Author Topic: My Alphabet Marathon Reviews  (Read 47043 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
My Alphabet Marathon Reviews
« on: June 30, 2010, 09:43:03 PM »
My Alphabet Marathon Reviews
I changed my mind and decided to go ahead and make a Thread for my alphabet Marathon reviews. I am doing this because I am going to attempt to do them in order #, A-Z. Of course the way my mood hits and misses at times this may be difficult to do. To make this even more difficult. Because I am abstaining right now... there will be no horror movies allowed to be watched.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: My Alphabet Marathon Reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:57:56 PM »
Step 1:
Deciding on a movie that starts with a number. Here is what I can choose from.

- 10.5 (miniseries)
- 10.5: Apocalypse (miniseries)
-  The 10th Kingdom (miniseries)
- 12 Monkeys
- 13 Going on 30
- 24: Redemption
- 28 Days
- 50 First Dates
- 5ive Days to Midnight (Miniseries)
Pete

Rogmeister

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »
I hadn't even thought about my own # film yet.  Last year I did 100 Rifles.  I've only heard of a few you name...and have just one of them myself, 13 Going On 30...which I haven't seen yet.  With your huge library, I'm surprised you don't have more that fit that category  :o

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:59:55 AM »
Well... I do have a few more Roger... but they are in the horror genre... and I already started abstaining from horror till October. :P
Pete

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 02:27:38 AM »
Go for 12 Monkeys!

hal9g

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 04:43:49 AM »
I agree with '12 Monkeys'.

Brad Pitt is excellent in this film!   :thumbup:

snowcat

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
I own 12 Monkeys and have never watched it... I should watch it for my # too

Najemikon

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:28:53 PM »
I've seen it loads of times, but I fancy seeing it again now! Lets all go for 12 Monkeys! :drunk:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
Wow! both sites... everyone want 12 Monkeys! So guess I will watch 50 First Dates  :tomato: OK... OK... 12 Monkeys it is! Sheesh you people are demanding!  :tease:
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 12:52:45 AM »

Title: 12 Monkeys: Special Edition
Year: 1995
Director: Terry Gilliam
Rating: R
Length: 129 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Joseph Melito
Bruce Willis
Jon Seda
Michael Chance
Vernon Campbell
H. Michael Walls

Plot:
In this science fiction masterpiece, Cole (Bruce Willis) is sent back in time to save the human race from a deadly virus that has forced mankind into dank underground communities in the future. Along his travels, he encounters a psychiatrist (Madeleine Stowe) and a mental patient, brilliantly portrayed by Brad Pitt, who may hold the key to the mysterious rogue group, The Army of the 12 Monkeys, thought to be responsible for unleashing the killer disease. Believing he can obtain a pure virus sample in order to find a cure in the future, he is met with one riddle after another that puts him in a race for time.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes

My Thoughts:
When I bought this movie... it was a complete blind buy. Never even seeing the trailer before buying it. Some decent stars in this movie. I like Bruce Willis... I am not too familiar with Madeline Stowe, but everything I have seen her in to date I have enjoyed. Brad Pitt has always been hit and miss in my eyes. I always thought him to be a somewhat over-rated actor. Though he can be good at times. I did like him in Fight Club, Interview with a Vampire and Se7en. And I have to admit... he was right good in this one as well. When I first saw the trailer I was a little concerned this movie would be a bit on the confusing side. But it really wasn't. It is really an interesting, enjoyable movie. Maybe it was a little on the slow side in some parts. But not terribly so. Over-all I am glad I added it to my collection.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 12:53:12 AM »
Jimmy... you can just switch the links on the above.
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 05:05:01 PM »

Title: Air Force One
Year: 1997
Director: Wolfgang Petersen
Length: 124 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono

Stars:
Harrison Ford
Gary Oldman
Glenn Close
Wendy Crewson
Liesel Matthews
Paul Guilfoyle

Plot:
Harrison Ford, Gary Oldman and Glenn Close star in two-time Oscar®-nominee* Wolfgang Petersen's gripping thriller about a steadfast U.S. President who has just told the world he will not negotiate with terrorists. Now, Russian neo-nationalists have hijacked Air Force One, and the President is faced with a nearly impossible decision – give in to terrorist demands or sacrifice not only the country's dignity, but the lives of his wife and daughter.

*1981, Das Boot, Director, Screenplay Adaptation

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. One thing I like about this movie... just when you think the excitement is over you are proven wrong. This movie is filled with action and excitement. The cast is wonderful... especially Harrison Ford, Glenn Close and of course Gary Oldman. This is a movie I can easily get lost in. I have seen it several times now... and it never fails to entertain.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »
The above is another one you can just replace the link Jimmy :)
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 09:01:18 PM »

Title: Best Men
Year: 1997
Director: Tamra Davis
Length: 89 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1

Stars:
Dean Cain
Andy Dick
Sean Patrick Flanery
Mitchell Whitfield
Luke Wilson
Fred Ward

Plot:
Never cross a bride on her wedding day...she'll take no prisoners. Drew Barrymore (Riding in Cars with Boys) stars with a young and talented cast featuring Dean Cain, Andy Dick, Sean Patrick Flanery, Mitchell Whitfield and Luke Wilson in a hilarious "action-comedy full of snappy dialogue and colorful characters" (Total Film) that puts a whole new spin on shotgun weddings!

Hope's (Barrymore) big mistake on her wedding day was sending the groomsmen to collect her jailbird fiancé Jesse (Wilson) from prison. For on the way from the penitentiary, the best man, Billy (Flanery), decides to he needs a little cash infusion from the town bank...so he holds it up! But it's not long before all of the groomsmen are held up – when the cops surround the place! And since neither hell nor high water will stop Hope from having her day...she rushes into join her fugitive wedding party, at the risk of spending her honeymoon – not to mention the rest of her life – behind bars!

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
This title was suggested to me by our friend Tom when I was asking for suggestions of movies to add to my Drew Barrymore collection. Before that suggestion I never even heard of this one. Unfortunately Drew Barrymore's role is a little on the limited side... but it is a good movie... though not one I would call great. But it is an entertaining watch. It is definitely worth the few bucks I paid for it. Though I must admit I am a little disappointed with the DVD release. There is no extra features what so ever on this one. Not even any trailers for any movies let alone for the movie on this disc.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2010, 12:56:31 AM »

Title: Clash of the Titans
Year: 1981
Director: Desmond Davis
Rating: PG
Length: 118 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround

Stars:
Laurence Olivier
Claire Bloom
Maggie Smith
Ursula Andress
Jack Gwillim

Plot:
Before history and beyond imagination! The machinations of gods above and the fates of man and monsters here below play out in a Clash of the Titans. Decades prior to the sensational 2010 version of the tale, Harry Hamlin took up sword and shield to play valorous Perseus, mortal son of Zeus (Laurence Olivier) who sets out to fulfill his destiny by rescuing beloved Andromeda from the wrath of goddess Thetis (Maggie Smith). Perils await Perseus time and again. And eye-filling thrills await viewers as stop-motion effects legend Ray Harryhausen (Jason and the Argonauts) unleashes snake-haired Medusa, fearsome Kraken, winged Pegasus, two-headed dog Dioskilos, giant scorpions and more. Rejoice, fantasy fans: the movie gods gift us with adventure that's innovative, heroic, titanic.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:
I was a teen when I last saw this movie. And that is more years then I would like to admit. While I forgot most of the movie... there was scenes that still remained in my memory. Mainly the scene with Perseus face off against Medusa. But for the most part it was like watching it again... for the first time. I am actually surprised just how into this movie I got. I was transfixed on the show. I really liked the style this movie was made in. The cast is wonderful in it. I was afraid that time would not be kind to this movie.... and special effects wise it really hasn't. But for some reason... while watching this movie I found I just didn't care about that... and was able to just sit back and enjoy every second of it. I forgot that Burgess Meredith is in this movie. I always liked him. As I did in this one. I think it is even safe to say I enjoyed this one more then I should have. But I think that is because of no more then nostalgia... as I watched this movie multiple times in my early teen years.

My Rating:
Out of a Possible 5
Pete