Author Topic: Megamind  (Read 7637 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Megamind
« on: January 02, 2011, 08:20:52 AM »
Megamind

It took me a little longer than I had wanted originally, but I managed to see Megamind in the theater. 

The plot, while having some elements that are very much like Superman, is interesting and entertaining.  Things are a bit different since Megamind becomes a villain instead of a hero, but some similarities are there.  That might disappoint some people, but it doesn't really bother me.  It would have been nice if the plot had been a little stronger, but it is still very much worth seeing.  There is a good amount of humor to what happens, usually tied to some plan of Megamind's that has gone wrong in some odd or bizarre way.

The animation is done very well.  Dreamworks has definitely improved, though there wasn't anything dazzling about the animation.  I did end up seeing it in 3D, mostly because of when it was playing.  The 3D was alright, though nothing that special.  I don't think the movie would lose anything if it isn't seen in 3D.  The movie does have a good soundtrack, though it is a bit odd to hear Highway to Hell in an animated movie.  I do like the characters overall and the voices work well for them.

Certain things about Megamind could be a little stronger, but the movie is really well done overall and worth watching.

I did get a review posted on Epinions.

Megamind

Critter

Re: Megamind
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 08:40:04 AM »
I tend to be disappointed with almost every single Dreamworks film these days, so I have been hesitant about seeing this one. I did quite enjoy Kung Fu Panda and How To Train Your Dragon. Do you think this one is as good as either of those two or is this more up to the usual Dreamworks (underwhelming) standard?

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 08:44:50 AM »
No wonder, you're watching all the bad ones. If you want to see a good Dreamworks film, watch American Beauty. It's not exactly for the kids, but a brilliant movie.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »
I know what you mean about Dreamworks animated movies Sophie.  I've never liked them as well as Disney or Pixar, though I have been entertained by them.

I do think they have been getting better in the last few years...though I think they are still rushing out the movies.  They had 3 big new ones this year.  Quality is still a bit of an issue there I think.

Megamind is one of their better ones I think.  Not quite as good as How to Train Your Dragon or Kung Fu Panda, but a lot better than most of what they've done.

Critter

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »
No wonder, you're watching all the bad ones. If you want to see a good Dreamworks film, watch American Beauty. It's not exactly for the kids, but a brilliant movie.
:laugh:

I'm only talking about Dreamworks animated films. More specifically Dreamworks computer animated films, not everything from the entire production company. And I have seen American Beauty.

I know what you mean about Dreamworks animated movies Sophie.  I've never liked them as well as Disney or Pixar, though I have been entertained by them.

I do think they have been getting better in the last few years...though I think they are still rushing out the movies.  They had 3 big new ones this year.  Quality is still a bit of an issue there I think.

Megamind is one of their better ones I think.  Not quite as good as How to Train Your Dragon or Kung Fu Panda, but a lot better than most of what they've done.

They do seem to rush them out don't they, 3 in one year is huge! Dreamworks are capable of making good films, they have proved that now but I think they just need to spend more time on each one, and stop making so many damn sequels for all of them! I heard there are already 4 or 5 films planned for both Kung Fu Panda and How to train your Dragon which will most likely ruin both of them, much like they did with the Shrek franchise. At least when Pixar do sequels they know how to do them properly, eg TS2 and 3. They also seem to know when to stop.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:09:22 AM »

They do seem to rush them out don't they, 3 in one year is huge! Dreamworks are capable of making good films, they have proved that now but I think they just need to spend more time on each one, and stop making so many damn sequels for all of them! I heard there are already 4 or 5 films planned for both Kung Fu Panda and How to train your Dragon which will most likely ruin both of them, much like they did with the Shrek franchise. At least when Pixar do sequels they know how to do them properly, eg TS2 and 3. They also seem to know when to stop.

They are still putting quantity above quality. 

I knew there was a Kung Fu Panda sequel coming out...but I didn't know they had that many planned..or any for How to Train Your Dragon.
Sheesh.  They are getting sequel happy.  While I enjoyed Shrek, I never loved it as much as some people.  I do think it is good..but Monster's Inc was the better movie that year.  The 2nd Shrek was decent, though the pop culture references were starting to old.  The third had some decent moments, but it wasn't that great overall.  Too much of the same stuff again.  The last movie, while still repeating some things again, was better than the third movie. 

You are so right.  Pixar does sequels the right way.  When they have a strong story and not just as a way to cash in on popular characters - like what happened with Shrek and probably will happen with Kung Fu Panda.

Critter

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
 :hysterical:

While I don't agree with absolutely everything in this video it's really funny, and a lot of it is quite true. I just stumbled across it on youtube.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
:hysterical:

While I don't agree with absolutely everything in this video it's really funny, and a lot of it is quite true. I just stumbled across it on youtube.

This is 100% accurate. :hysterical:

Critter

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 10:06:12 AM »
My favourite part were the names that Dreamworks came up with for Pixar. Dicksar and Pixtard  :laugh:.

The only thing I didn't agree with was when the Pixar girl said Dreamworks use famous actors to voice "relatively badly animated characters" or something along those lines. Dreamworks films may be about as deep as a puddle but their animation is of high standard. If only they used it to tell a good story once in a while  ;).

Najemikon

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 01:31:44 PM »
Their animation is definitely of a high standard, but it lacks the heart of Pixar films. I frequently find their films quite flat. However in some defence, I do think Shrek slightly edged Monsters, Inc for originality. If you think about it, Monsters followed the buddy movie, alternative reality, heroic journey, etc, template of Toy Story and A Bug's Life. Shrek was very fresh at the time and the sequel exploited that very well (still one of the funniest films I saw at the cinema), it's just Dreamworks have hammered that idea into submission whereas Pixar have grown so much.

I haven't seen either film, but several reviews have pointed out that Megamind is virtually the same idea as Despicable Me. I think it was Film 2010 who said it was as if Megamind is using the ideas they couldn't fit into the other film. Tell me they aren't both Dreamworks!

Critter

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »
Their animation is definitely of a high standard, but it lacks the heart of Pixar films. I frequently find their films quite flat. However in some defence, I do think Shrek slightly edged Monsters, Inc for originality. If you think about it, Monsters followed the buddy movie, alternative reality, heroic journey, etc, template of Toy Story and A Bug's Life. Shrek was very fresh at the time and the sequel exploited that very well (still one of the funniest films I saw at the cinema), it's just Dreamworks have hammered that idea into submission whereas Pixar have grown so much.

I haven't seen either film, but several reviews have pointed out that Megamind is virtually the same idea as Despicable Me. I think it was Film 2010 who said it was as if Megamind is using the ideas they couldn't fit into the other film. Tell me they aren't both Dreamworks!

No, Despicable Me was Universal Pictures, not Dreamworks.

I understand what you are saying about Shrek but to me Monster's Inc still tops it. Shrek is an amazing film but I just hate all of the sequels (the second was okay) but the rest of them so much that it has made me dislike the whole series. Dreamworks just pushed that franchise too far... and they haven't even finished yet! There is a Puss in Boots spin off scheduled for release this year! Also, most people won't notice it but to me Shrek is a film that hasn't aged too well visually. Toy Story was made in 1995 and still looks amazing today. In fact some computer animated studios are releasing films today that aren't up to the visual standard of that 1995 film. Shrek on the other-hand was released in 2001 and while it looked good at the time I do notice how old the animation looks when I watch it today. While the character animation still looks great many smaller details in the background such as grass just appear so bland and lifeless on screen. This isn't a real issue, but in the end Pixar managed to make a better-looking film 5 years prior to Shrek being released, which says a lot when computer animation is a medium that so clearly advances in technical quality with time.

I'm not completely anti-Dreamworks however, I do think they have potential and to me personally both Kung Fu Panda and How to Train Your Dragon just outshine Pixar's Cars... just.  :P

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 12:39:45 AM »
My favourite part were the names that Dreamworks came up with for Pixar. Dicksar and Pixtard  :laugh:.

The only thing I didn't agree with was when the Pixar girl said Dreamworks use famous actors to voice "relatively badly animated characters" or something along those lines. Dreamworks films may be about as deep as a puddle but their animation is of high standard. If only they used it to tell a good story once in a while  ;).

Dreamworks animation isn't always to a high standard.  It hasn't been horrible, but with some movies, it hasn't been as good.  The animation in Madagascar wasn't that great.  And the two main characters in that one grated on my nerves so much.  But I know Dreamworks rushed to get Madagascar in theaters before Disney finished with The Wild...a movie that had a stronger story and better animation.

Shrek is basically a buddy movie too..with Shrek and Donkey.  Yes they don't get along all the time, but it is basically the same thing...and the same as what has been in done in other buddy movies.  And Shrek dealt with a princess being rescued.  Again, it was a slightly different way, but still not really that original. 
I don't mind that Shrek took a different look at some well known fairytales.  What bothered me were all the cheap shots aimed at Disney.  A few wouldn't have bothered me, but it went way overboard.  It wasn't hip and edgy..it was petty.

Critter

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 12:49:27 AM »
I didn't even think about that Marie but you're right, Shrek and Donkey in that film did basically make it a buddy movie. And as for the shots as Disney it's been too long since I've seen the film to even remember them, but it would probably make me mad as well.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 12:52:18 AM »
The shots at Disney bugged me when I first saw the movie. That just got really old, really quick for me.  And I didn't like that so much of the humor was more on the gross side.

Making movies with mostly fart jokes just because kids tend to laugh at that stuff does not make a good movie.

It isn't that I hate Shrek or Dreamworks.  I just don't think there movies are as strong as Pixar's.

Critter

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 12:55:48 AM »
It isn't that I hate Shrek or Dreamworks.  I just don't think there movies are as strong as Pixar's.

I don't think anyone does.  :laugh: Hell, Dreamworks themselves probably don't even think it.