Author Topic: Unwatched Comedies Marathon  (Read 10663 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Unwatched Comedies Marathon
« on: March 09, 2011, 03:00:11 PM »
Unwatched Comedy Marathon
I have been in the mood for some good comedies lately. I felt reluctant to calling this marathon a Weekend Movie Marathon as usual because... for one I may be starting it much sooner possibly later today. And for another reason... If I don't start it soon... it may go beyond the weekend as I want to fit in a bunch of movies from that huge package I am getting... and that may possibly not get here in time for a weekend marathon so I may have to go beyond the weekend.

What I am doing... as I am sure you figured out... is watching comedy movies from my HUGE unwatched pile. Now... that could mean that I never seen the movie before. Or it could just be that I haven't seen it since getting the movie on DVD.

I am figuring on going fairly loose on the Comedy Genre. I will be adding in Comedy-Horrors, Action-Comedies or what have you... but the comedy should be a pretty big part of the movie.

In between each of the movies I will be watching a stand-up routine from a set I got this past Christmas...

Laughing Out Loud: America's Funniest Comedians

When you want to experience the finest standup comedy, you go to a club. Now you can enjoy the same laughs from the biggest names in comedy in the comfort of your own home.

"Laughing Out Loud" is quality entertainment that will have you rolling in your seat.

Includes:
Carrot Top * Louie Anderson * Diane Ford * Richard Belzer * Cheech Marin * Caroline Rhea * Bobby Collins * Jim Carrey * Richard Lewis * Tim Allen * D. L. Hughley * Jason Alexander * Rhonda Shear * Bruce Bannin * Jeff Altman * John Fox * Norm MacDonald * Paul Rodriguez * Chris Rock * Jeff Foxworthy * Adam Sandler * Janeane Garofalo * The Legendary Wid * Steve McGrew * Daryl Hammond * Ray Romano * Bobby Collins * John Mulrooney * Laura Kightlinger * Tom Arnold * Marty Putz * Dennis Wolfberg * Bob Zaney * Jenny Jones * Drew Carey * Jerry Seinfeld * Brad Garrett * Kelsey Grammer * Adam Sandler * Max Alexander * John Caponera * John Ferrantino * Judy Tenuta * Carol Leifer * Jeff Foxworthy * Rosie O'Donnell

I am considering making this an ongoing thread until I have seen every one of the Stand-Up routines in the above set. Which is also a reason for not making this a Weekend Marathon.

My Unwatched Comedy Collection:
NOTE: For the most part the genre is coming from DVD Profiler's online database. I/we may or may not agree with some of these. If you spot something that don't seem right please let me know so I can decide to remove it or not.

- Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls
- Africa Screams
- American Dreamz
- Bad Boys II
- Big
- The Break-Up
- Bride of Chucky
- Bridget Jones's Diary
- Bridget Jones: Edge of Reason
- Bring It On
- Bringing Down the House
- Broken Flowers
- The Cable Guy
- Coach
- Corky Romano
- Dazed and Confused
- Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo
- The Devil Wears Prada
- Double Take
- Dr. T and the Women
- Elizabethtown
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
- An Everlasting Piece
- Family Man
- Father's Little Dividend
- Feeling Minnesota
- A Fish Called Wanda
- The Flying Deuces
- Haiku Tunnel
- Hot Fuzz
- The Hotel New Hampshire
- How High
- Hunk
- I Love You, Man
- The Inspector General
- Jack and the Beanstalk (Abbott & Costello)
- Jackass Number Two
- Just Married
- Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
- Knockaround Guys
- Knocked Up
- A League of Their Own
- License to Wed
- Love Actually
- The Love God?
- A Mighty Wind
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- My Chauffeur
- My Tutor
- Open Season
- Orange County
- The Over the Hill Gang
- The Over the Hill Gang Rides Again
- The Pom Pom Girls
- Private Buckaroo
- Punch-Drunk Love
- Rat Race
- Reckless + Wild
- The Reluctant Astronaut
- Riding in Cars with Boys
- Robin Hood: Men in Tights
- Rumor Has It
- RV
- The Sandlot
- The Sandlot 2
- Saving Silverman
- Seed of Chucky
- Shallow Hal
- Showtime
- South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut
- Tomboy
- The Toy
- Trial and Error
- The Van
- The Wedding Date
- Weekend Pass
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:19:38 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Unwatched Comedies Marathon
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »
Big, A League of Their Own and My Big Fat Greek Wedding made me smile just seeing them on the list.

Big and Turner & Hooch are a couple of DVDs my niece and nephews ask to watch every time I baby sit. They love them.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 05:53:21 PM »
Of those I never seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding. But I always enjoyed Big and A League of Their Own. :)
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 07:37:20 PM »
You must watch A Fish Called Wanda! It could open a whole new world for you...  :P

Alfie is funny at times, but it's more of a drama. And a hard one at times. I might get to it for my British marathon so keep an eye out.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 08:18:14 PM »
Thanks for the Heads Up... sounds like Alfie is not right for this marathon. Will remove it from the list :)
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:09:12 PM »
The Chucky movies are comedies?  Somehow I never thought of them as such.  I also never thought of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind as a comedy...despite the presence of Jim Carrey.  Of course, I've never seen it so I could be wrong. 

I have a book of movie reviews by Roger Ebert in which he collected all reviews of movies he absolutely hated.  In the introduction he talks about one specific film which inspired the title of the book (and which was a line he used in the review)..."Your movie sucks."  The movie he was talking about is on your list...Deuce Bigalow, Male Gigolo...or was it a sequel he was talking about?  I can't recall right now.  I'm sure both are awful to the bone.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »
Comedy is a funny genre... ;)

What I mean is "funny" as in "peculiar". It doesn't actually have to be funny (ha ha, funny, this time!). But anything ironic, whimsical, irreverent and satirical can fit in the comedy genre in it's broadest terms.

Romantic Comedies are usually more Romantic than Comedy, but they are still distinct from Romantic Dramas because they have a healthy dose of wish-fulfillment fantasy about them.

So absolutely Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And Chucky eases into the same genre as the Evil Deads; horrors that delight somewhat in the horrific acts, and consider being scared as part of the fun, can be considered Comedy at a stretch. It at least distinguishes between stone cold serious stuff like Alien, The Shining, etc.

Alfie is a comedy in a certain perspective, but I highlighted it before because I'm sure Pete is after films with a bloody good laugh!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »
I would love to see your review of the South Park movie. Although I doubt that you will enjoy it very much. It's a great movie, but it is also part of your least favorite genre: Musical.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 09:54:23 PM »
Roger...
The last 2 movies of the Chucky series was much more heavy on Comedy. I have seen them before. I kinda teetered on whether or not to keep them listed... but decided why not. There is enough there for a laugh.

Jon...
Thanks for clearing up Sunshine of the Spotless Mind for me... I never seen it... was going by DVD Profiler.

Tom...
Musical? uh-oh!  :P Actually I noticed that in profiler... but was hoping it was a small portion of the movie. I never watched the series... so not sure if I will like it or not.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:07:32 PM »
Musical? uh-oh!  :P Actually I noticed that in profiler... but was hoping it was a small portion of the movie.

It's about as much as a decent Disney movie (maybe a little more). Actually it pays homage a lot to Disney movie musicals. The first song for example is very reminiscent of the first song in "Beauty and the Beast" (Stan walking through the town similar to Belle). "Up There" sung by Satan in South Park is very much like "Part of Your World" in "The Little Mermaid".

I never watched the series... so not sure if I will like it or not.
The movie was made early in the series' run. At that point it was a real highlight and it still holds up. The series itself is not a musical though.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 02:49:24 AM »
I agree with Jon..you must watch A Fish Called Wanda.

and Hot Fuzz

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 05:47:45 AM »
The Van is a fun one Pete, unless it's not the one I think of :hmmmm:

Just to be sure the one I think of is with Stuart Goetz, Deborah White, Danny DeVito and Connie Hoffman.

theatrical poster
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 05:49:49 AM by Jimmy »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 12:32:06 PM »
Yup that is the one... though the only Connie I have listed is Connie Lisa Marie as Sally is that an alternate name? It is a part of a boxset I made manual profiles for... made by scratch going by the credits... so I wouldn't know if it was. As I am not familiar with the name anyway. :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 01:28:44 PM »
This is an alias she had used only two times, once in this film and the other time for her two apparition in Starsky and Hutch. Of course it isn't always evident since she used 4 different names (Connie Lisa Marie two times, Connie Hoffman two times, Constance Marie once, and Connie Marie Hoffman once). But since most of the name are variation of her complete one, I choose the easiest one who is Connie Hoffman.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »
Thanks for the info :)
Pete