Author Topic: Kick-Ass Blu-Ray  (Read 2860 times)

Critter

Kick-Ass Blu-Ray
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »
So I was really excited when I got Kick-Ass on blu-ray and was eager to watch it, but when I put it on my LED TV it looked awful. I couldn't even finish watching the film because it looked so bad, and it looked nothing like it did when I saw it in the cinema.
The only way I could describe it is that it looks almost over-exposed in every single frame. In any scene with windows, or outdoor scenes the sky looks so bright that I feel I need to wear sunglasses to watch it. I'm practically squinting at the TV. An example is the scene towards the start when they are all in the comic book store booths with a window next to them. The light from that window is so overbearing that it ruins the shot.
The night scenes look alright, and I tried lowering the brightness of the TV but it did nothing.
I haven't had a problem like this with any other blu-ray before, but I'm really disappointed because I bought one of the box-editions with interchangeable covers and it was really expensive.
Any ideas?

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Kick-Ass Blu-Ray
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:02:06 AM »
Sorry to hear that. I don' have my disc yet, so I can' tell. But the reviews at blu-Ray.com and dvdtalk.com were both favourable....

What region/country is your release from? The before-mentioned reviews may not apply.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 04:05:39 AM »
I didn't have any issues with mine.
Hmm...maybe a setting on the tv needs to be adjusted?  I've heard of that needing to be done.

Critter

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 04:50:24 AM »
Sorry to hear that. I don' have my disc yet, so I can' tell. But the reviews at blu-Ray.com and dvdtalk.com were both favourable....

What region/country is your release from? The before-mentioned reviews may not apply.

Region 4. No other blu-ray has done this before on the same TV and player. Including both animation and live-action films. It's really annoying.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:11:23 PM »
Region 4. No other blu-ray has done this before on the same TV and player. Including both animation and live-action films. It's really annoying.
:headscratch: Blu-ray is Region A, B and C ;) So being the Australian release it may have used a different transfer then. Have you searched for reviews of that disc, to see what they say?

My Region A copy just arrived.

EDIT:
Found a User review for the Australian release at Blu-ray.com;. He does say "Blu-Ray picture is a little disappointing, gven this is a brand new movie...".
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 04:17:41 PM by Achim »

Offline dfmorgan

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 04:54:40 PM »
Australia is Region B same as UK and Europe. My UK copy looks fine to me over my PS3 and Sony Bravia KDL 40W3000.

Dave

ETA: The UK BD is released by Universal and therefore is Region Free as they, Paramount and Warner currently don't lock thier discs.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 08:45:21 PM by dfmorgan »
Dave

Life? - Who needs a life when you have anime!

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray Collection
My Library
My CD Collection - sorry I use readerware for that and it doesn't have an online component.

Najemikon

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 01:20:16 AM »
I was impressed with mine. Really "popped", was very clean and consistent. Sharp as a button, especially in the daylight scenes. And the torture scene was sublime.

One thing, Sophie, have you checked any others since? My TV did default to some random settings a few weeks back and caused a horrible effect throughout The Road, with the contrast boosted way too far. I thought that was the disc.

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 10:24:45 AM »
Had a similar problem with "Batman Begins" (DVD) on my 720p TV (retired).

If I remember correctly the problem was caused by the "Dynamic Contrast" of either the player or the TV (not sure now).

Disable all contrast "enhancements" and see what happens then.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:52:33 AM »
One thing, Sophie, have you checked any others since? My TV did default to some random settings a few weeks back and caused a horrible effect throughout The Road, with the contrast boosted way too far. I thought that was the disc.
Good point! My TV has a bunch of presets which can be used based on the purpose of the images, such as Movies or Games. Some of them have rather extreme settings and I am always a little shocked when I switch accidentally.

Critter

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try a few of these things tomorrow and see how I go.