Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 20361 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2011, 03:27:08 AM »
Some people have blamed that 3 month break for V on the ratings not being that good.  And the fact that it took so long for the second season to start.

Most shows don't have long breaks in the middle of the seasons.  A few FOX shows had 6 weeks breaks to make room for American Idol a few years ago.  This year, shows got moved to other days or times.  I haven't liked it when there have been these breaks in the seasons.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2011, 06:21:43 AM »
Now the big question is
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:26:02 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
Well, I wasn't quite expecting that. Stupid really, there was a huge stonking clue for anyone paying attention! Excellent episode that could be described as brilliantly written nonsense; I have a feeling Matthias will not appreciate the multiple enemy races the Doctor brings together, threatening as it does to be like the finale of the last season, but it was very well done. River's poem I thought was very poignant and the stabs at humour were great, especially the Stevie Wonder joke. The opening scene was gloriously silly but really sets the mood.

I've said before that I think Steven Moffat runs the risk of losing focus on who the Doctor actually is. It's ironic that his plots rely so much on the characters history as a legendary figure amongst all these alien races, but actually he himself is living off the older stories because he's never tackled, say, a Dalek plan properly. He just has Matt Smith grin and say, "you know who I am" or some derivative and they run away. That's got to run out of steam.

For now though, in tonight's episode I think he brilliantly subverted it. I really liked the idea of the story behind his title, for instance, and the resolution of who River actually is was very satisfying. Like I say though, really should have spotted that! :slaphead:

Oh yes. Alaya from Hungry Earth turns up as a lesbian Samurai sword wielding Victorian crime-fighter, complete with sidekick who doubles as maid and possibly lover. Really. Bear in mind Alaya is a lizard and for all intents, an alien. This set-up is quite frankly a work of genius, more typical of 2000ad than Who, and it's crying out for a spin-off!  :hysterical:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2011, 12:59:30 PM »
Stupid really, there was a huge stonking clue for anyone paying attention!

Could you point that out?

I really thought the ending was wow. At first I thought
(click to show/hide)
but this was great as well.

I always knew that one mustn't underestimate The Doctor. He ended the Time War after all.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2011, 01:38:20 PM »
Could you point that out?

Exactly what was revealed:
(click to show/hide)

I was happy to be stupid though. The reveal was fantastic...
(click to show/hide)

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
It's ironic that his plots rely so much on the characters history as a legendary figure amongst all these alien races, but actually he himself is living off the older stories because he's never tackled, say, a Dalek plan properly.

The thing is, I really like it that way. Those epic battles and proper Dalek plans are fine as background noise and they do inform my view of the Doctor, but I'm happy to only occasionally hear about it - please don't bother me with the details of some pedestrian world domination plot by Daleks or Cybermen. Take for example the Sontarian in this episode: Even if I hadn't seen the S4 episodes with the Sontarians, I would have gotten the general idea about them from this episode. That S4 two-parter was pretty boring, using one of them here as mirror for Rory was interesting.

(click to show/hide)

Speculations:
(click to show/hide)
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2011, 07:23:44 PM »
The thing is, I really like it that way. Those epic battles and proper Dalek plans are fine as background noise and they do inform my view of the Doctor, but I'm happy to only occasionally hear about it - please don't bother me with the details of some pedestrian world domination plot by Daleks or Cybermen. Take for example the Sontarian in this episode: Even if I hadn't seen the S4 episodes with the Sontarians, I would have gotten the general idea about them from this episode. That S4 two-parter was pretty boring, using one of them here as mirror for Rory was interesting.

Well, that's a fair point, especially as the 'Nurse' was extremely funny in this way. "You will be healthy and live a long life until we meet on the field of battle and I will destroy you!"... paraphrasing, but still :hysterical:

The core problem for me is the longer you don't show the Daleks/Cybermen/etc trying, they lose their power to scare. There hasn't been much this season in the way of hide-behind-the-sofa moments, like a Cyberman clonking his way up a street, sucking the brains out of anyone he passes. There was a time when the BBC needed to only use one word to advertise Who, a word that would send a chill up the spine of many a fan.

"EXTERMINATE!!!"

That basic, primal thrill is currently missing in action.

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 06, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »
Did you see this report Dr. Who Leak?
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #158 on: June 06, 2011, 09:19:06 PM »
I'm all caught up with Doctor Who now...at least with the episodes that have aired on BBC America.  I think I'm still a week behind what has aired in England though.  There wasn't an episode last week.  I watched the 2 episodes with the Gangers today. 

They were interesting...especially how the second one ended.  Holy crap..I wasn't expecting that. 
(click to show/hide)

Now I'm impatient for the next episode....must not click the spoilers above...   :laugh:
The promo thing said the next episode is the last one before the summer break...grumble grumble.  I don't want a summer break, I want more episodes.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2011, 08:46:53 AM »
I don't want a summer break, I want more episodes.

Well, there will be Torchwood: Miracle Day soon. Not quite the same, but the premise sounds interesting. And I have to admit that Davies did rather well with Children of the Earth, so I'm definitely curious.
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2011, 07:57:57 PM »
Except  don't get the station that is going to air the new Torchwood here. 

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2011, 01:32:07 AM »
Ah, sorry. I assumed it would be on BBC America as well. But not only is it on Starz, it even is a "Starz Original Series", putting it in the questionable company of Spartacus, Camelot and the likes. How did that happen?
Matthias

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2011, 04:44:47 AM »
I don't know.  I did read about the move a few month ago..after I got hooked on Who and Torchwood.  I also read that the new one is going to be set in Los Angeles.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #163 on: June 12, 2011, 07:51:36 AM »
I've now watched the last episode ...A Good Man Goes to War.

Holy shit. 

I so did not see that coming.  I'm still trying to wrap my brain around it...and what it means for previous episodes.  Now I really want season 5 so I can watch a few certain ones again. 

(click to show/hide)

I loved how the Doctor started giggling like an idiot when he figured it out.

After seeing this episode, I'm really irked about the break in the season..I want a new episode again next week.  And I want some ..clarification on a few things.

(click to show/hide)

I'm also wondering about a few other things too....
(click to show/hide)

That's all for now..I'm still trying to figure some other things out. 

But the episode was really good.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
The new episodes started last night on BBC America.  I watched the new episode, plus there were some specials about the series on, talking about the companions and monsters that I watched too. 

I really enjoyed the episode.  It does answer some questions...and raise new ones.  There are connections to things that have been established in previous episodes.  I think the story is progressing well..and opening up all kinds of interesting possibilities.

So I really enjoyed the episode..and I'm glad the Doctor is back with more episodes.   :yahoo: :yahoo:

Have the new episodes started in England again yet?