Author Topic: The Movies From Within My Lifetime  (Read 99196 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: The Movies From Within My Lifetime
« Reply #210 on: April 24, 2011, 02:37:02 AM »
12 is nowhere near as good as the first one..I enjoyed it overall, but definitely hot as good.  13 is much more like the first and much more entertaining.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
I didn't like the sequel either, Jimmy. Shocked you liked the first one! The general consensus is that Ocean's Eleven is fantastic, Ocean's 12 is dreadful and Ocean's 13 is somewhat like the first and remembers how to be good. Well, that's the consensus outside of this forum. I seem to remember Eric liking 12 best and a bunch of weirdos agreeing with him!  :tease:

One weirdo reporting in.  8)
Matthias

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »

Title: Eight Legged Freaks
Year: 2002
Director: Ellory Elkayem
Rating: PG-13
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
David Arquette
Kari Wuhrer
Scott Terra
Scarlett Johansson
Doug E. Doug
Rick Overton

Plot:
What do you get when you cross toxic waste with a bunch of exotic spiders? Eaten!

The townies of Prosperity, Arizona, will all become a screaming smorgasbord if mutated arachnids as big as SUVs have their way in this comedy/horror crowd-pleaser whose creators include the producers of "Independence Day" and "Godzilla." Spiders that leap like gazelles, web-spitting spiders, spiders that suck your insides out as if through a straw – they're among the behemoths conjured up by an inventive effects team. David Arquette heads the two-legged stars, mobilizing the citizenry in a last-ditch fight to survive. Here's hoping they succeed. Otherwise Prosperity – maybe the world – may be reduced to one giant, uh, website!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
Short Film "Larger Than Life", "Creepy Crawly Giants" Essay

My Thoughts:
While I love horror movies... as many already know... I absolutely hate spiders. And let me tell you the giant spiders in this movie all but freak me out. So I spent the most of this movies with the hairs sticking up on the back of my neck. I liked the two leads in this one. David Arquette who I have enjoyed in everything I have seen him in so far... and Kari Wuhrer who I know from when she joined the cast of Sliders in the third season. The movie has a nice mixture of horror and comedy. It has fun... without taking itself too seriously. while at the same time tells a pretty good story.  Worth the time to watch it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 24, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
In this year... Arnold Schwarzenegger sworn in as Governor of California... The WB hit series Charmed, which debuted in 1998, airs its 100th episode... Gary Coleman, former star of Diff'rent Strokes, is one of many candidates for Governor of California in the gubernatorial recall election.

My choices:
Titles in Italic are Movies I Never Seen
- Alucard
- Anger Management
- Bad Boys II
- Big Fish
- Blood Reaper
- Bringing Down the House
- Bruce Almighty
- Bulletproof Monk
- Cabin Fever
- Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
- Cheaper by the Dozen
- Cold Creek Manor
- Cold Mountain
- Confidence
- The Core
- Curse of the Komodo
- Daddy Day Care
- Daredevil
- Darkness Falls
- The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer
- Dogville
- Dracula's Curse
- Dreamcatcher
- The Dreamers
- Duplex
- Elf
- Final Destination 2
- Freaky Friday
- Freddy vs. Jason
- The Ghosts of Edendale
- Goithika
- The Great American Snuff Film
- Collinsville
- The Haunted Mansion
- Hellbound: Book of the Dead
- High Tension
- House of 1000 Corpses
- House of the Dead
- How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- Hulk
- Ichi-1
- Identity
- The Innocent
- Intolerable Cruelty
- Jeepers Creepers 2
- Just Married
- Knight Chills
- Lara Croft: Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life
- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
- Love Actually
- A Man Apart
- The Matrix Reloaded
- The Matrix Revolution
- The Medallion
- A Mighty Wind
- The Missing
- Mona Lisa Smile
- Mystic River
- National Security
- Nutcracker: An American Nightmare
- The Order
- Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
- Radio
- Red Water
- Return to the Batcave: The Misadventures of Adam and Burt
- Revenge of the Rats
- Runaway Jury
- The Rundown
- S.W.A.T.
- Scarecrow
- Scarecrow Slayer
- Scary Movie 3.5
- See Jane Date
- The Shape of Things
- Shark Zone
- The Shunned House
- Something's Gotta Give
- Tales from the Grave
- Terminator 3: Rise of the Machine
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- This Darkness
- Under the Tuscan Sun
- Underworld
- The Vampire Conspiracy
- Vampires: Out for Blood
- View from the Top
- Webs
- Willard
- Wrong Turn
- X2: X-Men United
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 24, 2011, 04:00:45 PM »
I always look to your Unwatched pile to make my choice. Dreamers is one you should watch but it is not appropriate to watch this one with Brit. I really liked this movie - a lot of the background information is based on true events.

Radio is one of my all time favorites - and would be perfect for the two of you. This is another story based on true events. There are some extras on this disc that showcases the actual people the movie is based on. I know how you like extras and this DVD has some that are quite enjoyable.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2011, 05:57:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions Kathy. :) Since I gave myself till the end of 2011 for this movie challenge... I think I will place this on hold till after next month's Birthday Marathon that I have planned. I may still watch one here and there between now and June... but for the most part it will just be on hold.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
With the addition of the titles I got today... I can also add for the year 2003...

- 2 Days
- Blue Collar Comedy Tour: The Movie
- El Chupacabra
- The Drop
- From the Grave
- The Mother
- Old School

None of which I have seen before.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »

Title: Blue Collar Comedy Tour: The Movie
Year: 2003
Director: C. B. Harding
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Jeff Foxworthy
Bill Engvall
Ron White
Larry The Cable Guy
David Alan Grier
Chris Cagle

Plot:
Hilarious stuff here, friends and neighbors. And the laughs aren't just aimed at folks who think Caddyshack is where ma and pa park the car. 'Cause the little secret behind the #1 comedy concert of the past two years is that its topics - marriage, kids, traveling - are so universal. And so wackily warped when seen through the perspective of standout stand-ups Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall, Ron White and Larry the Cable Guy.

This concert movie captures the fellas on stage as well as during off hours. So hunker down and catch each of the comics in a solo bit. Then see them in a kind of 4-man comedy jam. Jeff's "redneck" riffs, Bill's "Here's Your Sign," Ron's bad-boy tales, Larry's bumpkin yarns - they're all here. And all gall-durn funny!

Extras:
Scene Access
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Today I felt like a bit of comedy... and I been wanting to watch this movie since I first found out I was getting it. I am a big fan of most of the comedians on this show. The idea of not only seeing their comedy routines but the behind the scenes footage of them on tour just seemed like a lot of fun to me. And let me tell you I loved every bit of the stand-up in this movie. While some of the behind the scenes isn't what I was expecting. I was expecting something more documentary style. But all this was is them doing skits at public places such as a mall or a spa. Some of which was also funny... but for the most part I found it to be more of a let down then enjoyable. But as I was saying... the stand up concert portions was just hilarious... I was laughing so hard at these fools that tears were coming to my eyes. And by the end of the movie my cheeks were hurting.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2011, 08:41:43 PM »
Now that I am getting well into the 2000's I am not going to list the movies I have for that year anymore... the lists are just getting too big to do it anymore.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 20, 2011, 06:23:50 PM »

Title: Walking Tall
Year: 2004
Director: Kevin Bray
Length: 86 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Spanish

Stars:
The Rock
Johnny Knoxville
Neal McDonough
Kristen Wilson
Ashley Scott
Khleo Thomas

Plot:
When it comes to laying down the law with a vengeance, one man can make a difference. Action superstar The Rock takes no prisoners as he fights for justice and crushes corruption in this hard-hitting adventure that's "endlessly enjoyable and a lot of fun" (Fox-TV)! Johnny Knoxville and Ashley Scott co-star in this "bone-cracking, adrenaline-pumping" (Arizona Daily Star) ride inspired by the true story of a man who decided to take a stand – and take back his town.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one of the many DVDs that was recently given to me. When I found out I was getting it I watched the trailer online. The trailer looked so good that I was anxiously waiting to get the chance to watch it. Unfortunately I never seen the original one to be able to compare the two. So I can't say how well it holds up to the original. But I can say that this is a good action-packed movie. I enjoyed watching it quite a bit. Of course it isn't exactly what you would call a thought-provoking epic.... but when you are in the mood for a good leave your brain at the door action movie you can definitely do worse. After watching this one I would like to get my hands on the original.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 21, 2011, 01:32:32 AM »

Title: Clawed: The Legend of Sasquatch
Year: 2005
Director: Karl Kozak
Rating: R
Length: 83 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.76:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Dylan Purcell
Brandon Henschel
Miles O'Keeffe
Jack Conley
Chelsea Hobbs
Casey Labow

Plot:
According to a tale told for generations in Pine Creek, many years ago a group of hunters were found slaughtered in the woods above the town in a gruesome tragedy that locals have come to call "the Echo Mountain Massacre." Legend has it that a giant grizzly mauled the men in the hunting party beyond recognition. Some in the town believe the legend, and some aren't quite sure that a grizzly, even a big one, could have done what the story says happened.

But it happens again. A band of poachers is found brutally killed much like the old legend had reported. Was it another giant grizzly? Or could it be something more cunning and more powerful than even a great bear? Now, four high school seniors, a park ranger and a pack of revenge-hungry gunmen are going to find out...

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
An entertaining film... but should have been a lot better. For the most part it was pretty slow. Big Foot looked pretty good for a guy in a hair suit. No CGI here for great effects. They kinda went old school for this one. It really needed more action. But not sorry I have it... and could even see myself watching it again at some point. Just nothing here to blow your socks off.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 21, 2011, 03:56:48 PM »

Title: Still Small Voices
Year: 2006
Director: Mario Azzopardi
Rating: NR
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Catherine Bell
Mark Humphrey
Damir Andrei
Deborah Grover
George Buza
Eugene Clark

Plot:
When 911 operator Michael Summer (Catherine Bell, Army Wives) returns to work after suffering a personal tragedy, she receives a mysterious call from a frightened child begging for help. She soon begins having visions of a young girl believed to have been a drowning victim. The visions lead Michael to the town of Starlight, Pennsylvania, where she uncovers the story of a girl who went missing years before. Though the girl was written off as a drowning victim, Michael believes she was kidnapped. Threatening her own health and sanity, Michael launches her own investigation, uncovering a startling secret that shatters everything she knows to be true about herself.

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I felt like watching this movie again and see if it would hold up... even after knowing how it ends. And I must admit... I enjoyed it this time just as much as I did the first time. So I will just repeat here what I said the first time I watched it...

This is a made for TV movie that originally aired on Lifetime. This came up as a recommendation at Amazon when I ordered The Good Witch... and when I watched the TV Spot on Youtube I knew I had to see it as it dealt with the supernatural as Michael (Catherine Bell), the 911 operator got ghostly calls from a little girl. I have been a big fan of Catherine Bell every since I first saw her on the TV series JAG. And I absolutely loved her in this movie. As much as I recently enjoyed her in the movie The Good Witch... I enjoyed her even more in this one. This one had me glued to the TV from the very beginning to the very ending. And without saying much to give it away... I will just say I loved how they ended this one. A thrilling movie from the start.... with a touching ending. I can easily see myself watching this movie again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 21, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »

Title: The Dukes of Hazzard: The Beginning: Unrated
Year: 2007
Director: Robert Berlinger
Rating: Unrated
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Gary Cole
Rufus Dorsey
Jonathan Bennett
Randy Wayne
Joe Gieb
Challen Cates

Plot:
You never forget the first time! Meet teenagers Bo and Luke Duke (Jonathan Bennett and Randy Wayne), high-spirited troublemakers, new to Hazzard County, paroled to the care of the moonshine-making Uncle Jesse (Willie Nelson). Blowhard Boss Hogg (Christopher McDonald) is already fleecing the citizenry to line his pockets but crosses the line when he sets out to steal the Duke farm. As the feudin', fussin', and fast-trackin' fun revs up, cousin Daisy (April Scott) transforms from country girl to Hazzard hottie and a vehicular legend - the General Lee - is born, along with the boys' skills for outrunning Hogg and his deputies. You're at the starting line of the Duke saga. Let the comedy, spills and thrills pile up at lightning-fast speed!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Music Videos
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I grew up watching the TV series The Dukes of Hazzard. The series holds a special place in my heart. When the first movie made from the series came out I was glad I got to watch it before buying it because I felt it was an insult to the series. I especially hated that they didn't have the confederate flag on the roof of the General Lee. Thankfully in this prequel movies they fixed that problem. But the movie still didn't live up to the series. I did enjoy this one better then their first attempt. But more for the General Lee flying around the back woods country then the story itself. I did definitely enjoy April Scott in the role of the always hot Daisy Duke. And I liked watching her start out as a cute but frumpy conservative country bumpkin just out of a religious school and seeing her transform into the very sexy Daisy Duke every fan of the series knows and loves. So this movie does have a certain something about it that I like. But the story should have been a lot better.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 21, 2011, 09:31:59 PM »

Title: Forgetting Sarah Marshall: Unrated
Year: 2008
Director: Nicholas Stoller
Rating: Unrated
Length: 118 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Jason Segel
Kristen Bell
Mila Kunis
Russell Brand
Bill Hader
Liz Cackowski

Plot:
Peter (Jason Segel) is a struggling musician who finds his world turned upside down when his TV celebrity girlfriend, Sarah Marshall (Kristen Bell), dumps him for a tragically hip rock star. It's the hysterically funny look at how far one man will go to forget a girl — and all the fun he finds along the way!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Outtakes/Bloopers

My Thoughts:
This DVD has both the Theatrical and Unrated version. So for this review I went with the longer Unrated version. Let me start out with this.... the fact that Kristen Bell is in this movie is a huge plus for me. I have adored her every since I first discovered her when she played the title role on Veronica Mars. And I did enjoy her in this movie. Though she is somewhat the bad guy here she was good in it. Kristen Bell isn't the only familiar face from TV series here. There is also of course Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother) and then there is Mila Kunis (That '70s Show. Who I also thought did a good job. Overall I enjoyed the movie. Though I must admit it didn't end as strongly as I would have liked. Not that it was terrible.... just not as strong as most the movie.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #224 on: May 21, 2011, 09:40:49 PM »
I don't think either modern Dukes film holds any official affiliation with the series, Pete. I liked the film, but saw it as a very different comedy to the TV version. Still, it was rubbish, despite me enjoying it! From what I've read, this prequel does fit the TV series better, but no-one should watch it thinking it is related. Like the film of Starsky and Hutch, actually.