Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315843 times)

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #525 on: November 14, 2010, 06:42:32 AM »
I haven't seen all of Tarantino's movies, but I just haven't liked the ones I have seen.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 14, 2010, 06:57:58 AM »
(and for some reason I never liked the highly praised) Reservoir Dogs (slicing of an ear, even in ultra slow motion, doesn't suffice for a 100 minute movie)
I won't try to change your opinion. But, you thinking that the slicing off of the ear was shown in slo-mo shows that it was done excellently. The action is neither on screen nor slow-motion ;)

Najemikon

« Reply #527 on: November 14, 2010, 12:49:36 PM »
(and for some reason I never liked the highly praised) Reservoir Dogs (slicing of an ear, even in ultra slow motion, doesn't suffice for a 100 minute movie)
I won't try to change your opinion. But, you thinking that the slicing off of the ear was shown in slo-mo shows that it was done excellently. The action is neither on screen nor slow-motion ;)

:hysterical:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #528 on: November 14, 2010, 05:42:39 PM »
Moving on....    :whistle:

The Santa Clause

Title:The Santa Clause
Year: 1994
Director: John Pasquin
Rating: PG
Length: 97 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Tim Allen
Judge Reinhold
Wendy Crewson
Eric Lloyd
David Krumholtz

Plot:
Superstar comedian and Golden Globe winner Tim Allen shines bright in Disney's magical, larger-than-life hit comedy that People Magazine dubbed "the most playfully amusing, inventive cinematic...fable in several decades!" Now in this all-new special edition DVD release, your entire family can enjoy never-before-seen bonus footage, interactive games and more, making this original holiday classic a joyful new experience!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Interactive Games
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Solid holiday fare with many funny and endearing moments. They should have stopped after this one as the sequels were overkill.

I don't know why but Disney made Tim Allen their darling poster boy for this and many other Disney ventures. I guess they were trying to cash in on the success of his Home Improvement series but almost all of his roles don't seem to stray too far from his Tim The Toolman persona.

I haven't watched it yet but I curious to see him in Redbelt where he is supposed to be some sort of sleazy fight promoter. I don't dislike him but I need to see something more from him beyond these carbon copy family movies before I can begin to take him seriously as a worthy actor.

KC

Rating:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 14, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »
Why? Because the film looks like shit. The cars look ridiculous.

Hey, it's me remember! ??? I can't believe you would pull the Citizen Kane card!

You're right and I apologize for using it. What I should have said was that when you go into a film that is directed by Paul Bartel, then you have to understand that he was an independent film maker who constantly worked with budgets that would make a film school virgin director wince. Do you really believe that the cars would have looked like that if he had a $1 million budget?

snowcat

« Reply #530 on: November 14, 2010, 10:13:15 PM »
I love the Santa Clause its one of my favourite christmas movies, I think the second film is ok.... its funny... its not great but its enjoyable.... the third film  :puke:

Najemikon

« Reply #531 on: November 14, 2010, 10:26:36 PM »
Why? Because the film looks like shit. The cars look ridiculous.

Hey, it's me remember! ??? I can't believe you would pull the Citizen Kane card!

You're right and I apologize for using it. What I should have said was that when you go into a film that is directed by Paul Bartel, then you have to understand that he was an independent film maker who constantly worked with budgets that would make a film school virgin director wince. Do you really believe that the cars would have looked like that if he had a $1 million budget?

Thanks for that.  ;)

I know it's low budget, but I don't like to make excuses for films. It can be admired and demands respect, but that doesn't make it enjoyable and I think he actually could have done better and I wouldn't have minded the cars, except the writing wasn't great and neither were the cast.

Look at John Carpenter's Dark Star, another low budget classic. It inspired Alien and Red Dwarf, is absolutely hilarious and Carpenter shows a great deal more skill in actually pacing and editing a plot. Proved in some way by his success, which Paul "Who?" Bartel can't compare with (he seems to have done more as an actor).

Whatever their origins, films for me have to just work. The original Gone In 60 Seconds is another one with an exaggerated reputation. The final chase is awesome, but as a whole the film is dreadful.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 15, 2010, 12:08:45 AM »
Jon don't use Dark Star as an exemple of a well done film... This one always brings me in the Morphée arms, I'll rewatch The Sorority before I'll try to watch it again :yawn:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 15, 2010, 05:01:18 AM »
Jon don't use Dark Star as an exemple of a well done film... This one always brings me in the Morphée arms, I'll rewatch The Sorority before I'll try to watch it again :yawn:
Dark Star is one of those films that you either dig or you don't. I too have always enjoyed it, mainly for it's humor.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #534 on: November 15, 2010, 05:31:07 AM »
The Simpsons Movie

Title:The Simpsons Movie
Year: 2007
Director: David Silverman
Rating: PG-13
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Dan Castellaneta
Julie Kavner
Nancy Cartwright
Yeardley Smith
Nancy Cartwright

Plot:
When Homer accidentally pollutes the river with toxic
waste from the nuclear power plant, he gets fired from his job, and
everyone has to evacuate Springfield, possibly forever.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

DOH!  :laugh:

Hollywood incarnation of TV's longest running Prime Time show... it was probably long overdue but I'm not convinced it was really necessary.

I enjoyed the movie but really isn't this just an extended episode? I've only watched a few scattered episodes of The Simpsons, although I do own the first 7 seasons so I will get into them some day, but unless you are a complete Simpsons fanatic I don't know what a movie rendition of the show would have different to offer beyond the regular series. Certainly not enough to make me want to shell out money to go watch it in the theater.

The Simpsons are easily considered an institution now with Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and even Maggie all household names. The black humor that always pokes fun at celebrities, world events and even our own lives is what has made this show so appealing even after 20+ years. For that reason it should, and is, the most revered animated show of all and it's staying power proves it.

Good, funny movie... I just don't think they should have made their loyal fans pay for it when it could have just as easily been turned into a 2 hour special on FOX.

KC

Rating:

Critter

« Reply #535 on: November 15, 2010, 05:37:06 AM »
but unless you are a complete Simpsons fanatic I don't know what a movie rendition of the show would have different to offer beyond the regular series.

Nope, true Simpsons fanatics generally dislike this film very much. As well as every episode past season 11....

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #536 on: November 15, 2010, 12:26:51 PM »
but unless you are a complete Simpsons fanatic I don't know what a movie rendition of the show would have different to offer beyond the regular series.

Nope, true Simpsons fanatics generally dislike this film very much. As well as every episode past season 11....

Really... what happened after season 11?

Critter

« Reply #537 on: November 15, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
After season 11 things started to slowly go down hill. The show lost it's heart and everything that made it so wonderful in it's time. The characters became shallow and the jokes just plain stupid, more like bad Family Guy humour than Golden Age Simpsons humour. I have seen at least 300 Simpsons episodes, many episodes up to 10 or 20 times each and I can tell you I have never in my life seen a show go from so good to so bad. So yeah, most true Simpsons "fanatics" hate the Simpsons film becuase it reminds them of how bad the show turned.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 01:08:28 PM by Critter »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #538 on: November 15, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »
Well I guess I must not be a true Simpsons fan since I liked the movie.  I still enjoy the show. 
Though I didn't start watching it until around season 11 or 12.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 15, 2010, 11:15:27 PM »
... I have never in my life seen a show go from so good to so bad.

Weeds S5 comes to mind, although it returns to form in the final four episodes.
Matthias