Author Topic: Book > DVD  (Read 7351 times)

Peter von Frosta

Re: Book > DVD
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
The Lord of the Rings novel, to me, is a masterpiece. Boring, maybe the first couple of times I read it, but not anymore. I suppose its like an acquired taste but I can't imagine not reading it at least once a year. As for the movies I love them too. I can only hope that Peter Jackson will direct The Hobbit because I don't want anyone else to finish this series.

Too bad. Pete Jackson will only Produce the two Hobbit films, del Toro will direct them.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 05:27:40 PM »
del Toro knows what he's doing, so I'll have a little faith... Or it turns out like Poltergeist ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 08:11:29 PM »
I think that not only is Del Toro a perfect choice, he is better than Jackson. Tolkein wrote The Hobbit as a whimsical fairy tale, while LotR was an epic mythology. Jackson does epic, Del Toro does fairytale. I can't wait for his take on this.

I think it's an easier book to adapt too. Plenty of room to breathe and Del Toro loves filling in the details. Much as I love Jackson's trilogy, I often felt it was a bit rushed, and quite frankly, the ending of Return was rubbish. We didn't need six of 'em! I wished he'd been braver with the source.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »
Del Toro works for me too!

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 12:26:12 PM »
They'll change the storyline a lot. From what I've read, the first movie will be pretty faithful to the book. The second one however will tie in much more with the Lord of the Rings movies with possible cameos of other characters.