Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 18815 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2010, 01:59:45 AM »
Yeah... I saw a little notation at the end of the movie about that!
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

Title: Speed 2: Cruise Control
Year: 1997
Director: Jan de Bont
Rating: PG-13
Length: 125 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock
Jason Patric
Willem Dafoe
Temuera Morrison
Brian McCardie
Christine Firkins

Plot:
Hold onto your life-jacket as the rip-roaring sequel to Speed hits the high seas. Sandra Bullock reprises her star-making role as Annie Porter, a young woman expecting to enjoy a Caribbean vacation with her boyfriend (Jason Patric) on the world's most luxurious cruise liner. But their trip to paradise turns deadly when a lunatic computer genius (Willem Dafoe) takes over the boat and sets it on a course for destruction. An explosive voyage helmed by daredevil director Jan De Bont (Speed, Twister), Speed 2: Cruise Control rides the wild waves at maximum velocity.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:
While a decent movie... it is a bit of a letdown compared to part one. It is just missing that certain something the first one had. I do not care for the new leading man in this movie. Though Sandra Bullock is as lovely as always. And I definitely had to laugh at her taking the driving test at the beginning of the movie. It was a nice continuation from part one. Over all I am glad I have it in my collection... but I see myself watching part 1 much more then this one.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 10:01:43 PM »

While a decent movie...

Which bit?  :stars:  :tease: I should say, that I love the first one. An absolute modern classic of the action genre.

Worst. Sequel. Ever. The bloody ship heading for the port reminded me of the Austin Powers joke with the steamroller...

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2010, 02:26:41 AM »

Title: Coach Carter: Widescreen Collection
Year: 2005
Director: Thomas Carter
Length: 136 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Samuel L. Jackson
Rob Brown
Robert Ri'chard
Rick Gonzalez
Nana Gbewonyo
Antwon Tanner

Plot:
Based on an incredible true story, Coach Carter is the inspirational account of controversial basketball coach Ken Carter (Academy Award® nominee SAMUEL L. JACKSON*), who received both high praise and staunch criticism when he made national news for a gymnasium "lockout" of his entire undefeated team for poor academic performance.

With the players, the parents, and the community rallying to get the team back on the court, Carter must overcome the obstacles of his environment and show the young men a future that stretches beyond gangs, drugs, prison and even basketball.

Co-starring pop-music icon ASHANTI, "Coach Carter will have you on your feet cheering for more." Earl Dittman, Wireless Magazine

* Actor in a Supporting Role, Pulp Fiction, 1994

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This is one I enjoyed. It has a very good story. And it was a lot of fun watching all the basketball as well. When I first popped this one in I didn't notice the case said it was based on a true story... I didn't realize it until they started to give updates on all the characters at the end of the movie. That makes the movie that much more enjoyable. I thought Samuel L. Jackson was wonderful in the title role. If you haven't seen this one yet... I would recommend checking it out.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2010, 12:19:54 PM »
Which bit?  :stars:  :tease: I should say, that I love the first one. An absolute modern classic of the action genre.

Worst. Sequel. Ever. The bloody ship heading for the port reminded me of the Austin Powers joke with the steamroller...
They exchanged a dropping elevator, a bus that can't slow down below 50 AND a runaway subway train with a cruise ship...? ::) Just how lame is that?

"it is a bit of a letdown compared to part one." is a great understatement to how felt.

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 02:24:42 PM »

Title: Last Chance Harvey
Year: 2008
Director: Joel Hopkins
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Dustin Hoffman
Emma Thompson
Eileen Atkins
Kathy Baker
Liane Balaban
James Brolin

Plot:
When it comes to love, is it ever too late to take a chance? Academy Award winners "Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson are perfect together in a movie that reminds us that true love, can indeed, come to those who wait" (Sandy Kenyon, WABC-TV).

"Utterly chamring, Hoffman and Thompson make a winning combo" (Lou Lumenick, New York Post) in Last Chance Harvey as two guarded strangers who find a growing connection with one another after a chance encounter in London. The chemistry between the pair inspires them both to believe in second chances as they unexpectedly transform each other's lives.

This "enormously entertaining love story" (Jeffrey Lyons, Reel Talk with Lyons and Bailes) from writer/diretor Joel Hopkins (Jump Tomorrow) co-stars Eileen Atkins (Gosford Park), Kathy Baker (Edward Scissorhands), James Brolin (Traffic) and Richard Schiff ("The West Wing").

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
I decided to go with this movie next because today (Aug. 8th) is Dustin Hoffman's birthday. This one is definitely a pure drama. Which is not something I normally watch much of...as my attention tends to wander a bit for some reason. But this one is a pretty good story. Entertaining enough to keep my attention for the most part. I enjoyed both Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson here. Over all above average.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 04:34:11 PM »

Title: Remember the Titans
Year: 2000
Director: Boaz Yakin
Rating: PG
Length: 113 Min.
Audio: English: DTS: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Denzel Washington
Will Patton
Wood Harris
Ryan Hurst
Donald Faison
Craig Kirkwood

Plot:
Academy Award® winner* Denzel Washington (The Hurricane) gives a victorious performance in this stirring and uplifting film. Based on a real-life drama, Remember The Titans is a rousing celebration of how a town torn apart by resentment, friction and mistrust comes together in triumphant harmony. The year is 1971. After leading his team to fifteen winning seasons, football coach Bill Yoast (Will Patton) is demoted and replaced by Herman Boone (Washington), tough, opinionated and as different from the beloved Yoast as he could be. How these two men overcome their differences, and turn a group of hostile young men into champions, plays out in a remarkable and triumphant story full of soul and spirit. You and your family will never forget the Titans.

*Best Supporting Actor, Glory, 1989.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned
THX

My Thoughts:
Another sports movie I enjoyed. And another one I didn't realize till today that it was based on a true story. This one has a good story... and I liked all the  characters. And I thought Denzel Washington did a good job. I am glad I have this one added to my collection... can see myself watching it again sometime.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete