Author Topic: Tom's TV Pilots marathon  (Read 167223 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's TV Pilots marathon
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2011, 11:14:52 PM »
     Dilbert: The Complete Series (1999/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:373 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:

Plot:
DILBERT - the most popular comic strip of the decade - is now on DVD. With his signature turned-up tie, round glasses and buzz cut, Dilbert is already a pop culture phenomenon, providing an irreverent reference point for workers everywhere.

Developed and produced by Emmy Award-winning writer/producer Larry Charles ("Seinfeld," "Mad About You"), DILBERT, the series, follows the "every man" as he copes with daily life at The Company. 'Daniel Stern' ("The Wonder Years," 'Home Alone', 'City Slickers') stars as the voice of Dilbert, while 'Chris Elliot' voices his roommate Dogbert, who views the entire world as existing for his personal entertainment. Joining Dilbert in the office are his fellow engineers: the no-nonsense, caffeinated Alice ('Kathy Griffin') and selfish, slothful Wally ('Gordon Hunt').

Follow Dilbert and his co-workers as they try to make sense of corporate culture through witty banter and silly slapstick. Guest voices includes 'Jason Alexander, Andy Dick, Eugene Levy, Jay Leno, Jerry Seinfeld, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Tom Green' and more!

Dilbert
1.01 The Name

I haven't watched this series since I got the DVDs years ago. I am subscribed to the iTunes podcast, which brings you about one 20 second episode a day. This is the much better format for Dilbert, which of course is a four-panel comic. I also had trouble with the Wally character in this series. He is much better portrayed in the 20 second episodes.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2011, 11:22:53 PM »
     Dinosaurs: Seasons One and Two (1991/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment (United States)
Length:676 min.
Subtitles:English

Plot:
Meet the Sinclairs -- the funniest family in 60 million years! They're just your average family with one BIG difference. They're dinosaurs, living the good life in sixty million and three B.C.!

Daddy Earl, his wife Fran, their kids, Robbie, Charlene, and the Baby, and feisty Grandma Ethyl, bring a hilarious Jurassic twist to daily life as they eat, drink, make merry, and get their kicks watching cavemen rub rocks together.

Based on an idea by Jim Henson, the award-winning comedy series features state-of-the-art puppetry and audioanimatronics. For the first time, you can enjoy the complete first two seasons and rediscover the pre-hysterical fun all over again.

Dinosaurs
1.01 The Mighty Megalosaurus
Writer: Michael Jacobs (Created By), Bob Young (Created By), Michael Jacobs (Writer), Bob Young (Writer)
Director: William Dear
Cast: Dave Goelz (Earl Sinclair), Bill Barretta (Earl Sinclair), Stuart Pankin (Earl Sinclair (voice)), Allan Trautman (Fran Sinclair), Mitchel Young Evans (Fran Sinclair), Jessica Walter (Fran Sinclair (voice)), Steve Whitmire (Robbie Sinclair), Leif Tilden (Robbie Sinclair), Jason Willinger (Robbie Sinclair (voice)), Bruce Lanoil (Charlene Sinclair), Arlene Lorre (Charlene Sinclair), Sally Struthers (Charlene Sinclair (voice)), Kevin Clash (Baby Sinclair), John Kennedy (Baby Sinclair), David Greenaway (Roy Hess), Pons Maar (Roy Hess), Sam McMurray (Roy Hess (voice)), Steve Whitmire (B.P. Richfield), Sherman Hemsley (B.P. Richfield (voice)), Brian Henson (Arthur Henson), Terri Hardin (Additional Dinosaur Performer), Michelan Sisti (Additional Dinosaur Performer), Jack Tate (Additional Dinosaur Performer), Teri La Porte (Cavepeople), Michelan Sisti (Cavepeople)

I enjoyed this series while it was on TV. It also had a fitting ending. Strangely this time around I felt the pilot was a little slow. Like they weren't really comfortable with the big dinosaurs suits yet.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2011, 11:57:18 PM »
     Do Not Adjust Your Set (1967/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:280 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles:

Plot:
Teatime 1968. In millions of homes in England something strange was happening and TV comedy around the world would never be the same again - 'Do Not Adjust Your Set'. Hitting audiences like a wet fish in the face it was weird, wonderful and above all hilarious. 'Do Not Adjust Your Set' combined the writing and performing skills of Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin, added a dash of David Jason, a dollop of the legendary Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band and a hint of Terry Gilliam. Feast your eyes on the madness and discover how something completely different began....

This 2 DVD set features the recently rediscovered 9 episodes of the classic 'Do Not Adjust Your Set' series and a Comedy Family Tree poster booklet.

Do Not Adjust Your Set
1.01 Episode 1
This old series is written and stars three of the later Monty Pythons: Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin. This is supposed to be a children's show but you wouldn't know this if not told so. You can already see some of the typical Python humor here.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2011, 07:16:43 PM »
     Drawn Together: Season One (2004/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:152 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
It's DRAWN TOGETHER, the show that finally answers the question which has plagued mankind since the beginning of time and stuff: Can cartoon characters coexist peacefully?

DRAWN TOGETHER, TV's first animated reality show, follows the exploits of eight characters from across the animated universe living together in a house with a thousand cameras and unlimited access to booze, hot tubs and hand grenades.

You'll soil your pants in delight as you witness the entertertaining and morally deplorable exploits of the mystery-solving musician, the superhero, the fat chick, and many, many more (by which we mean five more).

Drawn Together
1.01 Hot Tub (2004-10-27)
Writer: Dave Jeser (Created By), Matt Silverstein (Created By), Matt Silverstein (Writer), Dave Jeser (Writer)
Director: Peter Avanzino
Cast: Adam Carolla ( (voice)), Jess Harnell ( (voice)), Abbey McBride ( (voice)), Jack Plotnick ( (voice)), Tara Strong ( (voice)), Cree Summer ( (voice)), James Arnold Taylor ( (voice))

"The first animated reality TV show". It's a celebrity Big Brother version with parodies of famous cartoon characters. My favourite is Princess Clara, the Disney princess parody.
The first episode is a good introduction to the characters. I enjoyed the series though I felt that it ran out of ideas in season three.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2011, 07:19:34 PM »
I will watch the Due South pilot at a later date. I have ordered today the UK season 1 set (it is currently with a good price). I always wanted to replace my RC1 set, which is bad picture and some DVDs are broken and make trouble for a few episodes.
I will break in my new set when it arrives by watching the pilot on it.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
     Early Edition: Season One (1996/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:1031 min.
Subtitles:

Plot:
What would you do if you knew tomorrow's news today? If you knew the winning lottery numbers? Could you rescue people from accidents and certain death? That's what Gary Hobson (Kyle Chandler) asks himself every day. A Chicago stockbroker whose marriage is on the rocks, Hobson becomes a reluctant hero when he is delivered the news a day in advance. Chuck (Fisher Stevens) is Gary's best friend and not above using Gary's knowledge for personal gain, and Marissa (Shanesia Davis) feels Gary should use his information to better people's lives. Now Gary has the chance and difficult responsibility of using this mysterious gift to help others avert tragedy and misfortune.

Early Edition
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Patrick Q. Page (Created By), Vik Rubenfeld (Created By), Ian Abrams (Created By), Bob Brush (Screenwriter), Ian Abrams (Screenwriter), Patrick Q. Page (Story By), Vik Rubenfeld (Story By), Ian Abrams (Story By)
Director: Michael Dinner
Cast: Kyle Chandler (Gary Hobson), Shanesia Davis (Marissa Clark), Fisher Stevens (Chuck Fishman), Milo O'Shea (Sherman), Ron Dean (Det. Marion Zeke Crumb), Felicity Huffman (Det. Tagliatti), Marc Vann (Phil Pritchard), Tom Noonan (Frank Price), Michael Bacarella (Fan), Maury Cooper (Homeless Guy), James "Ike" Eichling (Shaunnessey), Neil Flynn (Cop At Newsstand), Don Forston (Exterminator), Marianne Hagan (Marcia), Tracy Letts (Marksman), Malcolm Rothman (Guard at Bank), Jeff Still (Cop at Bank), Bill Visteen (Charlie), Alan Wilder (Friendly Guy), Linda Mac Lennan (Newscaster)

I enjoyed this series. Though I think it's a wonder that it survived four seasons. The pilot was a fitting introduction.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2011, 06:26:59 PM »
     Ellen: Season One (1994/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

A&E Television Networks, Newvideo (United States)
Length:301 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
With her good-natured smile and fast-talking wit, Ellen DeGeneres lights up audiences from coast to coast. The happy-go-luckiest woman in showbiz today, DeGeneres has graduated from the stand-up comedy circuit to become one of the Top Ten Comedians as named by Enertainment Weekly!

DeGeneres first catapulted to the A-List with the groundbreaking ABC sitcom, ELLEN. Spotlighting her talents as a hilarious writer and performed, the Emmy® Award-winning ELLEN melded the humor of everyday life with quirky plots and the easy-breezy stylings of its star's stand-up act.

Originally aired as These Friends of Mine, this rarely-seen debut season of ELLEN stars DeGeneres as mildly neurotic Los Angeles bookseller Ellen Morgan, whose nervous motor-mouthing often gets her in trouble, especially with her best friends Adam (Arye Gross), Anita (Maggie Wheeler), and Holly (Holly Fulger).

Ellen
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Neal Marlens (Writer), Carol Black (Writer), David Rosenthal (Writer)
Director: Neal Marlens
Cast: Ellen DeGeneres (Ellen Morgan), Holly Fulger (Holly), Maggie Wheeler (Anita), Arye Gross (Adam), William Bumiller (Roger), Matt Landers (Photographer), Giovanni Ribisi (Cashier), Duke Moosekian (Man in Line), Lois Viscoli (Depressed Woman)

An enjoyable episode of a rather average sitcom. One that got retooled after the first season. Wouldn't have been for Ellen's coming out during the series, I think it would have been mostly forgotten.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2011, 07:02:18 PM »
     Elfen Lied (2004/Japan)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:325 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Japanese: Dolby Digital 5.1

Plot:
In Elfen Lied innocence and evil collide in some very dark places. As the rooms in kohta's rented house fill with runaways and killer mutants - danger mounts outside. Whether it's from a renegade soldier or a mutant assassin - one wrong move could mean the difference between life and death!

Erufen Rito
1.01 Begegnung: Kaiko (2004-07-25)
Writer: Lynn Okamoto (Writer), Takawo Yoshioka (Screenwriter)
Director:
Cast: English Vocal Cast), Kira Vincent-Davis (Lucy/Nyu (voice)), Adam Conlon (Kohta (voice)), Nancy Novotny (Yuka (voice)), Jay Hickman (Kurama (voice)), Jason Douglas (Bandoh (voice)), Shelley Calene-Black (Shirakawa (voice)), Monica Rial (Kanae (voice)), George Manley (SAT Captain (voice)), Tiffany Grant (Kisaragi (voice)), Chris Ayres (Sharpshooter (voice)), Xero Reynolds (Man (voice)), Kelly Manison (Secretary (voice)), Christine Auten (Child Kohta (voice)), Marty Fleck (Narrator (voice)), Christine Auten (Additional Voice (voice)), Kelly Manison (Additional Voice (voice)), Brandon Peters (Additional Voice (voice)), Xero Reynolds (Additional Voice (voice)), John Swasey (Additional Voice (voice)), Kira Vincent-Davis (Additional Voice (voice)), Japanese Vocal Cast), Sanae Kobayashi (Nyu/Lucy (voice)), Chihiro Suzuki (Kohta (voice)), Mamiko Noto (Yuka (voice)), Osama Hosoi (Kurama (voice)), Johji Nakata (Bandoh (voice)), Hitomi Nabatame (Shirakawa/Child Kohta (voice)), Maria Yamamoto (Kisaragi/Kanae (voice)), Hajime Iijima (Sniper (voice)), Masakazu Kohara (SAT Captain (voice)), Naoki Kinoshita (Man (voice)), Yuhki Hata (Guard (voice)), Aska Tanii (Secretary (voice))

An anime series with a German title. Even the episode titles are in German. The first few minutes of the first episode are one of the most bloody scenes I ever saw in an animated series.
In my opinion this series is a must-see for any anime fan.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2011, 07:35:12 PM »
     Everybody Hates Chris: Season One (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:446 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Inspired by his childhood experiences, comedian Chris Rock narrates the hilarious, touching story of a teenager growing up as the eldest of three children in Brooklyn, New York during the early 1980s. Uprooted to a new neighborhood and bused into a predominantly Italian middle school two hours away by his strict, hard-working parents, Chris (Tyler James Williams) struggles to keep his everyday trials and traumas in check as he thinks, talks or runs his way through one growing experience after another, both at home and at school. This debut volume of 'Everybody Hates Chris' on DVD contains all 22 Season One episodes of this acclaimed comedy series.

Everybody Hates Chris
1.01 Everybody Hates the Pilot

This is the first time I ever saw an episode of this series, even though I have had the first season for some years now. I had bought it on a blind buy. The episode was okay, but I won't be hurrying to watch the rest.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2011, 08:09:58 PM »
     Everybody Loves Raymond: Season One (1996/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

HBO Home Video (United States)
Length:506 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.33, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
Standup comedian Ray Romano stars as Ray Barone, a successful sportswriter and devoted husband to Debra (Patricia Heaton, Beethoven) who must deal with his brother and parents, who happen to live across the street. Frank (Peter Boyle, While You Were Sleeping) and Marie(Doris Roberts, Remington Steele) love to meddle in his life, while older brother Robert (Brad Garrett, Suicide Kings) sometimes resents his success. Nevertheless, Ray manages to keep a bight outlook and a sense of humor as he balances his family and work lives.

Everybody Loves Raymond
1.01 Pilot
Writer: Philip Rosenthal (Writer)
Director: Michael Lembeck
Cast: Ray Romano (Ray), Patricia Heaton (Debra), Brad Garrett (Robert), Madylin Sweeten (Ally), Doris Roberts (Marie), Peter Boyle (Frank), Stephen Lee (Leo), Amber Ferreira (Matthew & Gregory), Drew Ferreira (Matthew & Gregory), Justin Ferreira (Matthew & Gregory)

This is a series, where I usually enjoy an episode when I watch it, but I never rush out to watch them. I still have the last three seasons in my unwatched pile.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2011, 08:45:43 PM »
     Extras: Series One (2006/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Length:174 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French, Spanish

Plot:
Meet Andy Millman, Actor. Never forgets his lines because he never gets any.

Andy (Ricky Gervais) is a desperate man. He's been an actor for five years but thanks to his useless agent (Stephen Merchant), he's never done any real acting. Instead, he's a lowly film extra, making his mark in the background while the stars do their work. His partner in arms is the pitiable Maggie, a fellow extra and a hopeless romantic.

Andy may be an extra, but he's a star in his own right.

Too bad nobody else agrees.

Extras
1.01 Kate Winslet (2005-08-04)
Writer: Ricky Gervais (Writer), Stephen Merchant (Writer)
Director: Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant
Cast: Ricky Gervais (Andy Millman), Ashley Jensen (Maggie Jacobs), Stephen Merchant (Agent), Charlotte Palmer (Suzanne), Francesca Martinez (Francesca), Kate Winslet (Herself), John Kirk (Mike), Kevin Moore (Father), Lucinda Raikes (Lisa), Pamela Lyne (Old Lady), Paul Pariser (Spark)

This episode predicted Kate Winslet's Oscar win in a Holocaust movie. The great thing about this series is, that famous actors appear as a parody of themselves.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2011, 08:46:39 PM »
This finishes my E's.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
     Familie Heinz Becker: Staffel 1 (1992/Germany)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(Germany)
Length:161 min.
Audio:German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:

Familie Heinz Becker
1.01 Der Dia-Abend
Writer: Gerd Dudenhöffer (Writer)
Director: Martin Kliemann
Cast: Gerd Dudenhöffer (Heinz Becker), Marianne Riedel (Hilde Becker), Gregor Weber (Stefan Becker), Drafi Deutscher), Angelika Kaufmann), Ingrid Braun), Alice Hoffmann), Rüdiger Weigang), Bernd Stenger)

A really funny German TV comedy series. Though the first season is rather weak. They hit their stride with the second season. One of the reasons for this was the cast change of the wife of the family. The actress playing the wife in seasons 2-4 is my favorite in the part. Funnily she is also in the first episode as another character, which has some similarities with how she played the wife later on.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2011, 11:24:53 PM »
     Family Guy: Season One (1999/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (United Kingdom)
Length:315 min.

Plot:
Meet the Griffins and find out what in the name of Quonoohontaug, Rhode Island is going on in their heads!

Peter Griffin is a big, lovable oaf who always says what's on his mind (even if it's at the wrong time and in the wrong place!) Domiciled in Rhode Island with wife Lois and three kids - Chris, Meg and Stewie - Peter would do anything for them, just as long as it didn't get in the way of his favourite TV shows... Lois Griffin is a modern housewife and (before she fell for Peter) a Rhode Island heiress. She gave up all hope of the Pewterschmidt millions when she fell in love with the good 'ol boy she's been with ever since. Lois is complex, but as yet, she's been unable to work out why baby Stewie, always seems as though he's about to kill her...

Sweet sixteen-year-old Meg Griffin leads a difficult life. Constantly trying to gain acceptance among the "in" crowd (or any crowd for that matter), she just can't help being a drama queen. Like most girls of her age, Meg is highly embarrassed by her father. But then again, most girls don't have Peter Griffin as their dad! Meet Chris Griffin. Overgrown, sweet-hearted, at the difficult age of 13 - Chris wouldn't hurt a fly ... unless it landed on his favourite hotdog! Still, Chris does have some hidden talents, especially his ability to draw. These days, he wastes too much time with Dad in front of the tube, looking at boobs!

Stewie Griffin is a one-year-old baby with a single goal: total world domination. He has the voice and manner of an evil Rex Harrison and were it not for his lack of muscle tone, toilet training and need for parentally-provided sustenance, Stewie would already have gained control over most of mankind! finally Brian Griffin is more than just the family dog. He is a gentleman, a scholar, and undeniably the most balanced member of the family. But the sarcastic barbs that Brian doles out can be as dry as a martini (and Brian has had more than a few of those in his time!).

Family Guy
1.01 Death Has A Shadow
Writer: Seth MacFarlane (Writer)
Director: Peter Shin
Cast: Seth MacFarlane (Peter Griffin / Stewie Griffin / Brian (voice)), Seth MacFarlane (Glen Quagmire / Tom Tucker / Additional (voice)), Alex Borstein (Lois Griffin / Loretta / Tricia Takanawa (voice)), Alex Borstein (Barbara Pewterschmidt / Additional (voice)), Seth Green (Chris Griffin (voice)), Lori Alan (Diane Simmons (voice)), Butch Hartman (Various (voice)), Phil LaMarr (Judge (voice)), Joey Slotnick (Dick Clark (voice)), Fred Tatasciore (Various (voice)), Wally Wingert (Various (voice)), Billy West (Various (voice)), Carlos Alazraqui (Mr. Weed (voice)), Lacey Chabert (Meg Griffin (voice, uncredited)), Pat Summerall (Himself (voice, uncredited))

Family Guy is a show I enjoyed from the beginning. Although I didn't seem to get around watching the new episodes the last few years. The first episode was okay. Not one of the better ones. I remember that Stewie was the one who won me over the first time I saw the first episode.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »
     Family Matters: Season One (1989/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (United States)
Length:484 min.
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, French

Plot:
"HI, EVERYBODY!" Fans of '90s sitcoms know these words mean Steve Urkel has come to call, bringing lots of geeky, goofy fun with him. A spinoff of Perfect Strangers, Family Matters began as the at-home adventures of elevator operator Harriette Winslow and her multigenerational family. But midway through the first season, Jaleel White made a one-shot appearance as neighborhood nerd Urkel. With oversized glasses, undersized body, screechy voice and indomitable self-confidence, Urkel proved irresistibly funny, turning White into an overnight sensation and a new star of the show. Join Urkel and the Winslows for the 22-episode debut season of the hit series that proclaims love matters, laughing matters, Family Matters!

Family Matters
1.01 The Mama Who Came to Dinner
Writer: William Bickley (Created By), Michael Warren (Created By), William Bickley (Writer), Michael Warren (Writer)
Director: Joel Zwick
Cast: Reginald VelJohnson (Carl Winslow), JoMarie Payton-France (Harriette Winslow), Rosetta LeNoire (Estelle "Mother" Winslow), Darius McCrary (Eddie Winslow), Kellie Shanygne Williams (Laura Winslow), Valerie Jones (Judy Winslow), Joseph Julius Wright (Richie Crawford), Telma Hopkins (Rachel)

This series was a spin-off from another series that I have never seen (I am not sure if it even aired in Germany). Steve Urkel was not yet part of the cast at this point but only came in later during the first season (initially only a on-off character). I don't think this series would have lasted long if it hadn't been for Steve and would probably have been long forgotten by now.

Rating: