Author Topic: Some Year End Totals...  (Read 44177 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Some Year End Totals...
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2008, 09:04:13 PM »
My most expensive item this year was "Smallville: Season 7" for $40,62, directly followed by the "Death Note" movie boxset for $39,99.
My first item this year was "Rodgers & Hammerstein's Cinderella".
My probably last items were today's Blu-ray titles (including "The Dark Knight", "WALL-E", "Ratatouille", "Enchanted", "Iron Man", "Spider-Man 3").
My least expensive item this year (not counting gifts) was Idaho Transfer for $0.87.

OK... we adding to the info:
First Item of Year: This was a tie between Halloween: 2 Disc Special Edition: Unrated and Resident Evil: Extinction
Last Item of the Year: Christmas Gifts... The Incredible Hulk (2 TV Movie Collection), The Facts of Life: Seasons 1 & 2 and Sabrina the Teenage Witch: Season 4
Most Expensive: The Brady Bunch: Complete Series for $89.99
Least Expensive: 1408, Dead Silence, Evan Almighty, Planet Terror and Vacancy all tied for $0.49 joining Columbia House.
Pete

Najemikon

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2008, 09:25:53 PM »
But what was your best value title?  :-X
Define "best value"? Emotionally? Price/Minute?

A compromise really, but mainly price. Buying something because it was cheap so you thought you might as well have it doesn't count; getting hold of something valuable that you wanted for a long time but couldn't justify paying full-price would.

For me, it would probably be the John Wayne Paramount Collection for £13.50 off Ebay. It was long out of print, superseded by an inferior John Wayne Westerns version, yet still costing north of £35. It might be second-hand, but it was unwatched.  :thumbup:

Other titles of note:

First: Gone in 60 Seconds
Last: 300 (Blu-Ray) :yahoo:
Most Expensive: The Godfather Coppola Restoration boxset (£17.98)
Least Expensive: Alien: Resurrection (55p)  :hysterical:

I could have sworn I'd had something more expensive than the Godfather set, but no.  :shrug:

Offline goodguy

• Heavy Poster
  • Colleen West never liked the first light of day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2008, 12:31:46 AM »
Movies66  733.03 EUR(11.11 per item)
TV Series  9217.04 EUR  (24.12 per item)

FirstStardust (R1-US, Paramount)
LastThe Last Days of Disco (R2-DE, Warner)
Most ExpensiveJohn From Cincinatti (R1-US, HBO)  41.25 EUR
Least Expensive  Northfork (R2-UK, Metrodome)3.83 EUR

All converted to EUR and S&H included.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:33:43 AM by goodguy »
Matthias

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2008, 01:52:37 AM »
Nice idea to add this Karsten

First of the year : The Bermuda Triangle (78) and Guyana: Cult of the Damned (79)
Last of the year : Space: 1999 - Megaset (probably get it tomorrow)
Most Expensive : Angel Guts - 5 discs collector's edition (79,95 USD)
Least Expensive : Frank Lloyd Wright's Buffalo and Philosophy of a Knife (free)
Least Expensive : Horrors of Spider Island (2,12 $CDN)

RossRoy

« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2008, 05:43:48 AM »
Might as well post my numbers too - now that I have access to them again!  :laugh:

In 2008:
New Titles Added: 362 titles (386 profiles)

First Items of Year: tie

Last Items of the Year: tie

Most Expensive: $254.99 (SRP 399.98)

Least Expensive: $3.95 (SRP 27.98)

Most and Least expensive do not take into account the free DVD I got - or the gifts I received. It also doesn't take into account currency values.

Best value:
I'd have to say all the Anime I bought this year. It's hard to beat 25 titles for 100$ when they are usually sold at around 20-25$ each.
-- Or --
The Sopranos: The Complete Series. I've had my eyes of getting the whole series for a little while, but never could get myself to plunk down the asking price for each season individually. I also wanted to make sure all the sets had the french dub (which I understand the whole set does) because I have people in my family who will want to watch it, but have not moved on from dubbed stuff. The whole set that came out fixed that somewhat. I still paid a bit more that I wanted - but the nice packging and presentation of the Complete Series set makes up for it.

It's my second most "productive" year since I started collecting. Which is bad. I wanted to take it down. I'll try and do better next year. Which makes me realise what my resolution for 2009 will be: buy less DVD!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 05:45:47 AM by RossRoy »

Offline Achim

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2008, 06:17:25 AM »
Well, I don't want to get into the pricing stuff too much (lucky I can't see those stats from work anyway), but here is the rest, according my phpDVDProfiler:

Purchased items: 197 (incl. 2 which are still in the mail)
That is more than last year (yet again) and that trend MUST be stopped. Of course, going to Hong Kong twice, the 25% percent sale at DeepDiscount.com and several Blu-ray sales at Amazon didn't help :-[

First item: Razorback (Widescreen Collectors Edition)
Last item: The Mummy (Delixe Edition)

Most expensive was probably the The Dark Knight Limited Edition with the bat-bike.

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2008, 08:25:32 AM »
According to my profiler, I got 168 DVDs in 2008.  I thought it would have been higher, but I went for a while earlier in the year not getting many.

First for the year was and .

Last for the year - unless I get something tomorrow..lol - , , and .

I haven't figured out what was the most expensive or cheapest for the year.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2008, 09:40:37 AM »
Which makes me realise what my resolution for 2009 will be: buy less DVD!

And buy more Blu-ray  :laugh:

lyonsden5

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2008, 02:16:43 PM »
Holy Crap Batman....

2008 = 774 Profiles added  :o :stars: over 450 actual numbers added to DVDP (I number each movie and each TV Season)
I spent $2,894 in 2008 for an average of 3.74 per profile.

I had no idea it was that much this year.  :bag:

RossRoy

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »

Not for me. I'm still not sold on the whole Blu-ray bandwagon, and I still have no intention of taking the plunge anytime soon.

Najemikon

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »

Not for me. I'm still not sold on the whole Blu-ray bandwagon, and I still have no intention of taking the plunge anytime soon.

That was me as well. But I'm now happily on the bandwagon, snoozing at the back. In fact, I wonder if they'll let me drive it?  :whistle:

RossRoy

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 11:03:21 PM »
That was me as well. But I'm now happily on the bandwagon, snoozing at the back. In fact, I wonder if they'll let me drive it?  :whistle:

I honestly don't see any benefit to Blu-ray for me - especially since I watch all my movies on a 22" screen. Of course, if I had a 40+ inch screen, my opinion would most probably change, but as it stands now, I'm perfectly happy with my 22" screen and I don't plan to change it.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 11:33:33 PM »
I'm not on the Blue-Ray bandwagon too and I honestly see no reasons to jump on it anytime soon. Maybe the picture is better (the TV certainly play a role more important than you think for it), but you know what I watched mostly and I don't see nothing positive in the fact to see my kind of movie too clean. You add the fact that most of the time the movie that were on dvd before get a crappy release on BR (What can I say I like the dvd extra and I watch them all). Finally from another comment by Jon it seems that the picture looks like a direct to dvd filmed with a digital camera, just that is enough for me : I hate the look of it  :yucky: this is the reason why I've not bought "Diary of the Dead" yet.

Najemikon

« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »
Oooh dear, should have known to keep my mouth shut about that! :-[ People who have Blu-Ray and specifically a TV capable of using what mine calls Trumotion, will know what I mean. It's specifically the motion, not the quality. After years of watching films at 25/26 frames, the switch to a more realistic 24 is surprising and worth getting used to.

If you're thinking everything suddenly looks like Diary of the Dead, then I've seriously misled you and I'm about to get kicked off the bandwagon! :tomato:

I can't find a demo to try and show you the effect. Click here: LG 42LG7000 and then the "100hz TruMotion" button at the bottom. It's very small and brief but you might see what I mean.

Thing is, I've always wanted a bigger screen and as soon as I got that, I needed to fill it properly! Below 32", I wouldn't bother either.

Offline Jimmy

• Mega Heavy Poster
  • Yes this is me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
Just check the demo and like I've said this is the tv that is better not the media format. By the way the one with the music sheets is really exaggerated, the first one seems too blurry like the tv picture was not ajusted at all. I know that those new tv are better, I'm not again all the new technology (I don't watch my film on a 500 pound B/W TV cabinet :laugh:) I'm just not convinced that the blue ray format is that much better than the current media format.