Author Topic: The little known movie review depot  (Read 306390 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: The little known movie review depot
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2008, 08:22:48 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Bonnie's Kids (1973)

Genre: Crime Story
Director: Arthur Marks (Perry Mason – TV series)         
Rating: R
Length: 1h45
Video: Fullscreen
Audio: English
Subtitles: No subtitles

Stars:
Tiffany Bolling (The Candy Snatchers)
Steve Sandor (Hell's Angels '69)
Robin Mattson (Candy Stripe Nurses)
Scott Brady (The China Syndrome)   
Alex Rocco (Wild Riders)

Plot:
Sisters Myra and Ellie have finally had enough of their miserable, dead-end lives. When their step-father Charley (The Bonnie from the title being long dead) tried to rape Myra, Ellie ventilates him with a shotgun, and the pair run off to their wealthy uncle's mansion in El Paso. From that point on, the two undergo a transformation in their personalities, and start to enjoy living their lives on the wild side.

My Thoughts:
Quite often when my friends or relatives see what genre of movie I've in my collection I got those questions : What are those movies? And Why do you like them? Hard questions to answer (like asking to someone why he likes Star Wars), so usually the best way to respond is to show them one movie. And this one is a good example of why I like sixties and seventies movies more than anything else.

This is a good old story of criminal on the run who is more center on the Tiffany Bolling subplot. The script is well done, but a little bit too long : almost 2 hours is very long for a drive-in pictures (many details could have been cut to help the movie pace). But, don't see that as a big critic that's not a real problem for me it's just that some good idea appears but are not really build up.

The acting in this is pretty good. Tiffany Bolling is better in this than in Candy Snatcher (she's exellent in this), Timothy Brown and Alex Rocco are perfect in the role of the 2 bad guys chasing Sandor and Bolling (Rocco was in Goodfather so there some chances that his face look familliar) and for a first real role Mattson is not so bad (she overact sometimes, but not that much).

This is honestly one of the best film made in the seventies, the fact that this features is almost unknown is something that I can't understand when so manny boring one made at the same times are see as classic (no, I will not name any movie. I don't want to offend anybody).

But I've some good news about this one : finally this year it will be release officially on DVD by Dark Sky Films (july is the probable release target, that the last information I've got from the label). It will be release as a part of the Arthur Marks Collection with those others movies : The Centerfold Girls, The Roommates, Linda Lovelace for President and A Woman for All Men.

If you want to see something else while we have to wait the release, I recommand that you watch « The Candy Snatchers » to see how talented Tiffany Bolling was. By the way this a very good crime story too.   

Rating :  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:52:49 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2008, 03:45:45 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Horror of the Blood Monsters (1970)

Genre: Science fiction
Director: Al Adamson (I Spit on Your Corpse!)           
Rating: PG
Length: 1h26
Video: Full Frame
Subtitles: No Subtitles

Stars:
John Carradine (The Howling)
Robert Dix (Forbidden Planet)
Vicki Volante (Brain of Blood)
Joey Benson (Blood of Ghastly Horror)
Jennifer Bishop (Impulse)   

Plot:
One of cult movie director Al Adamson's most popular films, known for its use of weird color effects by "Spectrum-X," stars horror icon John Carradine as scientist Dr. Rynning, who leads a space journey to a distant planet of blood-sucking vampires intent on contaminating Earth. While exploring the planet, the crew becomes entrapped by warring tribes of primitive vampire-like men and, in order to escape bloody death, must battle snake-men, bat-demons, and the other hideous denizens of this evil world!

My Thoughts:
One thing that doesn't work with me is to tell me to don't watch a movie because it is bad. In fact, it does completly the contrary : I will buy it and watch it. This is why I has watch « Robot Monster », « Manos The Hands of Fate », Troll 2, ... So when a member of the DVD maniacs forum wrote that all the Al Adamson movie's are as bad as hell, It make me say that I will have to watch is movies. So this is with this movie that I will loose my Adamson cherry.

This movie is a mix of 2 movies : a Filippino movie (Tagani – 1965) and the actual movie film between 1966 and 1970. Now, I'm sure that you ask yourself why this movie was made this way? The answer is simple (thanks to the Sam Sherman commentary) : the original movie is in black and white and it was impossible to have a B/W movie playing at drive-in theatre. So Al Adamson, because he likes the film, has decided to built a complete different film around Tagani. It was impossible to colour all the movie, so it was set on another planet.

It begins with some vampires attack and the narrator told us that the vampires are in fact aliens from another planet. By the way this is not important, since after the introduction we will never heard again about those vampires.

Al Adamson in vampire make-up 

The movie really start with a spaceship expedition to another planet. The expedition will arrive on the planet and explore it. At this point we will learn that there was a nuclear incident who happens on the planet and that's why all the image are tinted (red, blue, yellow,...). That's how Adamson had incorporated the Tagani footage and I think that it was a really brilliant idea.

As seen on Robot Monster

This is a prehistoric planet and 2 tribes fight each other the Taganis and the Tubatons. The Taganis are human and the Tubatons are bat-man (not Batman, but some kind of vampire humanoids), by the way this is the Filippino movie. So the expedition will encounter a member of the Tagani tribe on the run and implant her brain with some kind of translating device.

Do you find the Tagani lovely?

The story will continue they will encounter crab monsters, Bat-man and caveman untill they will have to quit the planet urgently.

So, how I've found the movie? Quite good to be honest. It makes me think at another sixties sci-fi movie (Women of the Prehistoric Planet), but it's much better. John Carradine does a good job in one of his rare leading role (he had made more than 300 movies, but a lot of them are just small parts). The rest of the cast is so-so, but none of them are really bad. As I've said I like the idea of the tinted colour, really clever and original. This is a small budget movie, so it shows : bad miniature for the spaceship, bizarre editing (they use the same footage when the spaceship arrive and quit the planet), ...

I don't know if all the film of Al Adamson are that good (probably not), but expect a massive addition of his movies in my collection soon. I recommand this one, this is really a good little drive-in sci-fi movie (it is market as an horror movie, but I don't see it as one at all).

Usually I don't comment on the extra on the DVD, but the commentary track by Sam Sherman (the producer of the movie) is one of the best that I've listen. It is very informative about the film and the making of a low budget movie in the seventies.

Rating : ;D

Movie Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj-78jRaWJ4

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2008, 07:02:37 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Lost (2005)

Genre:
Director: Chris Sivertson (I Know Who Killed Me)         
Rating: Unrated
Length: 1h59
Video: Widescreen
Subtitles: CC

Stars:
Marc Senter (Timecop: The Berlin Decision)
Shay Astar (3rd Rock from the Sun – TV series)
Alex Frost (Elephant)
Megan Henning (I Know Who Killed Me)   
Robin Sydney (Masters of Horror - Right to Die)

Plot:
Once upon a time, a boy named Ray Pye put crushed beer cans in his boots to make himself taller. But this is no fairy tale: For suburban sociopath Ray (Marc Senter) and his friends, small-town life is a dead-end road of sex, drugs, liars and losers. And what begins with a sudden act of senseless violence will climax in a mind-blowing frenzy of depravity…with the worst still yet to come. Michael Bowen (Kill Bill), Dee Wallace-Stone (The Hills Have Eyes), Ed Lauter (True Romance), Megan Henning (Seventh Heaven), Katie Cassidy (Black Christmas) and Erin Brown (aka Misty Mundae) co-star in this controversial shocker adapted from the infamous novel by Jack Ketchum and based on the true story that stunned America.

My Thoughts:
It's not often that I decide to buy a recent movie (in fact this one was released this week), but the story seems interesting and I've heard many good things about the book.

I will be pretty short with this review. The story is interesting, but the way is done not. The idea of showing how a killer lost slowly his mind because of the guilt is interesting (but maybe it's not what the director wants to do). Now, I will go with what I don't like in this movie. The actor playing Ray Pye (Marc Senter) is a bad actor : he overact, he have no facial expression and he can't render an emotion (sorry but the end is awfull). The music doesn't help the movie at all, none of the song help the mood they're just there to be there. The use of a song in a movie for me need a reason otherwise why bother. I hate the MTV editing, this is not a proof of talent any talentless director can do that (it's not a surprise to see what is the other directing job of Sivertson). Another thing, why use grainy image if they're no reasons to do it? Just because it's cool. ::)

Just a last thing about the movie resume : I probably don't know what is a co-star in a movie. Dee Wallace is in there less than 2 minutes and everybody could have played her role. Misty Mundae is just there to get naked (not that it's something bad) and get killed, certainly not a staring role for me.

Just another exemple of why American cinema doesn't work anymore. A talentless director who know nothing about how to make a movie, except what he have seen on MTV. Sorry a movie is a movie, not a fucking video clip or a publicity.

If you are not bother as much as me with this way to do a movie it's possible that you could like it, since the story is good. But if you are like me, I don't recommand this one at all.   

Rating :  :yawn:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2008, 03:21:51 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Prince Adam was cursed to a beast form by Enchantress who saw no love in his arrogant heart for others. The one way he could break the spell was to learn to love another and earn her love in return before the last petal from his enchanted rose fell, which would bloom until his twenty-first birthday. But who could ever learn to love a beast? Ten years later, Maurice, an inventor from a nearby village, becomes lost in the woods and seeks shelter in the Beast's castle, the Beast imprisons him for trespassing. His daughter Belle, a bookworm who dreams of life outside her provincial village, finds him trapped in the castle and offers her place in his stead. The Beast accepts with a promise she'll remain in the castle forever. In the beginning Belle views him as nothing more than a monster, he views her as difficult and stubborn. But the two soon taste the bitter-sweetness of finding you can change and learning you were wrong.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 04:32:25 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2008, 04:03:48 AM »
A little question for you.

Do you find my reviews more interesting when I write a recap with pictures and video like I've done with this one?
or
Do you find them better when they are short like I do usually?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2008, 08:07:23 AM »
(click to show/hide)
:hysterical:
You sure had me!

Do you find my reviews more interesting when I write a recap with pictures and video like I've done with this one?
or
Do you find them better when they are short like I do usually?
I liked the recap, especially because you were being ironic and it therefore became fun to read. So, when the film allows I'd like to read more of those; if they'd be all serious it may become loooong.

Najemikon

« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2008, 07:50:17 PM »
You got me too!  :stars: :laugh:

I like your clips and recaps. We know so little about these movies to start with and you present a lot of info concisely.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2008, 08:45:33 PM »
After picking my jaw off the floor I knew you would never have picked this movie to review...especially since it was posted under "The little known movie review depot"!

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 26, 2008, 05:23:19 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Satan's Children (1974)

Genre: Horror
Director: Joe Wiezycki           
Length: 1h24
Video: Fullscreen
Subtitles: No Subtitle

Stars:
Stephen White (Gas! -Or- It Became Necessary to Destroy the World in Order to Save It.)
Eldon Mecham
Joyce Molloy
Kathleen Archer
Robert C. Ray II

Recap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ikYX3r0EYI
Opening credit

Right after the opening we see Bobby (White) mowing the grass while his half-sister relax at the pool. He ends his work and go to his room, but his half-sister follow him, tease him and tell him that his stepfather want to see him. He go and his stepfather doesn't like how he has done is job at all.

Hit me with your best shot

Later everyone ate his supper and like nobody is angry, Bobby's half-sister make some reference not so subtle to her father about Bobby's drug.

Happy together

His father force him to go search it. But Bobby realize that his familly is not so great after all and he left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFjo0mo18uA
If you leave

After some wandering in the night Bobby decide to stop at a bar and he's get noticed  by a costumer (an old man who flirt with him). Not knowing how to react (Bobby isn't really brilliant), but a biker save him and they make the party together.

Dont talk to stranger

They go to the biker home and they share a beer, so all Bobby's problem are over... Not really, since the biker call his three friends (one of them look like Tom Savini, but I don't think it's him) and they all go for a funny car ride. Except for Bobby, since they rape him (don't worry it's not graphic, it's  almost funny). After that they dump him the ditch.

Whatcha do to my body

From there it's better for Bobby. A satanic sect take charge of him and while he recover the satanist does their usual thing : praying Lucifer, make some human sacrifice, ...

Come to the sabbath

Do you really think that all will be going good for Bobby? The real master was gone but now his back and he is not happy. Like he said : Bobby his weak because he was rape, he is an homosexual because of that and the Devil doesn't like these peoples (this is not what I hear usually, but I'm not a satanist).

Somebody's Watching Me

Bobby escape and for 20 minutes we will see him running in the wood only in is underwear.

This is especially for the lady
(click to show/hide)

He will escape and get his revenge on his familly and the rapist. The way he deal with that will make Simon happy and he will became a member of the sect.

Heroes

My Thoughts:
First thing first this movie shout anti-homosexual agenda (the devil don't like them, they are weak, they are victims,...), but for almost half the movie Bobby is in underwear running or just showing off. So colour me confuse, who is the public of this???

The acting is weak to be polite, no one had did something before or after that (except for Stephen White who have made 2 other films). I like this film, he is so bad and awfull that you laugh almost from the beginning to the end.

Because of this movie everytime I think that I've a bad day, I say to myself : It could be worse think at Bobby's day. After I feel better :laugh:

Rating : :D

P.S : All the image title have one thing in common, do you see it?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2008, 08:20:29 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: The Quiet Earth (1985)

Genre: Last man on earth movie
Director: Geoff Murphy (Freejack)         
Length: 1h31
Subtitles: Close Caption

Stars:
Bruno Lawrence (Smash Palace)
Alison Routledge (Rain)
Pete Smith (Once Were Warriors)
Anzac Wallace (UTU)
Norman Fletcher (Goodbye Pork Pie)
Tom Hyde     

Plot:
At exactly 6:12 am, government research scientist Zac Hobson (a powerhouse performance by Bruno Lawrence of SMASH PALACE and UTU) awakens to discover that he may be the last man on earth: homes, highways and entire cities are deserted. Empty planes have fallen from the sky. Every living thing has disappeared. But for Hobson, the ultimate shock is still to come months later when he finds that he is not alone. With the addition of a beautiful young woman (Alison Routledge) and a Maori trucker (Pete Smith), the apocalypse suddenly becomes very personal.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie that I've search a long time. I've seen it when I was much younger on a French Canadian paid cable channel (Maybe Eric and Sebastien know it : Super Ecran) and never seen it anywhere else. It was hard to find it for many reasons : never seen it with the original title (all the movie here are dub and rename  :yucky:), don't remember the name of the cast member and not sure where the movie was made. So I was not well equiped to find it again, but a couple of months ago when I was browsing the old Anchor Bay catalog for something else I've seen something who give me a hint : the cover looks like a scene in the film. So with a title on hand and some research I've finally find it after a long hunting who start years ago. Enough with this little story, but the lesson to learn from this is : never give up with some works you will be reward. Oh my god, I just turn myself as a glurge writer ( :thumbdown:).

This film is a story on what happen after an incident who erase the big majority of the earth population. This is not necessary original (a film on this subject was made in the years 1924), but what make this film special is how the story is told. No mutants or vampires or fighting survivors here (in fact if you want an action film this is not for you), but the story of the few survivors. When I write few believe my word : the 6 names in the cast are the only peoples in the movie and half of them are already dead. The film start with Zac Hobson (Lawrence) getting up in the morning and very fast we will realize that something isn't right (nothing on the radio, no one in the street,...). This is the part where everyone who watch as the same reactions (what I will do if this happen to me? My answer : do everything I've always want to do (I keep those ideas secrets  :devil:). But, it's fun just for a while since we are social animal and we need human contact. The same thing happen with Zac and he start to loose is mind, untill he is found by another survivor (Alison Routledge). The movie continue they find the last survivor (Peter Smith) and for the rest of the film we will follow them.

This movie is great, better that I was remembering (but the difference of ages bring a new way to understand it). We don't have the usual love triangle cliché (no love story at all), the cast is really good (Bruno Lawrence is exellent in the first 30 minutes when he is alone), the musical theme is magnificent, the desolate look is perfect (we really feel the emptiness of the world) and the movie make us think (it's not a bad thing sometimes to do this). Honestly, I can't find anything negative to say about this movie. A very good eighties movie from New Zealand who have won many awards in his country (best film, screenplay, cinematography, director, actor,...).

The region 1 release come in a metal case (a little surprising) and the last think I can say is : put it on wishlist and buy it, you will not regret it one second.

Rating :  ;D
Movie Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdVYfCKXaCM
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:58:41 PM by Jimmy »

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2008, 04:05:53 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Cop Killers (1973)

Genre: Action
Director: Walter R. Cichy           
Length: 1h33
Subtitles: No Subtitles

Stars:
Jason Williams (Flesh Gordon)
Bill Osco (Alice in Wonderland – Producer, the one I've reviewed)
Diane Keller
Michael D. White
Donna Stubbert

Plot:
In front of them, cops. Behind them, dead cops. They are...the COPKILLERS! Two wayward long-haired ne'er-do-wells (Bill Osco and Jason Williams) will do just about anything to score easy money. This includes smuggling large quantities of narcotics across the border. But nothing seems to go according to plan. So they steal a getaway ice cream truck, take hostages, and terrorize innocent bystanders. As the law turns up the heat, the duo soon turn on each other. Can they keep it together long enough to get their money? Or will the cops get their revenge? Either way, they're gonna get what's coming to them.

My Thoughts:
For those who were worried, I've not decided to stop doing reviews. It was just that recently I've watched mostly mainstream movies or movies who doesn't fit really in my topic. So tonight I've decided to watch something that I've bought last month and unwatched till now.

This movie was made by the same team who had made the first adult movie to play at mainstream theatre (Mona) : Bill Osco and Howard Ziehm. I think that I've wrote that already in my « Alice in Wonderland » review, but there nothing wrong in corecting a false conception : Deep Throath is not at all the first adult film who have played at a general theatre. The documentary is wrong, yes the term « Porn Chic » was created from it but that's all. It was a first nothing ...

The title certainly not lie : the 2 drug smugglers killed a lot of policemen and the killing effect are well done. Not a surprise when we know that it was the first movie of Rick Baker (An American Werewolf in London). The story is simple and the writters didn't loose time with 2 or 3 subplots. Bill Osco for a non-actor did a very well job, in fact I think that he is really good. He could have been a good exploitation actor, but he was more interested in producing. On the other side, Jason Williams who was the real actor here overact too much : Yes he is a bad guy, but too much is too much. The rest of the cast goes to ok (most of the cops who don't really act) to pretty awfull (James Nite, the ice cream man). The film was made in the Arizona desert and the scenery is great.

So if you want to watch a bad guys film not well act but with a good story and see the works of Rick Baker at the beginning of his career this film is for you. The important point for me is : the Jason Williams interview and commentary on the disc. 

Rating :   :hmmmm:
Movie Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o568Md9_jFE
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 04:18:52 AM by AESP_pres »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2008, 04:28:40 AM »

:surrender:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »

:surrender:
Forgot this one  :laugh: They are all song titles

Hit me with your best shot - Pat Benatar
Happy together - The Turtles
If you leave - OMD
Dont talk to stranger - Rick Springfield
Whatcha do to my body - Lee Aaron
Come to the sabbath - Mercyful Fate
Somebody's Watching Me - Rockwell
Don't you want me - Human League
Heroes - David Bowie

Not too hard I think, at least the link

Did you enjoy the ladies bonus  ;)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2008, 10:33:34 PM »

Did you enjoy the ladies bonus  ;)

:yawn:

Too tame for my taste! :devil:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2008, 10:18:02 PM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Chantal (2007)

Genre: Drama
Director: Tony Marsiglia (Dr. Jekyll & Mistress Hyde)         
Length: 1h36
Subtitles: No subtitles

Stars:
Erin Brown (Masters of Horror - Sick Girl)
Julian Wells (The Seduction of Misty Mundae)
Andrea Davis (Lust for Dracula)
Darian Caine (The Seduction of Misty Mundae)
Julie Strain (Sorceress)   

Plot:
Chantal (Misty Mundae) has just arrived in Los Angeles, California to become a movie star. Naive and delusional, she wanders the boulevards looking for her first big break. There she meets Tracy (Julian Wells) - an actress-turned-prostitute - and the two of them begin an uneasy intimate relationship. Tracy warns of the harsh realities lurking beyond the glamorous facade of Hollywood, but Chantal’s innocence makes her easy prey for monsters that inhabit the dark underbelly of the film business.

My Thoughts:
When I've mention this movie in the « what you got » topic yesterday, I was joking about the fact that it's an erotic movie and because of this a cheap one. But, as you already know I ask one thing to a movie whatever genre it is : entertain me and give me story that I will care about.

This one as a true story feeling to it, not that it's mention anywhere on the film, but it shows the hidden face of Hollywood. We all know about the actresses or actors who succeed (even if most of the time the success is short), but it's rare that we heard about the majority who fail or never get a chance. Many are attract by Hollywood but very few succeed and for those this is not an happy ending. I'm a man but I know that the majority of the women and men who take the west coast xxx road try and fail Hollywood before. I'm sure that you think that it's a very weird introduction for an erotic movie and you know what? You're right. This movie is professionally made with a real script, good acting and film with real film stock and not with a digital camera. The girls scene (sorry for the woman who read my review, but they're not a single naked man in it) are there to serve the story and not the contrary as usual with the erotic movie. To be honest the erotic scene are not arousing because the sex is not consentual (in the film not for real).

Misty Mundae (now she is known as Erin Brown) give a great performance, she had a very great range as an actress. She try now to do it in the mainstream industry and I really hope that she will succeed and not be typecast or only do horror movie figuration. The others girls are not as talented but Julian Wells and Andrea Davis are not so bad as actress. For the others the less I will say the better it will be. The other big plus that those three girls had, at least for me, is the fact that they are natural looking. What I want to say is that I can see and encounter a woman who looks like this that in reality, they are not artificially beautifull but normal looking women with some imperfections.

I really recommand this movie. The story is good, it's professionally made and, honestly, when was the last time that an erotic movie made you cry? Probably never, but that's give you an idea of how I've care about the fate of Chantal.   

Rating :

Movie Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ilu9Q92Xso