Author Topic: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs  (Read 18566 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Unwatched DVDs
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 08:21:02 PM »
:o

Its a miracle! We never have to hear that Pete doesn't like musicals again because...he does!  :tease:

I knew I wanted to send you a musical themed DVD because of your promise to watch it.

I spent a lot of time debating what to send you because, although my initial thought was to pull your leg, I really did want to send you something that you would enjoy too...mission accomplished!

:laugh: I wouldn't use such a blanket statement as I like musicals.  Lets say I could like them if the story behind it is very good... like in the case of Ray.

But yes... mission accomplished... I did enjoy it... despite the music!  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 09:12:03 PM »

Title: The Blind Side
Year: 2009
Director: John Lee Hancock
Rating: PG-13
Length: 128 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Sandra Bullock
Tim McGraw
Quinton Aaron
Jae Head
Lily Collins
Ray McKinnon

Plot:
Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) knows little about family. Less about football. What the homeless teen knows are the streets and projects of Memphis. Well-to-do Leigh Anne Tuohy (Sandra Bullock) knows little about his world. Yet when she and Michael meet, he's found a home. And the Tuohys have found something just as life-changing: a beloved new son and brother. This real-life story of family and of Michael's growth into a blue-chip football star will have you cheering with its mix of gridiron action and heartwarming emotion. Share the remarkable journey of the college All-American and first-round NFL draft pick who was a winner before he ever stepped onto the playing field.

Extras:
Scene Access
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:
Being such a big Sandra Bullock fan I been wanting to see this one... especially since she won the Oscar for her role in it. And I must say... it is an Oscar she deserved. She was definitely excellent in this film. I also thought that Quinton Aaron did a fantastic job as well. I enjoyed every minute of this movie. The story is very well told. And like the above movie is one that is based off a true story. I am so happy this has been added to my collection... thanks to the help of a kind friend. If you haven't checked this one out yet... I definitely recommend it.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »
Jamie Foxx was really good in that role. He did get, a well deserved IMO, Oscar for that performance after all! And he did everything himself, singing and all (maybe not the piano performance - I'm not sure). And Ray Charles is such an icon of soul music. I'm glad they gave him such an homage with such a well done biography.

Also glad you enjoyed it Pete! Next up: Walk the Line (Johnny Cash)!
Just kidding! Although Joaquin Phoenix does a damn good job in it too. And Reese Witherspoon looks gorgeous as a brunette!

This is actually one of the other music DVDs I thought about sending! I do have an extra copy... :whistle:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 10:04:11 PM »
 :laugh:
Pete

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2010, 10:06:10 PM »
Maybe you are now ready for The Rocky Horror Picture Show... It's an horror movie :whistle:

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
Maybe you are now ready for The Rocky Horror Picture Show... It's an horror movie :whistle:

In Pete's defense...he can't watch horror for...how many days to go?!?

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2010, 10:12:55 PM »
62 ;D

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2010, 10:16:34 PM »
What you talking about... my calendar says June...July... October!seems there is a couple pages missing... who could have done that?  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2010, 12:50:40 AM »

Title: Mean Girls: Special Collector's Edition
Year: 2004
Director: Mark Waters
Length: 97 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Lindsay Lohan
Rachel McAdams
Tina Fey
Tim Meadows
Amy Poehler
Ana Gasteyer

Plot:
Raised in the African bush country by her zoologist parents, Cady (Lindsay Lohan) thinks she knows all about the "survival of the fittest." But the law of the jungle takes on a whole new meaning when the home-schooled 15-year-old enters public high school for the first time.

Trying to find her place among jocks, athletes and other subcultures, Cady crosses paths with the meanest species of all – the Queen Bee, aka the cool and calculating Regina (Rachel McAdams), leader of the school's most fashionable clique, The Plastics. When Cady falls for Regina's ex-boyfriend, though, the Queen Bee is stung - and she schemes to ruin Cady's social future. Cady's own claws soon come out as she leaps into a hilarious "Girl World" war that has the whole school running for cover.

Co-starring and written by Saturday Night Live's Tina Fey, Mean Girls is "Viciously Funny!" –Neil Turitz, Star

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned
Interstitials

My Thoughts:
OK... What do I think about this one? Coming freshly out of it... I found it entertaining for sure. But for some reason I was expecting more laugh out loud moments. I found it to be a fun... silly story... but not something to really laugh at. But I did have a good time watching it. Glad I have it in my collection now.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2010, 01:15:46 AM »
That's all well and good Pete, but what do you think about the title? Is it...

Mean Girls,

MeanGirls

or

Meangirls

:whistle:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 01:17:57 AM »
MEANGIRLS ;D

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 01:29:18 AM »

Wait...you mean you watched it without figuring out the proper formatting and capitalization of the title??  How could you?  Haven't you learned that you must get all the data correct no matter what and who cares if you ever actually watch the movie.  Oh no...the database will implode.
;)   :laugh:

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 01:31:33 AM by Dragonfire »

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 03:50:45 AM »

Title: The Glass House
Year: 2001
Director: Daniel Sackheim
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Leelee Sobieski
Diane Lane
Stellan Skarsgård
Bruce Dern
Kathy Baker
Trevor Morgan

Plot:
From the producer of The Fast and the Furious and I Know What You Did Last Summer comes this scare-a-minute psychological chiller starring Leelee Sobieski (Eyes Wide Shut, Never Been Kissed), Diane Lane (The Perfect Storm), Stellan Skarsgård (Good Will Hunting) and Trevor Morgan (Jurassic Park III, The Patriot).

When Ruby (Sobieski) and Rhett's (Morgan) parents are killed in a car accident, their carefree teenage lives are suddenly shattered. Moving to an incredible house in Malibu with the Glasses — old friends of the family — seems to be the beginning of a new life for them. But Ruby soon stumbles upon information that leads her to suspect that her new legal guardians might somehow be responsible for her parents's deaths. Now she finds herself all alone in a duel of wits with the ruthless and terrifying couple — and she's the only thing standing between them and her $4 million inheritance. Prepare yourself for a wild and intense thrill ride in this mesmerizing chiller!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I remember seeing the case to this movie in Walmart when it first came out. I had it in my hand trying to decide if I wanted to try it or another choice. I went with the other choice then... even though I have been very curious about watching this movie. But for some reason I never got around to getting it. Thankfully yesterday it was in the package that was sent to me... and I finally got to see it. While not the best thriller I have seen... it is definitely good. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It has a good story... and I really liked Leelee Sobieski in this movie. Thought she did a great job.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 08:15:47 PM »

Title: The Lake House: Widescreen Edition
Year: 2006
Director: Alejandro Agresti
Rating: PG
Length: 98 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Keanu Reeves
Sandra Bullock
Christopher Plummer
Ebon Moss-Bachrach
Willeke van Ammelrooy
Dylan Walsh

Plot:
Dr. Kate Forster has finally found romance. Trouble is, it's a long-distance relationship. She's in downtown Chicago. He's in a remote lakeside suburb. And there's more: She's in 2006. He's in 2004.

Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock team for the first time since Speed for this heart-lifting story of a love that transcends time. It begins when Kate moves out of her visually stunning lake house and leaves a note for the next tenant, architect Alex Wyler. They begin a correspondence and soon come to realize they are meant for each other...and that, somehow, they live two years apart. Can they ever meet? What would happen if they tried? Magical and emotionally rich, The Lake House is a love story for 2004, for 2006, for all times.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This one is a very good... though a little weird story. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Though I must admit to being off my game because for some reason I just didn't see that ending coming. And looking back it is a pretty obvious one. I think Sandra Bullock did a great job... and Keanu Reeves to be honest I don't think this type of movie is his strong point... but I still think he did a good job. This is one I can feel comfortable recommending.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 08:32:54 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it :)