Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315844 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2010, 07:46:36 AM »
As Jon say KC this is an old debate between him, me and Antares who come back every now and than. I try to rest out of discussion for a while, because I loose my temper relativelly fast on some subject and Tarantino is one of them. I always say thing I regret later because I'm direct when I write (I'm worst than that in live discussion, years of student politics can do it to the best of us), but Jon know me well enough to understand when I go too far and stop reading me.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2010, 03:13:46 PM »
It's all good guys!  ;D  I've been known to get carried away myself in the heat of the moment too so I know where you are coming from.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #182 on: July 09, 2010, 05:16:43 PM »

Title:The Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!
Year: 1988
Director: David Zucker
Rating: PG-13
Length: 84 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Leslie Nielsen
Priscilla Presley
Ricardo Montalban
George Kennedy
O. J. Simpson

Plot:
Those screw-loose 'Airplane!' creators have done it again! Leslie Nielsen stars as Police Squad's own granite-jawed, rock brained cop Frank Drebin, who bumbles across a mind control scheme to assassinate Queen Elizabeth. Priscilla Presley, O.J. Simpson, a stuffed beaver, two baseball teams and an odd assortment of others join the wacko goings-on and blow the laugh-o-meter to smithereens.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Now this is more like it! Some classic lines from this movie and still hilarious even after 22 years. The Airplane movies and this series made Leslie Neilsen's career. Unfortunately they went a little too far, overusing him and typecasting him in these types of movies. Spy Hard, Wrongfully Accused, Dracula Dead And Loving It were never as funny as the Naked Gun series.

It's funny how no matter how many times you watch a movie (must be at least a dozen times for this one) you still pick up on things you didn't notice before. This time I noticed that the Mayor was played by Nancy Marchand, a.k.a. Tony Soprano's mother! Who knew!?  ???

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2010, 01:16:14 AM »

Title:The Detective
Year: 1968
Director: Gordon Douglas
Rating: NR
Length: 114 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Frank Sinatra
Lee Remick
Ralph Meeker
Jack Klugman
Horace McMahon

Plot:
When the son of a politically influential man is brutally murdered, thick-skinned detective Joe Leland (Frank Sinatra) is assigned to the case. His job becomes even more challenging when he must convince the entire police department to see past the victim's sexuality. After the dead man's roommate is convicted, and Leland moves on to his next case, it appears as though the two cases are linked and the wrong man may have been penalized. With an all-star cast that includes Lee Remick, Tony Musante and Jack Klugman, THE DETECTIVE is one of Sinatra's most gritty and powerful films.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

I've never particularly liked Frank Sinatra.... his music or his acting, with perhaps one exception, Von Ryan's Express which I really enjoyed him in. Ocean's 11 I liked but not because of anything to do with his performance. Everything I've ever seen or read about the man leads me to believe he was the most arrogant celebrity of his time.

Surprising subject matter for The Detective considering the year this was made which made it an interesting watch, although it painfully dragged at times. Sinatra looked bored throughout the film and showed absolutely no range of emotion at all. Jacqueline Bisset is stunning... never seen her with short cropped hair before and daddy likes! ;) Lee Remick on the other hand looked like a creepy Stepford Wife... not my cup of tea. Bit parts for Robert Duvall and Jack Klugman.

Was ok, but one watch is enough.

KC

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2010, 07:07:10 AM »
Now this is more like it! Some classic lines from this movie and still hilarious even after 22 years. The Airplane movies and this series made Leslie Neilsen's career. Unfortunately they went a little too far, overusing him and typecasting him in these types of movies. Spy Hard, Wrongfully Accused, Dracula Dead And Loving It were never as funny as the Naked Gun series.
I may be remember them wrong, but I think it's all about how you handle the actor. What I mean is, like with Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black. If the otherwise serious actor takes everything in the film for serious and you only have funny stuff happen around him, that will make it funnier. If you ask the serious actor to be funny, you are likely to fail.

Najemikon

« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2010, 01:07:24 PM »
It's also the gags. I watched Airplane! only the other night myself for what must be the hundredth time. You can feel they have a relentless enthusiasm for the jokes that they come easy. Once you're past the Naked Gun films, they are struggling and doing spoofs for the sake of spoofs. I know everyone seems to like Scary Movie, but it was shit and so obvious compared to Airplane!.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2010, 03:18:25 PM »
It's also the gags. I watched Airplane! only the other night myself for what must be the hundredth time. You can feel they have a relentless enthusiasm for the jokes that they come easy. Once you're past the Naked Gun films, they are struggling and doing spoofs for the sake of spoofs. I know everyone seems to like Scary Movie, but it was shit and so obvious compared to Airplane!.

I liked the first two Scary Movie installments especially part 2... the opening spoofs on The Exorcist with James Woods as the priest and the dinner scene with Chris Elliot as Hanson serving the food were priceless.  :laugh:  After those ones the franchise went quickly downhill. Epic, Disaster, Date, Superhero.... all crap.  :yucky:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2010, 03:49:59 PM »
I know everyone seems to like Scary Movie, but it was shit and so obvious compared to Airplane!.
I don't like them, but of course I ain't everyone ;D
I like Top Secret more than Airplane, I just can't stop laughing watching it (even if I've seen this more than 100 times since it's original released) wich is something that very few films succeed to do with me.

Najemikon

« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2010, 03:51:30 PM »
Oh yeah, I liked Top Secret too! Haven't seen that for years.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2010, 06:22:21 PM »

Title:Unknown
Year: 2006
Director: Simon Brand
Rating: 14A
Length: 85 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: 5.1
Subtitles: Spanish

Stars:
Jim Caviezel
Greg Kinnear
Bridget Moynahan
Joe Pantoliano
Barry Pepper

Plot:
Academy Award nominee Greg Kinnear (Little Miss Sunshine, The Matador) and Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ) head an all-star casr in this riveting psychological thriller in the vein of The Usual Suspects and Memento.

Five Strangers wake up in a locked warehouse with no memory of who they are or how they got there. As secrets are revealed and clues unravelled, they must race against time to figure out who is good and who is evil in order to stay alive.

Also starring Bridget Moynahan (I, Robot), Joe Pantoliano (The Sopranos), Barry Pepper (Saving Private Ryan), Jeremy Sisto (Six Feet Under) and Peter Stormare (Prison Break).

Extras:
Scene Access
Deleted Scenes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Another one of those films with more twists than a giant pretzel. Excellent cast and decent action even if some (most!) of the story was quite implausible. I would have liked to have seen Jeremy Sisto with a more meaningful role in this one...he just hangs there, chained with handcuffs throughout the duration of the movie. Always felt he was an underrated actor who doesn't get enough big screen time. Very much enjoyed him in Six Feet Under. Greg Kinnear was a bit over the top in this one, which I didn't mind as you don't normally see his characters so wild and out of control.

Not bad at all. :)

KC

Rating:

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 11, 2010, 05:02:34 AM »
I think I may have seen Unknown at the cinema. It was quite entertaining indeed and I would rate it the same as you.

Jeremy Sisto was quite creepy in Six Feet Under...

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #191 on: July 11, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
Jeremy Sisto was quite creepy in Six Feet Under...

Indeed, his character was quite screwed up.  :stars:  I thought he was quite compelling to watch though, always wondering what he was going to do next. I think his demeanor lends well to those type of unbalanced characters.

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 11, 2010, 05:22:05 AM »
Indeed, his character was quite screwed up.  :stars:  I thought he was quite compelling to watch though, always wondering what he was going to do next. I think his demeanor lends well to those type of unbalanced characters.
Yes and yes.

First time I saw him was in Hideaway, where he, you guessed it, played another unhinged guy.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:23:37 AM by Achim »

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #193 on: July 11, 2010, 05:26:31 AM »
Indeed, his character was quite screwed up.  :stars:  I thought he was quite compelling to watch though, always wondering what he was going to do next. I think his demeanor lends well to those type of unbalanced characters.
Yes and yes.

First time I saw him was in Hideaway, where he, you guessed it, played another unhinged guy.

Haven't seen that one but it's now on my wish list as I've always been an admirer of Christine Lahti...  :thumbup:   :thanks: for the recommendation!

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #194 on: July 11, 2010, 06:52:46 AM »

Title:The White Countess
Year: 2005
Director: James Ivory
Rating: PG-13
Length: 138 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, French

Stars:
Ralph Fiennes
Natasha Richardson
Vanessa Redgrave
Hiroyuki Sanada
Lynn Redgrave

Plot:
In this final collaboration between legendary producer Ismail Merchant and director James Ivory, three time Oscar® nominees for best picture and best director (A Room With A View, 1986; Howard's End, 1993; The Remains Of The Day, 1994) China provides the backdrop for this drama of exile, longing and love's triumph over adversity, written by the prize winning author Kazuo Ishiguro (The Remains Of The Day).

The White Countess takes place in the glamorous, corrupt and boomtown atmosphere of 30s Shanghai that is soon to be swept away by advancing Japanese armies and civil war. At its center is the blind American diplomat Todd Jackson played by Ralph Fiennes, two time Oscar® nominee (Best Actor, The English Patient, 1997; Best Supporting Actor, Schindler's List, 1994) and Sofia Belinskaya played by Natasha Richardson (Patty Hearst, Maid In Manhattan), a refugee Russian aristocrat making a living in a taxi dancehall and as an occasional prostitute. Jackson, aided by his mysterious Japanese friend, the spy Matsuda (Hiroyuki Sanada: Twilight Samurai; The Last Samurai), opens a successful nightclub and installs the countess Sofia as its centerpiece.

In the spectacular mass exodus from the city which is the climax of the film, Sofia is abandoned by her in laws, played by the Redgrave sisters, multiple nominee Vanessa (Vera Belinskaya, Oscar® winner, Julia, Best Supporting Actress, 1978) and Lynn (aunt Olga, two time Oscar® nominee, Best Actress, George Girl, 1967; Best Supporting Actress, Gods & Monsters, 1999), who secretly try to flee with Sofia's small daughter, Katya.

In the end mother and daughter are reunited, as Sofia and Jackson, realizing their growing love for each other escape with Katya to the safety of Macao.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Featurettes

My Thoughts:

Had another one of those hectic weeks and it took me most of it to watch this movie... partly because I only could find 15 or 20 minute snippets of time to sit and watch TV and partly because the movie was largely a bore.

It was a time piece set in 30's China during risings tensions with Japan. That premise piqued my interest before I started watching it but that aspect of the film didn't manifest until it was almost over. The focus was of a blind American whose dream was to own and run a nightclub with the help of an exiled Russian countess.

Ralph Fiennes, whom I admire as an actor, played said blind man but he somewhat overplayed the role, often looking like a child fumbling about while pretending to be blind. With all due respect to the late Natasha Richardson, I have never thought of her as a leading lady and this movie did not change that opinion.

This could have had potential but the storytelling was delivered with about as much panache as reading the instructions for my dishwasher. :(

KC

Rating: