Author Topic: Kung Fu Panda 2  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Kung Fu Panda 2
« on: June 10, 2011, 06:15:07 AM »
Even though I've had issues with other DreamWorks animated movies, especially the Shrek sequels, I did want to see Kung Fu Panda 2. 

The plot does stand alone fairly well, though certain things will make more sense if the first movie has been seen.  The plot is interesting and entertaining and there is a bit of a darker tone to the movie.  That may be because Guillermo del Torro - can't remember how to spell his name - is one of the producers.  In addition to dealing with a new enemy, a deadly and menacing peacock, Po is also dealing with a few personal issues.  He's doing well with his kung fu, though Shifu says he still has to learn inner peace.  The different story elements work well together.  The last scene does set up a third movie..I haven't heard if one is being made, but I figure it will be.

The animation is done well and looks better than it did in the first movie.  The fur on the different animal characters stands out more now, with the individual hairs being visible.  Even though it is better, it still isn't anywhere near what Pixar did with Sully in Monster's Inc.  The movie is also in 3D.  I saw the normal version, so I don't know how good the 3D was.  DreamWorks has done ok with the 3D in some of their other movies.  There is a lot of fighting, which adds some action and violence.

The biggest problem is that so many of the characters barely say anything, making much of the voice cast wasted.  Tigress seems to get a little more to say and do, but the other members of the Furious Five only have a handful of lines.  Since they barely speak, anyone could have done the voices.  Shifu is in the beginning of the movie and then gone until very late in the movie.  As Monkey, Jackie Chan has maybe 4 lines.  Lucy Lu's Viper ends up with even fewer lines I think.  The characters are there, but they just aren't talking.  It kind of defeats the purpose of having so many known people voice characters when they end up with only a couple of lines each.

Overall, I really enjoyed Kung Fu Panda 2 and think it is worth seeing for people who like animated movies or who liked the first movie.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Kung Fu Panda 2