Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011  (Read 111786 times)

KinkyCyborg

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2011
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2011, 02:50:58 AM »
Spanish Judges

Title:Spanish Judges
Year: 2000
Director: Oz Scott
Rating: R
Length: 99 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Vincent D'Onofrio
Matthew Lillard
Valeria Golino
Mark Boone Junior
Tamara Mello

Plot:
Mayhem breaks loose when Jack (Matthew Lillard), a ruthless con man, talks his way into a scam involving Max (Vincent D'Onofrio) and Jamie (Valeria Golino), two professional thieves specializing in stolen antiques. But when the deal goes down in a hail of bullets, Jack begins playing mind-games, determined to pit the two lovers against each other. As loyalties disintegrate and trust is pushed over the edge, Jack's real purpose - to get his hands on the Spanish Judges, a pair of antique dueling pistols worth millions of dollars - becomes clear. But they are hidden somewhere in Max and Jamie's apartment, and only one person will walk out alive.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

Another awful, retarded movie with Matthew Lillard, Vincent D'Onofrio and Valerie Golina. The only thing notable was D'Onofrio's apparent attempt to relive his glory days in Full Metal Jacket as his character greatly resembles Pyle from FMJ with both equally having more than a few screws loose.

Pass on this one.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2011, 02:55:39 AM »
Gilligan's Island : The Complete First Season

Title:Gilligan's Island: The Complete First Season
Year: 1964
Director: 1. Two on a RaftJohn Rich, 2. Home Sweet HutRichard Donner, 3. Voodoo Something to MeJohn Rich, 4. Goodnight Sweet SkipperIda Lupino, 5. Wrongway FeldmanIda Lupino, 6. President GilliganRichard Donner, 7. The Sound of QuackingThomas Montgomery, 8. Goodbye IslandJohn Rich, 9. The Big Gold StrikeStanley Z. Cherry, 10. Waiting for WatubiJack Arnold, 11. Angel on the IslandJack Arnold, 12. Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta TalkRod Amateau, 13. Three Million Dollars More or LessThomas Montgomery, 14. Water Water EverywhereStanley Z. Cherry, 15. So Sorry, My Island NowAlan Crosland, Jr., 16. Plant You Now, Dig You LaterLawrence Dobkin, 17. Little Island, Big GunAbner Biberman, 18. X Marks the SpotJack Arnold, 19. Gilligan Meets Jungle BoyLawrence Dobkin, 20. St. Gilligan and the DragonRichard Donner, 21. Big Man on a Little StickTony Leader, 22. Diamonds Are an Ape's Best FriendJack Arnold, 23. How to Be a HeroTony Leader, 24. The Return of Wrongway FeldmanGene Nelson, 25. The MatchmakerTony Leader, 26. Music Hath CharmsJack Arnold, 27. New Neighbor SamThomas Montgomery, 28. They're Off and RunningJack Arnold, 29. Three to Get ReadyJack Arnold, 30. Forget Me NotJack Arnold, 31. Diogenes, Won't You Please Go Home?Christian Nyby, 32. Physical FatnessGary Nelson, 33. It's MagicJack Arnold, 34. Goodbye Old PaintJack Arnold, 35. My Fair GilliganTony Leader, 36. A Nose by Any Other NameHal Cooper
Rating: NR
Length: 916 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
1. Two on a RaftBob Denver
Alan Hale, Jr. [Alan Hale]
Jim Backus
Natalie Schafer

Plot:
A three-hour tour? No way! Not when you have all 36 Season-One episodes of Gilligan's Island plus a cargo of DVD extras that include the originally unaired pilot.

The S.S. Minnow first sailed into living rooms on September 26, 1964, and from there steered into legend. Certainly much credit for the show's three-year run and amazing afterlife goes to the remarkable cast whose characters managed to endure life on the island while never losing their comic timing. Bravo to Bob Denver, Alan Hale, Jim Backus, Natalie Schaefer, Tina Louise, Russel Johnson and Dawn Wells. It's a joy to be stranded with them time and again – here on Gilligan's Isle.

EPISODES:
[1] Two on a Raft
[2] Home Sweet Hut
[3] Voodoo Something to Me
[4] Goodnight Sweet Skipper
[5] Wrongway Feldman
[6] President Gilligan
[7] The Sound of Quacking
[8] Goodbye Island
[9] The Big Gold Strike
[10] Waiting for Watubi
[11] Angel on the Island
[12] Birds Gotta Fly, Fish Gotta Talk
[13] Three Million Dollars More or Less
[14] Water Water Everywhere
[15] So Sorry, My Island Now
[16] Plant You Now, Dig You Later
[17] Little Island, Big Gun
[18] X Marks the Spot
[19] Gilligan Meets Jungle Boy
[20] St. Gilligan and the Dragon
[21] Big Man on a Little Stick
[22] Diamonds Are an Ape's Best Friend
[23] How To Be a Hero
[24] The Return of Wrongway Feldman
[25] The Matchmaker
[26] Music Hath Charms
[27] New Neighbor Sam
[28] They're Off and Running
[29] Three to Get Ready
[30] Forget Me Not
[31] Diogenes, Won't You Please Go Home?
[32] Physical Fatness
[33] It's Magic
[34] Goodbye Old Paint
[35] My Fair Gilligan
[36] A Nose by Any Other Name

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Production Notes
Closed Captioned
Unaired Pilot Episode, Trivia, Survival Guide

My Thoughts:

Decided to watch some of TV's golden oldies and where better to start than with everyone's 7 favorite stranded castaways.

Gilligan's Island reruns were a staple in my house growing up and it didn't seem to matter what time it was or whatever else you were doing when it came on, you sat down and watched it. The silly humor has held up well over the years and you can't help but laugh at some of the antics even though you know what's coming in most cases.

Some interesting things about Season 1... it is comprised entirely of Black & White episodes which does change to color somewhere later in it's run, Season 2 I am guessing. The first season's theme song does not mention The Professor or Mary Anne, instead singing '...and the rest...'. I learned that the song was changed at the insistence of Bob Denver (Gilligan) who threatened to leave the show if all cast members didn't get equal recognition. Good for him!

A few favorite episodes from Season 1... the one where they encounter the Japanese soldier who doesn't know the war was over was a riot! The Jungle Boy episode was interesting because the young boy was played by none other than Kurt Russell!!

I can't say that I have a favorite character from Gilligan's Island. I have always admired Alan Hale Jr. (Skipper) and have been actively seeking out some of his early and few movie roles. I was never stuck on Mrs. Howell who is terribly one dimensional and Ginger (Tina Louise) I find annoying with her constant preening and posturing. I know it is supposed to be characterization but they went overboard with her. And while I like Russell Johnson as The Professor I find it preposterous that this pre-Maguyver genius can make a nuclear reactor out of a couple of coconuts if he wanted to but can't build a lousy raft...  ::)

Fun stuff... season 2 is out and ready to go!

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2011, 02:25:02 AM »
Wasted

Title:Wasted
Year: 2006
Director:
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:

Plot:
Eddie Kaye Thomas '(Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay)', Kip Pardue '(The Wizard of Gore, Thirteen)' and Josh Cooke (TV's 'Big Day' and 'Committed)' star as twenty-something pals circa 1996 who revisit their small-town roots to attend the funeral of their high school friend Bender. The guys spend a wild weekend reminiscing over football, booze and babes while struggling with one buddy's self-destructive lifestyle, another's seemingly perfect life and the other's humiliating insecurities. Hilariously funny yet genuinely thought-provoking, 'Wasted' is a 90's alt-rock reminder that sometimes the hardest part of growin up is having to let go.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery

My Thoughts:

Very good movie about small town life as three friends reunite and reminisce while attending the service and funeral of another good friend who died in an accident. There are no thrilling sub-plots or startling revelations in Wasted. Just a raw look at the every day lives of every day people which I found very compelling.

Kip Pardue and Danny Kaye Thomas headline a group of young actors & actresses who comprise the notables. Thomas' character, with his insecurities & vulnerabilities embodies the theme of teenage/20something angst.

If you get the chance, give this underrated gem a look.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #198 on: October 24, 2011, 03:18:59 AM »
Across The Tracks

Title:Across the Tracks
Year: 1991
Director: Sandy Tung
Length: 96 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Rick Schroder (1970)
Brad Pitt
Carrie Snodgress
David Anthony Marshall
Thomas Mikal Ford

Plot:
A fast-paced and emotional story of sibling rivalry where a family learns that life is about making choices...and standing by them.

Billy (Rick Schroder) has just returned home from reform school after being implicated in a car theft. His mother is overjoyed that he's home but Billy is now an outsider - especially to his brother Joe (Brad Pitt), a track star in school. When Billy can't find an outlet for his energies, he decides to try out for the track team at a rival high school. Meanwhile Billy's friend Louis tries to lure him into his old ways hoping to involve him in illegal business.

The conflict between the brothers ultimately brings them together as they learn each other's ways and come to respect what they find.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers

My Thoughts:

Early film for Pitt which sees him and Ricky Schroder playing estranged brothers who try to rebuild their relationship after Schroder's character comes back from reform school. Their bond quickly grows with track & field being the common interest that brings them together.

This was pretty good for what I was sure must be a made for TV movie until about a half hour in when the profanity started. This was a no budget, moral of the story type flick that gave it a network television kind of feel but upon looking at the IMDB jacket on the film it appears that this was what must be one of the earlier straight-to-video movies... circa 1995.

Regardless, I liked it and I thought Schroder's performance was pretty good in spite of all the praise and hype given to Pitt on the dvd artwork. Carrie Snodgrass plays the mother, probably best known for her role as the miner widow in Pale Rider. I've never cared for this actress as she always plays these holier-than-thou, goody two shoes type characters and comes off as arrogant every time. Even her last name bugs me... Snodgrass. If ever there was a case to take on a stage name this is it.  :-\

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #199 on: November 06, 2011, 02:05:47 AM »
Before The Devil Knows You're Dead

Title:Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
Year: 2007
Director: Sidney Lumet
Length: 117 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Ethan Hawke
Albert Finney
Marisa Tomei
Aleksa Palladino

Plot:
Master filmmaker Sidney Lumet (The Verdict, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico) scores big with this absorbing suspense thriller. Oscar®-winner* Philip Seymour Hoffman is Andy, an overextended payroll executive who lures his younger brother, Hank (Ethan Hawke), into a larcenous scheme: the pair will rob a suburban mom-and-pop jewelry store that appears to be the quintessential easy target. The problem is, the store owners are Andy and Hank's real mom and pop, and when the seemingly perfect crime goes awry, the damage sends them hurtling toward a shattering climax.

*Best Actor: Capote, 2005

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

This has been a brutally busy and hectic week for me and I've literally gone 8 or 9 days without watching a movie which is unheard of for me but I finally took some time for myself and watched a movie this evening.

Interesting Lumet film about desperate brothers who decide to rob their own parents jewelery store to make some quick cash. What seems foolproof quickly falls apart as they scramble to cover their tracks.

I generally don't care for films that hop back and forth through a time line of events but Lumet makes it work here, often repeating entire scenes from different camera angles which amazingly gives varying vantage points to the unfolding events. While it was easy to telegraph that it was going to end badly for those involved it was still riveting to watch how it would happen.

Great cast with Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke as the brothers who are obviously cut from different cloths. While both major screw-ups in their own right, one is slick and calculating whose confidence is his downfall and the other stupid and naive, blindly trusting his sibling. The delicious Marisa Tomei plays the wife to one and lover to the other brother... she showed me a knockout bod!  ;) Albert Finney plays the brothers father whose grief leads him down a dark and unexpected path. Michael Shannon was good also in a brief role as a heavy.

As things start to spin out of control each event proves more shocking than the last. I think Lumet was an underrated master of his craft in telling stories of the human condition. I definitely recommend this one.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #200 on: November 15, 2011, 04:27:16 AM »
Vice

Title:Vice
Year: 2008
Director: Raul Inglis
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: :
Subtitles:

Stars:

Plot:
KILL BILL stars Michael Madsen and Daryl Hannah reunite for this gritty crime thriller. Along with Mykelti Williamson (FORREST GUMP), the pair plays cops who are involved in a drug bust gone wrong. After they discover a large quantity of heroin--which then goes missing--the detectives involved begin dying off, and it appears that there may be a traitor in their midst. VICE marks the directorial debut of screenwriter Raul Inglis.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:

Straight to video flick starring Michael Madsen and Darryl Hannah, both of whom must be praying that Tarantino or any other director of note gives them a call. It's really sad to see how so many A-List stars from not that long ago are now nothing more than STV or reality TV fodder.  :-\

This wasn't half bad considering the low expectations I went into watching it with. Story about a unit of Vice cops, some dirty, trying to find out who swiped a bunch of drugs from a bust while they gradually get rubbed out one by one. I guessed correctly very early on who the elusive figure was and while the story was nothing original I thought it held up pretty good.

Madsen, who is obviously now a firm believer in quantity over quality, seems to crop up in 1 out of every 4 STV movies and in fact I heard that he has signed on for no less than 28 films for 2011, apparently desperate for cash as he fights money troubles with the IRS. Here's to hoping that someone notable will view him as a reclamation project and give him another chance as happened for the likes of Mickey Rourke & Robert Downy Jr.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #201 on: November 15, 2011, 04:31:31 AM »
Gran Torino

Title:Gran Torino
Director: Clint Eastwood
Length: 116 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Clint Eastwood
Christopher Carley
Bee Vang
Ahney Her
Brian Haley

Plot:
Korean War vet and retired autoworker Walt Kowalski doesn't much like how his life or his neighborhood has turned out. He especially doesn't like the people next door, Hmong immigrants from Southeast Asia. But events force Walt to defend those neighbors against a local gang that feeds on violence and fear. For the first time since Million Dollar Baby, Clint Eastwood works on both sides of the camera, winning the National Board of Review Award as Best Actor for his bone-deep playing of Kowalski, burnished with experience, grace and gravitas into a "prime vintage Eastwood performance" (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone).

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

My pick last night and I chose Clint's most recent acting effort, Gran Torino, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Even at his advanced aged Clint still has it... a complete ability to capture an audience that when looking closely at it, has really little to do based on his reputation. He took a character, Walt, who is a crotchety old bastard, mean and bigoted but tough as nails and made it believable as he didn't exceed the limits of what an old man could do. Masterful!

What I found remarkable was how I found myself laughing out loud to many parts of this film, more so than any recent comedy I have watched. Mostly at his colorful ethnic jabs to any and all cultures and then later to his gradual acceptance of his Asian neighbors as he soon discovers the benefits of these kind people who mysteriously take a liking to him. While an underlying message of overcoming prejudices of all sorts is to be found I thought there was a good even balance of humor and drama to be had. Again, I knew how this would end thanks to various loudmouths but really I would have seen it coming anyway as old Walt knew his time on earth was fleeting, making his sacrifice poetic, somewhat satisfying and touching.

And oh! How could I not mention that gorgeous car! What a beaut!  :thumbup:

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2011, 03:44:24 AM »
Unleashed

Title:Danny the Dog
Year: 2005
Director: Louis Leterrier
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Jet Li
Morgan Freeman (1937)
Bob Hoskins
Kerry Condon
Vincent Regan

Plot:
Raisedito beia mindless killer,ia man escapes his masterito liveia normal life. But when his master returns, he must returnito his violent ways if he wantsito stay free.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Music Videos

My Thoughts:

Great action with a decent story to go with it. The fight sequences are outstanding! While Li is known more for his martial arts prowess I thought his acting was above average in this one, more from his body language and facial expressions as his Danny character has limited dialogue at first.

Seemed like an odd combination with Jet Li, Morgan Freeman and Bob Hoskins as three vastly different types of actors you'll likely never find but each performed well in their respective comfort zones. Hoskins in particular was superior as a vicious gangster with colorful vernacular. Always been a big fan of his.

This is a can't miss for action fans.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2011, 05:35:53 PM »
Off Limits

Title:Off Limits
Year: 1988
Director: Christopher Crowe
Length: 102 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles:

Stars:
Willem Dafoe
Gregory Hines
Fred Ward
Amanda Pays
Kay Tong Lim

Plot:
Saigon, 1968: Someone – possible a high-ranking American officer – is brutally murdering Vietnamese prostitutes with children by American fathers, and plainclothes military cops Sgt. Buck McGriff (Academy Award® Nominee – 1987 Best Actor in a Supporting Role – 'Willem Dafoe', PLATOON) and Sgt. Albaby Perkins (Tony Nominee 'Gregory Hines', COTTON CLUB) are put on the case that no one wants solved. But things are never what they seem in the 'Nam, including a novice nun ('Amanda Pays'), a deranged Colonel ('Scott Glenn') and a twisted trail of clues that takes McGriff and Perkins from back alleys to battlefields in search of a serial killer who's ready to make them the next victims. Fighting incredible odds, placed in impossible situations, can they solve the case before they lose their sanity or their lives?

'Fred Ward, Keith David' and 'David Alan Grier' co-star in this explosive action thriller that the 'The Washington Post' calls "LETHAL WEAPON in Vietnam," where everyone is a suspect, anything can be covered up and no crime or place is ever OFF LIMITS.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Tale of a serial killer on the loose in Singapore during the Vietnam War. Prostitutes with G.I. children keep turning up dead and military investigators played by Willem Dafoe & Gregory Hines must track down the killer.

Great movie with an excellent cast! I enjoy thrillers and to give it a military twist is a welcome bonus! Dafoe & Hines play well off each other with Hines at his wild cannon best. Fred Ward and Amanda Pays are also good in supporting roles. David Alan Grier, never a favorite of mine, was bearable in a short but pedestrian role. Look for Scott Glenn in a brief, but memorable appearance as a crazed Colonel which some may view as an off kilter tribute to Apocalypse Now, the classic in which he also had a brief role. His final words and acts here in Off Limits were shocking and riveting.

I guessed early on who the killer was without really knowing why... just seemed to fit.

I had never seen this movie before but I'm quite pleased I have managed to add this out of print beauty to my collection!  :thumbup:

KC

Rating:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2011, 08:07:21 PM »
Kevin if you like this one Shout Factory! release a new tranfert of it in june. there is a commentary with the director and Willem Dafoe. The price is nice and Gordon's War is the second feature included.

Amazon Canada link

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
That's cool. i didn't know it had been re-released. I may have to upgrade to that one as I don't have Gordon's War in my collection yet. Thanks for the heads up Jimmy!

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2011, 02:52:17 AM »
House M.D. Season Two

Title:House M.D.: Season Two
Year: 2005
Director: 1. AcceptanceDaniel Attias [Dan Attias], 2. AutopsyDeran Sarafian, 3. Humpty DumptyDaniel Attias [Dan Attias], 4. TB or Not TBPeter O'Fallon, 5. Daddy's BoyGreg Yaitanes, 6. SpinFred Gerber, 7. HuntingGloria Muzio, 8. The MistakeDavid Semel, 9. DeceptionDeran Sarafian, 10. Failure to CommunicateJace Alexander, 11. Need to KnowDavid Semel, 12. DistractionsDaniel Attias [Dan Attias], 13. Skin DeepJim Hayman, 14. Sex KillsDavid Semel, 15. CluelessDeran Sarafian, 16. SafeFelix Alcala, 17. All InFred Gerber, 18. Sleeping Dogs LieGreg Yaitanes, 19. House vs. GodJohn F. Showalter, 20. Euphoria (Part 1)Deran Sarafian, 21. Euphoria (Part 2)Deran Sarafian, 22. ForeverDaniel Sackheim, 23. Who's Your Daddy?Martha Mitchell, 24. No ReasonDavid Shore
Rating: NR
Length: 1050 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
1. AcceptanceHugh Laurie
Lisa Edelstein
Omar Epps
Robert Sean Leonard

Plot:
Golden Globe® winner Hugh Laurie is on call as sardonic Dr. Gregory House in Season Two of the smash-hit House, television's most intelligent and provocative drama. This 6-disc collection features all 24 innovative episodes, exclusive bonus materials and some of today's brightest guest stars, including Sela Ward, Ron Livingston, LL Cool J and Cynthia Nixon. Be a part of this medical mystery-solving team as House and his staff take on baffling cases in the gripping show critics are calling "both hilarious and heartbreaking; this could be network TV's best current series." — David Kronke, Los Angeles Daily News.

EPISODES:
1. Acceptance
2. Autopsy
3. Humpty Dumpty
4. TB or Not TB
5. Daddy's Boy
6. Spin
7. Hunting
8. The Mistake
9. Deception
10. Failure to Communicate
11. Need to Know
12. Distractions
13. Skin Deep
14. Sex Kills
15. Clueless
16. Safe
17. All In
18. Sleeping Dogs Lie
19. House vs. God
20. Euphoria (Part 1)
21. Euphoria (Part 2)
22. Forever
23. Who's Your Daddy?
24. No Reason

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Alternate Takes: The Valley Girl Version

My Thoughts:

Breezed through season 2 of House and are still firmly hooked even if each episode seems to follow a similar pattern. I think the major fascination comes from waiting to see what rude but witty comment that will come out of House's mouth next.

We saw out first two part episode which involved one of his team members brushing close with death which I predicted early to my wife was bound to happen eventually. The early seeds of a relationship between House and Cuddy are planted about mid season which I saw from commercials for Season 7 of House which eludes to a full blown romance between the two.

The season finale was an odd episode in which House gets shot by one of his many disgruntled former patients and it was hard to determine how much was real or hallucinations and I'm just hoping the first episode of Season 3 sheds some light on it.

I currently own the first 5 seasons of House and predict we will be through them all in no time.  :thumbup:

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2011, 10:07:13 PM »
Escape To Witch Mountain

Title:Escape to Witch Mountain
Year: 1975
Director: John Hough
Rating: G
Length: 97 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.75:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Eddie Albert
Ray Milland
Donald Pleasence
Kim Richards
Ike Eisenmann

Plot:
A vehicle floats in midair ... a coat rack comes to life and attacks a sheriff ... and wild animals are putty in the hands of Tony and Tia Malone in Disney's thrilling fantasy adventure about the psychic powers of two young orphans.

Their clairvoyance prompts evil millionaire Aristotle Bolt (Ray Milland) to lure them to his mansion to exploit their powers. While escaping, they meet a friendly camper (Eddie Albert) and begin to unravel the mystery of their origin. Soon, all three are fleeing townspeople who have branded the children witches. But then IT happens! Someone with even greater powers takes over and leads the children -- and the audience -- into a dazzling and unexpected experience ... one that is truly out of this world!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned
THX
Cartoon "Pluto's Dream House"

My Thoughts:

Mid 70's Disney tale about two siblings with magical powers being chased by greedy tyrants (Ray Milland and Donald Pleasence) who would like to exploit their powers. A gruff old man (Eddie Albert) picks up the young kids and brings them to Witch Mountain, the place of their origin.

Severely dated and corny but still fun. My daughter watched it with me and was quite excited through some of the chase scenes. The always unflappable Donald Pleasence seemed quite miscast as one of the henchmen hunting down the kids and I attribute that to them just wanting to attach a name to this film.

Interesting to note that the two young kids who played the brother and sister, Ike Eisenmann and Kim Richards both had small roles in the Race To With Mountain remake of 2009!

A simple but refreshing look at an action/adventure movie of yesteryear.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #208 on: December 31, 2011, 06:39:46 AM »
Masters Of The Universe

Title:Masters of the Universe
Year: 1987
Director: Gary Goddard
Rating: PG
Length: 105 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo

Stars:
Dolph Lundgren
Frank Langella (1938)
Meg Foster
Billy Barty
Courteney Cox

Plot:
Planet Eternia and the Castle of Greyskull are under threat from the evil Skeletor, who wants to take over the planet. A group of Freedom Fighters led by the heroic He-Man are accidentally transported to Earth by a mysterious Cosmic Key which holds the power to make Skeletor all-powerful. Once on Earth, He-Man joins alliances with two teenagers as they attempt to find the key and return home.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned
Character Profiles

My Thoughts:

Big screen adaptation of the old He-man cartoon I used to watch occasionally after school as a kid. While most of the central characters were re-created for this it was mostly a laughable, cornball movie.  ::)

Dolph Lundgren makes for a good likeness of He-Man although his thickly accented dialogue was rather atrocious. Man At Arms, Teela, Evil-Lyn (played by Meg Foster with her freakish eyes!) and Skeletor (Frank Langella) all make an appearance. The only one missing was the green tiger that used to follow Man At Arms around... can't remember his name. Langella as Skeletor was surprising as I wouldn't think he'd lower himself to be included in the likes of a film like this. A very young Courtney Cox is in this too.

For die hard fans of the old cartoon series only...for which I'm not.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #209 on: December 31, 2011, 04:47:33 PM »
Stop-Loss

Title:Stop-Loss
Director: Kimberly Peirce
Length: 111 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles:

Stars:
Ryan Phillippe
Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Rob Brown
Channing Tatum
Victor Rasuk

Plot:
Ryan Phillippe leads an all-star cast in Stop-Loss, the inspirational film about family, friends, loyalty and camaraderie. After completing his tour of duty, Brandon King (Phillippe) faces an unexpected new challenge that will put him at odds with former soldiers and test the bonds with old friends. Featuring rising stars Channing Tatum, Abbie Cornish and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Stop-Loss is the must own DVD that critics are hailing as "a generation-defining film." (Carrie Rickey, Philadelphia Inquirer)

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Decent drama about U.S. soldiers who after their tours in Iraq are up they are forced back into action by fine print in their service agreements. Those who refuse to go back go on the run, living as fugitives, often leaving their country to start over in another.

This has been newsworthy over the years during the Iraqi conflict with some making international headlines. We still have some of these soldiers up here in Canada, some of which who have had to fight extradition orders. Apparently this 'stop-loss' practice is employed quite often, with over 81,000 men and women soldiers affected according to the factoid at the end of the movie.

Ryan Phillipe and Channing Tatum give great performances as good ol' boy best friends from Texas who enlist and survive their tours in Iraq. Upon their return home Phillipe's character gets stop-lossed and goes on the run. Joseph Gordon-Levitt was also very good as a third soldier and friend who battles demons that keep him from going back which is what he wants as it becomes the only life that makes sense to him anymore.

More of a statement than a movie really but entertaining none the less. There is about 15 minutes of great gun play in the early going for war fans such as myself. The rest of the film unfolds at a slow pace but still keeps the viewer interested. I was a bit disappointed with the ending which is one of those head scratchers that leaves you asking what was the point of the rest of the film if this is how it's to end?!  :shrug:

KC

Rating:   and a half.