Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315310 times)

KinkyCyborg

Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #660 on: February 15, 2011, 04:20:10 AM »
I, Robot

Title:I, Robot
Year: 2004
Director: Alex Proyas
Rating: PG-13
Length: 115 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 2.35:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: DTS: 5.1, French: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Will Smith
Bridget Moynahan
Alan Tudyk
James Cromwell (1940)
Bruce Greenwood

Plot:
Superstar Will Smith rages against the machines in this mindblowing, sci-fi action thriller! When a scientist (James Cromwell) is found dead, robophobic detective Del Spooner (Smith) suspects an advanced robot committed the murder. According to the Three Laws of Robotics, however, a robot can't harm a human - but rules were meant to be broken! This suspenseful tale of the future questions whether technology will ultimately lead to mankind's salvation...or annihilation.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery

My Thoughts:

Bluray #3.... I, Robot.

This movie looks fabulous in hi-def!  :thumbup: Given the amount of sustained action scenes I was worried about motion blur with this movie more so than the other 2 that I watched before but I didn't really notice it which is reassuring going forward into my bluray experience.

I was and still am a big fan of Isaac Asimov's novels, his vision of the future, and his Robot series which was among his finest moments. I also enjoyed his Foundation series. While the movie does deviate from the book, severely in some cases, it does still preserve the principle concept of a world slowly dehumanizing and the 3 laws of robots which prove flawed and with deadly consequences.

Will Smith is suitably wound up to take on the robots given his unabashed prejudice towards them. He nicely meshes fierce consternation with comedic quips keeping his character, Spooner, centered. I forgot or didn't realize that Shia Lebouf was in this. He was still a nobody I think when I first watched this and I wish he still was. If a robot were to break the 3 laws to kill a human it should have been for him. :voodoo:

While this movie is pure science fiction it does leave us keeping a wary eye on technology. Although, it'd be nice to have a robot to work on my wife's 'honeydew' list that she is always waving in front of my face...  ;)

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #661 on: February 21, 2011, 12:24:45 AM »
The Lords Of Flatbush

Title:The Lords Of Flatbush
Year: 1974
Director: Stephen Verona, Martin Davidson
Rating: PG
Length: 84 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1, Pan & Scan 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: Chinese, English, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Other

Stars:
Perry King
Sylvester Stallone
Henry Winkler (1945)
Paul Mace
Susan Blakely

Plot:
Before "Rocky" was a knock-out, before "the Fonz" was TV's "leader of the pack". two unknown actors named Sylvester Stallone and Henry Winkler starred in their first major screen roles. Soon they'd rule the box office and the airwaves, but before they were kings, they were THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH.

Clad in blue jeans, black leather jackets and bad attitudes, Stanley (Stallone), Butchey (Winkler), Chico (Perry King) and Wimpy (Paul Mace) are a 1950s Brooklyn "gang" of four cool, sexy rebels. Despite their tough appearance, these boys just want to have fun, but reality - a.k.a. adulthood - rears its ugly head when Stanley's steady informs him they have to get married, and bule collar Chico falls for a beautiful blonde (Susan Blakely) from the right side of the tracks. A high-octane cruise down memory lane. THE LORDS OF FLATBUSH is "immensely appealing, often hilarious, suprisingly touching and superbly acted." (The Hollywood Reporter)

Extras:
Scene Access
Feature Trailers
Production Notes
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Don't light a match near their heads... you'll start a grease fire!!  :laugh:

My wife decided to watch this with me as she always liked watching Happy Days with 'The Fonz'... Henry Winkler looked exactly like the TV character he would portray for many years but really had limited screen time in this film as it followed two parallel stories centered on Sylvester Stallone and Perry King.

It was dated but entertaining, much like an extended episode of Sha-Na-Na with all it's doo-wop music. My favorite line from this one... "Stanley... I'm pregnant. The rubber band didn't work."  :hysterical: I was laughing my ass off.

They don't get much more macho than these slick, rough and tumble 'Lords'. Hell there was so much testosterone exuding from this movie by the time it was over my wife was growing chest hair.

I'm so glad she doesn't read my reviews...  :tomato:

KC

Rating:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #662 on: February 22, 2011, 04:36:47 AM »
Tideland

Title:Tideland
Year: 2006
Director: Terry Gilliam
Rating: R
Length: 120 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Jodelle Ferland
Janet McTeer
Brendan Fletcher
Jennifer Tilly
Jeff Bridges

Plot:
Jeliza-Rose, a young girl (Jodelle Ferland) is forced to live in a terrifying and gruesome world. After her mother dies, her father (Four-Time OscarĀ®-Nominee Jeff Bridges) takes her away to a desolate farmhouse. In order to escape the harsh reality of her childhood, she drifts into a bizarre fantasy world where only her dolls' heads keep her company. The line between her imagination and reality quickly disappears when she meets a mentally damaged man and a mysterious ghost-like woman who share in her adventures. Tideland is a spine-chilling tale from the visionary mind of acclaimed director Terry Gilliam.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Closed Captioned
Introduction from Terry Gilliam

My Thoughts:

Very bizarre and at times disturbing film involving a young girl and her wild imagination. I still don't know what to think of this film but I can't say I wasn't warned. I was warned by none other than director Terry Gilliam himself who, in an introduction to the movie, very succinctly states that this movie is not for everyone and many will hate it. He also gave this warning in person to the viewing audience at the Toronto International Film Festival where it premiered in 2005. Now that could be interpreted as defiance of his creativity or a means of generating interest in the film to raise box office sales... perhaps both.

There were several scenes that will stay with me for weeks now thanks to a grotesque combination of sexuality, death and moments of sheer inappropriate behavior involving the little girl... and still, the innocence of that resilient young girl shines through as she copes with derelict parents, their untimely deaths, hunger, fear and isolation. Her imagination helps to both reassure and explain the tragic goings on of her sad little life.

Brendan Fletcher gives a marvelous performance as the handicapped but friendly neighbor who befriends the young girl. It is some of the interactions between these two that will leave you squeamish. Jeff bridges, the young girls father is solid in a role that mostly consists of sitting in a chair, a bloated corpse.

Gilliam certainly stretched the boundaries of incongruous behavior in Tideland but that's always been his makeup. I'd like to know from others who have seen the film if you think he went too far or not. Personally I don't think he did but I know many will be sickened with this film. This movie was a shock to my system and I give it high marks for that at least.

KC

Rating:

Mustrum_Ridcully

« Reply #663 on: February 22, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »
Thanks for this review,

being something like a Gilliam-addict I had this on my "probably interesting"-list.
It just got an upgrade to "Must Have".

Rogmeister

« Reply #664 on: February 22, 2011, 04:45:11 PM »
While I enjoy these reviews, I wonder if Kinky realizes it's not 2010 anymore?  Still writing 2010 on your checks?  :tease:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: February 23, 2011, 05:19:04 AM »
Tideland... I'd like to know from others who have seen the film if you think he went too far or not.

I think it is a wonderful film that at times leaves you uncomfortable, but never is exploitative. The widely negative critical reactions to it have always baffled me.
Matthias

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #666 on: February 27, 2011, 02:15:09 PM »
While I enjoy these reviews, I wonder if Kinky realizes it's not 2010 anymore?  Still writing 2010 on your checks?  :tease:

To be honest I never even thought of it.  I'll never be accused of being the most observant of fellows...  :-[

I hereby declare this thread closed!!

KC

memphis77

« Reply #667 on: June 17, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »
I really wanna watch this movie! I need to get it!
much was talked about this movie DOUBT  i watched it and found it to be abso;utly boring and unispired. We all know where it was leading to from the start.