Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires  (Read 12469 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires
« on: February 15, 2008, 01:54:19 PM »
Weekend Movie Marathon
Vampires
As most know... I am a huge horror movie fan... I have loved all types of horror movies every since I was a kid. And every since I was a little kid my favorite horror sub-genre has been Vampire Movies. I think what it is I like about Vampire movies is the fact that they normally look human. It is like... it is an evil from within. I think I also like how romanticized the vampire is... they make the hunt and the kill that vampires do almost sexual. Every female vampire is seemed to be made sexually attractive at the same time as being frightening. Then there is the fact that in most vampire movies once you become a victim of a vampire... you then become one yourself. Anyway... to stop from rambling on any further... let me just say... this weekend I ended up watching...

Salem's Lot
With 'Salem’s Lot', a blood-curdling shocker based on the novel by Stephen King, director Tobe Hooper ('Poltergeist') sends the time-honored vampire legend soaring on bat wings into the modern era.

Sinister events bring together a writer (David Soul) fascinated with an old hilltop house, a suave antiques dealer (James Mason) whose expertise goes beyond bric-a-brac and the dealer’s mysterious, pale-skinned "partner" (Reggie Nalder).
The solid supporting cast of vampire victims and fighters includes Bonnie Bedelia, Lew Ayres, Elisha Cook, Ed Flanders, George Dzundza, Lance Kerwin, Geoffrey Lewis and Marie Windsor.
It’s hard to keep the undead down. And so easy to be scared in 'Salem’s Lot'.

My Thoughts:
Yes... Salem's Lot again. What can I say. This movie (actually a TV Miniseries) holds a special place in my heart. This is the first vampire movie I ever remember watching.... and the start of my facination with vampires. I caught this for the first time on TV when I was still just a kid... not sure if it was the original run or not.. but I was young at the time. To this day I remember this movie frightening this youngun... watching it late at night... I was the only one up at the time. (I used to sneak out of my room and watch horror movies after bed time... but in my defense... all the best horrors was shown at night)... sitting on the couch... clunching a throw pillow to my chest... as I marveled at the truly scary vampire movie. I remember I made it all the way through.... I did not walk... but I ran to my room jumping in bed... hiding under the covers and afraid to shut my eyes. I thought Morning would never come!

Of course this movie does not scare me any longer... but then again... I haven't seen any horror movie that has scared me in a very long time. Not to sa the movie is any more or less scary... it just don't have the same effect it once did.Whenever I mention this movie I always hear the same thing... the scene with the young kid vampire scratching at his friend's window is the scary scene of this movie. I wouldn't disagree... but there is another scene that I believe gives that scene a run for it's money. One that I like to mention along with that scene. That is the scene of the grave digger rocking in the rocking chair... eyes glowing... and him hissing. In my opinion that scene was just as effective as the young boy vampire scratching at the window.

Needless to say... this is one I would always highly recommend to any horror fan... and an absolute must see for any fan of vampire movies. Now... please lets see a dvd release of Return to Salem's Lot!
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Vampires
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 03:34:56 PM »
Does this mean the Nosferatu avatar will arise from the dead? :laugh:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 03:55:07 PM »
LOL... I considered it... but in the end decided against it. I am still enjoying the one from Nightmare on Elm Street at the moment  :P But notice I was sure to put Nosferatu in the post above... couldn't leave my buddy our completely!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 06:18:04 PM »

Salem's Lot
Welcome to Jerusalem's Lot - Salem's Lot, as locals call it. Population: 1319. And growing eerier by the moment. Because an ominous outsider has moved into the sleepy New England town's foreboding Marsten House and brought with him an unspeakable horror.

This powerful new adaptation of Stephen King's terrifying bestseller stars Rob Lowe as a writer who returns to his hometown to confront his haunted past... and who soon leads the fight against a heart-stopping force of evil. Andre Braugher, Donald Sutherland, Samantha Mathis, Rutger Hauer and James Cromwell co-star, and help supply proof that when it comes to thrills, chills and unearthly dread you can't keep the undead down. Walk the streets of Salem's Lot... if you dare.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed watching the original so much today.... that I had the yearning to watch more... so I pulled out the remake. Obviously when I first heard that TNT was doing a miniseries remake of Salem's Lot I was initially very skeptical. But I have to (surprisingly) say... I really enjoyed the remake!... Al,most as much as the original! I think everyone did a fine job with this one... but the one person that stood out for me would have to be Donald Sutherland... I think he really nailed his role as Richard Straker. I would definitely recommend this one as well.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »

Vampires: Out for Blood
In the dark throbbing world of underground raves, people are vanishing without a trace and Detective Hank Holten (Kevin Dillon) is the only one who knows the terrible truth. Vampires. As Hank delves deeper into this bloody case, the horrors he witnesses take a toll on his sanity. Once bitten by a master vampire, Hank becomes the hunter intent on destroying these lethal creatures before they claim more victims.

My Thoughts:
While watching this one I was checking out some online reviews for it... and discovered that it is not a very liked movie. I was kind of surprised by this... even though it is not one of the best vampire movies I ever seen... I definitely enjoyed it. I first saw this movie on cable... I think on the USA channel... or maybe it was on the Sci-Fi channel... don't remember for sure. But I remember thinking then how much I enjoyed it... and was happy when it was announced for release. Since buying it I watched it around 4 or 5 times since. So I definitely feel it is worth the time to put into the movie. But after seeing a bunch of the online reviews I would say maybe you should rent it fist... after all... I know I tend to be more forgiving then most people when it comes to horror movies. It also helps that I am a big fan of genre actor Lance Henriksen... who plays the Police Captain.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 12:11:49 PM »

Bordello of Blood
A wickedly funny motion picture complete with all the 'hack'citement anyone could 'axe' for! Dennis Miller, stunning supermodel Angie Everhart and Erika Eleniak join every 'bodies'' favorite cutup, the Cryptkeeper, in a hip 'fright'mare of sly humor, sex appeal and go-for-the-juglar special effects.
Madam Lilith (Everhart) and her lucious cohorts run a most unusual bordello on the edge of town. They don't just take your money for services rendered - they bleed their customers dry! But wisecracking private eye Rafe Guttman (Miller) is on the case, and soon he must battle not only a den of scantily clad vampiresses, but also the Reverend Jimmy Current (Chris Sarandon), a slick televangelist with an all-powerful talisman.
The thrills and chills come so fast you'll never know where this tale will 'beheading' next.

My Thoughts:
It has been a while since I watched this one last! I have always been a big fan of the Tales from the Crypt TV Series... so was thrilled when I first heard they were making some Tales from the Crypt movies. Extra thrilled when I heard they were making a vampire movie. I don't normally care much for Dennis Miller... but I actually enjoyed him in this one. I also enjoyed Erika Eleniak in it as well. This is just a fun vampire movie... with a nice amount of eye candy for us guys.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 06:38:07 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 06:37:05 PM »

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Blonde, bouncy Buffy (KRISTY SWANSON) is your typical high school cheerleader - her goal is to "marry Christian Slater and die" and nothing gets in her way when it's time to shop. But all that changes when a strange man (DONALD SUTHERLAND) informs her she's been chosen by fate to kill vampires. With the help of a romantic rebel (LUKE PERRY), Buffy is soon spending school nights protecting L.A. from Lothos, the Vampire King (RUTGER HAUER), his sidekick, Lefty (PAUL REUBENS), and their determined gang of bloodsuckers. It's everything you'd expect from a teen queen in the Valley.

My Thoughts:
Well... it just felt like it was time to watch a comedy. I enjoy a good comedy horror now and then. I know a lot of people that prefer the TV Series to this movie... and I agree... I do enjoy the series more... but I do still enjoy the movie as well. This is the second Vampire movie I watched this weekend with Donald Sutherland... as he was (great) in the remake of Salem's Lot. As much as I enjoy this one...  I have no idea why. It isn't particularly that funny... but all the same I still really get a kick out of it.... and keep finding myself coming back to it!
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 07:04:13 PM »
As much as I enjoy this one...  I have no idea why.
Because it's Buffy after all.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 09:24:24 PM »
I know a lot of people that prefer the TV Series to this movie...
Not me. I've watched a couple of episode of the TV series and it didn't catch my interest at all. Sarah Michelle Gellar is a less than average actress (Kristy Swanson is way better than her) and for the movie Rutger Hauer is in it, so just that fact make the movie better.

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 10:55:57 PM »
Not me. I've watched a couple of episode of the TV series and it didn't catch my interest at all. Sarah Michelle Gellar is a less than average actress (Kristy Swanson is way better than her) and for the movie Rutger Hauer is in it, so just that fact make the movie better.

OMFG!!!  :voodoo: :o :redcard:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 12:13:16 AM »
As much as I enjoy this one...  I have no idea why.
Because it's Buffy after all.

Nah!.... It's not Buffy!... It's Buffy Lite!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 12:18:50 AM »

Dracula 2000
The master of modern horror, Wes Craven, presents this riveting adaptation featuring Jennifer Esposito ('Summer Of Sam'), Omar Epps ('In Too Deep'), Jonny Lee Miller ('Trainspotting'), Vitamin C ('Get Over It') and Jeri Ryan ('Star Trek: Voyager')! When a team of techno-savvy thieves break into a high-security vault, they don't discover priceless works of art… they find a crypt unopened for 100 years! Suddenly, the ancient terror of Dracula is unleashed, as his first destination is America and the exotic city of New Orleans -- a place where he feels right at home. Not far behind, however, is a vampire hunter (Miller) from London determined to save a young woman (Justine Waddell) with whom Dracula shares his dark legacy!

My Thoughts:
This is one I haven't seen in a quite a while. Is one I enjoyed alot.... but not one I would call a favorite. I would say it is an above average vampire movie. I really liked how they combined the vampire legend with religion... thought it was very strong and well done here. If you never seen this movie I would definitely recommend it.
Pete

lyonsden5

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 01:57:36 AM »

Have to agree with Jon here but think I need some of the horror mansion smileys to truly show my feelings.  :giljotiini: :hang: :burninacid: :rip:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 03:37:56 AM »
Have to agree with Jon here but think I need some of the horror mansion smileys to truly show my feelings.  :giljotiini: :hang: :burninacid: :rip:

When I was typing my comment I was sure that some users will not share it. But now I'm almost affraid  :laugh:

:surrender:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »

Vampires: The Turning
Connor is an American Muay Thai fighter living in Thailand with his girlfriend; he becomes a hero of circumstance when she is kidnapped and he must come to her rescue. Her abductors, however, are a formidable foe, for they are the vampires who have been hiding out in the far East for centuries. In order to combat the undead, Connor joins forces with benevolent vampires who turn him into one of them. Meanwhile, a beautiful Asian vampire begins to fancy our hero, challenging his resolve and introducing a dramatic love triangle into the mix. Incorporating standard vampire tropes into Eastern mythology, this unexpectedly well-made low-budget film boasts a beautiful exotic location and a good balance between drama and action executed by a talented cast of unknowns.

My Thoughts:
This is one that I don't own at this time... instead I watched this movie on FEARnet On-Demand. It wasn't the best vampire movie I ever seen... but I did enjoy it. It was a nice change to what I usually get and a really nice mixture of martial arts and vampires. Made me think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer a little... but different. It is a movie I do plan on adding to my collection before too long.
Pete