody catastrophe.

My Thoughts
Since I first watched "Crimson Rivers" I've been looking forward to watching this sequel but I couldn't find it on DVD so when I did not long ago I was thrilled and couldn't wait to watch it.  Between the time I ordered and received it I got comments from a few people saying it wasn't as good as the first one and I was a bit apprehensive when I sat to watch it because I was afraid I'd be disappointed.

It was the complete opposite, I was completely hooked withing 5 seconds, seriously, and I loved every second of it.  It may be a paradox but although I don't believe in god and I'm completely against any religion I'm actually a big fan of movies that deal with spirituality and religions.  I really love movies like "Stigmata", "Amen", "The Ninth Gate" etc.

"Angels of the Apocalypse" was no disappointment, if you like thrillers based on religions this movie is for you. 

I give it a perfect score.

Touti

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 07:32:36 PM »
Jack the Ripper

I've always been intrigued and interested by movies based on real serial killers like "Jack the Ripper" and "The Boston Strangler" (Not sure that's the correct title though).

This version of JTR however left me on my appetite, I found it totally uninteresting, the script isn't very good and the quality of sound and image are very low.

Score:

Touti

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 11:09:02 PM »
The Diary of Anne Frank

I think it would be a very good movie to discuss if we were to give another go at our "Movie Analysis" attempt.  Although I believe this movie is most probably far far away from what really happened, it brings up many questions about how 2 families can live together in hiding for over two years, cramped up in a small loft that they can never leave and having to be totally silent for 8 hours every day.

Good movie.

Score:

Touti

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2008, 01:26:11 AM »
Mr.Brooks

Blind buys can often be disapointing so it's actually very exciting when you end up with great movies.  Mr. Brooks is a very good suspense/thriller, I enjoyed every minute of it.  It's insanely brilliant.

(click to show/hide)

Score:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 01:31:40 AM by Touti »

Touti

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 04:14:32 AM »
Our Fathers

What's there to say except that I hate the catholic church a little bit more than I did 2 hours ago..........I didn't think that was possible.  A great reminder of why "organized" religions shouldn't exist, they are not required for one to have spirituality anyway.

Film Score:

Church Score:   :thumbdown:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 04:18:50 AM by Touti »

Touti

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »
Conspiracy of Silence

Not a great a movie but not bad either.

Score: I would normally give it but because I like Celtic music and their choices were particularly well suited to each scene I'll give a .

Touti

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 09:35:09 PM »
Tonight's the night !

Will post my comments and make Jon angry later  :hysterical:

Najemikon

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 10:18:11 PM »
"Forum moderators? I've shit 'em."  :devil:

You won't make me angry. You'll either be right or wrong, end of discussion... ;)

Touti

Re: Eric's DVD watching.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 09:23:37 PM »
Dans l'Oeil du chat

Summary: Pauline went on a trip from which she never came back.  Her fiance, Simon, will do anything to find her until he learns that she was found dead in some distant country but as he's emptying her apartment he begins finding troubling information.

My thoughts:  The story is very good, well written and the viewer doesn't really get what's happened to Pauline until the end of the movie.  The visual side however is not very interesting in my opinion.  Most (if not all) of the movie takes place in Pauline's apartment but it's not very appealing.  It's much like a Peace & Love apartment of the 60's with strange colors and dark rooms.  I think the story would have been better served by giving it a more "modern" flavor.

My score:  Overall it is still a good movie, I don't regret buying it.  Would probably watch again.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:26:14 PM by Eric »

Touti

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 09:31:50 PM »
Caché (Hidden)

Summary: Academy Award®-winner Juliette Binoche (1997, Best Supporting Actress, 'The English Patient') stars in CACHÉ, a psychological thriller about a TV talk show host and his wife who are terrorized by surveillance videos of their private life. Delivered by an anonymous stalker, the tapes reveal secret after secret until obsession, denial and deceit take hold of the couple and hurl them to the point of no return. CACHÉ is director Michael Haneke's dark vision of a relationship torn mercilessly apart by the camera's unblinking eye.

My Thoughts:  This is another very good thriller.  Binoche and Auteuil are as good as ever.  A very well made movie, I enjoyed watching it and would watch again although I'm puzzled by the end and don't quite understand why the director finished it the way he did.

My score:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:33:27 PM by Eric »

Najemikon

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 09:33:08 PM »
Tonight's the night !

Did you ever finish this? It's called the Long Good Friday, not the Bloody Long Good Friday :tease:

Touti

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 09:39:25 PM »
Tonight's the night !

Did you ever finish this? It's called the Long Good Friday, not the Bloody Long Good Friday :tease:

I've recently made the decision of changin my DVD watching habits.  I realized that I was feeling forced to watch certain movies at a certain times because of the Marathons and other discussions we have here.

I've decided to got back to what I've always done before, watch what I feel like and when I feel like it.  I have been wondering for a while how come I wasn't liking anything anymore.  I even wondered if maybe I just didn't like movies anymore and went as far as thinking for 1.3 seconds that I could sell my collection  :o

After thinking about that I realized the reason I was hating everything was because I wasn't watching what I wanted to so from now on I'll do just that.

For the marathons, it seems just impossible for me to run them, with my relatively small collection it's difficult to find enough titles that I haven't seen and that I would feel like watching.

As for "The Long Good Friday", I'll watch it again when I'm in the mood for that kind of movie and I bet I'll like it, I'm probably going to rewatch "Get Carter" one day or another and also like it.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 09:41:45 PM by Eric »

Najemikon

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
Fair enough, Eric, and well said. I noticed it in your "Watched" banner and thought you'd forgotten to review it...  ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 09:53:36 PM »
Tonight's the night !

I've recently made the decision of changin my DVD watching habits.  I realized that I was feeling forced to watch certain movies at a certain times because of the Marathons and other discussions we have here.

I've decided to got back to what I've always done before, watch what I feel like and when I feel like it.  I have been wondering for a while how come I wasn't liking anything anymore.  I even wondered if maybe I just didn't like movies anymore and went as far as thinking for 1.3 seconds that I could sell my collection  :o

After thinking about that I realized the reason I was hating everything was because I wasn't watching what I wanted to so from now on I'll do just that.

For the marathons, it seems just impossible for me to run them, with my relatively small collection it's difficult to find enough titles that I haven't seen and that I would feel like watching.

As for "The Long Good Friday", I'll watch it again when I'm in the mood for that kind of movie and I bet I'll like it, I'm probably going to rewatch "Get Carter" one day or another and also like it.

This is basically the reason I do not participate in the same marathons as a lot of people here do for the site... I just can not enjoy a movie unless I am watching it when I am in the mood to watch it. That is why I do my own marathons that I want to do... when I want to do them. :P
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 10:17:41 PM »
I sort of feel the same, but at the same time my friends and family don't share my obsession and it's nice to chat about the intricacies of a movie with like-minded souls who don't drool or fall asleep while I talk (I assume you don't anyway... BOO! HA! That woke you up, didn't it?) :laugh: So I dip in and out of marathons and reviews, because it's a sort of film club. I will certainly never watch a film if I'm not in the mood for it though.