Author Topic: The Tourist  (Read 2630 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
The Tourist
« on: January 04, 2011, 03:47:50 AM »
The Tourist

I went to see The Tourist recently.  I was interested in seeing it after seeing the trailers.  I did really enjoy the movie, though it is a little different from what I expected.

The plot is interesting, dealing with a tourist, Frank, who gets pulled into an odd and dangerous situation because of Elise, a beautiful, mysterious woman.  There is a bit of action and some minor violence.  Things do get off to a slightly slower start, but the pace does pick up.  I have read that some people think the movie is too slow, but I didn't feel that way.  A few complications do pop up and I think there is enough going on to keep things interesting and entertaining.  There is a little bit of humor in a few scenes, but I don't think the movie is a comedy.  There are a few surprises to what happens that work well.

The characters are interesting and I do like Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie in their parts.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie and think it is worth checking out.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

The Tourist

Halo2

Re: The Tourist
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:41:55 AM »
I also sawThe Tourist thisweekend. I enjoyed the movie and don't think it was too slow. It is not a fast paced action movie. It is a nicely paced drama with a surprise ending that is lightly hinted at through the story.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:51:47 AM »
Exactly.
I think once again, the trailers ended up hurting a movie because they were a bit misleading.  They showed all kinds of action stuff, and it was promoted like a thriller, but it wasn't.  It was a drama with a few thriller elements. 
I thought the ending worked well.

Najemikon

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 11:02:40 PM »
I saw the trailers for The Tourist and really wanted to see it, because it felt like a Hitchcock thriller in the vein of North By Northwest or To Catch A Thief. Depp's character of a man out of his depth, the notion of mistaken identity, and the romance angle all fed into that. Unfortunately your twos are literally the only good reviews I've seen and it put me off! Now at least I'll catch it on DVD.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »
There are a few of those thriller elements in the movie.  I think it was fun and entertaining.  It is more lighthearted than many Hitchcock thrillers...though he did add humor in his stuff too.  Just don't expect the movie to be as strong as North by Northwest.