Author Topic: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010  (Read 315287 times)

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KinkyCyborg's Random Reviews 2010
« Reply #465 on: November 01, 2010, 11:38:31 PM »
Yet when directors like Scorcese and Eastwood win those Oscars they manage to stay grounded, then go out and do it again.

I don't know if you can quantify Scorcese with Eastwood in terms of post-Oscar success. Eastwood has released Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby and Letters from Iwo Jima since his first win. While Scorcese has really only released Shutter Island, which, from the reviews I've read, wasn't that good.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 01, 2010, 11:42:21 PM »
I too liked this movie and have trouble understanding why others don't.

Because it is overly pretentious, has enough filler to make a Washington politician proud, moves at a snail's pace and gives you characters that aren't for one moment, sympathetic.

Najemikon

« Reply #467 on: November 02, 2010, 12:20:20 AM »
Yet when directors like Scorcese and Eastwood win those Oscars they manage to stay grounded, then go out and do it again.

I don't know if you can quantify Scorcese with Eastwood in terms of post-Oscar success. Eastwood has released Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby and Letters from Iwo Jima since his first win. While Scorcese has really only released Shutter Island, which, from the reviews I've read, wasn't that good.

Funny you should say that! I have a review of Shutter Island I forgot to post.  :slaphead: Watch my Horror thread for it, as it had enough thriller elements to warrant inclusion, which is what I thought two weeks ago when I watched the bloomin' thing.  :bag:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #468 on: November 02, 2010, 12:53:19 AM »

Only one win for Scorcese but he's been a bride's maid many times, with some movies that could be argued as the more deserving winner. He's been right there for Goodfellas, The Aviator, Last Temptation Of Christ, Raging Bull and Gangs Of New York. That many Oscar noms in the Best Picture & Director category would be considered largely successful in most circles as well, despite the lack of wins.

Jury is still out for me on Shutter Island... still in my to watch pile.  ::)

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #469 on: November 02, 2010, 01:03:29 AM »
The Grapes Of Wrath

Title:The Grapes of Wrath
Year: 1940
Director: John Ford
Rating: NR
Length: 129 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo, English: Dolby Digital: Mono, Spanish: Dolby Digital: Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital: 2-Channel Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Henry Fonda
Jane Darwell
John Carradine
Charley Grapewin
Dorris Bowdon

Plot:
This remarkable film version of John Steinbeck's novel was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Actor (Henry Fonda), Film Editing, Sound and Writing. John Ford won the Best Director Oscar and Jane Darwell won Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of Ma Joad, the matriarch of the struggling migrant farmer family.

Following a prison term he served for manslaughter, Tom Joad returns to find his family homestead overwhelmed by weather and the greed of the banking industry. With little work potential on the horizon of the Oklahoma dust bowls, the entire family packs up and heads for the promised land – California. but the arduous trip and harsh living conditions they encounter offer little hope, and family unity proves as daunting a challenge as any other they face.

Extras:
Scene Access
Audio Commentary
Feature Trailers
Featurettes
Gallery
Production Notes
Outtakes/Bloopers
Closed Captioned
Restoration Comparison, UK Prologue

My Thoughts:

Screen adaptation of the classic John Steinbeck novel. The movie is a classic as well.

Telling the story of desolate sharecroppers in the dustbowl of Oklahoma who set out for California with the promise of work and better times. Upon reaching the land of 'milk and honey' they quickly and painfully discover that the milk is sour and the honeypot is full of flies. :(

This is a powerful movie of extremes. We see both the worst of inhumanity in people and the pinnacle of compassion in others.

A very young, gangly Henry Fonda play the contemptuous Tom Joad, a man who can barely contain his rage at the cruelty and hardships he and his family must endure. His performance was excellent but as good as he was the true star of this film was Jane Darwell as Ma Joad, the pure embodiment of hope and spirit... she's the glue that keeps the family together and keeps them going. Her closing words to end the film were truly inspirational and she was most deserving of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar she received in 1940 for this role.

For any man, woman or child who has ever bitched and complained about how hard they have it... they should watch this movie.

KC

Rating:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:01:10 AM by KinkyCyborg »

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 02, 2010, 01:04:39 AM »
Only one win for Scorcese but he's been a bride's maid many times, with some movies that could be argued as the more deserving winner. He's been right there for Goodfellas, The Aviator, Last Temptation Of Christ, Raging Bull and Gangs Of New York.

Sorry, but can include Gangs of New York or The Aviator. The former was overly long and a bit over the top at times, while the latter was a prime example of Scorcese caring more about how the film looked as opposed to how well the screenplay gelled and that the actors show thespian restraint.

That many Oscar noms in the Best Picture & Director category would be considered largely successful in most circles as well, despite the lack of wins.

But I also think Scorcese, at times, benefits from idol worship that is not warranted. One problem I have with a lot of his films, is just what I mentioned above in regards to The Aviator. Sure his films look great and he really wants to be lauded as the Welles/Toland heir to cinematographic innovation, but his films can be aimless at times.

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 02, 2010, 01:15:02 AM »

Rating:

This for me, is the quintessential John Ford film. When Ford made films about the struggles of man, as opposed to his famous horse operas, he tended to keep on the straight and narrow of storytelling. His penchant for corny side plots and hackneyed moments never arises.

It's a shame that the Hays code was in effect when this was made. It would have been interesting to see how Ford would have dealt with the scene in the book where Rose of Sharon feeds the starving farmer with her breast milk. That was one of the most poignant moments in the story.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #472 on: November 02, 2010, 01:18:01 AM »
I'd agree with you on The Aviator... so much focus was put on emulating the look and feel of that era that the story often went off on wild tangents that were mostly unnecessary.

Gangs Of New York... I had no problem with the length of the movie and the characters were so rich and engaging. Daniel Day Lewis's performance might be considered over the top but I think that was quite intentional in order to drive home the point of how this man believed in no uncertain terms that he was The Man of the Five Points. I liked that movie so much that I can even forgive the silly inclusion of Cameron Diaz.  ???

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: November 02, 2010, 01:34:42 AM »
I'd agree with you on The Aviator... so much focus was put on emulating the look and feel of that era that the story often went off on wild tangents that were mostly unnecessary.

Not only tangents, but historical inaccuracies. He's building the Spruce Goose and the XF-11 at the time he's dating Faith Domergue and Ava Gardner. In the film, Domergue tells him that she's 15 years old. But Domergue was born in 1924, making the year 1939 when she meets Hughes. Three years before either plane was commissioned for development by the U.S. government. Ava Gardner was an unknown uncredited actress in 1942, and would not find fame until 1946 in The Killers.

If you're going to make an historical biopic, you should do a little fact checking.  :thumbdown:

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #474 on: November 02, 2010, 01:35:55 AM »

Rating:
It's a shame that the Hays code was in effect when this was made. It would have been interesting to see how Ford would have dealt with the scene in the book where Rose of Sharon feeds the starving farmer with her breast milk. That was one of the most poignant moments in the story.

Even the mere suggestion of such a thing on film in those days would have never seen the light of day. Remember when Archie Bunker did the diaper change on All In The Family and they showed the naked baby? There was such a stink over that...  :laugh: Still, I too would be interested too see what Ford would have done for that particular scene.

The censors from those bygone days would blow a bowel if they flipped on the TV today.  :bag:

Offline Antares

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 02, 2010, 01:39:10 AM »
Even the mere suggestion of such a thing on film in those days would have never seen the light of day. Remember when Archie Bunker did the diaper change on All In The Family and they showed the naked baby? There was such a stink over that...  :laugh: Still, I too would be interested too see what Ford would have done for that particular scene.

This why I've always been a big fan of Pre-Code Hollywood films. For a short 4 year window, they made real films that pushed the envelope.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #476 on: November 02, 2010, 01:43:56 AM »

Not only tangents, but historical inaccuracies. He's building the Spruce Goose and the XF-11 at the time he's dating Faith Domergue and Ava Gardner. In the film, Domergue tells him that she's 15 years old. But Domergue was born in 1924, making the year 1939 when she meets Hughes. Three years before either plane was commissioned for development by the U.S. government. Ava Gardner was an unknown uncredited actress in 1942, and would not find fame until 1946 in The Killers.

If you're going to make an historical biopic, you should do a little fact checking.  :thumbdown:

Well, you know that when a movie is made on such a grandiose scale with much time devoted to the dazzling visual effects that everyone will be talking about when the movie is over, it's hard to find time to squeeze in some important tidbits called 'facts'. Also trying to jam in a lifetime into a two and a half hour window you know accuracy is always going to be the first casualty.

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #477 on: November 03, 2010, 12:59:13 AM »
The Wool Cap

Title:The Wool Cap
Year: 2004
Director: Steven Schachter
Rating: PG-13
Length: 91 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital: 5.1, English: Dolby Digital: Dolby Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
William H. Macy
Don Rickles
Ned Beatty
Keke Palmer
Catherine O'Hara

Plot:
William H. Macy ('Focus') stars in this inspiring family drama based upon the original story "Gigot" written by legendary entertainer Jackie Gleason. Broken water pipes and busted doors are all part of a day's work for Gigot (Macy) the gruff, mute superintendent of a crumbling urban apartment building. But in the space of one fateful year, he'll discover there are some things that can't be fixed with duct tape and power tools: things and people that can only be made whole again with the power of love and forgiveness. Also starring Ned Beatty ('Network'), Catherine O'Hara ('Orange County') and Don Rickles. 'The Wool Cap' introduces the remarkable Keke Palmer as an abandoned youngster who steals - and helps mend - Gigot's heart!

Extras:
Scene Access
Closed Captioned

My Thoughts:

Heartfelt story about a mute superintendent who gets saddled with a young black girl and becomes her unwilling guardian. As time passes and he learns that the young girl's mother died of an overdose, he becomes more attached to the girl and looks to at worst, foster her and at best adopt her.

William H. Macy was superb as the mute... given that he never uttered a word of dialogue throughout the movie makes it that much more a special performance. His character, battling his own demons, alcohol and mistakes from his past, looks at this young girl as a chance at redemption.

Keke Palmer, from Akeelah & The Bee fame shines as the young girl, full of smarts and even more attitude. What seems like an unlikely match at first has you rooting for them as they overcome many obstacles in their quest to become a family.

I really enjoyed this as I suspected I would being a sucker for the feel good movies. With equal moments of despair and triumph, more than a few times I found myself with a lump in my throat.

Highly recommended for the whole family.

I shall be revealing a surprise with my next review.... :o

KC

Rating:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:01:56 AM by KinkyCyborg »

Offline Kathy

• Super Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 03, 2010, 01:49:03 AM »
I hadn't thought about this movie in a long time. Thank you for the review Kevin.

I really like William H. Macy. Have you ever seen him in Door to Door?

KinkyCyborg

« Reply #479 on: November 03, 2010, 02:03:21 AM »
I hadn't thought about this movie in a long time. Thank you for the review Kevin.

I really like William H. Macy. Have you ever seen him in Door to Door?

Macy has always been a very likable, dependable actor. I own Door To Door but have yet to watch it. I thought he was great in the movie The Cooler as well.  :thumbup: