Author Topic: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010  (Read 156136 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Month Long Horror/Halloween Marathon: 2010
« Reply #225 on: October 30, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »
I can't believe I am saying this... but after over 100 movies... and over 50 TV Episodes I am really starting to feel burnt out on horror! I actually can't wait for tomorrow to be over!  :o
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 30, 2010, 05:34:39 PM »
I have a feeling this might be where the "can I beat my previous record?" stops!  :tease:

Why don't you want something else? It might put you in the mood to squeeze in one or two more horror movies.

Of course you could just watch horror movies twelve months a year so you don't get burned out.  :tomato:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 30, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »
I'm just concentrating on Halloween episodes of TV Series for right now... and then will go from there for the rest of today and tomorrow.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 30, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »
Grey's Anatomy: Season Four: Expanded
Enter a world of change in the irresistible and unforgettable fourth season of one of television's most acclaimed dramas.

Love, lies and family ties are revealed as the surgeons of Seattle Grace discover that their choices have major unintended consequences. And coupled with the arrival of some very eager new interns, life at the hospital sizzles with more emotion, excitement and heartbreak than ever before.

Get an extra dose of Grey's Anatomy in this comprehensive 5-disc DVD box set complete with never-before-seen extended episodes and exclusive bonus features that take you inside the world of your favorite doctors. From the very first minute you'll be hooked on TV's most talked-about show.

Episode Watched:
Haunt You Every Day
It's Halloween at Seattle Grace and the day is chock-full of surprises for the doctors. Alex has a surprise visit from a former patient; Meredith thinks her mother's ashes are haunting her; Cristina is snubbed by a top surgeon; and everyone is shocked when Callie reveals George and Izzie's relationship to the public.

My Thoughts:
I don't know why... but I always been a sucker for medical shows. And I loved every minute of this one! The medical stories were great... the personal stories were wonderfully done. It really seemed like the episode flew by as I was glued to the screen the entire time.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 102 I Made It! (10/28)
TV Ep. Count: 54 I Made It! (10/20)
Other Count: 8 I Made It! (10/15)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 30, 2010, 06:48:21 PM »
Tales from the Darkside: The Second Season
Welcome to a world where the strange and the ordinary are brought together to tell wicked stories...with a twist. Welcome to Tales from the Darkside: The Second Season.

Featuring major stars from film and TV, these 24 spine-tingling stories of heart-stopping suspense and killer thrills promise to leave you dead-bolting the door and sleeping with the lights on for many nights to come.

"Until next time, try to enjoy the daylight."

Episode Watched:
HALLOWEEN CANDY
A mean old man learns a hard lesson about tricks and treats when he doesn't play nice on Halloween.

My Thoughts:
I am new to this series... finished off the first season for the first time just earlier this month. I normally like to watch shows I never seen before in order... but where this is more of an anthology series I felt I could make an exception and skip ahead to the second season Halloween episode. This is one I enjoyed quite a bit... I especially liked the unexpected consequences of the ending.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 102 I Made It! (10/28)
TV Ep. Count: 55 I Made It! (10/20)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 31, 2010, 12:07:24 AM »
Title: Summer of Fear (AKA: Stranger in Our House)
Year: 1978
Director: Wes Craven
Rating: PG-13
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Linda Blair
Lee Purcell
Jeremy Slate
Jeff McCracken
Jeff East
Carol Lawrence

Plot:
From famed horror master Wes Craven comes a chilling thriller starring acclaimed actress Linda Blair!

When Rachel's cousin Julia comes to live with the family at the farm, unsettling things begin to occur. Casting an alluring spell over everyone she meets, Julia slowly lures everyone away from Rachel. Terrifying instances of the occult begin to take place, forcing Rachel to fight for survival against what is revealed to be a horrifying demonic presence!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is actually an old TV Movie. Yes I realize there is an MPAA rating above for this movie... but it is one of those rare occasions where a TV Movie put through the MPAA for an official rating at the time of it's DVD release. Another familiar face in this movie is Fran Drescher (The Nanny) who has a small part as Rachel's friend. Surprisingly she don't have that nasally voice in this that she is now so famously known for. Which makes watching her in this a little more bearable. This is actually one of the few movies I have dealing with witchcraft... at least compared to other horror sub-genres. Being a '70s TV movie there is of course no type of gore and most of the bad things that happens occur off screen. But it is a good story with characters you care about. I enjoyed this one quite a bit... I would recommend checking it out.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 103 I Made It! (10/28)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 31, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »
Title: Hell Night
Year: 1981
Director: Tom De Simone
Rating: R
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Linda Blair
Vincent Van Patten
Peter Barton
Kevin Brophy
Jenny Neumann
Suki Goodwin

Plot:
As an initiation rite into Alpha Sigma Rho fraternity, four pledges must spend a night in Garth Manor, twelve years to the day after the previous resident murdered his entire family. Two of the pledges, Marti (Linda Blair, The Exorcist) and Jeff (Peter Barton), ignore the rumors that the now-deserted mansion is haunted by a crazed killer, until one-by-one, members of their group mysteriously disappear. Could this be part of a fraternity prank or is a demented former tenant seeking revenge?

When their seemingly innocent rite of passage turns deadly, these college students will do anything to survive Hell Night.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Production Notes

My Thoughts:
This one I kinda have mixed feelings about. It is good for what it is... but you kinda expect more from it. It is just an average typical '80s slasher film. A bit on the low budget side. Entertaining but not overly so. This is my second inda Blair movie in a row... I always liked her for some reason. She isn't the best actress out there... and she is cute but not great looking. But there is just something there that always appealed to me. She is the only familiar face in this movie. Pretty much everyone else I have no idea who they are. A decent movie to waste a couple hours with... but nothing to get too excited about. I am not sure why they rated this movie R... really nothing in it that is all that bad. Must just be when it was rated. I would think if it was put through for rating today it would get either a PG or a PG-13 at the most.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 104 I Made It! (10/28)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 01:38:45 PM by addicted2dvd »
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 31, 2010, 01:54:49 PM »
Title: Walled In
Year: 2008
Director: Gilles Paquet-Brenner
Rating: R
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Timothy Allen
Mischa Barton
Darla Biccum
Cameron Bright
Eugene Clark
Mark Claxton

Plot:
In 1993, sixteen bodies were found entombed within the Malestrazza Building, a mysterious apartment complex built by one of the world's most renowned, yet eccentric, architects. The killer was never caught. Fifteen years later, newly graduated structural engineer Sam Walczak (Mischa Barton of THE O.C.) arrives to prepare the site for demolition. But this massive concrete crypt is not entirely empty. Its halls are lined with secrets. Its rooms are filled with fear. And behind its walls, the ultimate horror has lay waiting...until now. Cameron Bright (X-MEN: THE LAST STAND), Deborah Kara Unger (SILENT HILL) and Noam Jenkins (SAW IV) co-star in this saga of terror, torment and shocking twists based on the best-selling novel.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This is one I didn't know what to expect from it. Before I bought it in a pile of used DVDs last month I never even heard of it. I watched the trailer first and it looked like it would be a decent movie. And I guess I would say it is a decent movie... but far from a great movie. It starts out as one type of movie... but turns out to be another type... which in of itself is a little disappointing. I did like Mischa Barton in this one. You wouldn't have thought she would have made a convincing demolitions expert but she pulls it off quite well. The rest of the cast felt a bit wooden and forced. Also in my opinion the story needed a bit of polishing bringing it from a best selling book to a movie. It definitely had potential... it just didn't quite pull it off.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 105 I Made It! (10/28)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 31, 2010, 05:04:38 PM »
Supernatural: Season 6
Season six will be a season of mystery and shadow.  Heaven and Hell have been left in complete disarray since the apocalyptic events of season five.  And now, monsters, angels and demons roam across a lawless and chaotic landscape.  And so Dean Winchester, who has retired from hunting and sworn never to return, finds himself being pulled back into his old life – pulled back by none other than Sam Winchester, who has escaped from Hell.  The two reunite to beat back the rising tide of creatures and demon-spawn, but they quickly realize that neither are who they used to be, their relationship isn’t what it used to be, and that nothing is what it seems.

Episode Watched:
You Can't Handle the Truth
Sam and Dean investigate a rash of suicides and discover that someone is invoking the Goddess of Truth to drive the victims crazy.

My Thoughts:
Another good episode this season. I am really getting into the season long storyline. The stand alone episode storyline is good as well. It has an interesting story and just a touch of gore. The dentist chair thing was a bit on the disturbing side. But I must admit I would have done the same thing at the time. Unfortunately after the episode they had a preview of next week's episode... and they actually had a pretty big spoiler in that short preview clip. Not sure what they were thinking on that one.

My Rating
Out of a Possible 5

Count:
Movie Count: 105 I Made It! (10/28)
TV Ep. Count: 56 I Made It! (10/20)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 31, 2010, 06:52:34 PM »
I know it is early yet (only 2pm my time)... but I feel burnt out on horror now... so I am going to call this the end of my marathon.

I think I did right good this year... I beat all my goals and had a wonderful time doing so. But now I need a short break away from horror!  :bag:

So my totals for 2010...

Movie Count: 105
TV Ep. Count: 56
Other Count: 8
Pete

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #235 on: October 31, 2010, 09:20:13 PM »
You're burnt out on horror?  I never thought I'd see that happen. 

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 31, 2010, 09:53:26 PM »
All that means is I need a week or two break from it is all. :P
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 08, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »

As I've rewatch Slumber Party Massacre II again yesterday ;D

At least if you don't want to listen the song again you can just watch the cast.

and it's always my favorite of the three films :thumbup:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:28:40 PM by Jimmy »

samuelrichardscott

« Reply #238 on: December 08, 2011, 02:43:03 PM »
How is the PQ on the Shout! Factory releases Jimmy? I could do with upgrading my crappy Concorde ones.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 08, 2011, 02:55:05 PM »
Excellent new anamorphic widescreen tranfert for the first two, but the last one doesn't look that good (as it was a DTV the transfert is fullscreen). Each movies had an interesting commentary track (the downside is that you will get the edited commentary for the second part as only few lucky one like me were able to get it before it was recalled) and there is also a documentary running a little bit more than one hour about the franchise. Michael Villella, Debra Deliso, Brinke Stevens, Jennifer Rhodes, Heidi Kozak, Scott Westmoreland, Yan Birch, Brandi Burkett (she didn't age at all), Hope Marie Carlton (God she aged well) and the three directors are all in the documentary.

I can post some capture if you want later today...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 02:58:23 PM by Jimmy »