Author Topic: Tom's Time-Travel Movie Reviews  (Read 136821 times)

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Weekend Movie Marathon: Time-travel Movies
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2008, 06:48:11 AM »
I liked the director's cut version better, which also had other additional scenes with which this alternative ending has much more impact than the kinda boring theatrical ending.
With his realization, that there were other brothers before him who had all the same problem (and therefore killed themselves in the womb also and his mother has therefore miscarried). And then we hear, that his mother again is pregnant. But this time with a girl and so the cycle is broken.
Now you have me slightly confused. :weirdo: If you are descibing the DC there, than it seems that the DC is he one wherehe kills himself, not the one where he alienates the girl to avoid becoiing friends with her.

In that case I would prefer the Theatrical Cut after all, and not the DC. I found that baby doing suicide in the womb just a little over the top... (not that the baby kills itself per se, but it being conscious...)

Najemikon

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2008, 10:04:48 AM »
I liked the director's cut version better, which also had other additional scenes with which this alternative ending has much more impact than the kinda boring theatrical ending.
With his realization, that there were other brothers before him who had all the same problem (and therefore killed themselves in the womb also and his mother has therefore miscarried). And then we hear, that his mother again is pregnant. But this time with a girl and so the cycle is broken.
Now you have me slightly confused. :weirdo: If you are descibing the DC there, than it seems that the DC is he one wherehe kills himself, not the one where he alienates the girl to avoid becoiing friends with her.

In that case I would prefer the Theatrical Cut after all, and not the DC. I found that baby doing suicide in the womb just a little over the top... (not that the baby kills itself per se, but it being conscious...)

That was the point I hated too. I saw the DC which had the original ending on the disc and I didn't think that was much better. I suppose within the logic of the film, the baby being concious was almost acceptable, because he has all the memories and a degree of control. It's still a heck of a stretch though.

My main problem with the whole film is it makes little sense and as I mentioned before, it's pointless. His exceptional skill/gift/whatever has one purpose: to prove he shouldn't exist.  :shrug:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »
His exceptional skill/gift/whatever has one purpose: to prove he shouldn't exist.  :shrug:
Had the same feeling of pointless-ness with Donnie Darko.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2008, 01:55:14 PM »
My main problem with the whole film is it makes little sense and as I mentioned before, it's pointless. His exceptional skill/gift/whatever has one purpose: to prove he shouldn't exist.  :shrug:
Maybe that's why I liked the cut where he just alienates the girl better; didn't feel quite that pointless. :whistle: He just needed to find out what exactly to do in order to change the outcome.

Had the same feeling of pointless-ness with Donnie Darko.
I am still figuring that one out :laugh: Seen it twice so far (Theatrical Cut) and couldn't quite wrap my head around it. Maybe I should see the Director's Cut, as it supposedly spells things out more clearly (while probably inferior for that reason, it might help me understand the whole thing :-[).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 01:57:47 PM by ya_shin »

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2008, 01:56:36 PM »
yesasia usually is customs free as they ship over belgium.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2008, 06:29:13 PM »
yesasia usually is customs free as they ship over belgium.

Good to know. Thanks!

Najemikon

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2008, 07:47:38 PM »
I have both versions of Donnie Darko and although I think the theatrical is better, that's only because the director's cut is more obvious. To be fair, I could only fully appreciate the story after seeing the DC.

Karsten, I agree to some extent. Darko is eventually pointless, but it's more enigmatic than Butterfly, better writing and production all round, and the stakes are at least much higher (as revealed by the pages of the book that punctuate scenes in the DC). Plus, like all good films, Darko seems to be trying to say something beyond its story. I think Butterfly just is what it is and I felt let down by it overall. Especially as there were some really cool ideas.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 03:38:45 AM »
I have both versions of Donnie Darko and although I think the theatrical is better, that's only because the director's cut is more obvious. To be fair, I could only fully appreciate the story after seeing the DC.
So basically you're saying I am right. I should get the DC (maybe as a rental only) just to finally clarify some of the plot points and then afterwards keep enjoying the more puzzling Theatrical Cut... :hmmmm:

Najemikon

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
That's what I did. Don't know about rental only though; I saw it in Asda the other day for £2.99...  :laugh:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 09:44:20 AM »
I only watched the DC and even then I din't understand it (completely). :bag:

But I really like Jake Gyllenhall, he always looks slightly maniac (anyone seen "The Good Girl"?).
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Peter von Frosta

« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2008, 11:34:17 AM »
So basically you're saying I am right. I should get the DC (maybe as a rental only) just to finally clarify some of the plot points and then afterwards keep enjoying the more puzzling Theatrical Cut... :hmmmm:
The 2-disc versions have all the book pages from the DC as bonus material and I believe the deleted scenes cover almost everything that was put back in the DC. IMO the only real advantage of the DC is the audio commentary with Kelly and Kevin Smith.
The German theatrical 2-disc set should provide the best picture quality available, and it's fairly cheap too.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2008, 11:27:07 PM »
     Les Visiteurs (1993/France)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Miramax Home Entertainment (United States)
Director:Jean-Marie Poiré
Writing:Christian Clavier (Screenwriter), Jean-Marie Poiré (Screenwriter)
Length:107 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:French: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:English

Stars:
Christian Clavier as Jacquoille/Jacquoart
Jean Reno as Comte Godefroy de Montmirail
Valérie Lemercier as Frénégonde de Pouille/Béatrice de M
Marie-Anne Chazel as Ginette la Clocharde
Christian Bujeau as Jean-Pierre

Plot:
This outrageous time-travel comedy follows the misadventures of a wacky medieval knight (Jean Reno – Just Visiting, The Professional, Mission: Impossible) and his faithful servant (Christian Clavier – Just Visiting) when they suddenly find themselves zapped into the present day! Mayhem rules as these 12th Century visitors try adapting to the wildly confusing modern world! To avoid being stuck here for good, however, they soon begin an all-out comic assault on their former castle – now a luxury hotel – in their quest to return. But you can be sure The Visitors won't leave without first delivering nonstop laughs and outstanding comedy entertainment!

Awards:
Won:
César (1993)  Meilleure Actrice dans un second rôle (Valérie Lemercier)
Nominated:
César (1993)  Meilleur Acteur (Christian Clavier)
César (1993)  Meilleur Acteur (Jean Reno)
César (1993)  Meilleur Film
César (1993)  Meilleur Montage (Catherine Kelber)
César (1993)  Meilleur Réalisateur (Jean-Marie Poiré)
César (1993)  Meilleur Scénario original ou Adaptation (Jean-Marie Poiré, Christian Clavier)
César (1993)  Meilleure Musique écrite pour un film (Eric Levi)
César (1993)  Meilleurs Costumes (Catherine Leterrier)

Extras:
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I always liked this movie. I have seen it a few times in the 90's on German television. There were even two different German dubs. One in standard German, in the other, the actors were dubbed with French accents. This is unusual but I really liked that dub :laugh:
Now was the first time I had a chance to watch it with the original French sound track.
This movie had a disappointing sequel and a US/French spin-off movie which I haven't seen yet. But I will soon because it was also part of the latest package. But I do not promise myself much from this new movie because I have yet to read a favorable review for it.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:05:29 PM by Tom »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2008, 02:35:14 AM »
This movie had a disappointing sequel and a US/French spin-off movie which I haven't seen yet. But I will soon because it was also part of the latest package. But I do not promise myself much from this new movie because I have yet to read a favorable review for it.
I have seen parts of the remake on HBO. While some stuff seemed funny, I definitely recommend to keep expectations low.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2008, 10:23:21 PM »
     Just Visiting (2001/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

(United States)
Director:Jean-Marie Gaubert
Writing:Jean-Marie Poiré (Original Material By), Christian Clavier (Original Material By), Christian Clavier (Screenwriter), Jean-Marie Poiré (Screenwriter), John Hughes (Screenwriter)
Length:88 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, French

Stars:
Jean Reno as Thibault
Christina Applegate as Rosalind/Julia
Christian Clavier as Andre
Matthew Ross as Hunter
Tara Reid as Angelique

Plot:
Just Visiting is one very funny fish-out-of-water comedy the whole family will enjoy. It's 12th century France and the Count Thibault of Malfete (Jean Reno, 'Mission: Impossible') finds his beautiful bride-to-be (Christina Applegate, TV's 'Jesse') done in by malevolent magic. So he and his loyal servant André (Christian Clavier, 'Les Visiteurs') request the help of a local wizard to right the wrong and bring his beloved back. But the wizardry goes awry and the pair is transported to 21st century Chicago where they meet Thibault's descendant Julia (Applegate) and her scheming fiancé. With their timeless values of courage, they wreak hilarious havoc as they foil diabolical plots in modern-day Chicago and try to find their way back home.

Extras:
  • Closed Captioned
  • Featurettes
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is a US remake of the French movie 'Les Visiteur'. It is more of a screwball comedy than the original movie.
Sadly, Jean Reno's character comes across more as a joke than as the excellently played knight of the original movie.

This movie is a yet another in a long line of Hollywood having to remake a movie for the American audience.
The German habit of dubbing movies is often critized by some citing that other European countries like the Netherlands and Scandinavian countries do not have the need to do it, why then Germany? Are the German people too lazy to read subtitles? (It is just that the dubbing industry in Germany has become too big and the people are acustomed to have the movie dubbed).
But on the other hand, when I look at the US: What do they do? Do they dub? Do they subtitling? No, they remake the whole movie instead :hysterical:

On a side note: Jean Remo looked a little like a colleague of mine in this movie :laugh:

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:06:59 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2008, 12:12:03 AM »
But on the other hand, when I look at the US: What do they do? Do they dub? Do they subtitling? No, they remake the whole movie instead  :hysterical:

That insight just earned you a point. Brilliant quote!   :dance: