Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Animated Superhero Movies  (Read 15668 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Animated Superhero Movies
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

Title: Ultimate Avengers: The Movie
Year: 2006
Director: Bob Richardson
Rating: PG-13
Length: 71 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.77:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Trivia

Stars:
Justin Gross
Grey DeLisle
Michael Massee
Marc Worden
Olivia d'Abo
Nan McNamara

Plot:
A world in crisis. Age-old enemies on the verge of attack. A mighty team is recruited, and Earth's ultimate hero is sought to lead them — Captain America. Unfortunately, he's been frozen in ice for over sixty years.

Inspired by Marvel's best-selling books, "The Ultimates," this is the extraordinary story of six very independent heroes who, like it or not, must fight as one to save the world. Little did they know that their biggest threat would emerge from within their very own ranks — The Incredible Hulk!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I got this through Amazon Marketplace very cheap. After watching it I feel like I got a heck of a deal... because I enjoyed every minute of it!  I was never familiar with The Avengers... but always liked both Captain America and Iron Man. But before this movie I never even heard of a few of them (Wasp, Giant Man & Black Widow). I really enjoyed seeing the team get together. I did get a kick out of the line where after seeing Thor, Giant Man asks "Who's the chick with the hammer" and Iron Man adds... "Whoever she is... I'm glad she is on our side"  :laugh:

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
Superman Short:

The Fire Phantom
A living flame from Earth's core appears and sets off a mammoth forest fire.

My Thoughts:
Once again.. while not terrible... I wasn't very impressed here. There is some things I liked about it. Others that not so much. But the end when Jimmy asks Superman what the fire creature was... and he told him the same thing the narrator told us at the beginning of the short.. it was like he was in the tent asleep (camping trip)... how in the world could he know that. Sometimes I miss the acceptance of youth. Some of these are not holding up to my childhood memories. YEt others are making me feel like a kid again when I watch them. :P
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 03:58:32 PM »
So has Superman's Fortress of Solitude shown up yet?  I'm guessing no...these cartoons are so short, they probably didn't have room for such extra things as that...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 04:14:30 PM »
Nope... no sign of anything like the Fortress as of yet.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 05:52:22 PM »

Title: Doctor Strange
Year: 2007
Director: Jay Oliva
Rating: PG-13
Length: 76 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Bryce Johnson
Paul Nakauchi
Kevin Michael Richardson
Michael Yama
Susan Spano
Jonathan Adams

Plot:
Peel back the layers of reality and behold a stunning realm hidden beneath. One of magic and wonder. Of sorcery and enchantment. Of ancient spells, secret doors and remarkable heroes who protect us from evil. Because this is also a world of dark mysticism, malevolent forces and unspeakable horrors. And within the shadows around us, a supernatural war is waged. But the balance is shifting. Darkness is winning. Yet there is hope...

Join us as Dr. Stephen Strange embarks on a wondrous journey to the heights of a Tibetan mountain, where he seeks healing at the feet of the mysterious Ancient One. But before his wounds can mend, Strange must first let go of his painful past and awaken a gift granted to very few. The gift of magic.

Empowered as the new Sorcerer Supreme, Dr. Strange now tests his limits, rising up against monsters that push at the gates, facing the most terrifying entity humankind has ever known.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
Doctor Strange has a different feel then most Marvel animated movies. But it isn't a bad thing... just different. Before this movie I really didn't know much about the character other then seeing him in an episode or two of the Spider-Man cartoons. It is an interesting and entertaining story. I would definitely like to see more on this character. I will say though... this is my third time watching this movie. And I don't feel the re-watch value of this one is up there as much as the previous ones I have watched. I don't want to say I got bored with it... but some of the slower scenes didn't interest me as much this time around as the first time seeing it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 06:20:19 PM »
Superman Short:

The Deadly Dish
Lex Luthor traps Lois, Jimmy, and Perry White so he can lure Superman into range of a Kryptonite Transmitter.

My Thoughts:
Now this one I really enjoyed. It definitely brought me back and lived up to my childhood memories. I guess with him going up against Lex Luthor it was bound to be a good one. I also liked seeing more of Perry White in this one then we normally see in these shorts.
Pete