Author Topic: Tom's Unwatched Movies Marathon  (Read 36163 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's Unwatched Movies Marathon
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2010, 10:01:05 PM »
Keep it on the side Kathy, I want to send you something before. Sadly it won't be before september, but I think you will be happy ;)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2010, 10:14:10 PM »
I have to go to the post office to pick up some packing things since I'm sending out quite a few things this week. If you want it I will pack it up and send it out with everything else.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2010, 10:19:43 PM »
As you wish Kathy ;)
I would prefer to send you something first, I can't right now but when september will start a package will be on your way.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2010, 10:23:31 PM »
My wish is your command? Ooo I like the sound of that!

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2010, 07:08:31 PM »

Title: The Godfather
Year: 1972
Director: Francis Ford Coppola
Rating: 15
Length: 177 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78
Audio: German: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 1, English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 1, Commentary: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Norwegian, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Marlon Brando
Al Pacino
James Caan
Richard Castellano
Robert Duvall

Plot:
Regarded as one of the best American films ever
by the American Film Institute, Francis ford Coppola's epic masterpiece features Marlon Brando in his Oscar®-winning* role as the patriarch of the Corleone family.The Godfather™ is a violent and chilling portrait of the Sicilian family's struggle to stay in power in a post-war America of corruption, deceit and betrayal. Coppola begins his legendary trilogy, masterfully balancing the story of the Corleone's family life and the ugly crime business in which they are engaged. Based on Mario Puzo's best-selling and featuring career-making performances by Al Pacino, James Caan and Robert Duvall, this searing and brilliant film garnered ten Academy Award® nominations, and won three including Best Picture of 1972.
*Best Actor in a Leading Role 1972

Awards:
Academy Award1972WonBest ActorMarlon Brando (refused the award)
Academy Award1972NominatedBest Costume DesignAnna Hill Johnstone
Academy Award1972NominatedBest DirectorFrancis Ford Coppola
Academy Award1972NominatedBest Film EditingWilliam Reynolds, Peter Zinner
Academy Award1972WonBest PictureAlbert S. Ruddy (Producer)
Academy Award1972NominatedBest SoundCharles Grenzbach, Richard Portman, Chris Newman
Academy Award1972NominatedBest Supporting ActorAl Pacino
Academy Award1972NominatedBest Supporting ActorJames Caan
Academy Award1972NominatedBest Supporting ActorRobert Duvall
Academy Award1972WonBest Writing, Adapted ScreenplayMario Puzo, Francis Ford Coppola
AFI1972Won100 Years... 100 Movies (1998)
AFI1972Won100 Years... 100 Movies (2007)
AFI1972Won100 Years... 100 Quotes (2005)"Quote": I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.
AFI1972Won100 Years... 100 Thrills (2001)
AFI1972Won100 Years... 25 Scores (2005)"Composer": Nino Rota
American Cinema Editors Awards1973NominatedBest Edited Feature FilmPeter Zinner
BAFTA1972NominatedActorMarlon Brando
BAFTA1972WonAnthony Asquith Memorial AwardNino Rota
BAFTA1972NominatedCostume DesignAnna Hill Johnstone
BAFTA1972NominatedMost Promising Newcomer To Leading Film RolesAl Pacino
BAFTA1972NominatedSupporting ActorRobert Duvall
David di Donatello1973WonMiglior film stranieroAlbert S. Ruddy
David di Donatello1973WonSpecial DavidAl Pacino
Directors Guild of America1973WonOutstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion PicturesFrancis Ford Coppola, Fred C. Caruso, Fred T. Gallo, Steven P. Skloot
Golden Globe1972NominatedActor in a Leading Role - DramaAl Pacino
Golden Globe1972WonActor in a Leading Role - DramaMarlon Brando
Golden Globe1972NominatedActor in a Supporting RoleJames Caan
Golden Globe1972WonDirectorFrancis Ford Coppola
Golden Globe1972WonOriginal ScoreNino Rota
Golden Globe1972WonPicture - DramaAlbert S. Ruddy
Golden Globe1972WonScreenplayFrancis Ford Coppola, Mario Puzo
Grammy Awards1973WonBest Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or TV SpecialNino Rota
National Board of Review Awards, USA1972WonBest Supporting ActorAl Pacino
Writers Guild of America Awards1973WonBest Drama Adapted from Another MediumMario Puzo, Francis Ford Coppola

Extras:
Commentary
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I never really liked movies about the mafia. So this movie never seemed like something I would enjoy. And I wasn't completely convinced otherwise, which will probably be incomprehensible to most of you. I simply have a hard time keeping interest in the ongoings in a movie, when there isn't a single character I can sympathise with.
But I have to admit, that at the end I got curious about the second movie. It looks like it could be really interesting. The first movie seems to be a three-hour build-up to it.

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
Well done for trying it, Tom! It's difficult to say which one is better, but while it does have possibly an even more complicated story, The Godfather 2 also has a fascinating flashback structure showing Robert DeNiro as the young Vito as a parallel to Michael's continued rise. It's just marvellous... :thumbup:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2010, 03:31:37 AM »
I never really saw The Godfather as a film about the mafia. More as a family film, who happens to be in the business of organized crime :shrug:

Personally, I prefer Part 1 over Part 2, but the latter is still a great film.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2010, 09:46:44 PM »

Title: Patriot Games
Year: 1992
Director: Phillip Noyce
Writing: Tom Clancy (Original Material By), W. Peter Iliff (Screenwriter), Donald Stewart (Screenwriter)
Rating: 15
Length: 112 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Czech: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Hungarian: Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround, Polish: Dolby Digital 1
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan
Anne Archer as Cathy Ryan
Patrick Bergin as Kevin O'Donnell
Sean Bean as Sean Miller
Thora Birch as Sally Ryan

Plot:
Harrison Ford stars as Jack Ryan in this explosive thriller based on Tom Clancy's international best-seller. His days as an intelligence agent behind him, former CIA analyst Jack Ryan has travelled to London to vacation with his wife (Anne Archer, Fatal Attraction) and child (Thora Birch, All I want For Christmas). Meeting his family outside of Buckingham Palace, Ryan is caught in the middle of a terrorist attack on Lord Holmes (James Fox, The Russian House), a member of the Royal Family. Ryan helps to thwart Holmes' assailants and becomes a local hero. But Ryan's courageous act marks him as a target in the sights of the terrorist (Sean Bean, Stormy Monday) whose brother he killed. Now Ryan must return to action for the most vital assignment of his life: to save his family. Co-starring James Earl Jones (The Hunt For Red October).

Awards:
AFI1992Nominated100 Years... 100 Thrills (2001)
ASCAP Awards1993WonTop Box Office FilmsJames Horner
Young Artist Awards1993NominatedBest Young Actress Under Ten in a Motion PictureThora Birch

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I know that I have neglegted this thread, but it is not my fault that you only request movies that I never seem to get in the mood for  :P

A solid action thriller. Not necessarily my type of movie but I enjoyed it. Though it dragged towards the end. I felt the middle of the movie was the strongest.

Rating:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 09:54:58 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2010, 09:51:26 PM »
I always like the Jack Ryan movies, though they do plod somewhat. Have you seen Hunt for Red October?

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2010, 09:54:10 PM »
I always like the Jack Ryan movies, though they do plod somewhat. Have you seen Hunt for Red October?
No, I haven't. Although I have heard that it is worthwhile to watch. My brother is a fan of this movie.

Najemikon

« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2010, 10:04:33 PM »
It's definitely the best one, but you haven't missed any story between the films. They link in simply showing Ryan's career progressing. Sum of All Fears is the confusing one as it's set in modern day, but Ryan is a young recruit.  :stars:

Red October is a great film though.

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 10, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »
I enjoy the Jack Ryan movies. Has anyone read the Tom Clancy books that they are based on?

Clancy is one of the few authors who I have a love/hate relationship with. He is a fine author in many ways but he might be the only one that I don't read every word he writes.

The problem, for me, is that he goes into way too much detail about every single thing. I don't care that a bolt is made of steel, is one inch in diameter. two inches long, is manufactured at Boeing Air Force, was made in 1947, was designed by Joe Blow, etc. etc. etc.

I would love to be the editor of his works because I would slash at least twenty five percent of his words from his novels. I don't even bother to get his new works because I know I'm going to spend time rolling my eyes at some of the things he writes.

hal9g

« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2010, 02:43:02 AM »
I read everything he wrote for many years until he co-authored the 'Op Center' series.  Those turned out to be a major disappointment and I haven't read anything by him since.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2010, 09:07:26 PM »
I have this movie since beginning of 2008...  :-[

Vom Winde Verweht

... I'll watch it this year! I swear an oath on it!  :whateva:

And, Thorsten, did you watch it yet  :devil:

kahless