Author Topic: My Alphabet Marathon Reviews  (Read 46762 times)

Rogmeister

Re: My Alphabet Marathon Reviews
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2010, 02:26:41 AM »
Well, I've now ordered Aeon Flux and Hancock...cheap copies...I also included a few more westerns in that order including a TV movie starring Clint Walker called Yuma.  That can be my "Y" entry this marathon if I remember to hold off on Y until that arrives.

RossRoy

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2010, 10:35:50 AM »
I liked Aeon Flux too.. but you have to see the animated series too at some point. The animation is so much better!

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2010, 01:02:26 PM »

Title: It's Complicated
Year: 2010
Director: Nancy Meyers
Rating: R
Length: 121 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Meryl Streep
Steve Martin
Alec Baldwin
John Krasinski
Lake Bell
Mary Kay Place

Plot:
Two-time Academy Award® winner* Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin star in this hilarious look at marriage, divorce and everything in between. Jane (Streep) has three grown kids, a thriving Santa Barbara bakery and an amicable relationship with her ex-husband, Jake (Baldwin). Now, a decade after their divorce, an innocent dinner between Jane and Jake turns into the unimaginable - an affair. Caught in the middle of their rekindled romance are Jake's young wife and Adam (Martin), a recently divorced architect who starts to fall for Jane. Could love be sweeter the second time around? It's... complicated! From writer/director Nancy Meyers comes the comedy that critics call "laugh-out-loud funny" (Rex Reed, THE NEW YORK OBSERVER).

*1982 Best Actress, Sophie's Choice and 1979 Best Supporting Actress, Kramer vs. Kramer.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I got by accident. I got it from Columbia House but the only reason I got it is because I never got the mailing to tell me about and give me the chance to refuse it. I was kind of upset about this as It's Complicated really wasn't a movie I was worried about seeing right away. The trailer... while entertaining... looked like it could have been hit or miss. So I planned to wait and catch it on cable first.

I decided to pop it in first thing this morning... and I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. It really is on the subtle side. But it is an entertaining romantic comedy. There was really only one laugh-out-loud hysterical part in the movie.... but the entire movie did keep a smile on my face. I think all three... Meryl Streep, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin did a great job and was a lot of fun to watch. I am pleasantly surprised this became a good addition to my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2010, 01:11:42 PM »
I just realized... today is the 4th of July... I should have watched Independence Day for my "I" movie! :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2010, 03:19:33 PM »

Title: Jocks
Year: 1986
Director: Steve Carver
Rating: R
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Scott Strader
Perry Lang
Mariska Hargitay
Richard Roundtree
R. G. Armstrong
Stoney Jackson

Plot:
When an odd-ball tennis team of a Los Angeles college sets out on a road trip to a regional college tennis tournament in fun-filled Las Vegas, all the stops are out and literally "anything goes" both on and off the court.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I never seen before. It is included in a cheap boxset I got called Too Cool for School... it is a boxset of '70s and '80s comedies. I don't know about others here... but when I think of Jocks I do not think tennis. Nothing really special here. basically just an average comedy about a misfit college tennis team going to Las Vegas for championships.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2010, 05:36:10 PM »
I haven't seen Hancock yet either but I just recently picked up the bluray for it. I though Aeon Flux was pretty good though!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 04:26:01 AM »
When I saw the cover I wondered if you were filling in for Jimmy ;)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 06:48:18 AM »
 :hysterical:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 02:30:42 PM »
When I saw the cover I wondered if you were filling in for Jimmy ;)

:hysterical: What really sucks is that scene wasn't even in the movie! Matter of fact there really was very little nudity in the movie. And no sex what so ever.  :P
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »

Title: K-PAX
Year: 2001
Director: Iain Softley
Rating: PG-13
Length: 120 Min.

Stars:
Kevin Spacey
Jeff Bridges
Mary McCormack
Alfre Woodard
David Patrick Kelly

Plot:
Prot is a patient at a mental hospital who claims to be from a far away planet. His psychiatrist tries to help him, only to begin to doubt his own explanations.

My Thoughts:
This is a movie I watched on Encore On-Demand. I just now finished watching this one... and to be honest I am still letting it sink in. It is an interesting story... and I did enjoy it. And I think Kevin Spacey  did a great job with the role. As did Jeff Bridges for that matter. The story itself has a slower pace then what I am used to watching. But it works for it. I think it is just the type of story it is. Without going into too much detail (just in case you haven't seen it yet) I liked how they ended this one as well. Lets just say it leaves you thinking. I think this is one I will eventually add to my collection. I can see myself watching it again.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 05:01:43 AM »

Title: The Lady Vanishes
Year: 1938
Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Rating: NR
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: N/A

Stars:
Margaret Lockwood
Michael Redgrave
Paul Lukas
May Whitty [Dame May Whitty]
Cecil Parker
Linden Travers

Plot:
During a transcontinental train trip in Europe, a young woman is alarmed to discover a passenger has disappeared.

Extras:
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This is one of the movies in the Alfred Hitchcock: The Legend Begins set. It is a boxset of 20 of his early movies... most of which from the '20s and '30s. I got the set for only $5 so needless to say quality wise I was expecting the worst. While it did have it's problems... I was pleasantly surprised with the quality.

When I first put this on I was started to get discouraged. While amusing... I expected much more from it. Then about a 3rd of the way through it they finally get onto the train. This is where the movie picked up for me. I liked Margaret Lockwood in this movie. This is the first thing I have seen her in... but I found her both attractive and entertaining. And I have to admit I got more then one laugh out of the little fight the 3 characters had in the freight car.

The movie seemed to have 3 distinct parts. The first 3rd of the movie introducing the characters... some comedic situations. Entertaining but I expected more form it. Then there is the 2nd part of the movie which was the mystery itself. This was my favorite part of the entire movie. And then the final 3rd of the movie to solve the mystery and have the conclusion. This I liked more then the first part... but not as much as the middle. Over all I feel this is a very good... entertaining movie. This movie alone is more then worth the $5 price for the 20 movie set it is in.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 12:31:33 PM »
Nicely done, Pete!   :thumbup:

What did you think of the two British characters who are only concerned with a cricket match? :)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »
Talk about crazy... there was definitely some characters in this one!  :laugh:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 04:48:37 PM »

Title: Meet Dave
Year: 2008
Director: Brian Robbins
Rating: PG
Length: 90 Min.

Stars:
Eddie Murphy
Elizabeth Banks
Gabrielle Union
Scott Caan
Ed Helms

Plot:
A crew of miniature aliens operate a spaceship that has a human form. While trying to save their planet, the aliens encounter a new problem, as their ship becomes smitten with an Earth woman.

My Thoughts:
When I originally saw the trailer for this movie... my curiosity was peeked. Shortly after the movie came out I started reading bad reviews for it. So I decided to wait for it to show on cable instead of wasting money on it. I spotted it on On-Demand this morning and figured I would give it a go... but will keep my expectations very low. While it isn't exactly what I would call a good movie... I was expecting worse. I did get a couple chuckles out of it... but for the most part it really is a pretty average movie. Definitely not one I would be in a hurry to see again. It would have to be very cheap for me to add it to my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »

Title: Nine to Five
Year: 1980
Director: Colin Higgins
Rating: PG
Length: 110 Min.

Stars:
Jane Fonda
Lily Tomlin
Dolly Parton
Dabney Coleman
Sterling Hayden

Plot:
Frank Hart is a pig. He takes advantage in the grossest manner of the women who work with him. When his three assistants manage to trap him in his own house they assume control of his department and productivity leaps, but just how long can they keep Hart tied up?

My Thoughts:
This is another one I watched on On-Demand. I seen this one years ago when it first came out. I thought I remembered it being a good comedy. But this one didn't work too well for me. While there is some entertaining scenes... there was no real laughs in it for me. This is 2 comedies in a row that I found be no more then average. I don't think this is one I would bother added to my collection at all.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete