Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315301 times)

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
I enjoyed Crossroads, expecially the music!
(click to show/hide)

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2010, 10:09:35 PM »
I love that version of Crossroads too Kathy. Seen it half a dozen times and it never gets old.  :thumbup:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2010, 11:42:34 PM »

Title:Tootsie
Year: 1982
Director: Sydney Pollack
Rating: PG
Length: 116 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, French: Dolby Digital: Mono
Subtitles: Chinese, English, French, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai

Stars:
Dustin Hoffman
Jessica Lange
Teri Garr
Dabney Coleman
Charles Durning

Plot:
Michael Dorsey is a talented actor, but his demanding nature and stubborn temperament have antagonized every producer in New York. Now his agent insists no one will hire him. But Michael needs money -- eight thousand dollars to be exact -- and to earn it, he's willing to play the role of a lifetime.

Dustin Hoffman stars with Jessica Lange, Teri Garr, Dabney Coleman, Charles Durning, Bill Murray and Geena Davis in director Sydney Pollack's heart-filled classic that heralded a new era of Hollywood wig-flipping, and set a new standard for unpredictable laugh-out-loud comedy.

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Can you believe this is the first time I ever watched this movie?

Dustin Hoffman shows you why he has won Oscars... He has the ability to truly envelope himself in his role. At times you forget he is only pretending to be a woman!

The movie is a bit dated but it has truly great and funny moments. I don't think I've ever seen Bill Murray so subdued in ANY movie. Geena Davis is smokin' hot! :o

Two thumbs up!

KC

Rating:

Critter

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2010, 12:58:24 AM »
I really want to see this film becuase of the countless references to it in one of my favourite shows at the moment, 30 Rock. Your review just makes me want to watch it even more.  :thumbup:

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2010, 01:31:41 AM »
I haven't seen it in years, but Tootsie is a wonderful movie.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2010, 01:36:46 AM »
I have to admit, that I have never seen it. But your review makes me curious.

Najemikon

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2010, 02:03:44 AM »
Tom, I never thought before, but really, Tootsie I'm sure is just your sort of film.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2010, 12:33:03 AM »

Title:To Kill a Mockingbird
Year: 1962
Director: Robert Mulligan
Rating: NR
Length: 130 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, French: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Other: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Gregory Peck
Mary Badham
Phillip Alford
Robert Duvall
John Megna

Plot:
Gregory Peck won an Oscar for his brilliant performance as the Southern lawyer who defends a black man accused of rape in this film version of the Pulitzer Prize winning novel. The setting is a dusty Southern town during the Depression. A white woman accuses a black man of rape. Though he is obviously innocent, the outcome of his trial is such a foregone conclusion that no lawyer will step forward to defend him - except Peck, the town's most distinguished citizen. His compassionate defense costs him many friendships but earns him the respect and admiration of his two motherless children.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Production Notes
Closed Captioned
Documentary - Fearful Symmetry 90 min

My Thoughts:

I've watched this movie more times than I can remember and it still captivates every time. Gregory Peck's finest performance out of many great roles over the years. Outstanding portrayal of a man standing up for what is right despite an overwhelming atmosphere of prejudice. Very heavy subject matter for that era in film making.

The characters of Atticus, Scout, Jem and Boo Radley are synonymous with classic cinema.

#52 on IMDB's Top 250 Movies of all time.... should be higher.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056592/

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2010, 02:50:59 AM »

Title:Saturday Night Live: The Best Of Phil Hartman
Year: 2004
Director: Beth McCarthy, Paul Miller, Dave Wilson, James Signorelli, Tom Schiller
Rating: NR
Length: 84 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Phil Hartman
Dana Carvey
Jan Hooks
Sting
Chris Rock

Plot:
They called him "the glue" of Saturday Night Live - the man who held it all together. Phil Hartman was one of the most respected performers ever in SNL history. See why in this hilarious look at his eight memorable years on the show. You'll see the best of Frank Sinatra, Bill Clinton, Anal Retentive Chef, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer and many more. Plus there's extra material, including scenes that were cut after Dress Rehearsal and never seen until now.

Sketches Included:

Perot And Stiockdale Driving
The Sinatra Group (Featuring Sting)
Compulsion Commerical
Bill Clinton At McDonald's (Featuring Tom Arnold)
Donahue
Discover With Peter Graves
Nancy Reagan And Barbara Bush
Reagan In The White House
Sketch Montage # 1
Unfrozen Cave Man Lawyer
Weekend Update: All-Drug Olympics
Acting Class
Hollywood 1947
Cooking With The Anal-Retentive Chef
Succinctly Speaking With Tonto, Tarzan, and Frankenstein
Sketch Montage # 2
On Broadway
Robot Repair
Anne Boleyn (Featuring Candice Bergen)
"Love Is A Dream"

Bonus Sketch
Uncle John Redcording Session

Extras:
Scene Access
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Gallery
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

His Bill Clinton bits were the funniest. A home grown Canadian boy, it's a shame he had to die before his time, especially under such tragic circumstances.  :weep: Beyond his SNL work I enjoyed him in Jingle All the Way, Coneheads and his voice-over work in The Simpsons. I have a bunch more of these SNL dvds to watch so expect some more reviews down the road.

KC

Rating:

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2010, 05:59:44 AM »
A home grown Canadian boy, it's a shame he had to die before his time, especially under such tragic circumstances.  :weep:
Even more when we know that an idiot like Andy Dick was responsible for this. He was the one who restarted the drug problem of Brynn Hartman after many years of withdrawal by giving her cocaine. The worst he had brag about this very often to the point that John Lovitz gave him the beating of his life.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2010, 06:46:24 AM »
A home grown Canadian boy, it's a shame he had to die before his time, especially under such tragic circumstances.  :weep:
Even more when we know that an idiot like Andy Dick was responsible for this. He was the one who restarted the drug problem of Brynn Hartman after many years of withdrawal by giving her cocaine. The worst he had brag about this very often to the point that John Lovitz gave him the beating of his life.

Andy Dick got her back on drugs?  I don't remember hearing that..or that Lovitz beat him up.  Though if Dick was actually bragging about it, he deserved it.  He is such a ass...and a dick.  His name fits perfectly.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2010, 06:54:37 AM »

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2010, 07:09:18 AM »
Geeze.  I hadn't heard that before.  What an ass.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2010, 12:27:40 AM »

While I did know that it was a drug addiction that led to the murder-suicide I didn't know the circumstances leading up to it. Andy Dick has always been a despicable person so I'm really not surprised by this. Kudos to Jon Lovitz for giving him a whack or three...  I didn't think Jon would have it in him, mind you it wouldn't take much to throw Andy Dick around.

KC

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2010, 12:35:39 AM »

Title:Slow Burn
Year: 2005
Director: Wayne Beach
Rating: R
Length: 93 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Ray Liotta
LL Cool J [James Todd Smith]
Mekhi Phifer
Jolene Blalock
Guy Torry

Plot:
Ray Liotta stars as Ford Cole, a big-city district attorney with his eye on the mayor's office and a big problem on his hands. One of his deputies has just confessed to killing a man in what she claims was self-defense. A bad situation gets worse when an enigmatic stranger named Luther Pinks (LL Cool J) turns up at the police station to contradict her story. With his career and perhaps his life on the line, Ford has a mere handful of hours to sort the truth from the lies.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Closed Captioned
Trivia Track

My Thoughts:

More twists and turns than a game of snakes and ladders, but in this case it does little to add to the suspense... just leaves the person watching rather bewildered. Watching LL Cool J trying to play cool is laughable.  :hysterical: Not great, but worth a watch if not just to see Jolene Blalock who is one gorgeous looking woman!    :drooling:

KC

Rating:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:38:17 AM by KinkyCyborg »