Author Topic: The Charmer: The Complete Series (1987) R2 United Kingdom  (Read 910 times)

samuelrichardscott

The Charmer: The Complete Series (1987) R2 United Kingdom
« on: May 24, 2010, 02:31:37 PM »

The Show:

If there's one thing I've learnt from watching a lot of TV on DVD, it's that ITV make some pretty damn fantastic dramas. I was happy then, when I received the press release for The Charmer: The Complete Series into my inbox asking if I would like a review copy of the two disc set. I remembered that recently ITV have made a string of successful dramas including things such as Bad Girls, Band Of Gold, A Touch Of Frost, Where The Heart Is and Footballer's Wives so immediately realising that this was an ITV drama, aswell as noticing what looked to be a rather strong cast, I said yes. What a mistake.

The Charmer stars Nigel Havers (Quiet Days In Clichy, Empire Of The Sun) as Ralph Ernest Gorse, a minor public schoolboy who has become enthralled with the social chain, seducing women and conning men out of their money and power in order to continue his lavish lifestyle. He doesn't really care how he does it, as long as it gets done, with the tale ending in a story of murder. Winning two BAFTA's I really thought this was going to be an enjoyable show but I was just so wrong. The story is slow, the dialogue is painful and the acting is what you would expect if Jean Claude Van-Damme, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Dolph Lundgren were to morph into the body size of Keanu Reeves. Havers really does do a poor job here and wooden really isn't the word to describe it. Unfortunately, I struggle to find anything to write about this show at all, let alone anything good and would therefore recommend you stay away from this mini-series no matter how cheap you see it or how much the cast takes your fancy. Just say NO!

Here is a quick look at the six episodes (three per disc):

Gorse The Tempter - Starting off in September 1938 Gorse is down to his last few pounds and meets colonel's widow Joan Plumleigh-Bruce. Despite a large age gap, Gorse charms her into falling for him. Originally aired 18th October 1987.

Gorse The Investor - Gorse needs some money in order to woo Clarice Manners and discovers that Joan Plumleigh-Bruce has a large sum safely invested that he decides to swindle. Originally aired 25th October 1987.

Gorse The Deceiver - Gorse has blown the £1000 that he took from Joan thanks to 6 months of high living and needs to earn some money fast. He quickly organises a poker party at a plush hotel. Originally aired 1st November 1987.

Gorse In The Middle - Mr Bennett swallows the fact that Gorse is his son-in-law and throws a lavish wedding. Gorse soon finds he won't ever be a partner in the business so he resorts to something drastic and dangerous. Originally aired 8th November 1987.

Gorse The Imposter - Gorse is now a private in the army and learns he is due to be sent to France to fight. He deserts the army and steals the uniform of a young drunken pilot, in which he finds his next victim. Originally aired 15th November 1987.

Gorse At The End - Joan and Mr Stimpson travel to a mortuary to identify a body only to find it isn't the one of Gorse. He must make a desperate escape aided by Clarice. Originally aired 22nd November 1987.

The DVD:

Video:
Network have provided the show with a 4:3 transfer, the original aspect ratio. The opening credit sequences suffers from distortion and a lack of clarity with far too much grain. The show itself however, is of a much better quality. It also contains some frequent grain and dirt, but the colours are good and clear. Could be better, could be worse.

Audio:
Network have provided us with the original English Dolby Digital Mono track here and it's OK. The show is mainly dialogue aimed and there would be no need for an upmixed stereo or surround track. Dialogue was clear at all times and music levels consistent with minimal background hiss. As usual with Network releases, no subtitles have been provided.

Extras:

Just one extra on this release and it is an interview with Nigel Havers with Michael Aspel on the Aspel & Co. television program. Running a short ten minutes in length the interview is pretty uninteresting talking about Havers father and how it is working in Australia. Havers tries to be funny throughout but the only funny thing in this interview is his poor choice of shirt and tie. No dress co-ordination.