Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Memorial Day  (Read 20018 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Memorial Day
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2011, 04:08:58 PM »
     G.I. Jane: Widescreen (1997/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Director:Ridley Scott
Writing:David Twohy (Screenwriter), Danielle Alexandra (Screenwriter), Danielle Alexandra (Story By)
Length:125 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Demi Moore as Jordan
Viggo Mortensen as Master Chief
Anne Bancroft as Lillian DeHaven
Jason Beghe as Royce
Daniel Von Bargen as Theodore Hayes
John Michael Higgins as Chief of Staff

Plot:
Screen megastar Demi Moore (Disclosure, Indecent Proposal) is in top form in this action-packed hit! Moore stars as gutsy Lieutenant O'Neil, the first woman ever given the opportunity to earn a place in the armed forces' most highly skilled combat unit – the elite Navy SEALs! But the already brutal rigors of training camp turn into an unimaginable test of courage and determination once it becomes clear that no one – powerful politicians, top military brass or her male Navy SEAL teammates – wants her to succeed! A critically acclaimed triumph directed by action hitmaker Ridley Scott (Alien, Thelma & Louise) - you'll cheer for G.I. Jane as this brave soldier proves she belongs among the best of the best!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Feature Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I remember buying this DVD within the first couple years of collecting DVDs. I started collecting DVDs in May of 1997 when the format first appeared in my area. I watched this movie once when I first got it... and haven't thought about it since. I didn't forget about it because I hated it... because I remember enjoying it at that time. It has been so long since I seen it I decided to re-watch it today. I always loved a strong woman character... so a woman trying to become the first Navy SEAL fits that preference perfectly. I remembered correctly as I still enjoyed this one very much. There was a few minor things I didn't care for.. but that wasn't enough to take away from the enjoyment. I even enjoyed Demi Moore in this one... who is normally pretty hit or miss for me. I found this to be one of her better ones.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
But it is good as a standalone as well... right?  I don't have Letters from Iwo Jima. Watching one now... but trying to decide what else to watch today.
Yes it is.
The second part adds the Japanese view. You've got to love it.

Rogmeister

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »
Speaking of Apocalypse Now Redux, it aired on AMC (a U.S. movie channel) last night.  Unfortunately, this channel used to be commercial-free but now has as many commercials as any other crappy channel.  Thus, the running time of this movie is now stretched to a coma-inducing 4 and a half hours...  :redcard:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 05:52:18 PM »
I gotten to the point that I don't even watch movies on regular cable anymore. Just premium cable.
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »
Thus, the running time of this movie is now stretched to a coma-inducing 4 and a half hours...  :redcard:
At least they didn't cut it to fit a two hours slot schedule...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
     Flags of Our Fathers: Widescreen (2006/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

DreamWorks Home Entertainment
Director:Clint Eastwood
Writing:William Broyles, Jr. (Screenwriter), Paul Haggis (Screenwriter), James Bradley (Original Material By), Ron Powers (Original Material By)
Length:132 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:English, Spanish

Stars:
Ryan Phillippe as John "Doc" Bradley
Jesse Bradford as Rene Gagnon
Adam Beach as Ira Hayes
John Benjamin Hickey as Keyes Beech
John Slattery as Bud Gurber
Barry Pepper as Mike Strank

Plot:
On the frontline, there's no time for fear. For 70,000 marines who fought with bombs blasting and guns blazing, the bloody battle for Iwo Jima was more than the turning point of World War II; it was the defining moment in their lives.

In the epic that The New York Times calls "a sweeping spectacle," Academy Award®-winning director* Clint Eastwood taps into the single greatest emotional truth of warfare: soldiers may fight for their country, but they die for their friends. Hailed by critics as "a film of awesome power and blistering provocation, an amazing feat" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone), Flags of Our Fathers is a powerful true story of heroism and bravery that should be shared and remembered.

*Best Director, Unforgiven, 1992;
Best Director, Million Dollar Baby, 2004

Extras:
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I recently got in a box of discs that was given to me. Before then I never even heard of it. I enjoyed this one as well. It is pretty amazing how much can happen from a photo. And how much spinning people could possibly do around such a photo. While this one does have it's share of action... it isn't really about that. I found this film more interesting then anything. Definitely worth checking out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »
Well... I think I stuck with the War movies pretty good... especially considering they are not my favorite genre of movies. Not that you could tell by the ratings I gave these. :P But it is starting to become a heck of a chore to watch them now... so I think this movie marathon is now done.

I did enjoy it more then I expected to though!  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 08:15:25 PM »
No Full Metal Jacket :(

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
I have seen and reviewed Full Metal Jacket already... See it HERE  :thumbup:
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »
...and less than a year ago. ...and 4 1/2 stars :thumbsup:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2011, 06:28:08 AM »
The same weekend I made him watch Manos the Hands of Fate :whistle:
and since Pete knows I always recommand good movie for his marathon (:devil:) some weeks later he did watch War of the Robots I dared him to watch too...