Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315955 times)

KinkyCyborg

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #300 on: August 31, 2010, 05:25:07 AM »

Title:The Departed
Year: 2006
Director: Martin Scorsese
Rating: 18A
Length: 151 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.40:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Leonardo DiCaprio
Matt Damon
Jack Nicholson
Mark Wahlberg
Martin Sheen

Plot:
Rookie cop Billy Costigan (Leonardo DiCaprio) grew up in crime. That makes him the perfect mole, the man on the inside of the mob run by boss Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson). It's his job to win Costello's trust and help his detective handlers (Mark Wahlberg and Martin Sheen) bring Costello down. Meanwhile, SIU officer Colin Sullivan (Matt Damon) has everyone's trust. No one suspects he's Costello's mole.

How these covert lives cross, double-cross and collide is at the ferocious core of the widely acclaimed 'The Departed'. Martin Scorcese directs, guiding a cast for the ages in a visceral tale of crime and consequences. This is searing, can't-look-away filmmaking: like staring into the eyes of a con - or a cop - with a gun.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I was dragging my ass around work today because I stayed up about an hour later than I should have last night because once I started watching this, I couldn't stop.  :thumbup:

Scorsese really outdid himself with this one. Intense drama, explosive violence and top notch performances across the board from an all-star cast... plus everyone dies! Moles on both sides, double crosses, and sweet revenge... How could you not love this movie?! Mark Wahlberg in particular was stellar in his role.

The only thing that rather surprised me was the inclusion of Anthony Anderson in the cast, albeit in a minor role. Not that I have anything against him, and I felt he did fine in his limited screen time but he just seemed out of place considering the goofball comedies and low rent action flicks I'm accustomed to seeing him in. He must have been just as surprised to find himself being asked to participate in a movie of this magnitude and I'm sure it'll rank high amongst his career achievements.

I'm so glad I decided to make every 10th movie one I get to pick. I feel stupid for waiting so long to watch a movie of such cinematic importance.  :-[

KC

Rating:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2010, 05:56:56 AM »
I've caught snippets of this film a couple of times now and I definitely want to see it in its entirety.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #302 on: August 31, 2010, 09:16:13 AM »
I saw The Departed in the theater when it first came out.  Definitely worth seeing. 

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 31, 2010, 11:31:38 AM »
The Departed has, well, departed from its source in a few spots and is made different enough to become truly wonderful on its own. I still recommend visiting the original eventually and possibly its two sequels, whcih aren't shabby themselves. (Is it legal to have that many "its" in just two sentences? :laugh:)

Najemikon

« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2010, 07:20:47 PM »
Infernal Affairs is awesome and purely on delivery of that story, superior to The Departed, which makes an excellent job of expanding it nonetheless.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #305 on: September 02, 2010, 05:35:13 AM »
I've yet to watch Internal Affairs yet and sadly don't have it in my collection yet but it is on my wish list.Another much hyped Scorcese movie is in my to-watch pile.. Shutter Island. It has received mixed reviews from the few friends of mine who have already seen it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:29 AM »
I have one movie called Internal Affairs in my collection, but I doubt highly that it's the one that Jon talked about :headscratch:

But who knows maybe it is, since I haven't watch it yet :shrug:

This is the title screen does it look familliar to you Jon? :hmmmm:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:01:25 AM by Jimmy »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #307 on: September 02, 2010, 06:00:46 AM »
I have one movie called Internal Affairs in my collection, but I doubt highly that it's the one that Jon talked about :headscratch:

But who knows maybe it is, since I haven't watch it yet :shrug:

There is another U.S. release by that name with Richard Gere and Andy Garcia but it is a completely different cop movie and story altogether. A decent movie in it's own right.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 02, 2010, 06:02:49 AM »
KC
(click to show/hide)

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #309 on: September 02, 2010, 06:08:09 AM »
Ahh, didn't see the spoiler tag in the post to Jon. That looks like something I'd watch...  :tv:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 02, 2010, 06:20:25 AM »
I probably add it while you were answering :hmmmm:

Najemikon

« Reply #311 on: September 02, 2010, 05:14:42 PM »
 :laugh:

Just so everyone is on the same page, I'm talking about InFernal Affairs, awesome Hong Kong movie. Jimmy is talking about InTernal Affairs, awesome movie with boobies.

:P

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2010, 02:47:32 AM »

Title:Three Men and a Baby
Year: 1987
Director: Leonard Nimoy
Rating: PG
Length: 102 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Tom Selleck
Steve Guttenberg
Ted Danson
Nancy Travis
Margaret Colin

Plot:
Take three of Hollywood's hottest starts (Tom Selleck, Steve Guttenberg, Ted Danson), add one adorable baby girl, and the result is the biggest, funniest comedy hits ever! Three handsome Manhattan bachelors find their dating and mating rituals irreparably damaged when an unexpected new roommate — complete with crib, pacifier, and dirty diaper—shows up on their doorstep. This bouncing bundle of joy is anything but joyous—until the trio's hilarious fathering instincts take over and she becomes "Daddy's Girl" to all three hunks. Blanketed with unexpected story twists and endless laughs, Three Men And A Baby delivers pure enchantment for all!

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

It's hard to believe that these three guys were among the top leading men in the mid-80's given their relative obscurity now. This is a cute movie with some truly funny moments and some touching ones as well. Any parent can relate to how a baby can completely change your lives in ways you'd never think possible.

I've seen this movie before and probably didn't appreciate it as much the first time around as that was back before I had kids of my own. Great directing effort by everyone's favorite Vulcan, Leonard Nimoy. I'm glad I rediscovered this movie again. :)

KC

Rating:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 03, 2010, 04:54:40 AM »
Being French Canadian I prefer the original french version to the american remake. The original was released on dvd 3 years ago, it is oop but you can find it at a reasonable price at amazon canada marketplace. The film is subtitled but I don't think it is a big deal for the majority here.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 04:56:57 AM by Jimmy »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #314 on: September 04, 2010, 05:21:07 AM »
I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I live in a french-Canadian community here and there are a few places I know that while not exclusively dealing in french cinema do have expanded selections of francophone dvds to choose from. Thanks for the recommendation Jimmy.