Author Topic: The little known movie review depot  (Read 306417 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: The little known movie review depot
« Reply #420 on: February 17, 2013, 01:49:48 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: War of the Worlds (2005)

Genre: Science-Fiction
Director: Steven Spielberg
Rating: PG-13
Length: 1h56
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English and French
Subtitles: English, French and Spanish

Stars:
Tom Cruise
Dakota Fanning   
Miranda Otto
Justin Chatwin
Tim Robbins

Plot:
A contemporary retelling of H.G. Wells’s classic, the sci-fi thriller reveals the extraordinary battle for the future of humankind through the eyes of one American family. Fleeing from an extraterrestrial army of killer Tripods that annihilate everything in their path, Ray Ferrier (Cruise) races to keep his family safe. War of the Worlds is an action-packed adventure that explodes with spectacular special effects!

My Thoughts:
Another movie to make my thread name sound irrelevent :laugh:

I'll give it one thing: the effects are good... a chance because the balance left a lot to be desired. The acting is so bad that it is hard to remain attentive when nothing explode. Not that I have something against Tom Cruise since I think he is good in this, but everyone else is annoying or a caricature. Some scenes are way too long (the basement one is a perfect exemple of this) or ridiculous (the son who run to fight with the army just because he doesn't like his father).

I will not lie, I prefer the original film story since I think that using a dysfonctional familly unit is kind of dumb. I guess it's an ok film, but too spielbergian for my taste (I'm sure it would have been better with another director).  

Rating :
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:51:43 AM by Jimmy »

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: February 17, 2013, 02:46:07 AM »
I was right with you until you said " ...  Not that I have something against Tom Cruise since I think he is good in this ..."  :stars:

Thank you
David

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: February 17, 2013, 03:05:40 AM »
I don't think he is a bad actor, he is a one trick pony who got his career because of his good look but it's the case for most Hollywood actors anyway.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #423 on: February 17, 2013, 03:59:49 AM »
Cruise isn't my favorite..but I have ended up liking a lot of his movies. 

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #424 on: February 17, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »
he is a one trick pony

It seems that this pony learned a lot of additional tricks then.
Just take a look at "Rock of Ages", "Tropic Thunder" or "Lions for Lambs".

The problem that Cruise has, is that he is easily recognisable and has a certain stereotype role that brings him the money for projects like "Magnolia".
Being a dyslexic, he's doing quite well in this circus.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 17, 2013, 05:54:05 PM »
I like Tom Cruise and just about everything he's done. I appreciate the fact that he does most of his own stunts which is amazing for such a high paid star.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #426 on: February 18, 2013, 02:01:06 AM »
I think he was really good in Rock of Ages.  I think the character was a bit more...complicated than he seemed at first and Cruise was great in the part.  I do admit that I wondered about the casting when I first heard about it, but he pulled it off..including the singing.  He really sounded like one of the lead singers from the 80s heavy metal bands.  He did a Guns and Roses song and even did the Axel Rose wail.  His versions of Wanted Dead or Alive and Pour Some Sugar on Me are great. 

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 18, 2013, 03:34:19 AM »
Tom "I peaked at Legend" Cruise .... oh my  :hysterical:
Thank you
David

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 27, 2013, 09:10:41 AM »
MOVIE / DVD INFO:

Title: Storage 24 (2012)

Genre: Horror
Director: Johannes Roberts
Rating: 15
Length: 1h23
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English and German
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish

Stars:
Noel Clarke
Colin O'Donoghue   
Antonia Campbell-Hughes   
Laura Haddock
Jamie Thomas King

Plot:
A military cargo plane crashes in London, scattering its highly classified contents across the city. Unaware the city is in lockdown, Charlie (Noel Clarke) and Shelley (Antonia Campbell-Hughes), with best friends Mark (Colin O'Donoghue) and Nikki (Laura Haddock), are at Storage 24. dividing up their possessions after a recent break-up.

Suddenly, power to the building dies and they realise, horrified, that something is trapped in the dark maze of endless corridors with them... something deadly. Something alien. In a place designed to keep things in, will they live long enough to find a way out?

My Thoughts:
Everyone know why I got that and to be honest I didn't expect a lot from it. The movie isn't too bad as long as we don't see the creature, because it looks too CGI for my taste and its mouth made me think at something else (choose your pick: I'm a pervert or it's a way too in your face freudian symbol...). But at least the director knew the alien would be silly looking, so it took a while to really see it. So there are a lot of tension building, but... the love backstory get old and boring really fast, common I want to see Storage Wars Alien not "you left me, I don't get over it so I cry" women soap. Also most of the characters are unidimensional, but I can leave with that since I don't expect a Shakespearean drama when I watch an horror movie.

I've seen better but I've seen worst, at least this isn't filled with annoying loud music (thank god it isn't like the trailer made it looked like) and it isn't too long. It's obvious that it was a failure because of a lack of marketing since it's better than some box office success (Chernobyl Diaries I'm looking at you!).

I can't say get it for 20$, because it doesn't worth that, but if you can get it cheap the movie could be a surprise for you.

Rating :
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 09:13:16 AM by Jimmy »