Author Topic: Angel Marathon  (Read 16786 times)

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Angel Marathon
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:02:50 AM »
I watched "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" at the end of last year and then ordered "Angel". It arrived shortly into the new year. "Buffy" was a blind buy for me but I enjoyed it a lot. "Angel" is also a blind buy which I am going to watch for the first time now.

Season 1

Disc 1

City of ...
Synopsis: Angel left Buffy and Sunnydale because he can't be with her. After he moved into his basement apartment in L.A. he encounters Doyle, a half-demon. Doyle gets visions from "The Powers That Be" that show him which lives Angel must touch to find true salvation. It isn't enough to save lives, he must save the souls as well. During the attempt to help a waitress who is terrorized by a former friend of hers he meets a powerful vampire...

My Opinion: This "The Powers That Be"-arc comes a bit surprisingly because we've already known Angel for three years. But they had to find a way for being Angel not just a Buffy-replacement.

Lonely Hearts
Synopsis: A serial killer haunts the single bars of L.A.. It's a demon who needs a new body on a regular basis until he finds the right one. Angel decides to stop him.

My Opinion: I like this new female cop. It remains to be seen when she will find out who/what Angel really is. But that depends on whether she is a recurring character. I'd like that.

In the Dark
Synopsis: After Buffy took the "Gem of Amara" (a ring that makes a vampire invincible) from Spike she sends it to Angel. But Spike doesn't give up that easily and he follows the ring to L.A.

My Opinion: Love to see Spike bad-ass-phase again, before he became "Hostile 17", before the chip. I alos liked the decission to willingly destroy the ring instead of simply getting it lost somehow.

I Fall to Pieces
Synopsis: Angel helps a young woman who is stalked by her ex-boyfriend (strictly speaking they never were a pair). But this man is a surgeon with a very unique amputation technique.

My Opinion: Freak of the Week. Nothing exceptional.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

Re: Angel Marathon
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 12:44:56 AM »
I'm going to enjoy reading your rundown of Angel! The same, but different. Some really cool stuff coming up, but I always hated the PTB angle; a whimsical Irish phrase forms the basis of the entire story? Luckily, I think they get better.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:40:11 PM »
Disc 2

RM W/A VU
Synopsis: Cordelia wants out of the grabage can which she has to call her apartment. Doyle, who has financial problems, makes a deal with Angel: Doyle organizes a new apartment for Cordelia and Angel helps him with his problems. But the apartment Doyle found is not really uninhabited.

My Opinion: Cordelia doesn't change at all - at least not yet. But it was cool to see how she talked the ghost out of her apartment.

Sense & Sensitivity
Synopsis: After Angel helped the cop Kate Lochley to bust a gangster, his attorney forces a senistivity training on the entrie police station. But the trainer has a very special teaching technique.

My Opinion: Angel on an emotional trip and he wants to express his feelings! Hard-ass cops who cry and hug each other. Liked it.

The Bachelor Party
Synopsis: As it comes out, Doyle is married. But his marriage failed because Doyle coulnd't handle being half-demon. Now his wife wants the divorce to marry another man - who is also a demon. But this one has special plans for his bachelor party.

My Opinion: This entire episode was meant to let Cordelia find out that Doyle is a half-demon - only that she didn't. They managed to avoid it somehow. But that aside, it was interesting to see "culturally integrated" demons.

I Will Remember You
Synopsis: The second part of the "Buffy" (4x08)/"Angel" crossovers. After Angel helped Buffy in Sunnydale without revealing himself, Buffy comes to L.A. to confront him. But then something happens which neither expected: Angel becomes human again - and that opens a can of possebillities for both.

My Opinion: Since I've watched all episodes of "Buffy" I could anticipate what would happen. But it was nonetheless nice to see Buffy again even when it didn't last long.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 12:30:18 AM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:36:59 PM »
Disc 3

Hero
Synopsis: A group of pure-blood demons who call themselves "The Scourge" hate all the half-demons and they try to destroy all of them because they "pollute" the demon blood. Angel & co try to help a group of refugees to escape from these demons.

My Opinion: Too bad that Doyle (Quinn) had to leave the show so early, that came a bit unexpected. On the other hand when it comes to Whedon you have to be aware that any main character could die at any time.
The parallels to the Nazis in this episode were quite obvious, although I have to say the the looks and the uniforms of the demons had a much closer resemblance to the Cromaggs from "Sliders" - but they were also characterized as similar to the Nazis.

Parting Gifts
Synopsis: While Angel and Cordelia mourn for their dead friend, Cordelia has to realize that she inherited something very special from him. Now she has the gift to get visions from the "Powers That Be" (PTB). Additionally there is a new demon hunter in town and he is after the newest client of Angel's.

My Opinion: Wesley?! That could become interesting. I presume he will give the show a humorous touch - at least that was my impression after seeing how he behaved in this episode. Let's see what they make of it.

Somnambulist
Synopsis: Angel dreams, that he is killing people again. As it soon becomes clear, this dreams become reality, but it isn't Angel who sucks the blood out of this people. But it is his fault.

My Opinion: Now that he is in the intro I am sure, Wesley (Alexis Denishof) will be a part of the show for quite some time. I also did wonder when someone from Angel's/Angelus's past would appear and I am counting on it that it will happen again. The fact that the detective now knows what Angel is should be a guarantee for some exciting events in the future.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 03:52:23 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 12:29:35 AM »
Now that he is in the intro I am sure, Wesley (Alexis Denishof) will be a part of the show for quite some time. I also did wonder when someone from Angel's/Angelus's past would appear and I am counting on it that it will happen again. The fact that the detective now now what Angel should be guarantee for some exciting events in the future.

:devil:

Just have a little faith, Karsten...  ;D

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 07:54:14 AM »
The fact that the detective now now what Angel should be guarantee for some exciting events in the future.
:bag:

Should have re-read this sentence.

I meant:

The fact that the detective now knows what Angel is should be a guarantee for some exciting events in the future.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 09:08:23 PM »
Disc 4

Expecting
Synopsis: Cordelia finally finds the time to go out again. She meets with a nice young guy in a bar and she invites him home. But when she wakes up the next morning, she is alone again - and pregnant in the ninth month.

My Opinion: I like it that they didn't forget about the ghost in Cordelia's apartment. And the OB/GYN won't forget their visit for quite some time.

She
Synopsis: Angel runs across a woman from another dimension who brings refugees from her into our dimension. But she is being hunted and they come closer.

My Opinion: This was a rather serious episode in comparison to the ones we've yet seen - even in comparison to the episode where Doyle died. It was a good change to the usual routine.

I'be Got You Under My Skin
Synopsis: After Cordelia got a vision, Angel saves a small boy from being hit by a car in the middle of the night. But then he has to realize that someone in that boy's family is possessed by an Ethros demon. Thus he has to find a priest who will do an exorcism.

My Opinion: Nice plot twist at the and of the episode. That was a bit unexpected.

The Prodigal
Synopsis: Kate's father is involved in some illegal smuggling but he doesn't know what he's gotten into. We also learn a lot about the time when Angel was still human and how he became a vampire.

My Opinion: The now-time was a standard-demon-kill-episode. But the flashbacks were interesting. We know some of his past from "Buffy" but this far back.
Karsten

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 12:29:32 AM »
Disc 5

The Ring
Synopsis: Angel gets lured into a trap by a new "client" and has to fight in a secret "sports event".

My Opinion: Those of you who know the episode "Tsunkatse" from "Star Trek: Voyager" or the episode "Combat" from "Smallville" should be familiar with the basic plot of this episode. With the exception that Angel or Clark are more believeable in that situation than 7 of 9.

Eternity
Synopsis: Someone tries to kill a very famous actress but Angel is there to prevent it. While Cordelia can't believe her luck to meet her, the actress can't believe that there is someone like Angel who has never even heard of her. But she also has a problem with the concept of aging and when she finds out, what Angel is, she decides to do something about it.

My Opinion: Angelus. "Nice" to see him again. This episode was most definitively a statement against drugs. But as a man I fail to understand why women have a problem with getting older. I've recently turned 30 and I couldn't care less.

Five By Five
Synopsis: The Slayer's back in town. Too bad that's the wrong one. Faith has come to L.A. and is hired by Wolfram & Hart to kill Angel. Additionally we see how Angel was cursed and how he got his soul back.

My Opinion: Faith can still sweep the floor with Angel. But I didn't like her appearance that much but that's mainly because I didn't like her in "Buffy" either. At least Wesley has become more serious.

Sanctuary
Synopsis: This episode continues where the last one left off. Faith is confused and has no idea what she is supposed to do. Wesley is understandably enraged and now the local police (meaning: Kate), a Watcher's Council commando unit and even Buffy is after her.

My Opinion: Unfortunately this is the last "Buffy"/"Angel" crossover until the "Buffy" series finale because "Buffy" ran on another network from the sixth season on. But I think the change of mind of Faith is hard to believe (given her history). But this was nonetheless an episode of serious decisions. I really liked it when Wesley stood up to the Council and also that Buffy can't rush into Angel's life and tell him how he has to live anymore.
Karsten

Najemikon

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 09:31:48 AM »
You didn't like Faith?  :o

Which of those last two episodes featured the torture scene? I always felt that was the turning point for Wesley and I think you'll like what they do with his character from now on.

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »
You didn't like Faith?  :o
Nope. Neither visually (I am always surprised when I see  :drooling: in combination with the name Dushku) nor the character Faith.

Which of those last two episodes featured the torture scene? I always felt that was the turning point for Wesley and I think you'll like what they do with his character from now on.
That was 5by5 and I hope so.
Karsten

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 03:41:10 PM »
Although I usually like Joss Whedon's stuff I don't care for Angel; I particularly don't like Cordela. The first season was okay and I've watched quite a few episodes of the rest but can't ever seeing myself buying one.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 07:11:36 PM »
Faith  :drooling:

Najemikon

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »
I wish I could have Faith...  :devil:

[trying the joke for the second damn time] :tomato:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »
Pete

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 10:50:02 PM »
Disc 6

War Zone
Synopsis: A group of youngsters fights on their own account and with self-made weapons against vampires. But the vampires intend to strike back and to strike back hard. Angel has to intervene to prevent a bloodbath.

My Opinion: The words "gang warfare" gets a whole new meaning. But the leader of the humans had to learn the hard way that the price can be high and that it is sometimes too high. This episode shows that very impressively.

Blind Date
Synopsis: A young woman attacks Angel and she can practically anticipate his moves. But there is a catch: she is blind and shouldn't be able to see anything at all.

My Opinion: This reminded me a bit of Daredevil with the exception that she went blind voluntarily. Why? To be able to see more. Unfortunately the attempt of Lindsey to return to the path of righteousness didn't last long.

To Shanshu in L.A.
Synopsis: A demon is summoned by Wolfram & Hart to retrieve the scroll that Angel stole. Additionally he is supposed to hurt Angel's friends.

My Opinion: I wasn't aware of the fact that Darla - Angel's Sire (the vampire who created another vampire) - was dead. If they've mentioned it in "Buffy" I must have missed it. But aside from that the season finale wasn't that interesting. The reason for that is that Angel didn't have a season enemy like it was usual in "Buffy". But at least Lindsey was punished for his betrayal.

The Season - My Opiniotn: To be honest, I am not very thrilled. That it would be different than "Buffy" was a given. But the show hasn't fully taken off yet and I would say this season was weaker than any "Buffy" season. But at least they have given Angel a goal. Now they have to make sure that he gets there.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 10:56:37 PM by DJ Doena »
Karsten