Author Topic: Recommendations Wanted For Blu-ray Player & Titles & HDTV  (Read 13833 times)

Rogmeister

Recommendations Wanted For Blu-ray Player & Titles & HDTV
« on: November 24, 2010, 01:29:44 AM »
I am currently thinking about upgrading to a new TV (HD) and also a Blu-ray player so I'd like some recommendationws.  I don't want a player or TV that are super-expensive.  For a TV, I'm thinking of maybe a Vizio or some similar type of flat-screen...I don't know if I can afford a plasma and I'm not really familiar with that type of set anyway.  I would likely not use a streaming option so I probably wouldn't need that as I only plan to use purchased blu-rays.  I would also like some recommendations on blu-ray discs that look and/or sound particularly good.  I have heard good things about The Dark Knight so I would likely include that among my first-wanted titles but other than that, I have no idea.  My favorite types of movies include westerns, super-hero films, certain action films (like the James Bond films) and comedies.  So go ahead and post your recommendations if you have any.  My sister-in-law has already asked me a couple times what I want for Christmas and I haven't been able to tell her anything as I've had no idea...but if I get some good movie recommendations, I could give her those as suggested gift ideas.

As far as when I get either the TV or Blu-ray player, well you know how they always have big sales on "Black Friday", the day after Thanksgiving here in the states...  :whistle:

Dr. Hasslein

Re: Recommendations Wanted For Blu-ray Player & Titles & HDTV
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 02:22:41 AM »
Get The Searchers on Blu-ray. The picture quality is fantastic.

Critter

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 02:23:55 AM »
As far as TV's go I would look at an LCD or LED rather than Plasma. Plasmas have a sort of soft texture to them while the LE/CDs are much sharper and I think that blu-rays look much more effective on them. As far as blu-ray players go I have a Panasonic and a Playstation 3. The Playstation 3 is the much superior player, and I have read many reviews stating that it is pretty much the best when it comes to blu. I know that PS3's are a lot cheaper in the US than they are in Australia, but this might be out of your budget, I'm not sure.
As far as actual films go that look great in blu-ray I would suggest anything by Pixar or even Dreamworks straight away. While some live-action films do look great in blu, the times when I notice it the most is in computer animated films. Computer animated films just look outstanding in blu-ray, I can hardly even describe how amazing it is. I once watched Kung Fu Panda in blu-ray and felt my brain was about to melt out due to over exposure to such amazing high def. I actually don't have many live-action films on blu-ray yet myself, but one that I thought did look amazing was 'Inglourious Basterds'.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 02:28:10 AM »
That's funny you say that about Plasma TVs. A friend of mine has a full HD Plasma and I swear that DVD look better than Blu-rays for some bizarre reason.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:30:42 AM »
I hear that Toy Story 3 on Blu-ray is mind blowing. One of those titles that defines a format.

Critter

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 03:03:27 AM »
I hear that Toy Story 3 on Blu-ray is mind blowing. One of those titles that defines a format.

I've heard that too... I really can't wait to see it on blu-ray. I saw it three times in the cinema and 3D each time, it was amazing then and we don't even have great cinemas in Geelong.

And yeah, I have a 50" full HD Plasma and blu-rays almost look just like regular DVD's on it. Yet when I play them on my LED TV the result is mind blowing.

Rogmeister

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 03:17:55 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, Doc and Critter.  I asked this on a few of my e-lists and one other guy also suggested I get a PS3.  Since you liked it so much, Critter, I may go ahead and get that...then I can also take part in the PS3 discussions!  I have no other current console (other than a PS2).  And I was definitely leaning towards an LCD though I forgot the name of that type of TV.  Now I'm off to my local Wal-Mart to see what they have.  My friend says Amazon has PS3 for just under $300...which I can afford.

Critter

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 03:21:39 AM »
New PS3's here are close to $500  ::). It is worth it though, as you can see it already has many fans on this forum and we always look forward to more people in the PS3 discussion! I'm glad you are now considering the PS3, it is a decision that you will not regret  :thumbup:

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 03:59:02 AM »
I too would go with a PS3. As a DVD/Blu-ray player it's first class.

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 04:51:33 AM »
Also Roger if you're leaning towered a LCD, I recommend a Sony BRAVIA. I have a 46" Second Gen Motion Flow Full 1080p. It's very smooth and the picture is great and combined with a PS3 it does a great job upscaling standard DVDs

Critter

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 05:33:16 AM »
While we are on a roll recommending TV's I thought I'd add another. Any Samsung LED TV is amazing. They are full HD at 1080p and I have a 32" and my friend just got a 42". They are stunning  TV's.
This is the one I have.

Rogmeister

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 06:03:31 AM »
The PS3's at the store I went to tonight are priced at about $400...so that's about $100 more than my friend said Amazon is charging for them.  So I'll probably order one from Amazon to save the hundred bucks.  Of the TV's I was looking at tonight, one that caught my eye was a Sony Bravia...it was a 40-inch set, I think.  They have Samsungs there, too, but the Sony one had what I thought was a pretty sharp picture.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 06:42:05 AM »
The PS3's at the store I went to tonight are priced at about $400...so that's about $100 more than my friend said Amazon is charging for them.  So I'll probably order one from Amazon to save the hundred bucks.  Of the TV's I was looking at tonight, one that caught my eye was a Sony Bravia...it was a 40-inch set, I think.  They have Samsungs there, too, but the Sony one had what I thought was a pretty sharp picture.
$400 seems a bit high these days? Or was it a bundle with a move controller or at least a game? Then, it might just be an expensive store :hmmmm:

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 06:43:20 AM »
While we are on a roll recommending TV's I thought I'd add another. Any Samsung LED TV is amazing. They are full HD at 1080p and I have a 32" and my friend just got a 42". They are stunning  TV's.
This is the one I have.

I think when it comes to TVs, sound systems, DVD/Blu-ray players etc. Samsung and Sony are the only two brands worth mentioning.

Rogmeister

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »
I didn't really take that close a look but it could've been a special bundle with a game in it or something...and maybe it was a larger hard drive in it.  At any rate, I have now ordered the one from Amazon.  Looking at the TVs at my local store, the one that caught my eye the most was a 40-inch Sony Bravia...