Author Topic: Tom's Random Reviews  (Read 858238 times)

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
Re: Tom's Random Reviews
« Reply #360 on: June 07, 2009, 09:44:39 PM »
Yeah... that did look cheap in the Lynda Carter series... but I think it always worked good in the cartoons.
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
    • Cinematic Collection Viewer
« Reply #361 on: June 08, 2009, 06:14:20 PM »

Title: Mallrats
Year: 1995
Director: Kevin Smith
Rating: R
Length: 95 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Shannen Doherty
Jeremy London
Jason Lee
Claire Forlani
Ben Affleck

Plot:
From Kevin Smith, the acclaimed director of Clerks, comes this outrageous story of two loafers, Jeremy London (The Babysitter) and Jason Lee (Kissing a Fool), who spend way too much time hanging out at the mall.

When Brodie (Lee) is dumped by his girlfriend, Shannen Doherty (Heathers, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun), he retreats to the mall with his best friend T.S. (London), whose girlfriend has also left him. Between brooding and visits to the food court, the unmotivated twosome decide to win their girlfriends back with the help of the ultimate delinquents, Silent Bob (Kevin Smith) and Jay (Jason Mewes), whose continuing adventures take the word "nuisance" to a whole new level.

Extras:
8 Page Booklet
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Multi Angle
Music Videos
Photo Gallery
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The most underated Kevin Smith movie (even by Smith himself). There are a lot of laughs in this one. And the Stan Lee cameo is great. This movie was the first acting role of Jason Lee and one of the first roles for Ben Affleck.
Also fun to see Jason Lee and Ethan Suplee together in a scene. Ten years later they play brothers on the TV series "My Name Is Earl".

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 08, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »

Title: Clerks II
Year: 2006
Director: Kevin Smith
Rating: R
Length: 97 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, Spanish

Stars:
Brian O'Halloran
Jeff Anderson
Jason Mewes
Kevin Smith
Jake Richardson

Plot:
Writer-director Kevin Smith returns to the scene of his cult comedy classic Clerks to pick up his nothing-is-sacred style of humor...and push it right over the edge!

Ten years after the original, slacker heroes Dante (Brian O'Halloran) and Randal (Jeff Anderson) have become "funployees" at Mooby's fast food. In addition to offending customers and debating anything and everything, their responsibilities now include ragging on their uber-nerd co-worker (Trevor Fehrman) and teasing their sexy manager (Rosario Dawson). But when Dante announces his plan to leave New Jersey, Randal plots a shocking and hysterical going-away party that will alter their lives forever. Featuring cameos by Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, Wanda Sykes, and the triumphant return of Jay and Silent Bob.

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Deleted Scenes
Featurettes
Introduction by Kevin Smith & Scott Mosier
Outtakes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
This is the kind of movie Kevin Smith is supposed to do. It is great to see Dante and Randal again after 10 years. One of my favorite scenes is Randal dissing the LotR trilogy.
And like Randal said in the movie: How come that Dante always gets two hot chicks fighting over him?

Rating:

Najemikon

« Reply #363 on: June 09, 2009, 12:57:04 AM »
Sneaking a Smith marathon in as well then?  :whistle: :laugh:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: June 09, 2009, 10:17:22 AM »
Sneaking a Smith marathon in as well then?  :whistle: :laugh:

To quote myself:
Maybe I will also watch one or two Smith movies outside a dedicated marathon.

These two movies were the main reason for including the option for a Kevin Smith marathon. I haven't watched Mallrats for years and Clerk 2 is the "View Askewniverse" movie I have watched the least so far.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 09, 2009, 05:51:01 PM »

Title: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Volume Two
Year: 2003
Director:
Rating: NR
Length: 286 Min.
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.78
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
This second of three exciting volumes features the remaining 13 episodes from Season One of the 2002 He-Man® and the Masters of hte Universe series! With Castle Grayskull™ now in his sight, Skeletor™ attemps to overthrow the Sorceress™ and gain the power of the Elders! The Masters of the Universe® discover new allies in Sy-Klone™ and Roboto™, as the Evil Warriors expand their ranks with Stinkor™ and Two Bad™. The battle for Eternia™ reaches a spectacular climax with the appearance of the Snake Men but it is Skeletor™ who looks to gain everything as he assembles his council of Evil...

For the first time on DVD, discover just why this Emmy® award winning series entertained fans of the original cartoon, while welcoming a new generation!

Extras:
Commentary
Featurettes
Scene Access
Storyboard Comparisons

My Thoughts:
After watching the animated Wonder Woman movie recently, I got into the mood watching the second volume of the rebooted He-Man series, as the animation and character design in Wonder Woman reminded me of this series.
I enjoyed watching it so much, that I watched all 13 episodes of this volume in two sittings. This volume (which is the second half of the first season) finishes with a great cliffhanger.

#EpisodeRating
14Underworld
15The Monster Within
16The Mystery of Anwat Gar
17Roboto's Gambit
18Trust
19Orko's Garden
20Buzz-Off's Pride
21Snake Pit
22The Island
23The Sweet Smell of Victory
24Separation
25The Council of Evil Part 1
26The Council of Evil Part 2

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 11, 2009, 12:27:46 AM »

Title: Triumph of Love
Year: 2002
Director: Clare Peploe
Rating: PG-13
Length: 112 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital Surround
Subtitles: English

Stars:
Mira Sorvino
Rachael Stirling
Ben Kingsley
Jay Rodan
Ignazio Oliva

Plot:
Academy Award-winners Mira Sorvino and Sir Ben Kingsley star in this sexy and surprising romantic comedy that is "erotic...inventive...witty!" (Peter Rainer - 'New York Magazine')

Mira Sorvino is captivating as a Princess who has fallen head over heels in love with her sworn enemy, Agis (Jay Rodan), the rightful heir to her kingdom. Driven into exile, Agis now lives with a philosopher (Sir Ben Kingsley) and his spinster sister (Fiona Shaw), who have taught Agis to hate the Princess. Determined to win Agis' love, the Princess travels to his secluded villa. There, armed with her incomparable talent for disguise and deception, the bold and beautiful Princess spins an ever-tangling web of seduction that will leave no passion unstirred...or heart untouched.

Extras:
Closed Captioned
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
I bought this originally because of Mira Sorvino. She is good in this movie (as usual). This time I also recognized another actress: Rachael Stirling who played Nan in Tipping the Velvet. Again she plays a woman who disguises herself as a man.
This movie is staged like a play including all the dialogues. The first time around I wasn't expecting it. But this time I knew this and I could enjoy it more.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 11, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »

Title: Masters of the Universe
Year: 1987
Director: Gary Goddard
Rating: PG
Length: 105 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Surround, French: Dolby Digital Surround, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Dolph Lundgren
Frank Langella
Meg Foster
Billy Barty
Courteney Cox

Plot:
Planet Eternia and the Castle of Greyskull are under threat from the evil Skeletor, who wants to take over the planet. A group of Freedom Fighters led by the heroic He-Man are accidentally transported to Earth by a mysterious Cosmic Key which holds the power to make Skeletor all-powerful. Once on Earth, He-Man joins alliances with two teenagers as they attempt to find the key and return home.

Extras:
Character Profiles
Closed Captioned
Commentary
Production Notes
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
The first time I saw this movie, I was disappointed, that there was no mention of Prince Adam. But this can be explained away with him already being He-Man at the start of the movie and no opportunity to change back.

There was a time, I enjoyed this movie more than I did now. Maybe it's because I recently watched the rebooted animated series again and saw what could have been.

I have not a major problem that most of the movie plays on earth. As a matter of fact, in the old Filmation cartoon Earth existed in the same universe. Prince Adam's mother was from there (though this fact has been done away in the reboot). It just could have been incorporated better. Too much focus was set on the Earth characters. And when Skeletor appeared on Earth with his army and fought He-Man, no soul was on the streets to see this. Strange.

Another sad fact is, that only very few characters have made the transition to the big screen. We have He-Man (I like this portrayal except for the bad accent), Skeletor (best transistion of all characters), Sorceress (a shadow of what she was in the cartoon), Man-At-Arms (okay I guess), Teela (could have been better), Beastmen (reduced to a man in costume who growls) and Evil-Lyn (liked her). The rest are new characters or simply some random stormtrooper type of cannon fodder.

Much of this movie reminds of Star Wars. The black stormtroopers, Skeletor made up like the Emperor (they both even are defeated in a similar way) and the music. Especially the theme and Skeletor's entry.

My biggest problem was Gwildor. This is a subsitute character for Orko, because the visual effects were not ready for him at the time. This comic relief character is just really out of place here. He only annoys. In the most ridiculous scenes are the ones with him. Like for example he refitted with no parts from Eternia available a car in five minutes to be more futuristic.

Also some lazy plot holes. Like this one: The whole aim of Skeletor was always to conquer/enter Castle Greyskull which he achieved here with the help of the cosmic key invented by Gwildor. When He-Man asked Gwildor, if they can use the cosmic key to get into Greyskull, he said no as Skeletor would know where they are when they use the key. So they took a tunnel from Gwildors house which lead directly into Greyskull. WTF!

I am really hoping, that a new movies will get done (which has been in development hell for a while with recent rumors that it will be out in 2011). I think it could be really great if done right. I wished they would hire some of the people behind the animation reboot as consultant though. They seem to know what the old fans expect.

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 11, 2009, 11:49:48 PM »

Title: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Beginning
Director: Gary Hartle
Length: 76 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Stars:
Cam Clarke
Kathleen Barr
Lisa Ann Beley
Garry Chalk
Brian Dobson

Plot:
Years ago, two leaders battled for Eternia, a fatastical land where compassion struggles against greed. Where one became the good King Randor, the other grew into the monster Skeletor who plans to rise once again and take Eternia. To protect the kingdom, the mystical powers of Castle Greyskull chose a hero - Randor's lazy, impulsive teenaged son Adam. Although a little relucant to take on a new secret idenity, Adam may not mind the name He-man if it can help his father.

My Thoughts:
After watching the 80s motion picture, I wanted to rewatch a decent He-Man movie. These are the first three episodes of the series, which originally aired as one pilot movie.
This movie tells the origin story of He-Man, something we never got in the original Filmation series. It is a great introduction to all the characters. And you already see, that the makers know their stuff.
One thing is needing to get used to when you know the original series: Seems that gravity on Eternia is different, as everybody seems to be able to jump real high.

This lead to a fun video clip I found once, where they put He-Man footage to the Gummibears theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nR6GRrXuNc

Rating:

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: June 12, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »

Title: The New Original Wonder Woman
Year: 1975
Director: Leonard Horn
Rating:
Length: 74 Min.
Video: Full Frame 1.33:1
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Mono, Commentary: Dolby Digital Mono
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish

Stars:
Lynda Carter
Lyle Waggoner
John Randolph
Red Buttons
Stella Stevens

Plot:
After a dogfight with a Nazi plane, U.S. Air Force Steve Trevor crashlands on an uncharted island in the Bermuda Triangle. Paradise Island is inhabited only by women, and their existence has been kept a secret for thousands of years. Learning of the Nazi threat to humanity, the Amazon princess, Diana, is chosen to accompany Trevor back to the United States to battle the Third Reich. Garbed in a skimpy red, white & blue costume and armed with a magic lasso that forces anyone within its grasp to tell the truth, Diana uses her powers as Wonder Woman to battle the forces of evil.

Extras:
Commentary
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
After watching the recent Wonder Woman movie I had the urge to watch this TV movie, which served as the pilot of the series, again. Although rather campy, it is a fun Wonder Woman movie. Lynda Carter is perfect in the role, and anyone taking on the role in the future has big shoes to fill.

Rating:

Offline addicted2dvd

• Forum Inventory
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 12, 2009, 06:50:26 PM »
I definitely agree with you there Tom!
Pete

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 13, 2009, 11:25:05 PM »

Title: A Time to Kill
Year: 1996
Director: Joel Schumacher
Rating: 15
Length: 150 Min.
Video: Widescreen 2.40
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 5.1, English: Dolby Digital TrueHD, French: Dolby Digital 5.1, German: Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian: Dolby Digital Stereo, Spanish: Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish: Dolby Digital Stereo, Portuguese: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish

Stars:
Matthew McConaughey
Sandra Bullock
Samuel L. Jackson
Kevin Spacey
Oliver Platt

Plot:
John Grisham's best seller A Time to Kill hits the screen with incendiary force, directed by Joel Schumacher (The Client). Sandra Bullock, Samuel L. Jackson, Matthew McConaughey and Kevin Spacey play the principals in a murder trial that brings a small Mississippi town's racial tensions to the flashpoint. Amid activist marches, Klan terror, media clamor and brutal riots, an unseasoned but idealistic attorney mounts a stirring courtroom battle for justice. The superb ensemble also includes Brenda Fricker, Oliver Platt, Charles S. Dutton, Ashley Judd, Patrick McGoohan, Chris Cooper and both Donald and Kiefer Sutherland.

Extras:
Scene Access
Trailers

My Thoughts:
I like courtroom dramas where an underdog is tried, and with some cunning moves by his attorney is aquitted. This is such a kind of movie and I liked it.
But I think the drama outside the courtroom has too much focus and is overdramatized in my opinion.

Funny moment: The judge compares Sandra Bullock to Lois Lane. At the moment I thought: Hey, you are right! She would be the perfect Lois Lane!

Rating:

Offline DJ Doena

• Administrator
  • Mega Heavy Poster
  • Battle Troll
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #372 on: June 13, 2009, 11:26:36 PM »
I bought this movie some time ago but never cam around to watch it. I'll have to remedy that anytime soon.
Karsten

Abraham Lincoln once said The trouble with quotes from the internet is that you never know if they're genuine.

my Blog | my DVD Profiler Tools

Najemikon

« Reply #373 on: June 14, 2009, 02:42:39 AM »
I enjoy all the Grisham court stories, but they tend to get a bit samey. I think this and The Firm are the very best ones though.

Offline Tom

• Mega Heavy Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 14, 2009, 05:21:07 PM »

Title: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Volume Three
Director:
Length: 286 Min.
Audio: English: Dolby Digital Stereo, Commentary: Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles:

Plot:
Witness for the first time ever on DVD, the thrilling conclusion to the Emmy award winning 2002 He-Man® and the Masters of the Universe® series!

In the last 13 episodes that comprise Season Two, the balance of power is disturbed when King Hiss and his Snake Men attempt to conquer Eternia! The Masters of the Universe® find themselves not only struggling with the Snake Men’s villainous threat to awaken the Snake God, Serpos, but also Hordak, Skeletor's evil former master, is seeking to return and rule the planet! Amidst this chaos, He-Man finally learns the history of his power and of his connection to the legendary warrior, King Grayskull...

Extras:
2 Masters of the Universe Collectible art cards
Commentary
DVD-ROM Content
Featurettes
Interviews
Photo Gallery
Scene Access

My Thoughts:
This finishes off the 2002 He-Man series. This volume has some great episodes in it (like the one where we learn from where He-Man's powers originate). It also introduces the Snakemen. Although I think it is great, that the series took on the snakemen, which were available in the 80's comics and toyline, but I think they overstayed they welcome. I didn't find them that interesting and the fights were rather repetitive. Also it brought some changes to the series with it, which I didn't like. Like the renaming of the series to "Masters of the Universe vs. the Snakemen" (including an inferior opening sequence) and the new armor of He-Man.
The fight against the snakemen would have been the focus for the rest of the season but the series got cancelled halfway through the season. I would have liked very much a third season. Things which were planned: Teela learns who her mother is. She-Ra would probably have been introduced at some point. And it is very likely, that Hordak would have returned.

#EpisodeRating
01The Last Stand
02To Walk With Dragons
03Out of the Past
04Rise of the Snake Men, Part 1
05Rise of the Snake Men, Part 2
06The Price of Deceit
07Of Machines and Men
08Second Skin
09The Power of Grayskull
10Web of Evil
11Rattle of the Snake