Author Topic: Tom's Time-Travel Movie Reviews  (Read 135734 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Time-Travel Movie Reviews
« Reply #165 on: March 09, 2013, 10:39:33 PM »
     The Sticky Fingers of Time (2001/United States)
IMDb

(United Kingdom)
Director:Hilary Brougher
Writing:
Length:78 min.
Video:Full Frame 1:33
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:
      [tom]5014138294939.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Terumi Matthews as Tucker
Nicole Zaray as Drew
Belinda Becker as Ofelia
James Urbaniak as Isaac
Thomas Pasley as J.L.

Plot:
A stunningly photographed romantic thriller, The Sticky Fingers Of Time finds a new heroine in Tucker Harding, an ultra-smooth, modishly sexy, chain smoking, time-traveling, 50's pulp fiction novelist. Constantly shifting in style, content and mood, The Sticky Fingers Of Time is deliciously deviant and seductively offbeat.

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Scene Access

My Thoughts:
A nice enough movie, though I don't like their talk of non-linear time. It feels like they want to convey a more profound backstory than it actually is.

Rating:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 02:35:48 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 13, 2013, 03:58:51 PM »
     The Triangle (2005/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Momentum Pictures (United Kingdom)
Director:Craig R. Baxley
Writing:Rockne S. O'Bannon (Screenwriter), Rockne S. O'Bannon (Story By), Bryan Singer (Story By), Dean Devlin (Story By)
Length:245 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English
      [tom]5060049147864.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Eric Stoltz as Howard Thomas
Catherine Bell as Emily Patterson
Lou Diamond Phillips as Meeno Paloma
Bruce Davison as Stan Lathem
Michael Rodgers as Bruce Geller

Plot:
Billionaire Eric Benireall (Sam Neill) is losing his cargo ships and their crews at a frightening pace - and he wants answers. His bemused, hand-picked team of a subject-specific experts include: sceptical tabloid journalist Howard Thomas (Eric Stoltz), ocean resource engineer Emily Patterson (Catherine Bell), scientist/adventurer Bruce Geller (Michael Rodgers), and psychic Stan Latham (Bruce Davison). Recruited with the promise of unlimited funding for their research and the chance for once-in-a-lifetime riches, the team sets out to solve this most daunting of puzzles.

Awards:
Won:
Saturn (2005)  Best Television Presentation
Nominated:
Saturn (2005)  Best Supporting Actor in a Television Series (Sam Neill)
Saturn (2005)  Best Supporting Actress in a Television Series (Catherine Bell)

Extras:
  • Featurettes
  • Interviews

My Thoughts:
A three-part miniseries about a group of people investigating the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle. The story plays with time-travel and alternate reality. I enjoyed this series. I liked the first part the most, but also the ending was nice.

Rating:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 02:14:54 PM by Tom »

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2013, 03:14:39 AM »
I don't get to many series (especially older ones as they are better in my memories than the end up being actually) but I got this one mid-end last year and watched it right away.  I really enjoyed it.
Thank you
David

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2013, 10:29:38 PM »
[tom]4048317475384.5f.jpg[/tom]      John Dies at the End (2012/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Ascot Elite Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Don Coscarelli
Writing:Don Coscarelli (Screenwriter), David Wong (Original Material By)
Length:97 min.
Video:Widescreen 1.78
Audio:German: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles:English, German
      [tom]4048317475384.5b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Chase Williamson as Dave
Rob Mayes as John
Paul Giamatti as Arnie Blondestone
Clancy Brown as Dr. Albert Marconi
Glynn Turman as Detective

Plot:
A new street drug that sends its users across time and dimensions has one drawback: some people return as no longer human. Can two college dropouts save humankind from this silent, otherworldly invasion?

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Trailers
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Wendecover

My Thoughts:
The title made me curious. And it was said to be about time-travel, which as you know I enjoy. But this movie is really strange. Not really my cup of tea, but objectively I have to say it is a good movie. It reminded me a little of Donnie Darko.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2013, 05:10:19 AM »
My Thoughts:
The title made me curious. And it was said to be about time-travel, which as you know I enjoy. But this movie is really strange. Not really my cup of tea, but objectively I have to say it is a good movie. It reminded me a little of Donnie Darko.
I could have told you, that it's not really about time travel. Different dimension which looks like a different era, more likely.

The comparison to Donnie Darko is quite good, I have to say. It has a similar warped mind-set, although I'd say it's even more warped in the end...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2013, 09:34:22 PM »
     Rubinrot (2013/Germany)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Concorde Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Felix Fuchssteiner
Writing:Katharina Schöde (Screenwriter), Kerstin Gier (Original Material By)
Length:122 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.40
Audio:German: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Audio Descriptive: DTS 2.0 Stereo, English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles:English, German
      [tom]4010324039095.5b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Josefine Preuß as Lucy Montrose
Florian Bartholomäi as Paul de Villiers
Uwe Kockisch as Falk de Villiers
Johannes Silberschneider as Mr Bernhard
Gerlinde Locker as Lady Arista

Plot:
Gwendolyn Shepherd is actually a very normal 16-year-old teen. What's annoying is that her family definitely has a tad too many secrets. They all have to do with the time-travel gene that is passed down in the family. Everyone is certain that Gwen's cousin Charlotte has the gene, and so everything is all Charlotte, all the time. Until the day Gwen, out of the clear blue sky, suddenly finds herself in London at the end of the 19th century. She knows right away that she, and not Charlotte, was born to be a time traveler - even if she could certainly do without it. Just as she could do without Charlotte's arrogant boyfriend Gideon de Villiers, with whom she now has to forge an alliance in order to clear up the biggest secret of her family history. One thing is clear: she will do everything possible to solve the ancient mysteries. What isn't clear is that one should not fall in love between the times. For that really makes things complicated!

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes
  • Production Notes
  • Interviews
  • Bonus Trailers
  • Wendecover

My Thoughts:
I haven't read the books. I didn't know anything about it before going in. I just stumbled across it, because it is a time-travel movie. I enjoyed the first half of the movie, but I got bored with the second half. As it is the first part of a trilogy, there are also still a lot of questions left open.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 02:05:18 PM by Tom »

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »
     Doctor Who: The Movie (1996/United Kingdom)
IMDb | Wikipedia

2 entertain Video (United Kingdom)
Director:Geoffrey Sax
Writing:Matthew Jacobs (Writer)
Length:86 min.
Video:Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, Music Only: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles:English, Trivia
      [tom]IA36B3E02653C3A99.4b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Paul McGann as The Doctor
Eric Roberts as The Master (Bruce)
Daphne Ashbrook as Dr. Grace Holloway
Sylvester McCoy as The Doctor
Yee Jee Tso as Chang Lee

Plot:
The Doctor is returning home to gallifrey with the remains of his arch-nemesis, the Master. Forced off course, the TARDIS arrives in San Francisco on New Year's Eve 1999, where the Doctor is critically wounded in a gangland gun battle. At the local hospital, Dr Grace Holloway fights - and fails - to save his life.

Later, in the morgue, the Doctor wakes up a new man. But he is not the only one - the Master has also found himself a new body. As the clock counts down to the start of the new millennium, can the Doctor stop his oldest enemy destroying all life on Earth?

This story was originally broadcast on BBC1 on 27th May 1996

Awards:
Won:
Saturn (1996)  Best Single Genre Television Presentation
Nominated:
Saturn (1996)  Best Genre Television Actor (Paul McGann)

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Commentary
  • Trailers
  • Photo Gallery
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • DVD-ROM Content
  • Interviews
  • Bonus Trailers

My Thoughts:
With this TV movie I am now concluding my classic Doctor Who watching. I have now seen all incarnations of the Doctor.
This movie was a pilot for a revival series which was not picked up. I have to say that I am glad about this, because the 2005 revival is much better. Except for a few nice scenes I found the movie rather boring. But it was nice to see that they have given the doctor better production values than in the old series.

The following is how I currently rank the doctors. Though you have to consider that I only saw a few episodes each for the classic doctors.

1) Eleventh (Matt Smith)
2) Ninth (Christopher Eccleston)
3) Tenth (David Tennant)
4) Third (Jon Pertwee)
5) Seventh (Sylvester McCoy)
6) Fourth (Tom Baker)
7) Second (Patrick Troughton)
8 ) Fifth (Peter Davison)
9) Sixth (Colin Baker)
10) First (William Hartnell)
11) Eighths (Paul McGann)

My favorite classic doctor is the third one (Jon Pertwee).
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 02:04:12 PM by Tom »

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2013, 01:35:18 AM »
Well except for being wrong about the order of Doctors <G> I have to agree on your reasoning for it not being picked up earlier.

As they say "You never forget your first Doctor" .. or your preferred one
Thank you
David

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2013, 03:40:51 AM »
I don't know how I would rank the Doctors.  I like 9, 10, and 11...I like 4 from when I saw episodes years ago.

So far I have seen a little with the first three...I like them too.  Guess I'm a bit indecisive about this...hmm...maybe 4 and 10 for favorites..  ack.  I can't decide.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2014, 01:36:56 PM »
     The Time Machine (2002/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Home Video (Germany)
Director:Simon Wells
Writing:H. G. Wells (Original Material By), John Logan (Screenwriter), David Duncan (Original Material By)
Length:92 min.
Video:Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40
Audio:English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround
Subtitles:Danish, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish
      [tom]7321921221910.5b.jpg[/tom]

Stars:
Guy Pearce as Alexander Hartdegen
Mark Addy as David Philby
Phyllida Law as Mrs. Watchit
Laura Kirk as Flower Seller
Josh Stamberg as Motorist

Plot:
Hoping to alter the events of the past, a 19th century inventor instead travels 800,000 years into the future, where he finds humankind divided into two warring races.

Awards:
Won:
World Soundtrack Awards (2002)  Discovery of the Year (Klaus Badelt)
Nominated:
Academy Award (2002)  Best Makeup (John M. Elliott Jr., Barbara Lorenz)

Extras:
  • Commentary
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Featurettes
  • Photo Gallery
  • Scene Access
  • Storyboard-Sequenz
  • Trailers

My Thoughts:
It has been a long time since I last saw this movie. I know that it has a bad reputation, but I like it.The acting isn't the best, but I think it is an enjoyable movie. I like the reason why he cannot change the past to save his fiancé.
What I find strange is, that IMDb trivia says that the time machine in this movie was the most expensive prop in a movie ever up to that point. I cannot fathom this, except if the machine was build with real gold and diamonds.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 02:03:51 PM by Tom »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 19, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »
My Thoughts:
It has been a long time since I last saw this movie. I know that it has a bad reputation, but I like it.The acting isn't the best, but I think it is an enjoyable movie. I like the reason why he cannot change the past to save his fiancé.
I remember liking that too. Isn't that a plot thread that was missing from the older film (with Rod Taylor)? In fact I also quite liked the film for the most part, except "that ending"...

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 19, 2014, 06:06:49 PM »
Yes, this plot thread was not in the old movie. And also not in the book.

Offline DSig

• Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 19, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
I have always enjoyed this version.  Maybe because to me it does a better job of the period.  Don't get me wrong, the George Pal version was great.  Seeing it as a young man it really was one of the things that drove me towards SciFi (not syfy sic) and Fantasy.  Of course the new version seems more polished etc .. let's face it filming has come a long way in 42 years (imagine how Pal would have done now).  But I always felt the new version carried the book storyline pretty well.  Little bits out .. little bits back in.

And for time travel lovers it does add the bit of questions about what can happen when trying to 'right a wrong'.
Thank you
David

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 20, 2014, 05:14:47 AM »
And for time travel lovers it does add the bit of questions about what can happen when trying to 'right a wrong'.
...and the answer to that is so incredibly logical! :slaphead:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 24, 2023, 09:48:51 AM »
     Bill & Ted Face the Music (2020/United States)
IMDb | Wikipedia

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (Germany)
Director:Dean Parisot
Writing:Chris Matheson (Writer), Ed Solomon (Writer), Chris Matheson (Original Characters By), Ed Solomon (Original Characters By)
Length:92 min.
Video:Widescreen 2.35
Audio:English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Audio Descriptive: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles:English, German, Spanish

Stars:
Keanu Reeves as Ted
Alex Winter as Bill
Kristen Schaal as Kelly
Samara Weaving as Thea
Brigette Lundy-Paine as Billie

Plot:
Für William "Bill" S. Preston Esq. (Alex Winter) und Theodore "Ted" Logan (Keanu Reeves) und ihre zeitreisenden Heldentaten steht mehr auf dem Spiel als je zuvor. Als ein Besucher aus der Zukunft sie warnt, dass nur ihr Lied das Leben, wie wir es kennen, retten kann, begeben sich die besten Freunde von nunmehr mittlerem Alter auf ein neues Abenteuer, um ihre Rock-'n'-Roll-Bestimmung zu erfüllen. Unterwegs werden ihnen ihre Töchter, eine neue Gruppe historischer Persönlichkeiten und einige Musiklegenden zur Seite stehen.

Extras:
  • Scene Access
  • Featurettes
  • Digital Copy

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed the first two movies. So of course I wanted to watch this final installment at some point. But I treaded it a little, because most movies, which get a sequel decades later are not good.
But I was pleasently surprised. It worked in this movie. I really enjoyed watching Bill & Ted again. And I think it is a good conclusion to their story.

Rating: