Author Topic: Pick what I watch tomorrow  (Read 4236 times)

samuelrichardscott

Re: Pick what I watch tomorrow
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »

Written by John Hughes this is what you would expect from his hand, a funny above average comedy. Not as good as the films Hughes also directed but definately a good purchase. On a side note, just noticed this is OOP. Cheapest price for this on Amazon UK is £30 used. I payed $2.33 from SecondSpin during a 'heynow' 20% off and free international shipping promotion. Whatever happened to the 'heynow' promos? 3.5/5
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 04:19:23 PM by samuelrichardscott »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 05:56:07 PM »

An incredible viewing experience with a great thirty minute intro from director Peter Watkins. 4.5/5

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 08:10:08 PM »

Beautifully shot and perfectly cast, even the occasional slow section doesn't stop the enjoyment. 4/5

(You're 3/3 guys, going to hit up another of GG's recs and then watch Up so you'll be a minimum of 4/5!)

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:38 PM »

I was a little let down with Christophe Honore's Les Chansons d'Amour and that starred one of my fave French actresses Ludivine Sagnier and this disappointment (I still enjoyed it, just not as much as I had hoped) had kept me from watching this, Honore's previous film. Like Chansons it has a good cast, and a good story but it's just a little lacking. Ma Mere remains my fave Honore film but that is also rather mediocre. 3/5

I'll just re-type the same problems I had when I viewed this last year:
There were two things that I wasn't so keen on (but that's not to say I disliked them). First was Dug, a character I felt was slightly misplaced at times and the second were the dogs in airplanes which seemed as though it was an afterthought IMO. Apart from those very minor points though, this makes for excellent viewing. 4.5/5

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »

An incredible viewing experience with a great thirty minute intro from director Peter Watkins. 4.5/5
Thanks for reminding me of this one.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »

I was a little let down with Christophe Honore's Les Chansons d'Amour and that starred one of my fave French actresses Ludivine Sagnier and this disappointment (I still enjoyed it, just not as much as I had hoped) had kept me from watching this, Honore's previous film. Like Chansons it has a good cast, and a good story but it's just a little lacking. Ma Mere remains my fave Honore film but that is also rather mediocre. 3/5

I'm the opposite. I've seen five of his films so far and Dans Paris and Chansons d'amour are the two I love unreservedly. I can see why one may find Honoré's light-footed approach there lacking, but I appreciate that he is deep in a certain "french" way that isn't prone to melodrama. Ma mere I like the least, precisely because it is too heavy-handed with all that excess and enlightenment stuff. But I always found Bataille more boring than disturbing anyway.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:23:26 AM by goodguy »
Matthias