Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315851 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #345 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:13 PM »
I've never been a huge Price fan but I thought he was rather prominent and regal in his cameo.
:o
and you don't even talk about the performance of the great John Carradine :(

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #346 on: September 09, 2010, 02:59:09 AM »
That's because there was nothing noteworthy about his performance. Another omission I made that perhaps was worth mentioning was the early role for Dabney Coleman as a sleazy womanizer. I recognized the voice put couldn't place the face right away.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #347 on: September 09, 2010, 03:02:42 AM »

Title:Teenage Caveman
Year: 2002
Director: Larry Clark
Rating: R
Length: 100 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Andrew Keegan
Tara Subkoff
Richard Hillman
Tiffany Limos
Stephen Jasso

Plot:
Teenage Caveman is a stylishly radical sci-fi thriller starring an impressive cast of up-and-coming actors including Andrew Keegan (O, The Broken Hearts Club: A Romantic Comedy), Tara Subkoff (The Cell, The Last Days of Disco) and Richard Hillman (Detroit Rock City, Bring it On). Controversial director Larry Clark (Kids, Bully) and writer Christos Gag (The Breed) take the horror genre to brave new places with this very original film featuring terrifying special effects. Get ready for a wild unconventional ride into a prehistoric future that you'll never forget!

David (Keegan) is frustrated with the repressive laws of his cave-dwelling tribe. Restless, stubborn and defiant, his attitude problem turns deadly when he is forced to kill the tribe leader, his father, to protect his girlfriend. Now, banished to the dangerous and unexplored zone outside their cave, he and five of his teenage friends quickly discover the "old" world they only dreamed about has evolved without them - into a complex, seductive and ultimately terrifying nightmare beyond their wildest imagination!

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Complete trash. I tried very hard to find something I liked about this movie and came up empty.  :suicide:

KC

Rating:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: September 09, 2010, 03:06:49 AM »
Weird to see that it was directed by the same guy who had directed Kids and Bully :shrug:
BTW if you haven't see them try them, I highly recommand those 2 ;D

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #349 on: September 09, 2010, 03:13:57 AM »
I've never seen Kids but I LOVE Bully. An awesome movie that I am just about due for a re-watch.  :thumbup:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #350 on: September 10, 2010, 04:05:08 AM »

Title:Heathers
Year: 1989
Director: Michael Lehmann
Rating: R
Length: 103 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles:

Stars:
Winona Ryder
Christian Slater
Shannen Doherty
Lisanne Falk
Kim Walker

Plot:
Welcome to Westerburg High, where Veronica Sawyer (Winona Ryder) is beginning to tire of her membership in the powerful yet cruel clique of 'Heathers'. When Veronica falls for the mysterious new kid Jason Dean (Christian Slater), their dislike for the Heathers quickly escalates into a savage cycle of murder, suicide and Slushies. Now that her teenage angst has a body count, are Veronica and JD headed for the prom or hell?

Shannen Doherty co-stars in one of the greatest black comedies of all time, now better than ever and loaded with awesome extras. What's your damage? This is HEATHERS like you've never seen or heard it before!

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned
THX
Screenplay Excerpt: Original Ending, Booklet

My Thoughts:

I was sure I had watched this movie years ago... I mean who hasn't seen Heathers? After it was over I realized this was my first viewing.

Well, it certainly wasn't shy when it came to making a statement. In fact, it's easy to see why this became a cult classic... they made fun of teenage suicide! What better way to get people's attention!!

It started to get a little too silly for my liking after awhile and I thought to myself what kind of movie would it have been had they removed all the comedy elements and made this a serious movie about teenage angst? I think the impact may have been greater than it already was.

Christian Slater was quite the young pup and I get the feeling he was somewhat emulating Jack Nicholson... perhaps without even realizing it.

Wynona Ryder gave a performance that was quite similar to other roles she had around that time... slightly goth, sharp tongued and with a smart ass opinion about everything. Truly, nobody did it better than she did and I kind of miss that from her out of the meager performances we've seen from her lately.

The comedic spin on such a morbid subject was likely groundbreaking, even by late 80's standards. Nowadays nothing is taboo or sacred when it comes to film making. Brokeback Mountain was probably the last film to raise eyebrows.  ???

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #351 on: September 12, 2010, 01:06:01 AM »

Title:Dexter: The First Season
Year: 2006
Director: 1. DexterMichael Cuesta, 2. CrocodileMichael Cuesta, 3. Popping CherryMichael Cuesta, 4. Let's Give the Boy a HandRobert Lieberman, 5. Love American StyleRobert Lieberman, 6. Return to SenderTony Goldwyn, 7. Circle of FriendsSteve Shill, 8. Shrink WrapTony Goldwyn, 9. Father Knows BestAdam Davidson, 10. Seeing RedMichael Cuesta, 11. Truth Be ToldKeith Gordon, 12. Born FreeMichael Cuesta
Rating: NR
Length: 652 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
1. DexterMichael C. Hall
Julie Benz
Jennifer Carpenter
Erik King

Plot:
Led by an amazing performance by Emmy®-nominated actor Michael C. Hall (Six Feet Under), Dexter is one of the most critically acclaimed, must-see television shows of the year! Like no other crime drama you've seen before, this horrifying and intoxicating DVD includes all 12 riveting Season One episodes and a host of delightfully twisted special features.

Episodes:

1. Dexter
2. Crocodile
3. Popping Cherry
4. Let's Give the Boy a Hand
5. Love American Style
6. Return to Sender
7. Circle of Friends
8. Shrink Wrap
9. Father Knows Best
10. Seeing Red
11. Truth Be Told
12. Born Free

Extras:
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
DVD-ROM Content
Closed Captioned
2 episodes of Showtime's "Brotherhood"

My Thoughts:

The wife and I finished this off this morning and are eager to start watching season 2.

Having already been a fan of Michael C. Hall from Six Feet Under, he has elevated his game immensely. He is a chameleon that can seamlessly slide into any role and have it fit like a glove. I'm a bit surprised that he hasn't appeared in more Hollywood productions but given the current success of Dexter I can see why he'd be in no particular rush to do movies and I'm sure the offers are forthcoming.

It was great to see some OZ alumni in this one... David Zayas and Lauren Velez are major players in this series and have been top notch. C.S. Lee as Masuka is a hoot and provides some comic relief.

A couple of characters I'm not so stuck on... Erik King as Doakes. Way over the top and seriously annoying. I can already see where season 2 is going to be heading with Doakes suspicions of Dexter.

Jennifer Carpenter, Hall's real life wife, plays Dexter's cop sister and she kinda irks me. It's likely because of the weird expressions she makes with her mouth. I know it seems shallow to knock an actor/actress simply based on a physical trait but it just rubs me the wrong way. :?

This is my first Showtime series and I have to say, even though it is definitely not tv for kids, it comes across as being the watered down, second fiddle to HBO. Yeah, there's lots of blood and nudity but it lacks the brutality of the Sopranos or OZ. I thought they would show more during the kill scenes, but the camera turns away at the crucial moments. It shows a lack of balls by the show's creators and greatly reduced the WOW factor that I was expecting from the series.

Still, it has been highly entertaining and I'm curious to see how Dexter evolves as he continues on his quest of self-discovery.

:clap:

KC

Rating:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 12, 2010, 02:06:50 AM »
Jennifer Carpenter, Hall's real life wife, plays Dexter's cop sister and she kinda irks me. It's likely because of the weird expressions she makes with her mouth. I know it seems shallow to knock an actor/actress simply based on a physical trait but it just rubs me the wrong way. :?

I mentioned it a few times already, but I completely adore Jennifer Carpenter in this role, especially in the first season. Didn't know the tidbit about Hall and her being married. I'm jealous now.
Matthias

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #353 on: September 12, 2010, 05:34:57 PM »
Her character does have a certain charm hidden under all the profanity and vulgar references she makes. It's just that thing she does with her mouth... I don't know... I just find it distracting. The only other thing that kind of bothered me about her character is how she had to mostly rely on her brother (or others) in order to get her breaks in the case.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #354 on: September 12, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »

Title:Firewalker
Year: 1986
Director: J. Lee Thompson
Rating: PG
Length: 105 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Chuck Norris
Louis Gossett, Jr.
Melody Anderson
Will Sampson
Sonny Landham

Plot:
This smashing, no-holds-barred adventure stars action legend Chuck Norris (Missing in Action) and Oscar® winner* Lou Gossett (An Officer and a Gentleman) as a pair of treasure-hunters with a knack for finding danger at every turn!

After a long career of mishaps, wrong turns and utter failures, archaeological adventurers Max and Leo (Norris and Gossett) are ready to cal it quits...until a spunky blonde beauty with an ancient treasure map hires them to guide her into Central America to find Aztec gold. But as they draw closer to the priceless bounty, they are unaware that a powerful, vengeful spirit is tracking their every move and will stop at nothing to protect the sacred treasure!

*1982: Supporting Actor, An Officer and a Gentleman

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Much like the Allan Quartermain movies did this one also tried to cash in on the success of the Indiana Jones movies. Another adventure quest in search for mythical treasure.

It wasn't a bad movie... some entertaining bits between the mismatched pair of Chuck Norris and Lou Gosset Jr. They just couldn't resist showing the trademark slo-mo roundhouse kick that is in all of Norris' films.

I've always liked Sonny Landham but I'm sure if you asked him he'd tell you he felt quite foolish hamming it up as the big Indian antagonist.

Melody Anderson who played the female lead gave a forgettable performance. I hate it when they pick a chick who is perfect beautiful thinking that will make up for a lack of acting skill.  :thumbdown:

Good way to waste 90 minutes as long as you aren't expecting much.

KC

Rating:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #355 on: September 13, 2010, 04:17:05 AM »
I think I've seen this one on tv.

Oh..and Dexter's sister annoyed me too when I watched the first season.  I don't hate her or anything...but I find it hard to like her.  Maybe I'll feel differently once I watch more of the show.

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 13, 2010, 04:35:25 AM »
Oh..and Dexter's sister annoyed me too when I watched the first season.  I don't hate her or anything...but I find it hard to like her.  Maybe I'll feel differently once I watch more of the show.

I remember. Well, I've been on record here for a while for liking supposedly unlikable characters. Debra, Rachel, Scarlett... I wonder what Karsten thinks who just speed-watched the four seasons of Dexter.
Matthias

Najemikon

« Reply #357 on: September 13, 2010, 01:14:26 PM »
For what its worth I think Dexter's sister is fantastic. My kind of woman! Looks great, wears a gun and has a potty mouth? Makes you wonder what else she can do!

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 13, 2010, 02:27:35 PM »
Makes you wonder what else she can do!
Yeah, I never saw her cook :-X

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #359 on: September 14, 2010, 01:08:26 AM »

Title:Vantage Point
Year: 2008
Director: Pete Travis
Rating: PG-13
Length: 90 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Portuguese: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Thai: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Dennis Quaid
Matthew Fox
Forest Whitaker
Bruce McGill
Edgar Ramirez

Plot:
During an historic counter-terrorism summit in Spain, the President of the United States is struck down by an assassin's bullet. Eight strangers have a perfect view of the kill, but what did they really see? As the minutes leading up to the fatal shot are replayed through the eyes of each eyewitness, the reality of the assassination takes shape. But just when you think you know the answer, the shattering final truth is revealed. VANTAGE POINT is a mindbending political action-thriller starring Dennis Quaid, Matthew Fox, Academy Award® Winner Forest Whitaker (Best Actor 2006, The Last King of Scotland), with Sigourney Weaver and Academy Award® winner William Hurt (Best Actor 1985, Kiss of the Spider Woman).

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Interviews
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Great movie! Couldn't believe it was over so quick.

An assassination attempt as seen from 8 different points of view, hence the title. Seeing the event repeated over and over again got to be a little tedious after awhile but it was necessary to put the pieces together and made for a great climax. One of the best car chase scenes I've seen in a movie in a long while.

And to think I had this one in bluray and traded it away!  ::)

KC

Rating: