Author Topic: The Social Network  (Read 3063 times)

Critter

The Social Network
« on: November 02, 2010, 07:46:58 AM »
The Social Network

Director: David Fincher

I went into this film not knowing a hell of a lot about it… sure I knew it was basically about the guy who invented Facebook, but as far as the actual story behind it all I knew nothing. That being said I don’t know how much of this film is a fabrication, or if it is indeed the plain and simple truth behind the world’s youngest billionaire. Either way I was left somewhat disgruntled by the a few aspects of this film, in particular by its portrayal of women, but I will get to that soon.

This was not a bad film in any sense of the word and I quite enjoyed it for the most part. I find that some films based around court cases can be quite dull, but this one had my attention from the start and kept it right to the final credits. This film was made well, and for the most part acted extremely well. The editing and use of music was especially good and made a film that is basically about court room drama and computer nerds quite exciting. My biggest complaint however, as I mentioned at the start was how females in general are portrayed in this film. Basically every single girl in this film is seen as a drunken whore. Girls are seen drunk, doing drugs, making out with each other for male entertainment and just in general acting like unintelligent morons while the genius males do all the work around them. Okay, I do say “every single” girl there but that’s a lie, there are two female characters in this film that aren’t complete morons (only two) and both of them don’t even have much screen time, one of which has very few lines.

Indeed the whole film has a somewhat misogynistic feel to it which is unfortunate and lessened the amount I could enjoy it. At the same time though I do somewhat understand why this is the route that the film took as the lead character himself is simply put… a jerk. Okay, he may be some sort of child prodigy with computers and invented one of the world’s newest and most important online tools, but he was never quite presented as a hero. Anti-hero would be a term to proper describe Mark Zuckerburg as many of his traits, including the way he treats women and his friends are highly questionable. With that being said it is understandable why the makers of this film chose to surround him and his fellow nerds with these stereotypical drunken, drugged-up college girls as really no girl with even half a brain would go anywhere near these guys. Even though that may be the case I found the portrayal still got on my nerves and made me suddenly very thankful for characters such as Lisbeth Salander in today’s films.

Rating: 3½/5
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:59:31 AM by Critter »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: The Social Network
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:54:58 AM »
I haven't seen this one, but I've read that a lot of stuff was....well....changed for the movie. 

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:44:13 AM »
Even though that may be the case I found the portrayal still got on my nerves and made me suddenly very thankful for characters such as Lisbeth Salander in today’s films.
You prefer sociophobics with Asperger syndrome to partygoers  :o
Now that's what I'd call sick  :laugh: :tease:

Critter

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:47:31 AM »
 :laugh:

A female computer hacking genious who doesn't take shit from anyone to a bunch of drunk girls snorting coke off each others chests? Yeah, I know which I'd prefer  ;)

Critter

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 12:54:54 AM »
I did a bit of digging around the net and found quite a lot of articles relating to the portrayal of women in this film. It turns out my friend and myself weren't the only ones slightly disgruntled by it.

I thought this article in particular explained things nicely, including the defense of the filmmakers which makes a lot of sense.

Aaron Sorkin defends sexism in Facebook movie
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/movies/aaron-sorkin-defends-sexism-in-facebook-movie-20101013-16jkp.html

snowcat

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:59:33 AM »
I found the film quite uplifting and inspiring.... speaking of inspiring after going to see it the guy I went with rang me up at 3AM to tell me some ridiculous business idea he had... I wont be seeing him again.  ::)

Critter

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:02:53 AM »
I found the film to be inspiring, but in my case certainly not uplifting. I think it's because I just didn't really like any of the main characters. I tell you what though the sound in this film was awesome. The scene in the night club sounded amazing, it actually felt like we were in that night club.