Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315834 times)

Critter

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #600 on: December 16, 2010, 09:58:51 AM »
I've always liked Jolie, and she is a talented actress when you see her in the right thing, which is sometimes hard as she has done some really terrible films. Aside from just her acting I like her off screen as well. I remember I once watched an episode of Inside the Actors Studio which was an hour-long interview with her. It was really amazing and ever since that interview I have liked her.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #601 on: December 18, 2010, 06:30:25 AM »
I agree the movie is haunting.  What that woman went through just trying to find out what happened to her son is horrid.  The police corruption was so bad.  It really is a wonder that she managed to do what she did at that time given how women were still treated badly for the most part then.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #602 on: December 19, 2010, 05:41:07 PM »
Madigan

Title:Madigan
Year: 1968
Director: Don Siegel
Rating: NR
Length: 101 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Richard Widmark
Henry Fonda
Inger Stevens
Harry Guardino
James Whitmore

Plot:
Richard Widmark and Henry Fonda star in this critically acclaimed detective drama that takes a hard-hitting look at the lives and loves of New York City's top cops. Directed in gripping documentary fashion by Don Siegel, Richard Widmark portrays the veteran Big Apple detective who is given only a few hours to track down a vicious killer. Henry Fonda is the humane yet relentlessly forceful police commissioner who orders Widmark into the streets to solve the case, even though he knows it might be his last assignment

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Late 60's cop flick with Richard Widmark & Henry Fonda. There's actually two stories going on in this film... Widmark's character, a hard nosed cop who doesn't always play by the rules botches a takedown and loses his gun to a perp. He's under pressure from the brass to set it right, under even more pressure from himself and his pride, all the while neglecting his beautiful wife played by Inger Stevens.

Henry Fonda plays the Police Comissioner whose known for being straight as an arrow and yet is carrying on an adulterous affair with Canada's own Susan Clark (gorgeous!  ;) ) and trying to come to terms with the knowledge that his Chief Of Detectives, also his best friend, is a dirty cop caught on tape in a bribery rap.

The stories overlap somewhat but each would make a good movie on their own. It's a bit dated but has good storylines and top notch talent. My admiration for Richard Widmark has grown over the years as his acting is excellent, always in macho-bravado roles. He also reminds a lot of an old friend of mine who passed away a number of years ago in a motorcycle accident. He looks, sounds and acts like him.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #603 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »
Captain Kronos : Vampire Hunter

Title:Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter
Year: 1974
Director: Brian Clemens
Rating: R
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Horst Janson
John Carson
Shane Briant
Caroline Munro
John Cater

Plot:
In a small village in the remote English countryside, several young maidens have been found dead - their beautiful faces horribly aged almost beyond recognition. Suspecting a supernatural evil at work, the local doctor calls on Army friend and famed vampire hunter Captain Kronos, an expert swordsman formerly of the King's Imperial Guard. Aided by his expert assistant Professor Grost, the two quickly confirm the gruesome murders are the work of a unique type of vampire, one who drains its victims not of their blood, but of their youth! After forging a lethal new sword from an old graveyard cross, the vampire hunters set out to put an end to Evil's reign of terror in this Hammer Films horror classic.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Ultra no-budget Hammer Films movie that is not your traditional vampire movie. This vamp doesn't suck your blood, it sucks out your youth, leaving you a dried up old husk.

The acting is so bad it's actually quite entertaining. Gore hounds will be disappointed as I doubt you could fill a brandy glass with the amount of blood spilled in this one.

The most ridiculous aspect of the film has to be Grost, Kronos's faithful hunchback servant. He was actually one of the better actors but watching the 'hump' on his back shifting around precariously under his shirt was too much!  :hysterical:

The few highlights included some excellent swordplay at the end and Hammer pinup girl Caroline Munro who is more vampy than the beast they are hunting. Her beauty more than makes up for her lack of acting skills.  :drooling:

As long as you keep in mind you are watching a Hammer Film then nothing about CK : VH should surprise you.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #604 on: December 24, 2010, 03:25:24 AM »
Short Circuit 2

Title:Short Circuit 2
Year: 1988
Director: Kenneth Johnson
Rating: PG
Length: 110 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Tim Blaney
Fisher Stevens
Michael McKean
Cynthia Gibb
Jack Weston

Plot:
Number Five, aka Johnny Five, that incredible, lovable robot from the smash hit Short Circuit, is back and taking the big city by storm in this action-packed comedy adventure. Upbeat Johnny's out for some "urban input," but some street hoods, a greedy banker and a gang of crooks see his naiveté as their high-tech ticket to easy street. Will Johnny survive the big bad city and its big, bad city slickers? Keep your wires crossed when you switch on this high voltage film.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Ok sequel to the Johnny 5 saga. Not nearly as good as the original but still had some entertaining moments thanks largely to the robot himself. I think I would have enjoyed both installments much more had they dropped Fisher Stevens character who I find is one of the most annoying people on the planet.

Cynthia Gibb, hottie and love interest of Rob Lowe in Youngblood was in this but she looks more like a girl scout than a vixen this time around.

Lots of Canadian content including Michael McKean and this film was largely produced in Toronto, mostly around Yonge Street. I spotted a plethora of Canadian flags, The World's Biggest Bookstore, CIBC headquarters and I'm pretty sure I saw the Zanzibar... a strip club I have frequented a few times in my wilder days.  8) The editing crew did a shameful job when trying to make the city look like New York.  :-\

Was ok, but I'm glad they stopped after part 2.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #605 on: December 30, 2010, 04:12:48 PM »
Zombie Strippers

Title:Zombie Strippers
Year: 2008
Director: Jay Lee
Rating: NR
Length: 94 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Jenna Jameson
Robert Englund
Roxy Saint
Penny Drake
Joey Medina

Plot:
When a secret government agency lets out a deadly chemical virus causing the reanimation of the dead, the first place to get hit is Rhino's, a hot underground strip club. As one of the strippers gets the virus, she turns into a supernatural, flesh-eating zombie stripper, making her the hit of the club. Do the rest of the girls fight the temptation to be like the star stripper, even if there is no turning back?

Also featuring 'ROXY SAINT' (of Goth band Roxy Saint and the Blackouts) and Ultimate Fighting Champion 'TITO ORTIZ', 'ZOMBIE STRIPPERS' is a sexy, bloody, hilarious good time!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I'd pass on the lap dance.  :o

Another movie that succeeds on stupidity. Some of it is so ridiculous you can't help but laugh. Take away the comedy, which by the way, pokes terrific fun at American culture and politics, and you have a top notch gore mongers delight! Adding beautiful naked women the likes of Jenna Jameson doesn't hurt either.

Robert Englund had fun with this one, playing a hypochondriac night club owning slime who cowers from the undead rather than dealing out death like he used to as Freddy. Tito Ortiz of the UFC world has a bit part and maybe one line in the whole film. I was expecting him to be one of the bad ass soldiers trying to snuff out the zombies but nope, he played a pussy bouncer who took off running at the first sign of blood.  ::)

This is the perfect movie for necrophiliacs!  :laugh:

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #606 on: January 02, 2011, 03:59:58 AM »
The Road

Title:The Road
Year: 2009
Director: John Hillcoat
Rating: R
Length: 111 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Viggo Mortensen
Kodi Smit-McPhee
Robert Duvall
Guy Pearce
Molly Parker

Plot:
From Cormac McCarthy, author of "No Country For Old Men", comes the highly anticipated big screen adaptation of the beloved, best-selling and Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, "The Road" Academy Award® nominee Viggo Mortensen (Best Actor, Eastern Promises, 2007) Leads an all-star cast featuring Academy Award® winners Chalize Theron (Best Actress, Monster, 2003) and Robert Duvall (Best Actor, Tender Mercies, 1983), Guy Pearce and young newcomer Kodi Smit-McPhee in this epic post-apocalyptic tale of the survival of a father (Mortensen) and his young son (Smit-McPhee) as they journey across a barren America that was destroyed by a mysterious cataclysm. A masterpiece adventure, The Road boldly imagines a future in which men are pushed to the worst and the best that they are capable of – a future in which a father and his son are sustained by love.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Bonus Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Tonight it was my pick and as I have been hearing and reading great reviews of this movie I thought the time had come to experience it.

A very emotionally moving movie and unlike any other post-apocalyptic story I have watched before. This focuses less on the tragic end of days (for which it was never clear what caused it) but more on the enduring love between a father and his son.

I like how it begins, with bright colorful images of nature and life before the event compared in stark contrast to the dirty lifeless grey that permeates the entire world after which leaves no confusion as to the extreme level of desolation. Through a series of flashbacks we see how one family drifts from one state of mind to another.... surprise, fear of the unknown, survival, desperation, terror and resignation of ones fate. The mother, played by Charlize Theron, gives up, leaving her men to the horrors of the world.

The man and his boy, played by Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee set out for the southern coast of Florida facing starvation, the elements, which include constant rain and earthquakes, cannibals & rapists and worst of all... the unknown. All in the hopes of finding a more forgiving climate and some semblance of civilization.

There are some very memorable cameos in this movie. Robert Duvall as the nearly blind old man Eli who envies the bond between the man and boy as he reflects sadly at the loss of his own son. Michael K. Williams, as the thief who runs off with their only belongings, stripped of everything including his dignity once caught. Guy Pearce, plays a man who could be either the boy's death or his salvation and you find yourself holding your breath until you know the answer.

There are moments of raw emotional feeling that were very touching for me. Already ferociously protective of my own children, I could see where a parents survivalist instincts would increase a hundred fold when safekeeping their own.

Now one of my favorite movies, I must read Cormac McCarthy's book.

If this movie is in your to-watch pile... move it to the top.

KC

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #607 on: January 02, 2011, 01:50:58 PM »
Great review, KC. I'm glad you liked it. As I said in my review, people are easily put off by the synopsis, yet it is oddly uplifting. Fantastic film.

Have you seen The Proposition? That's also a McCarthy book adapted by the same director, John Hillcoat.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #608 on: January 02, 2011, 04:24:22 PM »
Great review, KC. I'm glad you liked it. As I said in my review, people are easily put off by the synopsis, yet it is oddly uplifting. Fantastic film.

Have you seen The Proposition? That's also a McCarthy book adapted by the same director, John Hillcoat.

Not yet but I do have it. Given my appreciation for Hillcoat's effort with The Road I think it will be moving up my to-watch pile.

Rogmeister

« Reply #609 on: January 02, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »
Interestingly enough, I have The Proposition, too.  I recently found it on Blu-ray for just $8.00.  I wasn't sure about getting it since I wasn't familiar with many of the people who made this movie but it had some good review quotes so I decided to take a chance with it.  But I also haven't got around to watching it yet.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #610 on: January 06, 2011, 06:06:21 AM »
Emperor Of The North

Title:Emperor of the North
Year: 1973
Director: Robert Aldrich
Rating: PG
Length: 120 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Lee Marvin
Ernest Borgnine
Keith Carradine
Charles Tyner
Malcolm Atterbury

Plot:
Oscar®-winners Lee Marvin ('The Wild One') and Ernest Borgnine ('Marty') face off in an epic battle of wills in this riveting thriller "full of outrageous challenges, impossible predicaments and improbably escapes!" ('The New York Times'). Directed by Robert Aldrich ('The Dirty Dozen'), and boasting "gripping, action-packed suspense [and] one of the most spectacular fights in a long time, 'Emperor of the North' is one helluva film!" ('Genesis'). Set on the Pacific Northwest railways at the height of the Depression, 'Emperor of the North' pits a crafty, train-hopping drifter called A-No.1 (Marvin) against Shack (Borgnine), the cruel, bum-intolerant conductor of Engine 19. But when pride turns their determination into obsession, the clash escalates into a fight to the finish that only one man can survive!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Lee Marvin and Ernest Borgnine square off toe to toe in a battle of the King Of Hobos Vs. the meanest railman of the Pacific Northwest.

A - No. 1 (Marvin), a legend among the hobo community during the Great Depression, has never found a train he couldn't bum a ride from. Shack (Borgnine), a legend in his own right, has never let a hobo catch a free ride on his train. Many have tried and were slammed by his ball peen hammer... and didn't live to tell about it. Something has got to give and the result is a rip roaring, action packed showdown.

Marvin was the consummate badass for many years in film, proving it once again in Emperor Of The North. Borgnine and his wild eyes was the perfect choice for Shack, a man obsessed in his attempt to ensure his perfect record of no free rides is not tarnished. A very young Keith Carradine hitches along on Marvin coattails, full of piss and vinegar put lacking any real street smarts. His shifting loyalties cost him in the end.

I already have so many favorite Lee Marvin movies... I'm not sure where to rank this beauty!

They don't make'm like this anymore.  :clap:

KC

Rating:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 03:11:30 AM by KinkyCyborg »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 06, 2011, 05:55:55 PM »
I'm glad to see you liked this film, it's one of my favorite Lee Marvin performances. Isn't it amazing how many good films Ernest Borgnine has been a part of?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 04:21:02 AM by Antares »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #612 on: January 07, 2011, 12:43:21 AM »
I'm glad to see you liked this film, it's one of my favorite Lee Marvin performances. Isn't it amazing how many good films Ernest Borgnine has been apart of?

He certainly has. I particularly liked him in The Poseidon Adventure. He's still going strong at age 93!!!  :o  He has roles in two movies for 2011 according to IMDB.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #613 on: January 08, 2011, 04:25:50 AM »
The Langoliers

Title:The Langoliers
Year: 1995
Director: Tom Holland
Rating: PG-13
Length: 180 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Tom Holland
Mark Lindsay Chapman
Kate Maberly
Julie Arnold Lisnet
Bronson Pinchot

Plot:
Something bizarre has happened aboard flight #29...a nightmare so chilling, so frightening, so unrelenting it could only come from the mind of Stephen King. Now the master storyteller of our time gives terror a new name in THE LANGOLIERS. A jet leaves on a red-eye flight from Los Angeles to Boston. But early in the flight, ten passengers awaken to a startling realization: All of the other passengers have vanished – and the ground below is only...ground. But once they manage to land the plane, the situation doesn't improve. No one is there...the air is still...the clocks have stopped...and a dread, evil presence bent on their destruction is headed straight for them. Based on the novella from the best-selling anthology Four Past Midnight, Patricia Wettig (City Slickers II), Bronson Pincho (Beverly Hills Cop), Dean Stockwell (The Player) and David Morse (The Getaway) stare into the jaws of oblivion in this nightmare from the mind of Stephen King.

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Read the novella from Four Past Midnight and loved it so I was expecting this made for tv mini-series to fail miserably compared to the book.

Story of a flight the goes through a time rip which causes everyone who wasn't sleeping at the time to disappear. Those who slept through the phenomena are left puzzled and looking for answers. When the truth becomes apparent they must thrust aside their terror in order to find a way to stay alive.

The first two hours of this three hour movie was very good. Suspenseful and thrilling while developing the key characters along the way. Then the 'Langoliers' appear and I was completely disgusted.  :thumbdown: The book describes them as rolling black masses that just envelop everything in their path until there is nothing left. The movie portrays them as vicious, thrashing entities with rows of jagged teeth and a hunters instinct. These idiotic computer generated 'things' almost ruined the entire movie for me after a stellar start. I was so thankful when that segment was over.

A decent cast led by David Morse, all in turn tell their stories. Bronson Pinchot was great as the crazed Toomey. It was nice to see him in a different role than the fruits he usually plays. I immediately remembered the robotic ripping of the paper his character did in the book and he absolutely nailed the detachment that was described in King's story.

The movie finished up strong although I was almost expecting a dark turn that deviated from the book, not unlike the way The Mist ended but it didn't happen. Oh and King made his mandatory cameo in this one as well... during a hallucinogenic vision. Seems appropriate.  :laugh:

KC

Rating:

Dr. Hasslein

« Reply #614 on: January 08, 2011, 07:15:07 AM »
I love this movie, yes the appearance of the Langoliers is laughable but the characters are great and the story is most intriguing. Bob Jenkins is my favourite character, I could have easily just spent three hours listening to him talk.