Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315931 times)

KinkyCyborg

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #390 on: September 29, 2010, 04:15:39 AM »
I agree, The Serpent and the Rainbow is a good film, Wes Craven did a good job here, far away from any houses, hills or nightmares ;). I rememer it creeped me out quite a bit when I originally saw it at the cinema and it held up quite well during a re-watch not so long ago.

I also read the book this is based on (since it talks about "real life zombies") and found it quite interesting to learn the background.

I agree it has aged quite well as I'm sure it's been a good 10 years between viewings and still I was riveted. Definitely some unnerving scenes in this one.  :thumbup:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #391 on: September 29, 2010, 04:18:14 AM »

Title:Anzio
Year: 1968
Director: Edward Dmytryk
Rating: PG
Length: 117 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Robert Mitchum
Peter Falk
Earl Holliman
Mark Damon
Reni Santoni

Plot:
Screen greats Robert Mitchum, Peter Falk and Arthur Kennedy star in the riveting war drama ANZIO, a vivid portrait of one of the bloodiest WWII battles ever fought. After landing with Allied troops at Anzio, Italy, in 1944, war correspondent Dick Ennis (Mitchum) and buddy Corporal Rabinoff (Falk) tell Anzio commander General Lesley (Kennedy) that the road to Rome is wide open. But instead of heading to Rome, Lesley attempts to build a coastal stronghold, only to discover that the Germans have outflanked them by enclosing the Anzio beachhead. Four months and over 30,000 casualties later, the Allied forces smash through the German lines and victoriously march to Rome. Directed by highly-acclaimed action director Edward Dmytryk ('The Caine Mutiny', 'Back To Bataan'), ANZIO is a powerful film and a symbol of heroic tenacity.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

WWII movie about the costly blunder and the thousands of lives lost during the reclaiming of Italy by Allied forces.

This started off a bit slow and the song/score during the opening credits was extremely sappy and inappropriate for a war movie but overall I thought this was a decent film. Robert Mitchum was solid as a war correspondent covering the hostilities while lamenting and trying to make sense of the inhumanity of it all. I've always found Peter Falk kind of annoying but I rather liked him in this one, portraying a solider who craves the action because it beats his plain existence back home.

While this was a good historic depiction of events that took place in the end the message is the same as with most war movies... a condemnation of conflict that turns ordinary men into killers.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2010, 03:41:00 AM »

Title:Law Abiding Citizen
Year: 2009
Director: F. Gary Gray
Rating: 18A
Length: 109 Min.
Video: Widescreen :1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Gerard Butler
Jamie Foxx
Leslie Bibb
Viola Davis
Regina Hall

Plot:
Synopsis of Law Abiding Citizen
When Philadelphia family man Clyde Shelton (Gerard Butler) learns that the D.A. (Jamie Foxx) has cut a deal allowing one of the two killers who murdered his wife and child to escape the death penalty, he launches an ingenious and ruthless campaign of revenge. When Shelton's crimes continue even after he is incarcerated, the police grow baffled even as they desperately try to stop the bloodletting

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Tonight was my pick and so I chose a movie that has been one of the most talked about at my work in recent months.

Great action and suspense with stellar performances by Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler. You are meant to cheer for the anti-hero but midway through Butler's character crosses a line and you no longer feel so sorry for him.... that I wasn't expecting and made for an unexpected twist.

The blabber mouths at work talked endlessly about the shocking kill scene so I knew about it, saw it coming... and jumped anyway! Sweet!  :clap:

The movie raises an interesting question that I'm sure everyone has asked themselves at some point. What lengths would you go to to get back at those who harm your loved ones?? While I certainly don't possess the ingenuity displayed in Law Abiding Citizen, I'd like to think the end result would be the same.

While I think this movie was very good I think it just misses out on being great which would have been achieved had Butler's character been allowed to carry out his final act.  This was edgy, thrilling and intense but it failed to deliver the knockout punch.

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #393 on: October 02, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »

Title:Kramer vs. Kramer
Year: 1979
Director: Robert Benton
Length: 105 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Dustin Hoffman
Meryl Streep
Jane Alexander
Justin Henry
Howard Duff

Plot:
Winner of 5 Academy Awards®*, KRAMER VS. KRAMER is a ground-breaking drama about the heartbreak of divorce and the struggle between work and family. Young husband and father Ted Kramer (Dustin Hoffman) loves his family – and his job, which is where he spends most of his time. When he returns home late one evening from work, his wife Joanna (Meryl Streep) confronts him and then leaves him, forcing Ted to become the sole caregiver to their six-year-old son. Now, Ted must learn to be a father while balancing the demands of his high-pressure career. But just as Ted adapts to his new role and begins to feel like a fulfilled parent, Joanna returns. And now she wants her son back.

*1979, Best Picture • Best Actor - Dustin Hoffman • Best Supporting Actress - Meryl Streep • Best Director - Robert Benton • Best Screenplay (adapted) - Robert Benton

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Saw this years ago, long before I had children of my own. Having gone through my own custody battle (which I won) I could certainly relate to the stress, anxiety and fear associated with a struggle such as that. It was easily the most physically and emotionally unsettling experience of my life.

Dustin Hoffman was great and deserving of his best actor Oscar. Meryl Streep was good too although I was not a fan of hers in the early part of her career as she just always struck me as weird in her roles of the 70's and early 80's. I love all her recent however and shown to just keep getting better with age.  :D

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #394 on: October 03, 2010, 06:53:11 AM »

Title:Race to Space
Year: 2000
Director: Sean McNamara
Length: 104 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
James Woods
Annabeth Gish
Alex D. Linz
Wesley Mann
Patrick Richwood

Plot:
Based on the true story of the first chimpanzee in space, James Woods stars as Wilhelm Von Huber, a NASA scientist who transfers to Florida with his son, Billy (Alex Linz). Billy dreams of becoming a hero like the young astronaut Alan Shepard. Wilhelm dreams of Billy becoming a scientist like him. When Billy is hired by Dr. Donni McGuiness (Annabeth Gish) to help train the chimpanzees for the NASA space mission, he develops a close bond with Mac, one of the chimps. But when Mac is chosen to become the first chimp sent into space, Billy soon realizes that if Mac is successful on this mission, something could go terribly wrong. Father and son put aside their differences and work together in hopes of bringing Mac home safely.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Production Notes
Bloopers, HAM Featurette, KSC Promo

My Thoughts:

Based on true events, this explores the U.S./U.S.S.R. race to put a living being in space. An American team led by German scientists accomplished this feat by putting a chimp in orbit.

I don't think this was a completely accurate accounting of the events leading up to the launch of that day as some comical and diabolical elements were added to keep this from being a strictly technical display, but it was done without going overboard.

I enjoyed it although I thought James Woods looked horribly out of place as the lead German scientist whose uptight and strict nature certainly did nothing to dispel the Nazi persona associated with his homeland. I like Woods but I guess I'm used to seeing him as a hard nosed cop or a convincing sleaze...  8)

Kids will enjoy this too as the chimps do the expected gags, farts, raspberries and goofy faces.  :laugh:

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #395 on: October 09, 2010, 03:58:24 PM »

Title:Dave
Year: 1993
Director: Ivan Reitman
Rating: PG-13
Length: 110 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Kevin Kline
Sigourney Weaver
Frank Langella (1938)
Kevin Dunn
Ving Rhames

Plot:
Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver star in this box-office winner about an uncanny Presidential lookalike recruited as a momentary stand-in for America's Chief Executive. However, things don't turn out exactly as planned and Dave finds himself continuing the masquerade indefinitely.

Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters) directs and supporting players Frank Langella, Ving Rhames, Ben Kingsley and Charles Grodin supply more reasons to stand up and cheer. Real-life Washington politicos and pundits join the fun as Dave uses ordinary-guy savvy to deal with the extraordinary responsibilities of the Oval Office.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Charming political comedy about a presidential look-a-like who is pressed into taking on the role for real on an ongoing basis.

Outstanding cast with Kevin Kline, Sigourney Weaver, Frank Langella, Charles Grodin, Ving Rhames, Laura Linney, Ben Kingsley and a gaggle of both political and celebrity cameos. The ending was predictable but it was still a great feel good movie.

I very much want to find myself attracted to Sigourney Weaver but I just can't get myself there. I admire her acting chops and some of the great performances she has had in her career but she has a hard, no nonsense edge about her that strips away the sex appeal. The only movie that I felt she pulled off sexy in was the comedy Heartbreakers where she played a gold digging, vampy con artist and I loved it!  :thumbup: She is probably now past those kind of roles at her age but I wish I had seen more of that from her earlier in her career. ;)

KC

Rating:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 10, 2010, 05:43:50 PM »
This is one of those films that I tend to gravitate towards when I can't make up my mind on what I want to watch. It's always a safe bet that it will be entertaining.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #397 on: October 11, 2010, 03:56:53 PM »
This is one of those films that I tend to gravitate towards when I can't make up my mind on what I want to watch. It's always a safe bet that it will be entertaining.

It has a pretty simple formula but it's amusing and heartwarming nonetheless. If only real politicians could be so likable.  :D

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #398 on: October 11, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »

Title:Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Year: 2004
Director: Kerry Conran
Length: 106 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Gwyneth Paltrow
Jude Law
Giovanni Ribisi
Michael Gambon
Bai Ling

Plot:
If the world is in trouble and there's no one else to turn to, it's Sky Captain to the rescue!

When mysterious giant robots begin attacking the streets of New York City, intrepid reporter Polly Perkins (Academy Award® - winner Gwyneth Paltrow*) is on the story and enlists the aid of ace aviator and old flame Joseph "Sky Captain" Sullivan (Academy Award® nominee Jude Law**). Their mission is to find who's behind these killing machines and stop a plot to destroy the world before it's too late.

Co-starring Academy Award® -winner Angelina Jolie*** as the ravishing Franky Cook and Giovanni Ribisi as the technical genius Dex, Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow features innovative state-of-the-art special effects that will thrill and amaze you right through to the action-packed finale.

*Actress in a Leading Role, Shakespeare in Love, 1998.
** Actor in a Leading Role, Cold Mountain, 2003.
*** Actress in a Supporting Role, Girl, Interrupted, 1999.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned
Gag Reel, Original Six Minute Film

My Thoughts:

Oh how I disliked this movie.... let me count the ways.  :thumbdown:

Hey I like CGI and special effects as much as the next person but the entire movie?!?! The only thing that was real in the entire film was the actors and the clothes on their backs. Sure it's a sci-fi flick but it's hard to get into the moment with a digital backdrop throughout the duration.

Some of the technology was neat, like the invading war birds that flapped their wings and the floating 'carriers' adorned with the Union Jack were grand but then others robots of the invading forces looked like little more than giant toasters with arms and legs.  ::)

I normally don't mind Gwyneth Paltrow but I hated her with a passion in this movie. I kept hoping that one of the giant robots would squash her Polly Perkins character and leave her as a bloody pulp of entrails! No such luck. Even the prospect of goggling Angelina Jolie was foiled as she might as well been wearing an Arabic hijab her body was so covered up.... even had a patch over one of her eyes!

I heard bad things about this movie so my expectations were low... apparently not low enough.

KC

Rating:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 11, 2010, 05:24:54 PM »
My sentiments exactly. I remember seeing the trailer for this film before The Return of the King started and I thought to myself, This is going to be a crapfest, and I was right.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 11, 2010, 05:52:25 PM »
Hmm, it's been a couple of years, but I remember kinda liking it. My last rating of 2½ out of 4 puts it slightly above average. I'm not much of a fan of these kind of movies or CGI in general, but IMHO the stylistic concept worked here, because it had been pushed far enough to appear as something unique. And the story was good fun in an oldfashioned way.
Matthias

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #401 on: October 11, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »
I think they tried to pay homage to the sci-fi serials of the 40's where they were corny looking because of the limited resources they had to work with at the time, but to completely artificialize (is that a word?) the film with CGI, it came across as being pompously overproduced.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #402 on: October 11, 2010, 10:25:03 PM »
I feel a little ashamed that I'm not actively participating in the horror marathon that's taking place here. Not being able to confidently commit the time to watch a decent string of horror movies coupled with my obsessive compulsive need to stick with my viewing system makes it hard for me to put forth a worthy effort.  :-[  I will try to get a horror movie or two in before the month ends.

Title:The Nun
Year: 2005
Director: Luis De La Madrid
Rating: R
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Belén Blanco
Oriana Bonet
Anita Briem
Teté Delgado
Natalia Dicenta

Plot:
Years ago, a cruel and merciless nun turned boarding school into a living hell for her students until they could no longer bear the abuse . . . then she mysteriously disappeared. Now the alumnae are being brutally murdered one by one. Feeling a familiar and evil presence, the survivors regroup to save their lives and lay the nun to rest one final time.

Extras:
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I didn't mind this at all. Apart from a few moments of terrible acting I thought it was a fresh concept, some original kills, and it held the story together pretty well right through to the end. An average entry in the horror genre but much better than I was expecting.

KC

Rating:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:58:35 AM by KinkyCyborg »

Rogmeister

« Reply #403 on: October 12, 2010, 01:11:12 AM »
I haven't watched that many horror movies so far myself...only two so far...but there's still time to do better.  We've got 20 days left.

Regarding Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow...I saw it in a theater when it first came out but I can't really recall my feelings for it now.  I do have the DVD so I'll have to check it out.  One thing I liked is there is an image in there of a robot who appeared in one of the Fleischer Superman cartoons, but seen only fleetingly as I recall.  When I do watch the movie, I'll try to catch the Superman cartoon featuring that robot first, to refresh my mind as to what to look for.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #404 on: October 12, 2010, 03:23:14 AM »

Title:Shane
Year: 1952
Director: George Stevens
Rating: NR
Length: 117 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Alan Ladd
Jean Arthur
Van Heflin
Brandon De Wilde
Jack Palance [Walter Jack Palance]

Plot:
Acclaimed director George Stevens' legendary rendition of the quintessential Western myth earned six Academy Award® nominations, and made Shane one of the classics of the American cinema. The story brings Alan Ladd, a drifter and retired gunfighter, to the assistance of a homestead family terrorized by a wealthy cattleman and his hired gun (Jack Palance). In fighting the last decisive battle, Shane sees the end of his own way of life. Mysterious, moody and atmospheric, the film is enhanced by the intense performances of its splendid cast.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

An atypical western story of struggling settlers being muscled off their land by greedy money men. What makes this one special is the compelling storytelling and the performance of Alan Ladd in the the title role as the quietly confident Shane.

This was Alan Ladd's most noteworthy role in his career. I felt he never had another stand out role like he did in Shane which is a true western classic. Another actor who suffered from depression, he attempted suicide in 1962 by shooting himself in the chest, but lived only to die 2 years later of an accidental overdose of alcohol and sedatives. He was only 51. :(

Jack Palance was truly diabolical in his role of the hired gun in this one and I loved how exquisitely evil he was.  :devil:

The ending scene where the young boy Joey, wide-eyed Brandon De Wilde, is crying out to Shane as he rides off into the dark is one of the most memorable moments of classic western cinema.

KC

Rating: