Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858494 times)

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #525 on: October 25, 2009, 12:00:07 PM »
Thus far Sheldon shows no interest towards any woman at all

Yet. But Sheldon is, just like he likes to think of himself, Spock. He ignores his human emotions and just concentrates on his analytical side. But just like Spock he will have to learn, that he cannot ignore his emotions forever and he will have to deal with them. And I think Penny would be just perfect for him when that part of him comes out.

But I agree, that getting them together now would be too fast. This is why I said that it should happen if the series is long enough. On the other side I hope that it will not be too long. Nowadays I prefer short TV shows. Then the rewatch value is much higher.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: October 25, 2009, 03:53:42 PM »

Title: Crime Traveller
Year: 1997
Director:
Rating: PG
Length: 197 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Meet the most unconventional investigative duo of any time - JEFF SLADE and HOLLY TURNER, in the mystery adventure series Crime Traveller.

Sleuths come and go, working on intuition, luck and clues, but Slade and his science officer colleague Holly are armed with something extra in their fight against crime - their very own Time Machine.

Invented and developed over the years by Holly's father, quantum physicist Professor Fredrick Turner, the Time Machine is a bizarre mixture of DIY technology, but it works. Unfortunately the Professor disappeared during one of his time travel experiments, leaving his daughter convinced that he is still out there somewhere, stuck in another dimension.

Holly is now in charge of the Professor's extraordinary legacy, which is kept hidden in her apartment. When Slade, a charming maverick detective, discovers the Time Machine's existence, he convinces Holly to use it in order to solve major crimes. The scene is set for a rollercoaster ride, through the present and the past.

High speed chases and intriguing puzzles are solved with the aid of their unreliable Time Machine, in this stylish, fast-paced drama.

Extras:
Episode Guide and Synopsis'
Interviews
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I have watched the first series now and I must say, that even though I was sceptical after the first episode, I quite enjoyed it. I didn't have a problem with how the machine looked. It was built by her father after all over a period of many years. Its material is from different times. E.g. some vacuum tubes are still used. As for closing the curtains: As I understood it, that the closing of the wooden curtains also closes a special circuit. And everyone inside that circuit (i.e. inside the room) travels through time.
I had a problem with the huge wrist-watch though. Luckily it was hardly seen.
What I liked about this series is, that they sticked to their established time-travel principle, that nothing can be changed in the past. Everything you see always happened this way. Some stuff you see before the time-travel happened, but we later find out, that they were caused by the time-travellers themselves.
To summarize: This is an average crime-solving TV series with a little time-travel twist. The first episode is rather weak, but I enjoyed the other three episodes of this first series. Especially the last one.

#EpisodeRating
01Jeff Slade & The Loop of Infinity
02A Death in the Family
03Fashion Shoot
04The Revenge of the Chronology Protection Hypothesis
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:33:48 PM by Tom »

Najemikon

« Reply #527 on: October 25, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
I vaguely remember this, but it never found an audience unfortunately. We just haven't seen enough of Chloe on TV. Glad she popped up in the new Red Dwarf at least...

Offline Dragonfire

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dragonfire88 Pbwiki
« Reply #528 on: October 25, 2009, 10:08:15 PM »
I do think Penny and Sheldon have wonderful interactions, but I don't see them as a couple.  Sheldon has accepted her as a friend..but I don't think he'd go further.  He doesn't even talk about liking women.  The closest he's really come is when he sort of stole Raj's date..and even then he had no clue what he'd done wrong.
Or when his groupies invited themselves to his home he was just happy to get a fee dinner. (Obviously it went all downhill after the dinner, but you've all already seen it anyway).

As much as I agree that Leonhard (or whatever he's spelled like) is a whiner I can see that getting Sheldon together with Penny in just one season, or no more than two, would be entirely wrong and against character. Maybe he and the Sara Gilbert character can somehow overcome their animosity....? :hmmmm:

Right.  Even once he just barely got rid of the first one, there he was letting it start again..and only thinking of a free pizza or cheeseburger or whatever the girl was going to be bringing. 

Leonard does whine sometimes, but it doesn't bother me.  I could see Penny and Sheldon's friendship getting stronger..she already does sweet things for him at times, so maybe in time he will act bit nicer toward her.  Though if Sheldon stopped acting the way he does toward most people - including Penny - then he wouldn't be Sheldon anymore.  It could be interesting to see him in an actual dating relationship with someone.  Though I'm thinking for it to actually work, it would have to be a new character who is more..unique like Sheldon.  Sort of like a younger version of Leonard's mother maybe.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: October 26, 2009, 12:01:06 AM »

Title: Crime Traveller II
Year: 1998
Director:
Rating: PG
Length: 195 Min.
Subtitles:

Plot:
Meet the most unconventional investigative duo of any time - JEFF SLADE and HOLLY TURNER, in the mystery adventure series Crime Traveller.

Sleuths come and go, working on intuition, luck and clues, but Slade and his science officer colleague Holly are armed with something extra in their fight against crime - their very own Time Machine.

Invented and developed over the years by Holly's father, quantum physicist Professor Fredrick Turner, the Time Machine is a bizarre mixture of DIY technology, but it works. Unfortunately the Professor disappeared during one of his time travel experiments, leaving his daughter convinced that he is still out there somewhere, stuck in another dimension.

Holly is now in charge of the Professor's extraordinary legacy, which is kept hidden in her apartment. When Slade, a charming maverick detective, discovers the Time Machine's existence, he convinces Holly to use it in order to solve major crimes. The scene is set for a rollercoaster ride, through the present and the past.

High speed chases and intriguing puzzles are solved with the aid of their unreliable Time Machine, in this stylish, fast-paced drama.

Extras:
Episode Guide and Synopsis'
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I have now finished up this TV show. I really enjoyed it. Now I am a little sad that there are only eight episodes overall. But probably is it for the best. I think it would have been very hard to keep up this concept for longer.

#EpisodeRating
01Sins of the Father
02Death Minister
03The Lottery Experiment
04The Broken Crystal

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: October 27, 2009, 04:17:58 PM »

Title: Lesbian Vampire Killers
Year: 2008
Director: Phil Claydon
Rating: 15
Length: 87 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.35
Audio: English: DTS HD Master Audio, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Mathew Horne
James Corden
Paul McGann
Myanna Buring
Silvia Colloca

Plot:
Award winning comedy-duo James Corden and Mathew Horne (Gavin & Stacey) decide to escape their problems and head to Wales for a weekend of debauchery.

Things don't quite go according to plan and they find themselves stuck in a village where all of the women have been enslaved by a legendary vampire curse. As the night unfolds the boys have to put all of their fears (and dreams!) behind them in order to rise to the challenge of becoming Lesbian Vampire Killers.

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Fletch-Meister
Music Videos
Scene Access
Swear Reel
Trailers
Webisodes

My Thoughts:
After I had seen it at the FantasyFilmFest, I have written here:
"A hundred times more fun than Doghouse. This movie doesn't take itself remotely serious, which was the right direction to go. Where Doghouse thinks of itself as a second "Shaun of the Dead" and failing miserably, this one knows that it is far from it and just wants to have fun. It is far from being a good movie, but it has been the most fun of the ones I have watched so far at the current FantasyFilmFest."

I still enjoyed this movie, but I liked it much better when watching it in a theatre full of film buffs laughing their asses off.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 30, 2009, 04:26:21 PM »

Title: Veronica Mars: Season One
Year: 2004
Director:
Rating: FSK-12
Length: 883 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround, German: Dolby Digital Surround, Hungarian: Dolby Digital Surround, Italian: Dolby Digital Surround, Spanish: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Plot:
A little bit Buffy. A little bit Bogart. A dash of Nancy Drew. Veronica Mars takes the best and brainiest of the American culture of crimesolving and adds a unique vision of its own - brooding, edgy, darkly funny and just plain dark - to become one of the hottest, sleekest series of the new century.

Veronica (Kristen Bell) is an outcast in a trendy SoCal beach town. Once she ran with Neptune High's in crowd. But she's on the outside after her best friend is murdered and her sheriff father accuses the wrong man as the perp: the dead girl's billionaire father. Dad loses his job, Veronica loses her popularity and both struggle to build a detective agency and new lives. E-mail scams, cults, car thefts - you name it, Veronica investigates it. But her obsession is the murder of her friend. And she'll take any risk to solve it.

Awards:
American Film Institute Awards2005WonTV Programs of the Year
Saturn2004NominatedBest Actress - Television SeriesKristin Bell
Saturn2005WonBest Actress in a Television SeriesKristen Bell
Saturn2006NominatedBest Actress in a Television SeriesKristen Bell
Saturn2005NominatedBest Network Television Series
Saturn2006NominatedBest Network Television Series
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice TV Breakout Performance - FemaleKristen Bell
Teen Choice Awards2005NominatedChoice TV Breakout Show
Teen Choice Awards2006NominatedTV - Choice Actress: Drama/Action AdventureKristen Bell
Teen Choice Awards2006NominatedTV - Choice Parental UnitEnrico Colantoni
Teen Choice Awards2006NominatedTV - Choice SidekickPercy Daggs

Extras:
Deleted Scenes

My Thoughts:
When this first season was on sale, I finally took the chance to check this series out. For me it was very much like taking Chloe (my favorite character from Smallville) and giving her her own series. Veronica is very similar to her in my opinion.
I liked this season. Though I liked it from the start, I am not sure if I would have stayed with it if I would have started watching it while it originally aired. But watching all episodes in a row it constantly kept my interest.
But it was only towards the end it really sucked me in. But what a damn cliffhanger the last scene is! I wanted to wait with buying the second season until a later point, but now I am not sure if I can wait. But I will probably be disappointed with the resolution to this scene.
(click to show/hide)

This series has also interesting choices of guest-stars. Although I was put off when Paris Hilton guest-starred in the second episode, there were other appearences which were more fun. Like Alyson Hannigan, of course. Also funny, that we got two Jimmy Olsens in one episode (Smallville's Jimmy and Superman Returns' Jimmy).
Sadly they missed themselves by one episode, but we almost had a reunion with Home Improvement's Brad and Randy.
From the regulars I have only known Kristen Bell (from "Heroes" and "Forgetting Sarah Marshall") and Enrico Colantoni (from "Just Shoot Me!" and "Galaxy Quest").

A storyline which I hope they will follow up on in the second season is Mac and her real family.

#EpisodeRating
01Pilot
02Credit Where Credit's Due
03Meet John Smith
04The Wrath of Con
05You Think You Know Somebody
06Return of the Kane
07The Girl Next Door
08Like a Virgin
09Drinking the Kool-Aid
10An Echolls Family Christmas
11Silence of the Lamb
12Clash of the Tritons
13Lord of the Bling
14Mars vs. Mars
15Ruskie Business
16Betty and Veronica
17Kanes and Abel's
18Weapons of Class Destruction
19Hot Dogs
20M.A.D.
21A Trip to the Dentist
22Leave It to Beaver

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 31, 2009, 05:57:43 PM »

Title: Starship Troopers
Year: 1997
Director: Paul Verhoeven
Rating: 18
Length: 130 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: PCM 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: DTS 5.1, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: DTS 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Icelandic, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Casper Van Dien
Dina Meyer
Denise Richards
Jake Busey
Neil Patrick Harris

Plot:
Mankind becomes an endangered species in Starship Troopers on Blu-ray's high definition disc. The director of Total Recall is recruiting you for an urgent, do-or-die mission to save humanity, made all the more thrilling in this mind-blowing new format!

The new millenium pits man against an intelligent, deadly race of alien bugs: some thirty feet tall, some that fly and all capable of destroying every living thing on Earth! Marvel at the astounding special effects and futuristic settings in bigger-than-life 1080p, and experience every jarring, action-packed battle in enhanced audio. Suit up for the definitive sci-fi adventure with Blu-ray High Definition!

Awards:
Academy Award1997NominatedBest Visual EffectsPhil Tippett, Scott E. Anderson, Alec Gillis, John Richardson
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards1998NominatedFavorite Female NewcomerDenise Richards
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards1998NominatedFavorite Male NewcomerCasper Van Dien
Hugo Award1998NominatedDramatic Presentation
MTV Movie Awards1998NominatedBest Action Sequence
Satellite Awards1998NominatedBest Motion Picture – Animated or Mixed MediaJon Davison, Alan Marshall
Satellite Awards1998NominatedBest Visual EffectsPhil Tippett, Scott E. Anderson
Saturn1997NominatedBest CostumesEllen Mirojnick
Saturn1997NominatedBest DirectorPaul Verhoeven
Saturn1997NominatedBest Science Fiction Film
Saturn1997NominatedBest ScreenplayEdward Neumeier
Saturn1997WonBest Special EffectsPhil Tippett, Scott E. Anderson, Alec Gillis, Tom Woodruff, Jr., John Richardson

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Interviews
Movie Showcase
Scene Access
Screen Tests
Trailers

My Thoughts:
A well executed sci-fi action movie. I enjoyed it. And a nice satire of the American militarism. I was surprised by Denise Richards. She was more tolerable than usual. And we see the beginning of Dr. Horrible :laugh: In some scenes I really thought that this shows an evil mastermind at work.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 31, 2009, 05:58:04 PM »

Title: Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation
Year: 2003
Director: Phil Tippett
Rating: 18
Length: 92 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, French: Dolby Digital TrueHD, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Commentary, English, French, Hindi

Stars:
Billy Brown
Richard Burgi
Kelly Carlson
Cy Carter
Tim Conlin

Plot:
In this rapid-fire sequel to the cult favorite, the Federation's best Mobile Infantry unit goes back into action against the Bug horde. But this time, the Bugs are waiting for them. Trapped on a remote outpost light years from the nearest reinforcements, a small group of soldiers fights an enemy smarter and more cunning than any they've ever faced. Now they must join forces with an infamous traitor to the Federation if they are to have any hope. And it's not just their lives at stake, it's the survival of the human race. If they want to live, they'll have to use their heads before the Bugs do! Academy Award® winner Phil Tippett (1993, Best Visual Effects for Jurassic Park), one of the greatest visual effects wizards in movie history, makes his directorial debut.

Awards:
Saturn2004WonBest DVD Release

Extras:
BD-Live
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is your average bodysnatcher movie. Not my favorite kind of movie. Also the direction and acting is below average. Special effects are okay for a direct-to-DVD movie. But I really was bothered by the action scenes outside the building. They had only a few small covers where the soldier hide behind and are managing to keep thousands of bugs at bay while having idle conversations. This is just poor direction.
The story is very unoriginal, but if you like bodysnatcher movies, this one is watchable.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 14, 2009, 11:11:19 PM »

Title: Banlieue 13
Year: 2004
Director: Pierre Morel
Length: 85 Min.
Audio: French: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
Cyril Raffaelli
David Belle
Tony D'Amario
Larbi Naceri
Dany Verissimo

Plot:
DISTRICT 13

In the year 2010 a wall is built around a Paris suburb that contains the city's most criminal elements. Kingpin Taha rules all that is inside, but makes the mistake of kidnapping the sister of a local imprisoned hero, Leito. With nothing to lose, Leito teams up with an undercover cop to take Taha down.

Written and produced by Luc Besson and featuring stunts from the team behind The Transporter, District 13 has to be seen to be believed. No wires, no special effects, no limits. Just an explosive mix of jaw-dropping free running and spectacular action.

Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Outtakes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I have seen the sequel to this movie first at this year's FantasyFilmFest. I really enjoyed it, so I have bought the double-feature package on Blu-ray. As expected, this movie is very similar to the sequel. Although I have the feeling, that the sequel had more martial arts action in it. Also it was more light-hearted and fun. But I will see if I remember that correctly, when I will rewatch the sequel.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 22, 2009, 05:39:38 PM »

Title: Banlieue 13 - Ultimatum
Year: 2009
Director: Patrick Alessandrin
Length: 101 Min.
Audio: French: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital 5.1

Stars:
David Belle
Cyril Raffaelli
Philippe Torreton
Daniel Duval
Elodie Yung

Plot:
D13-U DISTRICT 13 ULTIMATUM

Three years after bringing order to the District, Damien and Leito return on a mission to bring peace to the troubled sector that is now controlled by five different gang bosses, before the city's secret services take drastic measures to solve the problem.

This second instalment offers a heady mix of gang violence and breathtaking chase sequences, bigger and better than before. Raffaelli and Belle re-team to run, flip, jump, tumble, twist, punch, kick and head-butt their way to saving the slum from destruction.

Awards:
Extras:
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Music Videos
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This movie is very similar to its predecessor. I remembered it having more action, but even that is similar to the first movie. If you are bothered by a sequel rehashing the first movie, then you maybe won't like it that much. But if you enjoyed the first one and are not bothered by it, then you probably also will enjoy the second one.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 25, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »

Title: Blood Ties: The Complete Series
Year: 2006
Director:
Length: 950 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.78
Subtitles:

Stars:

Plot:
After witnessing a horrific demonic murder at the side of a Toronto roadway, private investigator Vicki Nelson finds herself on a collision course with another citizen investigating the case. He is Henry Fitzroy - former Duke of Richmond, cutting-edge graphic novelist and 470-year-old vampire.

To solve the brutal murder, Vicki finds herself collaborating, against her better judgement, with the suave and seductive Fitzroy. The relationship soon progresses beyond a purely professional arrangement, complicating her long term love affair with ex-partner Detective Mike Celluci... and pretty well everything else in her life.

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed watching this series, even though most episodes are rather average. But there are some really good ones. My favorite is 5:55, which is a "Groundhog Day" episode (a rather good one at that).
On one hand I am glad that it is only one season, but sadly it ends in a big cliffhanger character-wise for all three main characters.

It doesn't hurt that Christina Cox is hot. I thought it was interesting, to have her character be an ex-cop who dropped out because of her eye condition. She is developing tunnel vision. But sadly they use this handicap very sparingly, except in the first half of the series, where they seem to have it mentioned at least once per episode, but never really be a point in the plot.
Dylan Neal is great as her ex-partner, who must struggle between being sucked into her new world (supernatural crime fighting), and still having to live the life of a regular cop and its responsibilities.
Kyle Schmid does also a great job as the vampire Henry.

#EpisodeRating
01Blood Price Part One
02Blood Price Part Two
03Bad Juju
04Gifted
05Deadly Departed
06Love Hurts
07Heart of Ice
08Heart of Fire
09Stone Cold
10Necrodrome
11Post Partum
12Norman
13D.O.A.
14Wild Blood
155:55
16Bugged
17The Devil You Know
18Drawn and Quartered
19Wrapped
20The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
21We'll Meet Again
22Deep Dark

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 25, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »

Title: Dawson's Creek: Season Four
Year: 2000
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 999 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: Portuguese, Spanish

Stars:

Plot:
It's senior year for Dawson, Joey, Pacey, Jen and Jack! After spending the summer together, Joey and Pacey find it difficult to keep their romance going with the realities of school, college applications and their strained relationship with Dawson. Dawson rediscovers his true life's dream, Jen turns over a new leaf after getting a new boyfriend, and Jack tries to rebuild relationships after revealing he's gay. This DVD includes new music exclusively provided for this release including the international opening theme song.

Awards:
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedTV - Choice ActorJames Van Der Beek
Teen Choice Awards1999WonTV - Choice ActorJoshua Jackson
Teen Choice Awards2000WonTV - Choice ActorJoshua Jackson
Teen Choice Awards2001WonTV - Choice ActorJoshua Jackson
Teen Choice Awards2002NominatedTV - Choice Actor, DramaJoshua Jackson
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedTV - Choice ActressKatie Holmes
Teen Choice Awards2000NominatedTV - Choice ActressKatie Holmes
Teen Choice Awards2001NominatedTV - Choice ActressKatie Holmes
Teen Choice Awards2002NominatedTV - Choice Actress, DramaKatie Holmes
Teen Choice Awards1999NominatedTV - Choice Breakout PerformanceRachael Leigh Cook, Meredith Monroe
Teen Choice Awards1999WonTV - Choice Drama
Teen Choice Awards2000WonTV - Choice Drama
Teen Choice Awards2001NominatedTV - Choice Drama
Teen Choice Awards2002NominatedTV - Choice Drama/Action Adventure
Teen Choice Awards2002NominatedTV - Choice SidekickBusy Philipps

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Interactive Game
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
After I have seen Joshua Jackson in a supporting role in "Apt Pupil" and Dylan Neal as one of the main stars in "Blood Ties", I had the urge to finally continue watching Dawson's Creek. I had stopped watching after the third season set and had the fourth season now for five years in my unwatched pile.
I thought that I had passed on watching the fourth season when it originally aired, but most of the season was familiar to me. So I must have watched it after all. I am surprised how much I enjoyed it.
I was a fan of the Joey/Pacey storyline in season three, so I was a little wary about watching this season, where the inevitable of those two was to happen. Because sadly they think in this kind of series, that it is boring to keep a couple together for too long. I had thought that the breakup was very much in the beginning of the season, so I was pleasantly surprised that the relationship was going fairly strong throughout the season. The breakup came towards the end.

As for the other storylines (spoiler alert):
- I didn't like Dru Valentine character. I know we aren't supposed to like him, but the character just didn't work for me at all.
- Dawson getting close to Pacey's older sister. I was skeptical at first, but I think the storyline wasn't so bad after all.
- Andie left the series after the first few episodes. I always liked her character, but I never really liked her storylines. And is these are resolved, it is now wonder they have written her out of the show. Not much to tell anymore.
- Jen was always my least favorite character. And I don't like it that they on the one hand show her as having changed compared to her wild past, but they take any opportunity they can to have her fall back into her old ways (drinking).
- Mitch and Gail (Dawson's parents) are getting another baby. Not really an exciting storyline, but I always like it, when The Flash (John Wesley Shipp) is on-screen.
- Jack's struggles with being gay is an ok ongoing storyline.
- Harve Presnell as the aging and grumpy old-time Hollywood director is a joy to watch.
- Harry Shearer as the school principal is a riot :)

#EpisodeRating
01Coming Home
02Falling Down
03Two Gentlemen of Capeside
04Future Tense
05A Family Way
06Great Xpectations
07You Had Me At Goodbye
08The Unusual Suspects
09Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
10Self-Reliance
11The Tao of Dawson
12The Te of Pacey
13Hopeless
14A Winter's Tale
15Four Stories
16Mind Games
17Admissions
18Eastern Standard Time
19Late
20Promicide
21Separation Anxiety
22The Graduate
23Coda

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 25, 2009, 09:58:14 PM »
Thanks for the Blood Ties review Tom... I still only watched the 2 part pilot episode at this point.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 12, 2009, 06:27:44 PM »

Title: Starship Troopers 3: Marauder
Year: 2008
Director: Ed Neumeier
Length: 105 Min.
Video: Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, Czech: Dolby Digital 5.1, Hungarian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Polish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Russian: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Arabic, Bulgarian, Commentary, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Norwegian, Polish, Romanian, Slovakian, Slovenian, Swedish, Turkish

Stars:
Casper Van Dien
Jolene Blalock
Stephen Hogan
Boris Kodjoe
Amanda Donohoe

Plot:
STARSHIP TROOPERS 3: MARAUDER[/i] explodes with a mind-blowing man-on-bug combat. Col. Johnny Rico (Casper Van Diem) is back to lead his team on a secret mission to rescue a small crew of troopers starnded on the remote planet of OM-1. Battling bugs both new and old, the new "Marauder" advanced weapons technology maybe their only hope against a treasonous element operating within the Federation itself. As Captain Lola Black (Jolene Blalock) and the rest of the starship crew fight to survive in the harsh conditions, it begins to dawn on them that something on OM-1 is very, very wrong. This time the bugs have a secret weapon that could destroy humanity. Join the Mobile Infantry in this intergalactic action-packed adventure.

Extras:
BD-Live
Commentary
Featurettes
Music Videos
PiP
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I enjoyed this one much more than the second part. Like the first part it is again much more self-satirical about the fascist aspects of the federation. Although I think it is just trying to hard to top the first one in this regard and undermines the first one a bit.
Although the religious aspect is just ridiculous. I am not sure if it is supposed to be funny or not. The religious characters constantly complain about stuff being blasphemy. What is blaphemic about cursing using "f*cking"? If I would be religious, I probably would have found some imaginery blasphemic. Like a gun symbolizing a cross or the "The Creation of Adam" (by Michelangelo) recreation.
I am taking the religious stuff like it is supposed to be a parody (it probably is), and think of it as being purposefully idiotic.

Rating: